Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

scale bombs and missiles????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

scale bombs and missiles????

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 04:28 PM
sam@ata
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default scale bombs and missiles????

well i have searched and found little to choose from in the way of scale armament to hang off my jet. I have come to the conclusion that making such a load myself will have to be the way to go and i set forth the question to all,

Is there a market for scale ordnance for jets and planes that i could offer once i make the master molds?

basic build would be foam bombs with plastic fins, plastic/pvc bodies for missiles and cast parts for the noses with sheet plastic for fins. Poly expanding foam is inexpensive for the volume needed for each item and other items i have found to be plentifull

What scales would be the most requested? I currently need 1/10 scale

Modern or WW2?

My plan is to make master plugs for the various MK80 series bombs and then add either resin or plastic parts to make the laser guided type bombs and down to the slick(LDGP).
The body would be made of the expanding poly foam and formed in a mold then the addition of the fins and tails added on.
I have found several companies that make these scale weapons but at price i find suited for "master scale" class or display. My goal would be to offer similar but at a reduced cost made up from the use of commonly found plastic and pvc for bodies and then casting the noses and or fins from the foam and sheet plastic. With the emergance of the EDF and at scales too numerous to list, there would seem to be a need for scale stuff to hang off you plane for that one of a kind look.

SO what do the masses say??
Whay hasn't something been offered yet that actually looks scale and is light weight and can be had by the average modeler on a budget???

EDIT:
Ok,
scale wanted so far is 1/10, 1/8 and 1/6

Old 10-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Jet20
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: scale bombs and missiles????

We have had 1/10 scale ordnance for a while now. Mk82s, MK82s in a TER, Mk 83s and AIM-9s.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82129.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1512369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77259.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1512370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80848.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1512371  
Old 10-07-2010, 08:26 PM
sam@ata

your sets are some that i speak of. Very good products but for my A10, very costly real quick due to quanity. My goal is to try to reproduce many, quickly, cheaply per unit needed. Thats were i got the idea of the poly foam which fits the requirements nicely. The units would not take as much work to garnish a finished product as a vac-form kit. The mounting requirments would depend on the builder and could be numerous.
Depending on scale size, i have an idea to make "active" Mk82 snake eyes with deployable fins after relaease. Nothing made yet but an idea that is workable.
I have built some other vacform stuff being offered but the size was smaller than required and none offered in larger size which led me to this point so far.

I do like your TER for the mk82's.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Guillermo Ibanez
My Feedback: (1)

Are those for flying a jet with all ordinance hanged on the wings? I mean, will they support the high speed fly stresses? What about the weight?

1/8 and 1/6 scale for modern jet fighters
Old 10-07-2010, 09:04 PM
sam@ata

ORIGINAL: Guillermo Ibanez

Are those for flying a jet with all ordinance hanged on the wings? I mean, will they support the high speed fly stresses? What about the weight?

1/8 and 1/6 scale for modern jet fighters
The mounting attachment to withstand flying speeds would be left to the builder. Whether they would be flown would depend on the model and additional power required to over come the added drag. For turbines, that would not be a problem. For EDF's, good judgement by the builder on what could be flown and not flown.
Weight....thats were i believe the use of the poly foam would be beneficial. The expanding poly foam comes in different densities so weight could be controlled by density desired.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:57 PM
stang

The word is ordnance. An ordinance is what the local mayor passes to shut down your flying site. Ordnance is what you drop on his head for doing that.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:40 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: stang

The word is ordnance. An ordinance is what the local mayor passes to shut down your flying site. Ordnance is what you drop on his head for doing that.
Excellent example
Old 10-08-2010, 01:21 PM
sam@ata

great example. We have an "enemy neighbor" near the field i fly that has stolen, demolished and just being an out right jack /;*, that i would love to demonstrate the actual use of
ORDNANCE too!!!
Granted the ones i want to make wont explode but thats another story
Old 10-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Guillermo Ibanez

Oh.... my typing mistake.... Sorry (English is my second language)

Ordnance.......Ordnance...... Ordnance.......

Hope I don´t forget it anymore.........

My ordinance to all of you guys is:

Go flying jets all weekend..........(although I am not a loca mayor) LOL

Did I learn the lesson?

Old 10-11-2010, 12:59 AM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

I can tell you from experience that it is a tough market. you really need to sell planes also to make a good run at these accessories I have found. Return on your investment probably won't happen... that is why available ordnance kits aren't dirt cheap. Take Quanun R/C for example... their ready-to-use bombs are marketed to a broader base in the hobby and even come with ready-made pylons (not for jets I know), but I bet the bombs they sell dry up soon. [&o] I do it for the love of the hobby, but even then sometimes it is not enough. Your flying time will most definitely evaporate! [:@] Sorry if it sounds like I'm a downer.

If you really love what you're going to do (as I do), by all means I say jump in it! Just don't look for much profit!

Good luck and God bless