Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Tornado sport jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

Hi Baldeagle,

If you use a fixed pick-up instead of the sock like the BVM UAT and try to fly inverted for few minutes, wouldn't you run the UAT dry and have a flameout, since the UAT is mounted in a 45ΒΊ angle? The UAT draws fuel right up to the aluminum fitting in the top of the bottle. Just thought I would ask.....

Larry
Old 01-14-2011, 10:10 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Instructor

I don't use a UAT of any type, just a fabric and ceramic clunk in the main tank and have never had a flame out due to air entering the system, I think this whole air intolerance is overblown by most on here, run a turbine on the ground and introduce air into your fuel feed and watch what happens, I did and was very surprised how tolerant the newer turbines are.

Oh yes I have never flown inverted for a few minutes either, max I should think is about 30secs on an inverted circuit, and in any case how would a sock be any different it has a solid pick up inside the sock.

Mike
Old 01-14-2011, 10:29 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you use a fixed pick-up instead of the sock like the BVM UAT and try to fly inverted for few minutes, wouldn't you run the UAT dry and have a flameout,
No, as long as the clunk in your main tank is submerged it will continue to keep the UAT full.

Joe
Old 01-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Heat1960

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey arockwell, your install looks good but it appears from your photo and description that from the UAT you have 6mm line going to a 6mm - 4mm festo reducer. There has been concerns that you should not use festo fittings on the suction side as this may develop an air leak. What i did on my Jetcat fuel pump was to put a piece of the 4mm tubing over the inlet nipple of the pump, cut it off at the end of the inlet fitting then slide the 6mm tubing over top of that and secure it well with wire. I believe this is what the Jetcat manual calls for. Not sure about the Kingtech manual but I assume the inlet fitting is the same on their fuel pump.

Just my 2 cents, don't want you to have air leak on the suction side and have a flame out.

Cal.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Baldeagle,

The BVM UAT that I have doesn't have a solid pick-up inside the sock. I take it apart once a year to make sure there is nothing inside the sock. There is a groove machined on the outside of the aluminum fitting and that is where the safety wire is used to hold the sock to the aluminum fitting. If the UAT is mounted 45ΒΊ, then the pickup/sock is always surmerged in fuel, if I'm flying inverted. I had a friend that bought a used turbine trainer and on the second attemp at flying it, had a six foot plume of white smoke shoot out the tail end of the turbine. The turbine shut down and I had to make an emergency landing. When we went to inspect the fuel system, we found a Y fuel hook up. After taking the Y out of the system and hook it up in series, have never had another flameout. As you can see, I think one of the pick-up lines in the dual tank, that fed the main tank, came out of the fuel, (somehow) and caused the flameout by sucking air...

Larry
Old 01-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Instructor

Hi Xairflyer,

You say that you are not a big fan of a UAT, but in this photo you just posted of your 2.oz catch tank, you have a BVM UAT installed in this setup. Is this before you went to not using the UAT? I like this Idea of this little catch tank. How much time do you get when using it as a taxi tank? Do you have more room to install a larger tank? That is what I have done. Here in the States we generally taxi out to the take off position before we remove the header tank.

Larry
I did actually say "I have one fitted in my Boomerang see picture below", must have worded it badly.

The reason I am not keen on them is the idea behind the UAT is to prevent bubbles getting in the fuel, but my BVM UAT always has air in the top corner of the tank.
In my other jets that use a centre pickup they never have any air bubbles. So which works the best ?

I would'nt buy another UAT especially not the BVM one at that price, centre pickup tank can be made from a standard 6oz tank and a kero bung. If you want to get fancy you can add a pleated filter or my choice is to solder on a sintered bronze clunk.

I am not using the vent tank as shown as a taxi tank, just as a over fill catcher etc, but it could be increased to 4 or 6 ozs if it was needed for that. Normally the reason external taxi tanks are added is there are no room for bigger tanks in the fuselage.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:26 PM
frank2

hows the list going henry

thanks frank m
Old 01-14-2011, 02:38 PM
rpat

OK guys this is my first jet, and I am planning on using the futaba s-bus on this. Has any one used the S-bus yet ? any input would be helpful. Also guys don't think for one second that something that you think as old hat for some of these guys is brand new to some of us rookie jet builders.
To all you guys that have contributed pics of your set up thanks for contributing I am after all the help you guys can muster for me. Keep the ideas coming.
Rich
Old 01-14-2011, 05:11 PM
jetflyr

ORIGINAL: arockwell

It's is a rubber stopper that goes inside the hole in the tank. The stopper has a screw through it to a treaded plate inside the tank. When tightened it compress the rubber and locks it self in there.
Okay....I was fixating on the lack of a flange/neck and didn't pay attention to the thickness of the front of the tank......duh!
Thanks
Greg
Old 01-14-2011, 07:49 PM
john4648
My Feedback: (24)

Hello Rich,
Have used the S-Bus in several jets. See attached pic of a CompArf Flash. One cable out of receiver thats it. Just aft of the main board and just above the three airline disconnects is the single lead going to the aileron and flap servos in the wing. Works BUT I am not sure long term of any benefit that is not out weighed by added risks. Like the good news is there is only one lead going to the receiver, thats also the bad news no redundant leads. Can plug batteries in anywhere in the chain but then how do you service them? Then there is the use of multiple leaded octopuses to get the signal down line. Y harnesses are loathed by most users. I make mine own so feel some reassured that they are made up properly. Have for the most part used the decoder setup rather than the S-Bus servos. Very irritating that Robbe Europe has a decoder capable of driving four servos when we in the states can only get decoders capable of driving three servos. That four device decoder would be nice for wings. Jury is still out. After we get a couple hundred flights on one install we can talk again....
John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78483.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1547837  
Old 01-14-2011, 10:40 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

my LHS got 2 of them in, they look like winners. Think I will have one this summer as my first turbine
Old 01-14-2011, 10:55 PM
arockwell

You talking about Quan at Hobby Hangar? If so I talked him in to it. ( I am not a good influence!!!) LOL.
I got one also and have stated the build. I am using a King Tech K80e. I live in Martinsburg WV, but if you need any help or info I am down at the store once a week.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:38 AM
arockwell

ok back to the build.
Before you can fit the turbine to the mount you have to grind out the rear of thefuselageto fit the starter motor and lines,wires ect. I started to mount the K80e. I had to move the stock bracketsforward, past the glow plug. Then I removed the EGT sensor.
i ground the gold bracket where the glow plug hadinterference, with a sanding drum on a dremel. I thenrelievedthe wood blocka littleto make sure that it does not rub the turbine. I then used vice grips to clamp the turbine to the mount, to drill the mounting holes. I used 10-32 screws and nylon lock nuts. The EGT sensor had a black clamp that held it in place, I had to grind on the side of the plastic clamp to get it to bolt back. Here are some pics of it fitted on the airframe.

Name:	Sq45644.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1547916   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42731.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1547917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz66973.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1547918  
Old 01-15-2011, 07:31 AM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

We have been made aware of a problem with the wheel well location on both mains and nose gear on a portion of the first batch of Tornado's. The reason this occurred was because of the change we made half way through the production process from straight struts to the trailing links. It caused a mix up in wheel well location on a portion of the kits. I have contacted my factory and made sure that they check that this problem was corrected and this does not appear on future production kits. I have made an addendum to the manual that shows the fix that we used to correct this issue. Please check our website later today for the update. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and if we can help in anyway please contact us at [email protected]

http://www.modellbauusa.com/Downloads.html
Old 01-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

I wanted to clear something up the Addendum is not part of the manual it is a separate PDF that will loaded on the website by the end of the day. Thanks
Old 01-15-2011, 11:02 AM
frank2

Thanks Henry apparently the bar code was not readable it's on way the fix for the wheel well openings
Is that for your struts
Thanks frank M

Old 01-15-2011, 11:33 AM
rpat

John4648,
Yea I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of this s-bus set up. I guess that one of the benefits is that you don't have a lot of clutter (wires) all going into one spot especially with all of the other clutter involved with the turbine.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:40 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: arockwell

ok back to the build.
Before you can fit the turbine to the mount you have to grind out the rear of the fuselage to fit the starter motor and lines,wires ect. I started to mount the K80e. I had to move the stock brackets forward, past the glow plug. Then I removed the EGT sensor.
i ground the gold bracket where the glow plug had interference, with a sanding drum on a dremel. I then relieved the wood block a little to make sure that it does not rub the turbine. I then used vice grips to clamp the turbine to the mount, to drill the mounting holes. I used 10-32 screws and nylon lock nuts. The EGT sensor had a black clamp that held it in place, I had to grind on the side of the plastic clamp to get it to bolt back. Here are some pics of it fitted on the airframe.
It's a shame to have to do all that work to mount the turbine. You'd be a lot better off with a mount that allows the engine to sit further rearward. You'll need the extra tail weight anyway. Here's how I did my Falcon 120.

Joe

Name:	Bz77606.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1548159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48685.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1548160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93678.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1548161  
Old 01-15-2011, 11:58 AM
arockwell

It's not that much work to mount the KingTech. The plane was designed for the P60 size and willaccommodatethe king tech easy. All you need is a dremel, and a drill to make the holes to bolt it.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:32 PM
hippo-1216

arockwell how much did you have to spread the mount to get the kingtech to fit I am also going to use a k80 so any help in mounting would be great thanks
Old 01-15-2011, 03:23 PM
jetrichie

From what I have been hearing Henry you are the talk of the jetworld and rattling a few feathers, which is good to see as too many companys have been creaming modellers for too long.
Only I have too many sport jets at the moment plus a skymaster MB339 I would have one, but will keep an eye out on your next offerings, keep up the good work.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:50 AM
KC36330

Changed my mind on the tornado so if anyone is in the local (South Alabama) area and interested in a full package (jet/wheels/brakes/servos/batt/extensions/etc...) and a new P60-SE.............it'll be in the RCU market place shortly.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:38 AM
readyturn
My Feedback: (9)

Henry,

The retracts have been returned to you via USPS.

Rick
Old 01-17-2011, 01:01 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a shame KC your opinion on this inexpensive jet package would have been of benefit to everyone.

Mike
Old 01-17-2011, 01:22 PM
KC36330

Sorry Mike i had full intention of starting it today as my daughter is out of school (MLK Day) and it's raining then i ran into a few small things that unfortunately ticked me off about the kit.

the part of the manual that states "Required Parts For Final Assembly" is 11 items long, it requires about 10 more to be added that you're left guessing on till you get the kit and get started.....
be damned a fuel tank that doesn't come with a stopper.......i have no LHS so it's not like i can just run up the street and pick one up. the push rods come with threaded clevis that you're supposed to solder on, must be my eyes, the manual showed threaded rods.........and there is no included items for securing the canopy, just a suggestion in the manual but even then there are no parts to install as per the suggestion. that's as far as i made it before i decided to just box it back up as i went though this with a FEJ and won't again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.