Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 The new Tornado sport jet >

The new Tornado sport jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Old 02-09-2011, 07:22 PM

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

No problem guys if you need more pics with specific areas let me know.
Marcelo, the maiden was planed for this past Sunday but i had to re-arrange the fuse which put me back a whole day working on the plane, didn't even get out to the field Sunday trying to finish her up, so if the weather is good it would be on Sunday. ill try go get it on video.

Kenric
Old 02-09-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kenrico,
The try is a great idea, but how did the plane ballance with that tray installed the way that you did it?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: rpat

kenrico,
The try is a great idea, but how did the plane ballance with that tray installed the way that you did it?
the balance is perfect the way it is in the pics. I haven't glued the booms onto the elevator yet so that will add a lil weight to back. but I want to put a second receiver bat beside the other one. I'm thinking on flying it with just one receiver bat, but it freaks me out, I'm used to 2 bats on the gassers. what are you guys planing on as far as batts? my flying buddy flies his shock jet and Boomerang spring just on one bat for the receiver.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:21 PM

I think that this two battery thing is a leftover from the days of ni-cads and everybody thinks that you have to run two batteries. with the LIFE batteries today you should be able to get at least 4 flights out of a 2200mah battery. If you are not comfortable with that then fly 3 flights and then recharge. I am only going to fly one battery . Just because you are flying a turbine does not make any difference than if you were flying a 60 or 90 sized nitro or electric plane. I don't worry about flying one of these with one battery and I am not going to worry about flying this Tornado with one battery.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 PM

I got ya. the flight time between charge does not bother me, I can have my Ion Cube set up and charge after every flight or every 3 to 4 like you said, what I'm looking is redundancy if one pack fails. I have two TBM Li Ions in my 50 CC aerobatic for the last 3- 1/2 years and they are still going strong and haven't failed. BTW about a year i forgot to unplug the bats like i always do and forgot a switch on and one went to 0 volts yes ZERO volts and my Ion Cube would not even recognize it to start a charge so i gave a 5 minute boast with my cheap Hobbico field charger and plunged it back to the CUBE and it started charging and it took all 2600MAH of its capacity, and that is one the bats still going in my 50CC. Another option is to get Duralite 5200Mah that is redundant.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:21 PM

Never had a problem with a 'total loss' system, I simply check battery condition after each flight and you will quickly notice if there is a sudden change .It is possible go to three flights before having to charge but I don't like to tempt providence so I charge every two flights thus leaving a very conservative margin for error.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kenrico

Don't forget to wire tie the Tygon onto the fuel nipples, Kero and oil make a very slippery combination and they will come off/Leak.

Mike
Old 02-10-2011, 04:54 AM

kenrico.
How did you mount your ECU? Did you velcro it or did you hard mount it?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:03 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Rich i suggest you velcro the ECU. As for the batteries if you purchased our servo package you will get a lot more than just 3-4 flights off the 2200 mah life pack. We have throughly tested it and all the servo consume about 105 mah per flight so you do the math. That is a rock hard number we checked it on over 250 flights.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:10 AM

Hey Mike thanks for the look out, I still have to go over the entire plane for small details like that.
Rich, the ECU is mouted with Industrial strength Velcro.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:13 AM

Hi Henry, as I suggested I am always very conservative with my estimations and you are correct the battery life is far in excess of my claims, but, I had a servo malfunction once and and it was amazing how much was drained in a short time.

A question please, which type of Springairs (101/102's etc) are installed in the Tornado ? you made a good choice as I swear by them. cheers.<br type="_moz" />
Old 02-10-2011, 05:15 AM

Kenrico

If you havn't done this before, wrap the wire around the pipe first so you have a completer wrap around the Tygon before you twist it together above the wrap, sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs, but better to be safe than sorry.

Mike
Old 02-10-2011, 05:28 AM

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Kenrico

If you havn't done this before, wrap the wire around the pipe first so you have a completer wrap around the Tygon before you twist it together above the wrap, sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs, but better to be safe than sorry.

Mike
You mean the safety wire right?
No problem about the teaching I'm open to all opinions.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:37 AM

I do mean the tying wire, yes, do not be tempted to use plastic zip tie wraps they form an incomplete wrap where the tag end passes through the zip end.

To make it clear, start the wrap on top of the Tygon, pass both ends under the Tygon and bring back to the top, twist the two ends together until the wire necks into the Tygon, also make sure you have a barb of some kind on the copper tube's, I use a piece of wire from a paper clip soldered to the copper pipe to form a bulge on the copper pipe to stop the wire and Tygon slipping off.

Mike
Old 02-10-2011, 06:50 AM

Actually the retracts are neither of the ones you mentioned. The spring air gear is custom made by bill for our kits. The have stronger springs for spring down at Jet speeds and also a different design of trunnion and strut retention.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:49 AM
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Kenrico

Don't forget to wire tie the Tygon onto the fuel nipples, Kero and oil make a very slippery combination and they will come off/Leak.

Mike
I had the same observation. Also if you didn't safety wire the clunk and connections inside the fuel tank you need to do that now.

Joe
Old 02-10-2011, 08:15 AM

Good point Joe, I forgot to mention that one.

Mike
Old 02-10-2011, 10:16 AM
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Also whenever I have Tygon going over brass tubing I always run some sandpaper around the circumference of the tubing to make it harder for it to slip off. Then I make sure the tubing is cleaned off, insert the Tygon, wrap a piece of safety wire around it twice and tighten it down.

Joe
Old 02-10-2011, 10:23 AM

Thanks Henry and kenrico. Yea these new life and lipo batteries have taken a lot of the worry out of flying. With the old nicads you just never knew just when they were going to give out, and the older they got the shakier they became.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:30 AM

HEY GUYS ....,just a suggestion, but Dubro makes a nifty set of fuel line clamps that I use on my helis. I just don't know if they are strong enough to hold the stiffer tygon onto the nipple.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:01 PM

I have found they don't work too well especially on the suction side of the pump, but what they do make that is usefull is a barb that can be soldered onto copper pipes.

Mike
Old 02-10-2011, 05:10 PM
My Feedback: (49)

What do you do if you need a replacement main strut?

Old 02-10-2011, 05:42 PM

You call me and I take care of your problem
Old 02-10-2011, 08:03 PM

For those of you who have put the Tornado together would you be so kind as to list the extra things you had to buy to get it in the air? From the pictures it looks like it doesn't come with enough air line to do both the landing gear and the brakes? What size air lines come with the kit? 1/16th?
Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 PM
My Feedback: (49)

I did contact you and spring air. You both told me i had to purchase the whole gear kit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.