Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Tornado sport jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Old 04-09-2011, 02:46 PM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

Hooray! Bring on some more bad wx! First the "Tornado" and now a "Hurricane"!
Thanks Henry...
Z
Old 04-09-2011, 03:59 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the anticipated release date of the Mini-T? Is there any more info on this model?
Old 04-10-2011, 03:39 AM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

The mini-T should be out near September. We are still working out a few bugs on the airplane so it is not ready. We are still debating if we will make it fully composite. I will give more info soon
Old 04-11-2011, 12:17 PM
jzuniga

This may seem like a silly question as it pertains to the Tornado "build", but can someone tell me where all the servo extensions are supposed to go to?
I purchased the servo set with my Tornado, and it came with all the servo extensions, but before I put the wrong length extension in the wrong spot I was wondering
if guys that have their Tornado's airborne could help me on this? There's lot's of them, ie, 6", 8", 12" 18" and like three y's? I figure the y's go to the ailerons, rudders,
and elevators, but what length extensions go where? I know there are 5 18" extensions. I've already used two of those for the aileron servos, but now I'm thinking I messed up and
should be used for the elevators or rudders (boom servos)? Help!
... and thanks
Z
BTW, nothing was mentioned on this in the manual?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Ramz

Does anybody have any more video of the Tornado in action?
Old 04-13-2011, 08:36 PM
C185Pilot
My Feedback: (25)

Sid: What is the capacity of your Tornado tanks? Are you selling them?

Mike
Old 04-14-2011, 03:11 AM
Modellbau USA

Yes we do sell the tanks, you can purchase the 80oz fuel tanks and any another part for the Tornado directly from us.
In regard to the extensions I thought they were self explanatory because they were made exactly to length. Jaime please call Alberto at 954-445-2197 and he can help you out with any questions you have. I am currently down in South America and will be back in a few
Old 04-14-2011, 07:35 AM
jzuniga

Willco... thanks Henry...

Z
Old 04-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Rod_Hart
My Feedback: (4)

Got to see Greg Moore's Tornado Saturday. Flew great with Wren Mark IV. I need to finish mine.

Enjoy

Video Coming soon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83633.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1595357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28813.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	1595358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38537.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1595359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12186.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	1595360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk69510.jpg
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	1595361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc48799.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1595362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik90730.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1595363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hg21773.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1595364  

Old 04-17-2011, 07:14 PM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

Boy mine has been done for a month,nothing but crappy weather here.I have a week off coming up I gotta get it up[X(]
Old 04-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Ramz

Those are some great photos Rod! Thanks.

Mine is completed as well...just waiting for some nice weather. It will be my first turbine flight ever so I am pretty pumped.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:02 PM
rcand

I have seen this one fly many times and it is a great flyer, better than the Tango.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Modellbau USA

Below are the 3 schemes that are now currently offered for the TORNADO. The airplanes will be here the in early July, we will start pre-sales for the kits again in May.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77449.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1595862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65039.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1595863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87185.jpg
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1595864  
Old 04-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Rod_Hart
My Feedback: (4)

Video from this weekend.

Greg Moore's Tornado

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQd5RwEqH3I[/youtube]

Enjoy

Rod
Old 04-18-2011, 09:11 PM
jzuniga

Thanks for the video Rod... getting stoked to fly mine... hopefully real soon.
Z
Old 04-19-2011, 03:48 AM
Newskin78

I just got to fly mine and it is amazing. I had a Falcon and it was no were near as stable as this thing is. A+++ for a great job, I cant wait till the F86D come out I want one.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Ramz

Very nice work on the video. It looks like it flew really well.

I just maidened mine. Both main gear blocks fell out upon landing and tore the bottom of the wing up pretty good. The landing was a bit rougher than what was in the above video. For the 4 minutes it was in the air it seemed to fly ok but the landing gear mounts are garbage. Their was little to no glue holding them in (same with the nose gear but i was able to pull them out and re-glue them). The front gear blocks were the only ones that held...surprise surprise.

Both of the main wheels seized up aswell during my first taxi tests. I had to remove both of my main wheels numerous times and file away some of the hub so they would spin freely. The machining tolerances were quite a bit off.

It was a bad day. I am not 100% happy with the Tornado at this point.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:57 PM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ramz

Yeh, it fly's great, far more stable than the Falcon I had.
I hadn't flown (weather has sucked) since February, so my touch and goes were not the best, but she really slows down well for a full stop.
My gear blocks weren't great either, but a bit of Hysol did the trick.
Hang in there!
Greg
Old 04-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Ramz

ORIGINAL: jetflyr

ORIGINAL: Ramz

Yeh, it fly's great, far more stable than the Falcon I had.
I hadn't flown (weather has sucked) since February, so my touch and goes were not the best, but she really slows down well for a full stop.
My gear blocks weren't great either, but a bit of Hysol did the trick.
Hang in there!
Greg
It is frustrating having things like this happen because all that was needed was a bit of glue and it would have been preventable. I will go at it and get it all fixed and re-inforced but I shouldn't have to. Looking forward to seeing how it does in the air.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

I received an ARF from a well known company last year that took a whole cartridge of Hysol to glue things that should have been glued at the factory.

Bob
Old 04-20-2011, 01:30 PM
david robinson

Ramz I agree with you but there kits have been very good. I purchased 3 of there kits 2 Tornado's and 1 MB339 and they all were great. I have had a few very hard landing on my Tornado while learning jets and it took a lot for those gear to break out. You might have just gotten one that unfortunately did not get glued correctly that might happen when mass producing large number of planes like this one.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Ramz

ORIGINAL: david robinson

Ramz I agree with you but there kits have been very good. I purchased 3 of there kits 2 Tornado's and 1 MB339 and they all were great. I have had a few very hard landing on my Tornado while learning jets and it took a lot for those gear to break out. You might have just gotten one that unfortunately did not get glued correctly that might happen when mass producing large number of planes like this one.
It is pretty evident when you look at the old landing gear blocks. Their is so little glue on the blocks that it is embarrassing. I made some new blocks out out of basswood and i actually glued these ones with 30 minute along with other reinforcements. Next time it comes out it will take half the wing with it...not sure if that is a good thing or not. LOL. It is halfway repaired....shooting for a re-maiden this weekend.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:21 PM
chris1971

I had the same problem with my Boomerang Sprint! I must have broke the gear out at least 5 times before I finally got them glued in well enough to stay. Of course it didn't help when I froze on the sticks and forgot to pull up on my first take-off! Then I forgot that I had brakes and ran it into the tall grass around the asphault runway. It was quite a stupid thing but I was nervous and went brain-dead! I knocked all three gear out and tore up the bottom of the wing. I eventually got enough glue and bracing around the blocks to hold them in well. There are always things that aren't built well enough on these arf's. I think the quality department in China isn't what it would be here in the states and if it was we couldn't afford to buy these things! Don't let a little hickup ruin your fun though. All the guys I fly with have broken out gear so they just welcomed me to the club!

Chris
Old 04-21-2011, 03:14 AM
Ramz

ORIGINAL: chris1971

I had the same problem with my Boomerang Sprint! I must have broke the gear out at least 5 times before I finally got them glued in well enough to stay. Of course it didn't help when I froze on the sticks and forgot to pull up on my first take-off! Then I forgot that I had brakes and ran it into the tall grass around the asphault runway. It was quite a stupid thing but I was nervous and went brain-dead! I knocked all three gear out and tore up the bottom of the wing. I eventually got enough glue and bracing around the blocks to hold them in well. There are always things that aren't built well enough on these arf's. I think the quality department in China isn't what it would be here in the states and if it was we couldn't afford to buy these things! Don't let a little hickup ruin your fun though. All the guys I fly with have broken out gear so they just welcomed me to the club!

Chris
I haven't ripped out a gear in about 4 years. I have about 250 landings on my 40% and never ever an issue. The last time it happened was a dead stick landing on my old 35% Extra. It had a nasty tail wind and i didn't have enough altitude to turn around and try a proper "into the wind" landing so I was forced to do a tail wind landing...it hit the deck going 3 times as fast as it should have and the gear just couldn't take it. That had about 350 flights with no gear issues when that happened.

I am still kind of bitter because I have been waiting for that moment since July 17th, 1996 which was when I first saw a turbine powered F86 at a FF. It was my first turbine flight ever and the first flight on the Tornado...it would have been nice to land it in one piece but it ended up in failure. Kind of took away from the moment but it will fly again and it will be a success. The only damage to the airframe was where the gear pulled out so it's not like it was slammed into the ground.

It is impossible to build them so that the gear will never pull out but a few basic, very inexpensive steps in the construction process would have helped. I also noticed that the landing gear blocks were made out of balsa....BALSA!! ARGH! What were they thinking? At the very least they could use something harder than balsa sticks. It would also be nice to see some 1/8 ply doublers on the 3 ribs that the gear blocks attach to. I doubled up mine while I had it apart.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:43 AM
jzuniga

On your comments, I strengthened mine with Hysol... but on mine they appeared to be some sort of hardwood, like basswood? Not balsa?

Z

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.