Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Tornado sport jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Old 04-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

I hope so I am counting on having it here by Early Sept
Old 04-22-2011, 06:19 PM
frank2

can you give me an idea what it wood look like

and size
thanks frank m
Old 04-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Modellbau USA

The airplane will look Bandit,Flash type airframe and it will be made for P60,K80 size turbine
Old 04-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Ramz

ORIGINAL: Modellbau USA

I apologize for the minor issues that some of you have been having with some of the Tornado's. Everybody who has had any issues I will give a discount if you purchase another airplane from us. I always make things right most of you who have done business with me know that
RAMZ I hope you understand that this is a new airplane for us and we are working all the bugs out of the manufacturing process. As a matter of fact we have addressed all the issues you mentioned. The new kits will be made with all the changes you want done.
First of all, how about you 2 cut the crap. Stop acting like children and keep it civil. If you want to attack each other, do it via PM and don't ruin this thread. I have been following this thread and I have expressed my opinions and views on the Tornado so that everybody else can hopefully learn from my experiences. It is a great way for Henry to see how the kits are doing in the real world and get real feedback from non biased modelers. Without this forum it would make it much harder to exchange info and progress. The Tornado is a great basic design and with the above mentioned improvements, it will be a force to be reckoned with in the turbine trainer market. I would have no trouble at all recommending the Tornado to a prospective turbine pilot. If I can be of help to Henry and future Tornado pilots, all the better.

Now that is what I am talking about! That's what we modelers really want...for the manufacturer to listen to us and to make the necessary changes to their product. We realize that nothing is perfect...especially with a first run of kits but if the manufacturer takes our feedback and makes the necessary changes, they are way ahead of the game and they will do well. If the new wings have the necessary changes, I would even consider buying a new set of wings if/when my gear rips out again. This also makes it easier to recommend a Tornado as a trainer.

With that being said, I managed to get 3 successful flights on my Tornado this evening and they were all but flawless. What a thrill!! The P70 was hauling the mail and the weather was perfect. There were probably 20 spectators and pilots at the field and boy did it ever get their attention! None of them had ever seen a turbine so it was a real treat. I couldn't get over how easy it was to fly. I did some pretty hard pulls and it didn't want to snap out. The nose wants to pull a bit to the right when the power is off but I would suspect that is due to my less than stellar setup...big slow loops require left rudder on the back half to maintain a clean line. As for the P70, it is a great match. It actually wasn't as fast as I thought it would be straight and level but it has to be up around 150mph or more. 18 lbs is more than enough power for a the Tornado and any aerobatic maneuver you would expect a jet to perform. Takeoffs can be very short and verticals are unlimited with authority..even full of fuel. I wouldn't want it with any less power though...it's just too much fun! It would be nice to see a 14lb turbine and a 18 lb turbine side by side to see how the Tornado handles them. I set my timer for 5 mins and that gave me about 1/3 tank left to make as many failed landing approaches as I wanted. LOL.

My favorite part of the Tornado's flight envelope is how it lands. The major selling point for me was how well it slowed down for landing and still maintained control and lift. I setup my flaps as per Henry's instructions and wow were they ever effective. The airplane didn't want to pitch up when the flaps were deployed which is always nice. The flaps are like an airbrake and flaps all rolled into one. I did a few circuits with the gear down and full flaps and it needed about 1/4 throttle to keep any amount of airspeed. Makes for a really nice landing approach especially for those of us who fly off of smaller strips and who aern't really used to the spool up time.

My front gear collapsed for some reason (the retract folded just before the landing rollout stopped...no damage but strange none the less..it worked fine and stayed locked down for the next 2 landings)

Old 04-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. (Wow!)

I have flown turbines for 12 years now and have been here (R/C U) from the beginning. I was on the e-mail Jets List prior to that. Since the Columbia accident, I have not had a lot of flying time, but I used to fly A LOT!!! I have never met George or Henry before.

Having said that, I do own a Falcon 120 that I bought 2 years or so ago when it looked like I might get some time to start flying again. Did not happen.

From what I have seen, Henry is a stand-up guy that is offering an unmatched value for an entry level jet. That is to be commended BIG time! I think George is just a dude that flew off the handle a bit too fast. You guys need to kiss and make up. This sport/hobby REALLY needs more Henry's.... REALLY!!! And no doubt George is a good guy too.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Woketman

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, those Friday night beers do make you mellow, eh?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Ramz

ORIGINAL: Woketman

Man, those Friday night beers do make you mellow, eh?
Can't afford beer...spent all my money on Kero.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:08 AM
funflyerf4

Another week of rain I just wana fly mine!
Old 04-23-2011, 05:09 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Woketman
Henry I have and will continue to recommend the Tornado to people at our field. Like I said I didn’t say the Tornado was bad. Looks like I was wrong in assuming that you didn’t make the Tornado yourself. I am glad you are fixing the issues with the plane. No one at our field has one yet but there is one in Colorado Springs and it is doing well.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:51 AM
rpat

OK have any of you noticed that the trailing link gear does not go all the way into the wing and fuse, or am I doing something wrong here. It would seem that I am going to have to lower the blocks to get the gear to retract all the way up into it's recesses.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:56 AM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ramz

I wouldn't want it with any less power though...it's just too much fun! It would be nice to see a 14lb turbine and a 18 lb turbine side by side to see how the Tornado handles them. I set my timer for 5 mins and that gave me about 1/3 tank left to make as many failed landing approaches as I wanted. LOL.
As George said in another post: "There is one in Colorado Springs doing well", yup, it is! Rod Hart posted photos 2 pages back and a video one page back (post # 1102) of the first flight at our 7000' elevation field. A little shaky since I hadn't flown in 10 or 11 weeks...... (and we won't be flying again this weekend...[&o] ) with a Wren 54 which at our altitude puts out about 10.5 pounds of thrust, it has sufficient vertical to make you ask: "Where the hell is it?"
IMHO, this is the perfect sized engine, allowing 10 minute flights with the entire envelope used, including touch and goes.

I had a Falcon 120, and the difference in flight characteristics (in-spite of the overwhelming similarities) is night and day. Henry says they tweaked the airfoil, and I have no reason not to believe him!
For a relaxing Sunday flier, it is a package that is hard to resist, and the price point is phenomenal. For the nay-sayers, look at the cost of some of the foamy edfs!
I am impressed with the support Henry has shown here on the web, as well as on the phone, and since the "Mk I" version sold 200 kits in 3 weeks, it doesn't surprise me that there are a few issues. I'm impressed with how few issues there seem to have been, and look forward to some of the upcoming designs!

Greg
Old 04-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Ramz

I got an invite from a flying buddy last evening to come down to his field today and burn some fuel. The boys wanted to see the Tornado as many of them have never seen a turbine engine let alone seen one fly. I only got one successful flight in as there was a nasty crosswind that put the brakes on most of the flying but the plane/turbine generated alot of interest. Pretty much everybody had a few questions to ask..most of them focused around the cost. I think what surprised them the most was the relatively low cost of the airframe and the width of the flight envelope. The landing was with a stiff headwind so it slowed down to a crawl with a roll out of about 30 ft max. I will bet my left pinky that there will be at least one more Tornado pilot in my area by next spring.

Attached is a picture after today's flight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33040.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	1598085  
Old 04-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Ramz

ORIGINAL: rpat

OK have any of you noticed that the trailing link gear does not go all the way into the wing and fuse, or am I doing something wrong here. It would seem that I am going to have to lower the blocks to get the gear to retract all the way up into it's recesses.
Are you referring to where the steering arm on the strut bumps into the landing gear mounting block when the gear is retracted? I would assume you are. What I and many others have done is dremel out a small slot in the landing gear block to allow clearance for the steering arm to slide up into the block. Just keep dremeling until the gear retracts fully. Kind of a pain I know but it is what it is. I attached my pull-pull steering wires by tapping the existing hole in the steering arm with a 4-40 tap. Then I used a short bolt with washers and a locknut to attach the steering cables to the steering arm. This way the strut can go up and down without having the cables interfere.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:44 AM
rpat

Ramz,
As far as the steering arm goes I already did that with my dremmel. I am referring to the retract going all the way into the gear bay. My mains are not going all the way into the gear bay, and the same thing with the nose wheel. It looks to me that the landing gear blocks are too high for the gear to go all the way into the bays. The mains look like that are going to destroy the air flow over the bottom of the wing. Are yours all the way into the bays?
Old 04-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Ramz

ORIGINAL: rpat

Ramz,
As far as the steering arm goes I already did that with my dremmel. I am referring to the retract going all the way into the gear bay. My mains are not going all the way into the gear bay, and the same thing with the nose wheel. It looks to me that the landing gear blocks are too high for the gear to go all the way into the bays. The mains look like that are going to destroy the air flow over the bottom of the wing. Are yours all the way into the bays?
None of mine are all the way into the bays. The nose wheel hangs down a bit and the mains hang out about 1/8 of an inch at most. I don't think it is an issue really. It doesn't give my Tornado any bad tendencies.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:34 PM
rpat

RAMZ,
That's what i wanted to hear from you. As long as it does not interfere with the flight characteristics of it then I don't have anything to be concerned about. Thanks for the answer. My build is going pretty slow. I retired from my life time job that I had in a steel mill and took on a part time job that is turning into a full time job. I guess that I am a glutton for punishment.[>:]
Old 04-25-2011, 09:01 PM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

I'm installing the landing gear in my Tornado... can someone tell me what the little metal box with a wire sticking out of it is for? It's small, about 1/2" square, with an open side and a wire about 1" long, oh and it has a 1/4" hole in the little box on one side? It came with all the stuff for my spring air landing gear.
Thanks
Z
Old 04-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Drinker with a flying problem.

I'm installing the landing gear in my Tornado... can someone tell me what the little metal box with a wire sticking out of it is for? It's small, about 1/2" square, with an open side and a wire about 1" long, oh and it has a 1/4" hole in the little box on one side? It came with all the stuff for my spring air landing gear.
Thanks
Z
I feel your pain man.
I had no idea what this part was for either but after much head scratching I figured that it is to center the nose gear,
Fiddle about and youll see that the wire is pretty springy and it locates with the small hole on the steering plate.
Best of luck.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:48 AM
jzuniga

Ok, thanks drinker... I had to blow up the picture in the plans (of the nose gear) with adobe to get an idea, but thanks again
Old 04-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Ramz

Managed to get 3 more flights on my Tornado yesterday evening. The more I fly it the more I like it. The link below was flight #4 for my Tornado. The nose gear collapsed on landing but it's because my steering wires need adjusting. No biggie. It really settles in well for landings and the P70 has lots of power for a trainer. It is one strong airframe aswell as the higher speeds and G forces didn't seem to bother it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8AZwm_R9pg
Old 04-26-2011, 06:59 PM
jzuniga

Nice flying Ramz...
looks like the Tornado grooves nicely... I'm getting stoked to get mine up in the air

Z
Old 04-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Modellbau USA

very nice video, it nice to see that your having fun with it. FYI you can still slow up even more with it, by the angle of your approach it seems that the CG can be sweeked just a little bit more. Also make sure that landing flaps are set as per my instructions and you will be even more surprised how it slows up. Also next time you fly use take-off flaps and hold up elevator just a bit less than half stick and apply take-off thrust, you will see what a short field take-off is. Have fun!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Ramz

ORIGINAL: jzuniga

Nice flying Ramz...
looks like the Tornado grooves nicely... I'm getting stoked to get mine up in the air

Z
It grooves very nicely. I have done very little tuning to the airframe and I am very happy with it. You will aswell. It is just as happy at 40 mph as it is at 140 mph. Follow Henry's recommended setup and you will have no worries.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Ramz

ORIGINAL: Modellbau USA

very nice video, it nice to see that your having fun with it. FYI you can still slow up even more with it, by the angle of your approach it seems that the CG can be sweeked just a little bit more. Also make sure that landing flaps are set as per my instructions and you will be even more surprised how it slows up. Also next time you fly use take-off flaps and hold up elevator just a bit less than half stick and apply take-off thrust, you will see what a short field take-off is. Have fun!!!
It is ridiculous how slow this thing will go without wanting to drop out of the sky. It makes alot of people nervous watching it land because they think it's going to stall but no....it just keeps on flying. I agree the CG could use some adjustment as it is a hair nose heavy. The flaps are so effective that I actually landed it with a power on right up until the mains touched.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Modellbau USA

Hey guys for anybody that has been sending me there info for the pre-order list please include which airplane you are ordering either the TORNADO or the F86D Sabre Dog. you can send you full name, address and phone number to

[email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.