Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Tornado sport jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

Just some info I have contacted all the people on our list for the Tornado and the F86D today. If I have not contacted you please call me so I can get your order processed. The airplanes from my factory are scheduled to arrive on the 28th of June and I should start shipping the first or second week of August.

We are expecting to attend the UK for the Southern Model Air show in September, back to Brazil in October and Quito Ecuador in November.

Since the Tornado was such a big hit we are currently working on the TORNADO XL. It is 105 inches long and has 88 inch wing span. It has the exact flying characteristics as the Tornado and is 40% bigger. The airplane is made for King Tech K140 - K170 or P160 and will be made for our Red Jet series retracts and trailing link struts. I expect to have the factory demo here in about a month as soon as I have pictures I will post them.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:42 AM
jemalves

Great news.
We have not flight the Tornado yet, but we are already dreaming about flying the Hurricane.
Congratulations Henry. See you in October
Old 07-21-2011, 06:18 AM
david robinson

Tornado XL thats sweeeeet. Put me down on the list. I have the Tornado and if it flies anything like that own I cant wait to get the Big Brother. Very nice work
Old 07-21-2011, 07:38 AM
jetster81

Henry, will you be going to Jetpower in September also when you are this side of the river?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Geoff White

Southern model show in the UK is the same weekend as Jetpower.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:49 AM
jetster81

ORIGINAL: Geoff White

That's sorted that out then, Cheers Geoff

Old 07-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Geoff White

Jetpower is where it should be !
Old 07-22-2011, 03:42 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tornado XL!!! Love it!!! I don't own an SUV, & what other 105" long plane can easily breakdown and fit in a sedan?!
Old 07-22-2011, 10:06 PM
ModellbauUK

I agree and Jetpower will definitely be on the calender for next year. We primarily picked Southern Model Airshow in order to introduce the Tornado to the general modelling fraternity to demontrate how relatively cost effectively any modeller can get into flying jets at the club level.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Kenrico

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey Guys,
Well fist of all I hope all you guys with Tornados are having fun and flying a lot.
we had our yearly event Iguana Cup 2011 here in Honduras this past weekend. We had Pilots from Panama, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala and very happy and fortunate to have Alberto from ModellBau USA from Miami with us once again. Thanks Alberto!. there were 4 Tornados at the event 3 flying and 1 still in Box.
here are a few pics of the Tornados.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46811.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	1640098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81202.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	1640099  
Old 07-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Kenrico

Pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45842.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	1640100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26638.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	1640101  
Old 07-28-2011, 10:22 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question here: How "transportable" is this jet? It looks like the wings are not easily removable, best I can tell, from looking at the TBM website video...not like, say, a Boomerang Sprint or a BobCat.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:42 AM
jetflyr

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Question here: How ''transportable'' is this jet? It looks like the wings are not easily removable, best I can tell, from looking at the TBM website video...not like, say, a Boomerang Sprint or a BobCat.
Mine breaks down into the fuselage, two wings, two booms and the stab. Can't be anymore transportable than that!
Set-up and break-down takes about 5 minutes.

Greg
Old 07-28-2011, 11:55 AM
phantom_najd
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: jetflyr

Question here: How ''transportable'' is this jet? It looks like the wings are not easily removable, best I can tell, from looking at the TBM website video...not like, say, a Boomerang Sprint or a BobCat.
Mine breaks down into the fuselage, two wings, two booms and the stab. Can't be anymore transportable than that!
Set-up and break-down takes about 5 minutes.

Greg
Greg,

The stab must be glued to the booms per the instructions, didn't you do that?
Let us assume that the stab is glued to the booms, how easy is it to transport the booms/stab assembly? Wouldn't the assembly be a little fragile? I have just started building mine and I can't stop thinking about how would I transport the booms/stab assembly since the assembled plane doesn't fit my car.

Any advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Azzam
Old 07-28-2011, 02:21 PM
ausfester

Guys

I would have to disagree with you. I dont believe its breakdownable, its simply too difficult.
The rear wing bolts arent too bad but the front ones are a mission. Once you fill her up with all the gear easy hand access quickly dissapears.
Secondly the elevator, one side cant be glued, and dependng on your wheels you may have to remove the booms.

All in all i have to now buy a trailer to move this thing around and its a cost i wasnt really ready for.
Disconnecting 12 different connections to dismantle..... too risky i think

If someone has some good ideas im all ears because im mounting the elevator this weekend and buying s trailer next week.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:28 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

That's pretty much what I'm hearing through the proverbial grapevine. Looks like it is not easy to "field strip" this jet, ie like Boomers and Bobcats, for transportation.

ORIGINAL: ausfester
I dont believe its breakdownable, its simply too difficult.

All in all i have to now buy a trailer to move this thing around and its a cost i wasnt really ready for.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:34 PM
ausfester

Maybe like once every three months to clean out or something but as a weekly flyer no chance.
Its actually a little annoying because i brought this baby becuase people said its easily broken down but the truith is i would have been better to buy a l39 albatross as having booms and rear elevator like this are a pain in the ass.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:37 PM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

I have a Chrysler mini van with a custome made 2 level platform My old tornado fit in one piece on the top shelf.It was my everyday flyer since march with 87 flights on it I just sold it today.Oh what a sad day it is.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Kenrico

I disassemble mine every time right down to the fuse, once you do it 2 or three times you get used to it. It's very practical to transport once down to that size. On the front wing bolts what I did is I left that area for my bats which are held in with Velcro once I'm finish flying the bats are the first to come and I have total access to the wing bolts and when assembling they are the last to go in.like jetflyr said about five minutes and you are done. My booms are glued with hysol to the stab and it's very strong no worries there. And the wire connection part you can buy the 12in1 conector from dreamworksrc.com and you would only have one servo conector per wing and the two airlines, very simple in my opinion.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:14 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make up a brace to bolt to the booms once off the wings, put a bolt connection into the wing and put a socket head bolt in the wings with an access hole to allow an allen key to fit into a captive nut in the fus, halves the time to rig and de-rig.

Mike
Old 07-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Kenrico

There was a member who posted a while back in this thread how he modified the front wing bolts and actually put them in the wing and the blind nuts in the fuse, and just made a small hole on the leading edge of the wind to get a hex driver in. its the same position just turn it around( bolt in wind and blind nut in Fuse).
Old 07-28-2011, 03:38 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep I posted it some time back with photo's to show how, the mod was to a Falcon 120 but the principle is the same.

Mike
Old 07-28-2011, 06:34 PM
jetflyr

The stab must be glued to the booms per the instructions, didn't you do that?
Let us assume that the stab is glued to the booms, how easy is it to transport the booms/stab assembly? Wouldn't the assembly be a little fragile? I have just started building mine and I can't stop thinking about how would I transport the booms/stab assembly since the assembled plane doesn't fit my car.

Any advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Azzam
[/quote]

Azzam. I did not glue my stab on. My choice! [8D]

I reenforced the inner part of the fins, used washers to spread the load outside and carefully tighten things. I have a smaller "Bobcat-52" where the stab is not removable, and elected not to do that on my Tornado.
I f you do the recommended glue job, just make a thin ply rack to go in the boom....like the biplane guys do, and you get reinforcement and transportability of a slightly larger package than I have.

It is an easy airplane to assemble and disassemble (5 min each).....only done it about 100 times.
Greg
Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 PM
jetflyr

That's pretty much what I'm hearing through the proverbial grapevine. Looks like it is not easy to ''field strip'' this jet, ie like Boomers and Bobcats, for transportation.

ORIGINAL: ausfester
I dont believe its breakdownable, its simply too difficult.

Think like a modeler and use some imagination, read the Falcon 120 thread and this thread, and there are at least 3 different quick and easy ways to attach the wings. I posted my wheel-collar method, Bald Eagle (I think) did one and I remember a 3rd.
So, Ausfester, think as a modeler, not an arf-assembler (no that is not a slam, just reality based on your post). If I can transport it in the front seat of a Subaru....it does break down! Each wing goes into 2 Multiplex 6-pin connectors, each airline into Robart quick disconnects......30 seconds max to connect. Keep it simple, since I am stupid is my mantra.

Since I fly with several BobCat flyers....guess which one transports smaller, and breaks down at about the same time......so much for the grapevine!

Greg
Old 07-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Newskin78

+1

this thing breaks down very very easy in about 5 minutes is right. I have two one I keep down in Colombia and one here in the states. It fits assembled in my Ford explorer and breaks down to fit in my hatch back down South. In my opinion this airplane is awesome

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.