Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Tornado sport jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Old 07-22-2012, 01:24 PM
fireblade5437

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

Hi Ian

I will check the paint code, to be honest the red 2k was brought for the CARF Hawk which I have started to respray as it was none done correctly in the first place! The red just happen to be a good match for the Falcon but I resprayed the whole top red and did the canopy at the same time time using Ti 2k primer filler before the top coat.

The place I use is: paints4u.com cannot recommend them highly enough, I actually paid them a visit when I was last in Grimsby and found they were just down the road from one of my customers.

Telephone : 01472-488386 Lines Open : Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Address : Paints4u.com Limited
UNIT 12
Estate Road 8
Grimsby, Lincolnshire
DN31 2TG
Vat Reg No : 845 391 900 Email : [email protected]

I have left a scrap bit of my hawk fus that I cut out for air scoops so they could match the red if it did not match but it is spot on.

All the 2k I use from them require full air fed mask with filter etc, but well worth it the finish is the best you will get.

Alan
Old 07-22-2012, 01:26 PM
fireblade5437

You must have been very slow or a bit tail heavy?

I have had my Falcon flying slower then a Boomerang Intro and that's slow!

Alan
Old 07-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

If my turbine touching the v2 mounting plate on the bottom ok ??

Or do I need to air gap it???
Old 07-22-2012, 07:47 PM
fw190pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An air gap would be best. If barely touching simply grind the corner off won't hurt a thing.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:06 PM
rcpm5
My Feedback: (2)

does anyone know what caused the tornado to crash and burn at kentucky jets?

Old 07-23-2012, 02:44 PM
leopaul

'You must have been very slow or a bit tail heavy?"

Must be too slow, it the first time a take care to precision balance a model using a scale as per the manual...1.5lbs on the front wheel, plane level and uat full....

Old 07-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Heliman4213
My Feedback: (1)

There is a big CG problem with the plane as well as the other things with the plane from China. I put the nose at 1.5 pounds and it was not correct. I used a scale that I had purchased from a scale only company,it is top shelf it was several hundred dollars so I feel the scale is correct.The cg was off about one and three quarters inches. I had a professional fly my plane like Ali Machinchy and it was almost uncontrolable and barely made it back and had to be landed without flaps and had some damage as it flipped over way down the runway.I called Henrey and all he did was blame me and said I must have done somehting wrong! Not even for a second saying im sorry that happened or anything like that.This is why the problems with the jet do not get fixed because thats what they do instead of looking at the issue closely. In a million years they would not say they did something wrong,always blame the consumer. Well I have flown for 38 years and get almost a thousand flights a year in,i fly almost five days a week as well as flew compitition for 12 years. Im not new to this but am new to jets. I do know how to build and my technics as well as my designs have been in magazines in the past. You will I believe begin to see more jets go down as the CG on some of the planes may be an issue and as people complete them and fly them. I had this professional at my side when I talked to Henrey and the plane was built perfect he said as well as I made many improvements to it. We did move the CG as he calculated with some math where it really should be. We gassed it and he tested it again and he said it was a diffrent machine and landed it. I then flew it several times as it was my first jet flight by myself. Yes Tornado cheap chinese plane and needs some changes as im sure they wont be because they are only concerned about how many go out the door and not on the finel result,canteven get parts I had to bend and fix my gear. Not going to go back and forth here about this. My only advice ifone wants it isto be sure about the CG if you want your plane backin one piece. I did put an original list on here about problems as well as I have made drastic changes to the airplane for the better. My final thought on thismatter is once the airplane is set it was flying great. I have never flown,took off, or landed ajet and did it without issue. It flew on rails and came in for nice smooth landings. Ihope the several hundred people getting airplanes do have sucess but please watch the CGas crashing would be horrible,i know how I felt only when we had this issue without a full crash,good luck.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:20 PM
747junky

I can tell you that your absolutly wrong. I have had the Tornado V1 and the V3 and they exactly the same except for the composite booms and upgraded wings. The CG is 12 3/4 inches or 1.5 lb on the nose. For this plane to be I controllable like you say you had to really screw up the CG. As many here will chime in an confirm that this is one of the most forgiving planes out there. The Falcon design is a rock solid design and has been proven many times over. So sorry to say but your wrong
Old 07-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Newskin78

I don't want to sound like I'm picking in you but heliman you are incorrect. The CG of this plane is right on. 12 3/4 inches. I also have messed with the CG and you really have to mess up to make this plane fly bad. My falcon was a ***** cat and so is the V3 just much beefier. So buddy but you must have messed up somewhere
Old 07-23-2012, 05:47 PM
david robinson

I totally agree the CG in the manual is right on. I have flown my V2 for over 59 flights and it's still going strong. I purchased the upgrade kit and it is know a V3 which flight very nice as well. A but heavier but still flies like its on Rails. Great job Henry.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:35 PM
tjrhodes01

please correct me if i'm wrong , but i can see the 12 3/4 cg be unchangeable per design of plane, "granted little incruments foward or rear"as most plane depending on how doscile, or stableyou want it ,but wouldnt the 1 1/2 depend on auw of airframe
Old 07-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not trying to gang up on you heliman but I agree 12 and 3/4 inches is a good cg starting point., I moved mine back to 13 after about a dozen flights and that's where it has been for over 50 flights now, I even took mine back to 13.5" she got pretty pitch sensitive there but still very controllable and docile. You must have done something wrong way to many people have had success with this airplane for it to be a MFG error on the CG. I'll agree it's not a perfect out of the box plane but for the money and the performance it cannot be beat.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:48 PM
BaldEagel

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have to agree with everyone else on this, there are literately hundreds if not thousands of this airframe flying out there, from the Falcon 120 too the V3 Tornado and none of them have reported the problems you have had, my own Falcon 120 initially had the C of G at 13" from the main wing tube, this eventually migrated backwards and forwards and ended up about 13.5". I can only suggest that your improvements may have put this airframe overweight and the 1.5lbs on the nose wheel did not work out because of this, would be interested to know your AUW as mine is very heavy compared to others as I beefed it up a lot for a JetCat P80, now sits in the loft as I have other more interesting things to fly.

Mike
Old 07-24-2012, 04:10 AM
Xairflyer

Nosewheel weight will only be correct within a certain AUW, the 330mm or 13" will always be correct no matter what the AUW of the plane is, if you were building ten identical aeroplanes then it might work but the whole thing must be setup correctly to get the correct reading on the scale, is the weight with the aircraft in normal attitude or with the wing level? too many varibles and possibility for it to be wrong.

Hang it up or balance it on two points as we have always done for models since day one.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:23 PM
ivesdo

Ireally hate to add to what was already stated, but Iset my CGby distance as per the manual and the plane flies like a dream. My stalls just mush. Having flown the Kangaroo and Rookie series, it feels wierd to have to land with some power until touchdown. Iam really enjoying flying this plane even though I am far beyond a "trainer" jet.

One question though. Has anyone had any troubles getting their nose gear to lock down ? Mine gets held backwards in an unlocked position because of air pressure. Even in a well flared landing, sometimes it still is not locked at touchdown. Ihave changed the nose retract to a heavier duty spring air, but have not flown it yet. Any thoughts ?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82079.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	1785565  
Old 07-24-2012, 02:10 PM
BaldEagel

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Must be a Rookie Mk 1 without the canards used as an air brake, I have to use power all the way to touch down to overcome the drag from the canard at 80degs, outer ailerons up and inner ailerons down.

Check that the down command air tube is not pinched, especially where it goes into the retract unit, or your operation valve is not closing/venting properly and keeping pressure in the up tube.

Mike
Old 07-24-2012, 03:15 PM
john491
My Feedback: (13)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ivesdo

I really hate to add to what was already stated, but I set my CG by distance as per the manual and the plane flies like a dream. My stalls just mush. Having flown the Kangaroo and Rookie series, it feels wierd to have to land with some power until touchdown. I am really enjoying flying this plane even though I am far beyond a ''trainer'' jet.

One question though. Has anyone had any troubles getting their nose gear to lock down ? Mine gets held backwards in an unlocked position because of air pressure. Even in a well flared landing, sometimes it still is not locked at touchdown. I have changed the nose retract to a heavier duty spring air, but have not flown it yet. Any thoughts ?

I also have had difficulty with my Robart spring down nose gear not locking. I'm still trying to find a solution.

BTW the CG for a plane does not change unless you change the wing. Weight does nothing to the CG. For my Falcon 13" is good, just lands a little hot if I haven't burned off enough fuel. As an EDF the same plane flew well at 13".

John
Old 07-24-2012, 03:18 PM
fw190pilot

ivesdo

Was having the same problem. Make sure your steering cables aren't too tight. It needs just a bit of slop and the nose gear will lock down everytime. Also make sure the retract sits flat on the rails if it rocks it will bind when the screws are tightened down.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:26 PM
phantom_najd

ORIGINAL: ivesdo

I really hate to add to what was already stated, but I set my CG by distance as per the manual and the plane flies like a dream. My stalls just mush. Having flown the Kangaroo and Rookie series, it feels wierd to have to land with some power until touchdown. I am really enjoying flying this plane even though I am far beyond a ''trainer'' jet.

One question though. Has anyone had any troubles getting their nose gear to lock down ? Mine gets held backwards in an unlocked position because of air pressure. Even in a well flared landing, sometimes it still is not locked at touchdown. I have changed the nose retract to a heavier duty spring air, but have not flown it yet. Any thoughts ?

Mine was doing the same until I made sure that the pull-pull steering cables are somewhat lose. Check if your cables are tight the gear won't lock down most of the times.

Azzam
Old 07-25-2012, 05:45 AM
Dblex

How does velcro and double sided tape hold up on the glass fuse on the inside? Anyone having trouble with it coming loose???
Old 07-25-2012, 10:23 AM
phantom_najd

ORIGINAL: Dblex

How does velcro and double sided tape hold up on the glass fuse on the inside? Anyone having trouble with it coming loose???
Sand the fuse and then coat it lightly with 5 mins epoxy then once cures stick the velcro or double sided tape.

Azzam
Old 07-26-2012, 03:50 AM
Xairflyer

Are you using velcro or some other brand that came from a pound/dollar store? Velcro branded stuff is all I use difference in day and night to other hook/loop fasteners.
You can also spray the surface you are gluing too with cyno kicker then few drops of cyno on the velcro. I also use this method with zip tie anchors.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:34 AM
Dblex

Use 3M stuff only, just made a tray for all electronics underneath the fuel tank and used velcro in case I need to service anything. I can just pull the whole tray now
Old 07-26-2012, 09:46 PM
rcpm5

v3 - there are two sets of laser markings on the aileron and flap doors.  one set i used to glue my servo mounting blocks for hs5645mg servos, what are the other tow for?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Dblex

Now just to complete the canopy mod, which one I havent decided on to do!!!! Geez! Then Its plug it all in and tighen things up.

Maybe a maiden Sunday.....

muhahahahaha
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26362.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	1786431  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.