Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Boomerang TORUS build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Boomerang TORUS build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:03 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boomerang TORUS build thread

OK here goes.

Got my Torus today so why not start a build thread. It won't be one where I start it tonite and fly it next week, but hopefully will get it done before Xmas!

For power I am taking the JC Super Eagle out of my PST Reaction. The Reaction has been good to me with almost 120 flights on it and still intend to fly it but I have a couple of things I would like to do with it over the winter so I am going to give it a vacation till the spring. Except for a couple of problems that I induced the Eagle has been a flawless performer. Would really like to put a Rhino or Cheetah on the plane but until the tax man gives me some good news after first of the year, the Eagle is paid for.

For retracts I will go with Dream Works trailing links. Ninety percent of my flying is off of various grass fields. I put a set of trailing links in my Reaction after 60 or so flight s with "straight legs" and a whole bunch of retract related problems disappeared.

Radio will be a JR 11x, servos will be various mix of Hitech and JR

On to the plane

Pulled the the plane out of the box and it has a very nice finish. Clear coat over paint. All the markings are already on the plane and clear coated over. Some of that I like, some I dont. Will make it a little difficult to individualize the plane but it can be worked around.

The center section is all one piece. Very nice. And lots of room to work

If anyone else would to post build tips please feel free.

Here are few pictures to get started.

Mike

Old 11-09-2010, 07:08 PM
zonker123

Default RE: Boomerang TORUS build thread

Couple more:
Old 11-09-2010, 07:13 PM
zonker123

Last ones for right now,

Just FYI, the Tip Tanks are almost 27 inches long
Old 11-09-2010, 07:21 PM
gruntled

Looks real nice!
Old 11-10-2010, 01:15 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got mine today as well. Threw it together for a pic on the pool table.

Highs:

-Its' big!
-Nice fiberglass work
-The wings and stab are built up and look like they're covered and then clearcoated!?!?!?
-Nice sullivan hardware package - all completely usefull and it looks like they're precut
-2 light carbon wing tubes - seem very strong (no flex like I saw on an Elan)
-Really good packing job
-Big wing cord
-Full set of wing bags, stab covers, etc. - even storage for the wing tubes down the side of one of the boom bags
-Both standard and tip tank wing ends supplied

Lows:

-Doesn't look like a lot of room in the fuse (I want room for smoke!)
-The yellow in the sport scheme is pukey (yes I said pukey)
-Those stupid combination servo mount/hatch. No way am I gonna bolt a 250+ oz servo to a couple of flimsy plastic servo rails.

Plan to post more pictures/build later.

PaulD

Old 11-10-2010, 09:07 PM
HELLFIRE989

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to the build guys!!!! I have had me eye on this one as well as a perfect candidate for my first jet.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:34 AM
petera38

Hi Guys,

Looking forward to following your thread!

/Pete
Old 11-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Pinnacle Aviation

Hi Guys,

Great to see some Torus's being built, I have built 3, the Sports scheme, the Aggressor scheme and a private scheme for Mr Boomerang himself.

I build the prototypes for Boomerang jets which is a really honor for me.

Myself and Alan came up with the Tip tank installation which i hope is a hit with you guys, having flown all of them and the Navy scheme they are a real dream to fly from being the beautiful smooth flying machine to the out and out ragging it flights.

On the first take off with the aggressor, which has a P160 in it, she went 3 lengths of the fuse down the strip then pulled her vertical and i mean vertical and she accelerated upwards which was truly amazing.

if you have any problems with your build, which I doubt it please do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected] or visit my website at www.philipnoel.co.uk/index2.htm

Phil
Old 11-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Pinnacle Aviation

Hi Guys,

Great to see some Torus's being built, I have built 3, the Sports scheme, the Aggressor scheme and a private scheme for Mr Boomerang himself.

I build the prototypes for Boomerang jets which is a really honor for me.

Myself and Alan came up with the Tip tank installation which i hope is a hit with you guys, having flown all of them and the Navy scheme they are a real dream to fly from being the beautiful smooth flying machine to the out and out ragging it flights.

On the first take off with the aggressor, which has a P160 in it, she went 3 lengths of the fuse down the strip then pulled her vertical and i mean vertical and she accelerated upwards which was truly amazing.

if you have any problems with your build, which I doubt it please do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected] or visit my website at www.philipnoel.co.uk/index2.htm

Phil
Old 11-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Pinnacle Aviation

some more photo's
Old 11-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Sonicwings

Hi Guys,

Great to see some pictures of this new bird, Looks very nice, any in flight shots you have to share...

Keep the info coming... Cheers Jeremy.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Pinnacle Aviation

we only have video at the moment, we are waiting for some good weather to get a proper video made but its now winter.

can you up load videos on here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuRA3DdltNg
Old 11-11-2010, 11:04 PM
zonker123

Had the day off today so I piddelled on the plane a little this afternoon.

Put the tip tanks on. Went about just a little differently as far as assembling the rods and tabs in the tanks. I glued the rods in the tanks first, Put a piece of packing tape over the wing tip to prevent any glue from sticking (per instructions) then inserted the tanks tabs in the wing before gluing them into the tanks. I then put the retaining bolt in the wing to keep the tab in place. I put just a little thin smear of hysol on the tab itself, but filled the slot in the tip tank with hysol. I also drilled a 1/4 " hole on the underside of the tank that allowed me to insert some hysol in the tab block itself, the picture can explain it better. Put the tank in the wing. cover the 1/4 hole with some black trim tape, set the wing on edge in my living room and by morning should have a solid mount. Overkill perhaps compared to the 5-minute epoxy suggested in the instructions but I feel better about it.

take care
mike

Addendum: I removed the tip tanks from the wing this morning before heading out to work and everything worked out great and is very solid.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:00 AM
hippo-1216

zonker123 Good luck with the build, This one just might be my next jet looks great
Old 11-12-2010, 07:21 AM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

Are the wings glassed and painted ?
Old 11-12-2010, 08:24 AM
zonker123

No they are not glassed.

The wings and the horizontal stab are film covered (don't know what kind) then painted. The entire plane is clear coated. It is a very shiny finish. How well it holds up only time will tell. Don't know how the other versions look but to me the Navy version looks much better in person than in the pictures I've seen.

I wanted the Aggressor version to begin with but one of the more knowledgeable jet guys talked me out of it. Ive got older eyes and he convinced me that the Aggressor scheme might work too well and disappear on me!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:55 PM
PaulD

Well, I've found the first "issue" - not a problem though.

The horizontal stab is tapered as most are and the servo hatch is quite close to the rear of the stab. I was planning to use a pair of 8711's and they're too thick. Maybe 8411's will be o.k. - dunno at this point but just a heads up for anyone. I took a quick look at the wings and they are o.k. for both the ailerons and flaps.

I checked the specs and 8411's are 2mm thinner than 8711's so this may be enough. The 8711's are 21mm and the 8411's are 19mm.

This is the first time I have seen a painted finish over white covering. The paint work is pretty good and the clearcoat finish is very shiny as mentioned but overall nice.

PaulD
Old 11-13-2010, 06:26 AM
petera38

Hi,

I was considering getting a Torus myself, but eventually ended up buying an XL instead!

One argument was the Oracovered wing tips. Another one was the difference in price. Almost £ 400! Which was more than I could afford. A third argument was my choice of turbine: A Jet Cat P120SE. As I understood it, the Torus was, among others, developed to meet the growing trend of installing larger and larger turbines in the XL....The Torus is specifically designed to cope with the larger turbines.
So I went for the XL!!
Imight glass the wingtips! And might make a set of wingtanks...(which I once did on my HotSpot). And I´m too old for blowing holes in the sky, so the combination of XL and JetCat P120 is perfect for me....however........
I WOULD RATHER HAVE BOUGHT A TORUS IN AGGRESSOR PAINT SCHEME...........If I have had the money!!!!!!

/Pete
Old 11-13-2010, 08:18 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

I wonder how the painted covering will react to being "touched up" with a heat gun which will be necessary at some point in time?

Dave Rigotti
Old 11-13-2010, 04:03 PM
PaulD

Latest update:

When installing the linkage in the flaps, the instructions tell you to set the horn 1" further back to allow more flap travel. Be careful here as the hard point only goes so far back in the flap and the dimension in the instructions is wrong. I had to move it 1/2" further forward to find some hardwood. I have some holes to patch now....

PaulD
Old 11-13-2010, 07:24 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder how the clear coat will react with Kerosene, as others have reported the Elan browned up behind the vent pipe a lot, made it look very messy.

Mike

PS I still think the tip tanks are back to front.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Couch Potato

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel
.....browned up behind the vent pipe a lot, made it look very messy.
You can get a bleaching kit for that.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:49 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does it work at 40deg's

Mike
Old 11-13-2010, 09:24 PM
zonker123

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

I wonder how the painted covering will react to being ''touched up'' with a heat gun which will be necessary at some point in time?

Dave Rigotti
Dave,

I have emailed Patricia and asked that question. I took my torus to an IMAA fly in today and put it together on display.
I noticed ( actually it was pointed out to me by another flyer) that the black along the leading edge was bubbling a little bit, and later in the day the horizontal stab covering had a small wrinkle in it as well.

It was sunny today but not hot. only about 65 degrees or so.

Will let you know what I hear.

mike
Old 11-14-2010, 06:52 AM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

I have had both the original Boomerang XL and the Boomerang XL II . I was not happy with covering on either one. The painted covering on the first one blistered and the XL II which had regular covering was very easily dinged due to soft balsa. I was hoping the Torus was glassed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.