Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetCat = The Best Turbine in Today's Market

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetCat = The Best Turbine in Today's Market

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Mike06659

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JetCat = The Best Turbine in Today's Market

*I wanted to know what makes JetCat the best turbine in today's market?

*It's almost a cult following. "They are everywhere"

*Is there something different with these turbines that others don't have? Software, qc, material, etc

*I also noticed they are cheaper then JetCentral now "Some models, Why?"

Any input would be appreciated

Old 11-23-2010, 09:04 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: JetCat = The Best Turbine in Today's Market

You know what they say, opinion's are like *****holes, everyone has one, some of them stink.

Jetcat is not the best turbine for me, but that's just me, might be for others, but blanket statements like "best turbine in today's market" just simply aren't accurate.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep,

A matter of taste and one's own needs. I've owned most of the major brands, and JetCat is the one I buy, use and sell. For me, it's the most reliable, most user-friendly, and has the easiest operation. Sure, it costs more than some out there, but I've never had to mess with it. I just hit the button....year after year after year. Sure, I'm a dealer, but the horse came before the cart on that one. I sell what I use and trust. Jet Cats, baby!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Delta Mike
My Feedback: (18)

I agree with LGM........They are the most popular, however they are not the best......
Old 11-23-2010, 09:20 PM
seflyer
My Feedback: (12)

450 flights in two years and never so much as a hiccup, no failed starts, no messing with any ecu settings from winter to summer. as with all the full scale stuff I have done, reliability reigns supreme, my money is staying with Jetcat. service is top notch as well. is there something better? maybe, but I'm not going looking for it.

Kevin
Old 11-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Mike06659

That's what I'm trying to understand. I do not own a JetCat but for most it's the only way they will go in the turbine world. I'm not trying to say one is better then the other, I'm just looking at the information from all sources.

The statement above regarding ease of operation, relibility, maybe the fact that keeps everyone so loyal.

I've just want a good turbine that I'm not sending back every 10hrs for this or that.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Mike06659

That's good to hear Kevin. I was wondering about the change in seasons as well. I know some change their settings during the changing seasons from other brand name turbines but when I ask the JetCat guys they just smile
Old 11-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

JetCentral hands down!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:42 PM
seflyer
My Feedback: (12)

I truly love the ease of which they all start and run, I currently have 4, 2 P-70's a 120 and a Titan, and picking up a P-60 most likely tonight. I have owned another brand turbine and it was reliable but out of the country service and cost of service was a downer.

Kevin
Old 11-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike:

If you ask me, IMHO it's the BEST MARKETED turbine of all brands, that I acknowledge (the main reason for the following and even that you can see is declining), nothing else over most others. Based on the limited exposure I have seen from other owners (I have never owned one, and don't think I ever will), the Jetcats have been the ones with the most issues, sent for repairs more than once for the same problems, expensive repair bills etc, etc. The most reliable? the old RAMS! (never seen an old RAM fail), the best service? Jet Central! the best warranty? Jet Central! I now have three Jet Central Turbines, the reason? Warranty and Service I have seen others receive, that's what I wanted...

I must admit that the Purple Covers look cool though...
Old 11-24-2010, 12:21 AM
james love
My Feedback: (2)

Jetcat only for me. I own two now and a total of five over the years. Always starts and runs and have had few issues requiring a call to jetcat USA California to get resoulved. Routine Service when required was always accomplished quickly when returned to Jetcat USA .

I have owned three rams in the pass and can say my experience with then does not even come close too Jetcat.

James Love
Old 11-24-2010, 02:15 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

jet cat best quallity[8D][sm=thumbup.gif]

http://www.jetcat.de/downloads/jetca...g-2010_web.pdf
Old 11-24-2010, 04:22 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jetcat is the "OS engines" in the turbine market.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:23 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 wren MKIII 2 P80SE 1 120SX all work great and no troubles. My first Wren MKII has over 100 hrs on it and is still going with no repairs
Old 11-24-2010, 07:19 AM
KC36330

I'm as dedicated a JetCat user as anyone out there but i have to agree with some of the other posts, JetCat's aren't for everyone, if you like to tinker with ECU settings and fiddle with this and that rather then flying (which there are a lot of people who do) a JetCat isn't the turbine for you.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:20 AM
jetguy34695
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"You know what they say, opinion's are like *****holes, everyone has one, some of them stink." that is a perfect quote especially from who it is coming from. In my opinion, that is like saying that Ford stinks because I drive a Chevy. There are a lot more Jetcats out there then the other brand but I see a lot of guys at events having starting problems with brand x but Jetcats seem to have far fewer problem. If you really think about it Jetcat has been around a lot longer so there are many versions out there still flying from all the way back when Ram was still around. Their quality and reliability cannot be matched by the competition. But that is just my opinion.

The good thing is that competition only helps advance improvements and keeps cost in control
Old 11-24-2010, 07:23 AM
GrayUK

Wren for me.
Very reliable, fantastic service.

Paul
Old 11-24-2010, 07:55 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

[X(] mod. will throw you out of here for a question like that ,[]
Old 11-24-2010, 07:59 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mike06659

*I wanted to know what makes JetCat the best turbine in today's market?

*It's almost a cult following. ''They are everywhere''

*Is there something different with these turbines that others don't have? Software, qc, material, etc

*I also noticed they are cheaper then JetCentral now ''Some models, Why?''

Any input would be appreciated

Also bear in mind that Jet Cat has been around a long time, really from the beginning of the r/c turbine era. Other than AMT, I'm not sure who is left from those very early days. In any case, it's many years of developing loyalty and in the case of the US market, a reliable and respectable representative in the person of Bob Wicox.

They have also been in the forefront of technology improvements. Who remembers when they introduced the "revolutionary" concept of electric start?

Unless a competing brand has major advantages, many Jet Cat loyalists just don't feel like switching.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:35 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have identified several problems associated with the Jetcat engines that I have owned, and I think I have at least one of every model except for the 200. The problems are listed below:

1. I get sooooo bored operating those damn engines! The start sequence is the same every time. No flames out of the back end or exciting stuff like turbine wheels blowing apart, no pyrotechnics, nothing! Very boring! I only get to hit two switches on the radio and it does the rest....I feel really left out and redundant!

2. My fuel bills are too high, mainly because those engines of mine keep running and guzzling fuel. When I bought my engines, I bought them to just sit around and look good. Little did I know I would be suckered into flying the damn things as I was fresh out of excuses not too....sitting on the taxi way with the engine running every time doesn't leave you with many options to pike out now does it? Very unreasonable of jetcat to paint me into that corner!

3. I don't get to show off my superb piloting skills by pulling off dead stick landings all the time. Robbed again of earning bragging rights with my mates.

4. My models rack up too many flights and therefore devalue themselves faster. Now I really should have thought about that a bit more. Had I bought a less reliable engine at least some of my models would remain unscratched and would remain "as new".

5. They don't bounce when you drop them on the floor! (don't ask how I know!) Surely you should be able to claim that under warranty.....how unreasonable!

6. Their ecu robs me of the opportunity to guess how much fuel I have remaining after a flight, by telling me in the info submenu.

7. Their engines and their associated reliability cause marital problems by coercing me into buying more of them and then having to find models to fit them into! The only saving grace is that the engines tend to arrive in a rather unimpressive cardboard boxes that usually fly just under the wifey's finely tuned radar, which is only marginally less sensitive than that "acquired" by the US military for testing Have Blue!

8. Every time I fancy my chances of improving the engine's performance by screwing around with the settings I run into a brick wall. They simply will not allow me to bugger it up, by changing tried and tested parameters....outrageous! Now how am I supposed to learn from my mistakes??!!

Just my thoughts......

Craig.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Mike06659

All good info guys, I just wanted to hear the experiences and knowledge from this market. I'm currently running an old FTE-500 "RAM" and it runs great but for my second turbine I wanted to hear some voices. As stated above I am not one of those guys that goes to the field and wants to full with settting all day long and maybe get a flight or two in. I have seen that at my club with a few other name brand turbines. When I go to the field I want my 5 gallon container of Kero to be emtpy when I leave

Old 11-24-2010, 09:10 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Craig B.

I have identified several problems associated with the Jetcat engines that I have owned, and I think I have at least one of every model except for the 200. The problems are listed below:

1. I get sooooo bored operating those damn engines! The start sequence is the same every time. No flames out of the back end or exciting stuff like turbine wheels blowing apart, no pyrotechnics, nothing! Very boring! I only get to hit two switches on the radio and it does the rest....I feel really left out and redundant!

2. My fuel bills are too high, mainly because those engines of mine keep running and guzzling fuel. When I bought my engines, I bought them to just sit around and look good. Little did I know I would be suckered into flying the damn things as I was fresh out of excuses not too....sitting on the taxi way with the engine running every time doesn't leave you with many options to pike out now does it? Very unreasonable of jetcat to paint me into that corner!

3. I don't get to show off my superb piloting skills by pulling off dead stick landings all the time. Robbed again of earning bragging rights with my mates.

4. My models rack up too many flights and therefore devalue themselves faster. Now I really should have thought about that a bit more. Had I bought a less reliable engine at least some of my models would remain unscratched and would remain ''as new''.

5. They don't bounce when you drop them on the floor! (don't ask how I know!) Surely you should be able to claim that under warranty.....how unreasonable!

6. Their ecu robs me of the opportunity to guess how much fuel I have remaining after a flight, by telling me in the info submenu.

7. Their engines and their associated reliability cause marital problems by coercing me into buying more of them and then having to find models to fit them into! The only saving grace is that the engines tend to arrive in a rather unimpressive cardboard boxes that usually fly just under the wifey's finely tuned radar, which is only marginally less sensitive than that ''acquired'' by the US military for testing Have Blue!

8. Every time I fancy my chances of improving the engine's performance by screwing around with the settings I run into a brick wall. They simply will not allow me to bugger it up, by changing tried and tested parameters....outrageous! Now how am I supposed to learn from my mistakes??!!

Just my thoughts......

Craig.
Now thats funny right there
Old 11-24-2010, 09:27 AM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

ORIGINAL: Craig B.

4. My models rack up too many flights and therefore devalue themselves faster. Now I really should have thought about that a bit more. Had I bought a less reliable engine at least some of my models would remain unscratched and would remain ''as new''.

7. Their engines and their associated reliability cause marital problems by coercing me into buying more of them and then having to find models to fit them into! The only saving grace is that the engines tend to arrive in a rather unimpressive cardboard boxes that usually fly just under the wifey's finely tuned radar, which is only marginally less sensitive than that ''acquired'' by the US military for testing Have Blue!

Just my thoughts......

Craig.
Now thats funy right there

+1 Very funny

I did all the same research and your going to get a different answer around every corner..I bought a Jetcat last year as my first turbine, I went with it because the majority had all good things to say as far as reliability and service, plus it seems to be the norm at the flying field and I wanted something that the people around me were familiar with
Old 11-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Now thats Funny Craig... But so so true.
I have played around, owned, flown.. whatever you want to call it. With pretty much every turbine out there. On top of that I have been at event after event where I have seen countless others operate a variety of different turbines over the years.
With the amount of flying I do, and the number of different airframes that i fly in an average season reliability and ease of operation is paramount to me. With that in mind my first choice turbine is hands down a Jet cat. Thats not to say that I dont own others at the same time ( Currently I have AMT's, Jet Centrals, Merlins and a little lambert). I always try to base my opinions on my own first hand experiences, and in 2010 I have had some great experience with both my Merlins and Jet centrals that I own. My little Lambert has been a gem.. in-fact thinking about it. Its been a few years since I had any really bad experiences with any of my turbines.
Regards Al
Old 11-24-2010, 10:21 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well after almost 2 months of voting for the all round best turbine of the year, which includes the turbine and customer service, the RCU turbine forum readers say that [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10068716/tm.htm]JetCat is the best turbine in 2010[/link] at 37% of all votes. I'll hold the same poll next year and we will see if they are able to stay on top.. Congrats Jetcat btw!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10068716/tm.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.