Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Wren 160 explodes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Wren 160 explodes

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:36 AM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wren 160 explodes

ORIGINAL: Jim Cattanach

Jason. You are a well known dyed in the wool Wren shill. All I originally posted, was state what happened & asked if anyone else had experienced the same problem.
Any other comments I have made are because of people like you trying to stir it up.
I will make no further comment until I hear from Wren.
Thanks for that Jim,

But, I haven't spoken to anyone at Wren for I'm guessing at over a year in fact I don't even own a Wren any more. All my engines are either Merlin's or AMT's. I have no allegiance to them at all and I would have posted the same if you had ruined any other make.

What happened to your turbine can happen to them all and I personally have seen it happen to engines from every mainstream manufacturer out there.

And to basically call Wren liar's regarding the filter in the last engine you broke is plain wrong too. If Wren say it was full of cr@p then it was.

I hope Wren do you no favours and your bill reflects the way you have conducted yourself on here.

Best Regards
Jason
Old 01-01-2011, 08:37 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-01-2011, 08:41 AM
GrayUK

Wren is a reputable and honest company, one of the best I have ever known.
I am sure they will resolve your problems.

Paul
Old 01-01-2011, 08:50 AM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

watch it Paul, you are running the risk of being call a Wren shill

Happy New Year!
Jason
Old 01-01-2011, 08:56 AM
c_makhija

Hi Jim,

I have had 2 Wren 160s with similar problems as yours. Both the Turbines were from the first batch in 2009 using the FADEC ECU. After around 30 flights on each of them they both sufferedcompressor failures destroying most of the turbine. In both cases i was lucky to land my Flash back on the runway.
Both the 160s were out of warranty when the incidents occurred and on both occasions Mike offered to fix the Turbines FOC for me, accepting it is a manufacturing fault. Mike informed me the 160 compressor is the only part which is not made in house and have had a few 160s blown up due to compressor failure. Wren have now moved to the new machined compressors which are much stronger.

Chatty.

I was flying my MB339 the other day & had four great flights. A couple of minutes into the next flight, there was a loud bang & the turbine stopped. I managed to land ok. The force of the incident had broken one of the wooden turbine mounts & the turbine had turned in its own mounts, causing them to twist. I removed the turbine & saw that two blades were missing from the turbine wheel & the tailcone was bent & twisted. There was rattling from under the FOD cover. When it was removed, a number of screws fell out. The festos had all been destroyed.
I bought this turbine new just over a year ago & it has not had much running. As Wren only guarantee their turbines for a year, it will be out of warranty. I have shipped it back to them for examination & can only hope they agree that this type of incident is not what would be expected & repair it at a reasonable cost. It looks an expensive repair.
Has anyone else had a similar incidentwith a Wren 160?
Old 01-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

I was flying my MB339 the other day & had four great flights. A couple of minutes into the next flight, there was a loud bang & the turbine stopped. I managed to land ok. The force of the incident had broken one of the wooden turbine mounts & the turbine had turned in its own mounts, causing them to twist. I removed the turbine & saw that two blades were missing from the turbine wheel & the tailcone was bent & twisted. There was rattling from under the FOD cover. When it was removed, a number of screws fell out. The festos had all been destroyed.
I bought this turbine new just over a year ago & it has not had much running. As Wren only guarantee their turbines for a year, it will be out of warranty. I have shipped it back to them for examination & can only hope they agree that this type of incident is not what would be expected & repair it at a reasonable cost. It looks an expensive repair.
If it looks anything like these pictures, then it is simply a bearing failure. To say it "explodes" is a little overkill. When a bearing fails, the turbine stops spinning abruptly and can shear bolts and spin in the mount.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29417.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1540681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14399.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1540682  
Old 01-01-2011, 09:27 AM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

ORIGINAL: c_makhija

Hi Jim,

I have had 2 Wren 160s with similar problems as yours. Both the Turbines were from the first batch in 2009 using the FADEC ECU. After around 30 flights on each of them they both suffered compressor failures destroying most of the turbine. In both cases i was lucky to land my Flash back on the runway.
Both the 160s were out of warranty when the incidents occurred and on both occasions Mike offered to fix the Turbines FOC for me, accepting it is a manufacturing fault. Mike informed me the 160 compressor is the only part which is not made in house and have had a few 160s blown up due to compressor failure. Wren have now moved to the new machined compressors which are much stronger.

Chatty.

Jim, you did nothing wrong in posting. Guys on here will always find a reason to beat on others when posting something they see as negative towards a mfg they like. Nothing is ever said about someone posting problems with Jet Joe. They keep going back to you stating the "out of warranty" issue. Well lets see, if he had not stated any warranty issue at all then you guys would be "Is it still under warranty?".
The post above, if true is one reason why others need to see these post. Nothing negative on Wren. In fact, the poster spoke highly of Wren.

Gary Arthur... how dare you post a problem with a "purple turbine" boy are you going to get a beat down! lol just kidding.

happy new year to everyone
Old 01-01-2011, 09:42 AM
K-A

Jim you has done nothing wrong whith posting your problems here that is what theese forums are made fore, sharing good and less good experiences, and as you have seen you are not the only wren 160 owner whith this problem as it seems.

K-A
Old 01-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Pegasus

"My God, all he did was ask a question and some act like he just dissed their mom or shot their puppy. Sometimes I wish there was a pink panties rating you could give people...."

LOL, I had a post a while back to do with Horizon Hobby, there were a few guys on there that would have rated very high on the "pink panty rating"

There is something to be learned off this post, not to stand beside these engines. I see many guys doing this with their engines at full throttle all the time, I warn everyone when I run mine not to stand beside them, and its not because I have ever had a problem with it coming apart, but it could. Good thing no one was beside yours, I'm glad you got the plane down ok. I am sure Wren will take care of it.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:15 AM
melnickj

People ask what is e purpose of this post without a cause? I have one idea ................

If I had one of these units I may decide not o use it until the problem is resolved. Otherwise you risk your model which may far exceed the cost of the turbine.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:57 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Jim,

I have had 2 Wren 160s with similar problems as yours. Both the Turbines were from the first batch in 2009 using the FADEC ECU. After around 30 flights on each of them they both suffered compressor failures destroying most of the turbine. In both cases i was lucky to land my Flash back on the runway.

Chatty.

Well there it is, all of the justification for posting that anyone could ask for. Thanks to the OP's efforts, another user has shared 1) common data points for us all to be aware of and 2) a testimoial to Wren's backing of their products.

Good Job.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:36 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first turbine only had 6 hours on the clock when it suffered a blade failure on the compressor and shelled the berarings while in flight. I got the plane down without damage. Because the turbine was used and over 4 years old I knew that the repair was going to be on me. So I took pictures of the install and wrote up what had happened and sent it off to the manufacture to await my fate. Two weeks later it showed up on my doorstep totally rebuilt with no charge at all to me, not even the freight Just a note that said welcome to Jet flying and please call if there are any future concerns.

I have since purchased two brand new turbines and both were from the same guys. They sure proved thier dedication to customer support and made a loyal customer out of me. I didn't name the tubine manufacture on purpose because (both of my new turbines do however have lifetime warranties) in the context of this message it really isn't important to anyone except me.

I know the Wren turbines are a quality product and would bet they know how to cement those long term relationships just like my guys did for me.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Extra Aviator

ORIGINAL: mick15

This thread has certainly lost its direction hasn’t it? It was never exclusively about Wren but about the way a problem was addressed, it is still my view the approach was in the wrong order.
Because posting on the net first intimidates a manufacturer into a course he may not ordinarily pursue, to explain, If the unit had been returned to them quietly they could have decided for themselves whether it showed a generic fault or not. If a generic fault is discovered then any responsible manufacturer would recall all units for a safety modification.
As it is now they are forced to repair the engine and ship ASAP to quell the uproar, just a personal opinion and the way I have addressed such an issue.

brg m
You need to pull your string out and put a fresh pad in.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Extra Aviator

ORIGINAL: jason

I have to say if I were Wren I would be very upset with your posts Jim and I would do only what I have to regarding your 160 problem. As it's out of warranty I'd be charging you for the repair. I don't think there’s many who would disagree with that. There a right and wrong way about going about things and in my opinion you have gone about it the wrong way.

Regards and a happy new year

Jason
Let the record show that most people here disagree with you.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Extra Aviator

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

It is tough not to post a problem or loss without mentioning a brand name to 'warn' others, but throwing in an ''it's out of warranty'' is an un-called for black eye for the manufacturer.
[/quote]

I think the fact that it's out of warranty and that he will have to ''depend'' on the ''goodwill'' of the manufacturer is an extremely valid point that Wren should strongly consider. Their 1 year warranty is the weakest of any of the turbine manufacturers, most have at least 2yrs, 3yrs or lifetime. If Wren believes in their product, they should offer a competitive warranty, they should also be aware that their lack of a competitive warranty is negatively impacting their sales.

I would never purchase a Wren, although I consider it a superb turbine brand but, there are other superb brands with far superior warranties. I think this type of feedback is key to the well being of the company.

Mike

[/quote]
You cant be coming and going at the same time. You are contradicting yourself. First you think its a black eye for the manufacture then you think this is all good for them????????????????????*** put down the weed dude??????????????????????? Good grief Charlie Brown.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:07 PM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: Moore Aviation

It is tough not to post a problem or loss without mentioning a brand name to 'warn' others, but throwing in an ''it's out of warranty'' is an un-called for black eye for the manufacturer.

I think the fact that it's out of warranty and that he will have to ''depend'' on the ''goodwill'' of the manufacturer is an extremely valid point that Wren should strongly consider. Their 1 year warranty is the weakest of any of the turbine manufacturers, most have at least 2yrs, 3yrs or lifetime. If Wren believes in their product, they should offer a competitive warranty, they should also be aware that their lack of a competitive warranty is negatively impacting their sales.

I would never purchase a Wren, although I consider it a superb turbine brand but, there are other superb brands with far superior warranties. I think this type of feedback is key to the well being of the company.

Mike

You cant be coming and going at the same time. You are contradicting yourself. First you think its a black eye for the manufacture then you think this is all good for them????????????????????*** put down the weed dude??????????????????????? Good grief Charlie Brown.

Moore, I don't do drugs... that's your first 'swing & a miss' with me.
Learn how to properly use a Quote Box when quoting.

Get back to the RC Car section you hang out in... and resume your weed session, SHILL.

Keep it up... you're making many friends here
Old 01-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Extra Aviator

The put down the weed comment was not meant to mean that you actually do drugs, but that you make as much sense in the comment i tried to qoute(excuse me) as someone who does do drugs. Your name calling doesnt make you right, or any better than me or anyone else either. Just makes you look petty. You were contradicting yourself in your post, bigtime. Me, Iv'e never been to the rc car section of the site. Not really into cars so much. My point is Jim did not insult or disrespect anyone here with this thread. He did us all a favor. Mabey you dont see it that way, but Jim is not badmouthing Wren, but you and the others bringing out the negative side of things in this helpful thread, are. Mean people suck!! I dont keep score or count strikes. I leave that for the little league. Happy New Year.
Too bad forthright people cant speak thier mind with out being critisized. Did i mispell anything else? Will you insult me for that again?? Are you that guy??? How is saying "its out of warranty", a black eye for the manufacturer?? Its just a simple statement that it is out of warranty. ??? Sounded more like, if anyone has any suggestions about saving a buck or getting good repair from anywhere for a out of warranty unit, please do tell!! Again there was no disrespecting of Wren there. From the sounds of it, these 160's have had the fair share of problems, not that all others dont either. And if the warranty is very short term, compared to others or others turbines, then mabey Wren will add a year to it or so since they seem to be taking care of most their customers with out of warranty 160's already. Perhaps this thread will help wren improve thier product and become a better company as a result. I think that was the only premonition intended.
Good luck Jim. Dont let the negative comments ruin your new year. Everyone take a deep breath and relax. These are just toys, exspensive yes, but still just toys. Now everyone should shut up and go fly.[sm=48_48.gif]
Old 01-01-2011, 01:43 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Good morning (well it is in Cyprus) & happy new year. I don't want to say much more as it seems to provide ammunition for argument.
I will give a brief history of the turbine & then wait & post the outcome.
The 160 was one of two I ordered at the Jetpower show in Germany in September 2009. They are both the 160 pro versions, with Projet ECU's. One was delivered in November 2009 & the other in December 2009. Both have been back to Wren for ECU upgrades & one had a new NGV fitted.
I did not check the actual runtime on this turbine before I shipped it back to Wren & I cannot remember if it was the one I received in Nov or Dec. Both turbines will have roughly equal run times. I checked the other one & it has eight hours on it.
As I said, I will post the outcome. I do not expect to end up with a virtually new turbine at no cost, considering it is a year old.

Jim ! is that you mate?

stop changing your nicknames people i cant tell who is who anymore
sorry for your engine ,im sure wren will take care of you!...i remember Christos had good relantioships with them!

good luck mate
Old 01-01-2011, 02:01 PM
FILE IFR

Good luck Jim. Dont let the negative comments ruin your new year. Everyone take a deep breath and relax. These are just toys, exspensive yes, but still just toys. Now everyone should shut up and go fly.[sm=48_48.gif]

Sounds like you should take your own advice and put it to action... enjoy your ice cream, lil' tiger

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26547.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1540868  
Old 01-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Tarasdad

If I were an engine manufacturer and someone had an issue like this I'd be going all out to find out what happened and why. I'd also be interested in hearing if anyone else had the same or a similar issue. Being pissed because they posted it on a forum like this would be the last thing on my mind. The negative comments from some of the posters in response to the OP, on the other hand...

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:40 PM
c_makhija

Thanks highhorse.

Chatty.
ORIGINAL: highhorse

Hi Jim,

Chatty.

Well there it is, all of the justification for posting that anyone could ask for. Thanks to the OP's efforts, another user has shared 1) common data points for us all to be aware of and 2) a testimoial to Wren's backing of their products.

Good Job.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Extra Aviator

I dont understand why anyone here is adding insult to injury. And thanks Big Tigre'. Your portrait looks you have a striking resemblence to Mikey Teutul from American Chopper. He probably likes ice cream too. Cheer's.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Extra Aviator

See!! File IFR and Mikey!! Good stuff.[sm=bananahead.gif]
Attached Images   
Old 01-01-2011, 03:33 PM
FILE IFR

Welp, I'm gonna take the advice of FalconWings signature...

Congrats moore

Old 01-01-2011, 04:29 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike

[/quote]
[/quote]

Think u should put down the weed dude, you've combined my post with the one that it was addressing and hence the contradiction. Seems that the "pretty box" didn't wrap the quotes but, the (quote) marks are there. Maybe you could try reading before you enlighten us with your wisdom?

Mke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.