Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow Aircraft F-22 ARF Assembly Thread

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow Aircraft F-22 ARF Assembly Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Yellow Aircraft F-22 ARF Assembly Thread

Wow

Good to know! I'll take a look at this one and see what's what. Fortunately, the control surfaces (all of them) are removable on the ARF. The rudder hinges have the wire guided through them, so I can access the fin trailing edge.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Ian R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

Just received mine via Shaun 

Very happy, I was impressed with my Yellow F15, but this model has been taken to another level.

The packaging was excellent and it arrived in A1 condition after it's extend travel to get to me (China,USA,UK). All the extras , pipe, u/c and tanks are very good.

thanks again Shaun and Charles

Ian.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Shaun Evans

Ian,

I'm VERY relieved it arrived in good shape! Thanks for the emails, too. Do you plan to start on yours right away?
Old 01-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Ian R

Hi Shaun
Yes but slowly as I have to finish another prop model first so I will work on the 22 when glueingetcis going off on the other model.
Icannot see how to remove the rudders on mine, no wire like on the F15, looks like it already has six or seven robart hinges in, as best as I can tell as the hinge joint is so good!
Isaw your customer one came with the pipe inseparatebox , mine came fitted in the model. Good news as the work has been largely done, bad news no supply of lite ply as I have just run out of the ply that came with my F15
Ian
Old 01-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Shaun Evans

Really?

LOL, it always amuses me how no two of these ARF's are exactly alike. They build them one-by-one from the kits, so they get 'bright ideas' from one kit to the other. This one didn't come already installed, but it's all good!
Old 01-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Ian R

Shaun and the others flying the 22

The tail planes have a large area behindthepivotpoint, hence making them very tail heavy increasing servo load.

Now I know the flight loads will be different and one should not perfectly balance them but leave them slightly tail heavy, as built they seem too much I was wondering if to add some lead into the nose of each tail plane what do you think?

Ian
Old 01-24-2011, 12:51 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Shaun,
Just found a possible weak spot you can avoid during this build. Before you put your nose gear in place a cf tape piece on the top and bottom of the nose gear former at the glue joint of it and the fuselage. After an "off road" excursion this weekend the nosegear former popped loose from the fuselage.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Ian R

Hi Tom

Thanks I will add some reinforcement

did you balance your elevons! ref my question earlier in this thread. Just checking things before I finish mine

thanks Ian
Old 01-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Shaun Evans

Ian,

The subject has come up many times, and you're going to get as many answers as there are people answering. Usually, it ends up in heated debate. As for this particular airplane, its design engineer says not to. If your servos are strong and precise enough, it may not hurt to, but there are as many potential liabilities as benefits. In the end, there is no aerodynamic need whatsoever, and if your servos will be harmed by the 'bouncing' of the stabs while taxiing around, then they probably aren't suitable for the task in the first place.

Tom,

Thanks, I already took care of that. Great minds think alike, because as soon as I took it out of the box, I thought I should probably reinforce that area. Your experience proves it.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:50 PM
tp777fo

Ian, My stabs are not balanced. I originally used JR 8611s but they sagged without power. When you powered up they snapped to neutral and eventually they got the"jitters". Aerodynamically the stabs are fine and the balancing is not necessary. I replaced them with JR 8711s which hold the stabs at neutral with power off. I have not had any more problems.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:33 AM
Ian R

Tom and Shaun

Thanks for your reply I was aware of the debate. As you said the servo will hold when powered I was just thinking about the non flying "static" taxi loads etc. i am going for the 20kg plus servos so anticipate no issues.

Final question for now

As I have read ahead in the manual and looked at my model the pipe has the bypass feeding into it. I note the instructions to trim the bypass to leave a gap to the pipe. I have done this before on other models  to improve cooling and increase static thrust, but my pipe does not have a bell mouth which implies the use of the bypass as one piece into the pipe. what are our views?

Ian
Old 01-25-2011, 02:05 PM
tp777fo

I have a gap between the bypass and the pipe. I also have a belmouth and would recommend one to smooth out the air flow, bet Shaun can get you one. You are going to love this jet!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

After a very busy weekend of loading my last musical out of the theatre after show close, I got back to work on the Raptor. I'm fixing some problems that showed up with the ARF right now. Somehow, the canopy got compressed and the glue joint separated around 50% of the area. There were some scratches and dents in the canopy when it hit the rails of the ejection seat. I ordered a new canopy and will install it for the customer before I send it off. Another issue is the not-superb range-of-motion of the inner main gear doors. I found them to be not as good as I'm used to on our ARF's, so I'm having to spend some time to get them to open all of the way. Instead of the standoff shown in the plans, I'm using a simple plywood one glued to the inner door. This will double as the anchor for the elastic string that will pull the door closed.

Another issue I encountered is the missing engine accessories trays. They're in the instruction photos, instructions and parts sheet; but not in the plane and not in the box. I'll have to fabricate my own. I've passed this issue along and hopefully, it will be rectified in the next batch.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:07 AM
Ian R

Thanks Tom and Shaun

Shaun see RCU pm

Ian
Old 01-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Here are a few more pics from yesterday (I couldn't post them then because RCU was doing its "new" thing). The first pic is the installed canopy lift cylinder. The next one is the port-side canopy lock cylinder. Those are connected to a spring-loaded lock, and all three are connected to a UP-3 valve.

The third pic is the painted gear sitting in the well. The outer door is ready to go, but the inner one is requiring some tweaking.

The fourth pic is the fin trailing edge. There was some concern about the hinges being glued into only balsa, but that's all I've ever really done with a jet. I have 'pull-tested' the hinges, and they all feel quite secure. Also, there are seven of them, so I think we're good.

The next couple of pics are just the jet sitting on the deck. It was nice to see it up on its feet! The last is the gear door standoff I made to keep the door from snagging on the strut.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32296.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1553732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23185.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1553733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49245.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1553734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30039.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1553735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33665.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	1553736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23891.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1553737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha79260.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1553738  
Old 01-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Ian R

thanks for the photos Shaun,

How did you pivot the canopy?

Mine has the two tongues that engage the dowel inside the fuselage in the standard removable canopy approach, did you modify this  and how does it clear the rear canopy and fuselage vee 

Also where have you decide to install the heavy stuff ref  c of g, on F15 the battery's I have are behind the c of g?
 I get the feel from this model moment arms etc. nose weight wont be so critical. I just want to plan the layout

Thanks again 
Ian
Old 01-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Shaun Evans

Ian,

I'm using the stock setup with a plywood rail glued to the top back corner of the canopy frame. That's what the cylinder is attached to. I'll post some pics later tonight. As for placement of batteries and goodies, I'm not that far along yet. With the full-depth cockpit, space is at a serious premium.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Ian R

thanks Shaun
it was the actual pivot part I was interested in. As I said mine has two forks see attached

Ian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57456.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1553999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10390.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1554000  
Old 01-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Shaun Evans

Ian,

Yep, that's the same thing I have. That's the pivot. If you grab the front of the canopy and lift straight up, it pivots up and down. I'll probably be able to post a video tomorrow after I have everything plumbed to the valve. BTW, your bell-mouth is on the way as well.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Ian R

Ok thanks Shaun

So the recommendation is to shorten the bypass rather than make it fully connected to the pipe. It would make sense in terms of static thrust and from the video on rcu  top speed is not an issue which is normally why people full duct the install

Thanks Ian
Old 01-27-2011, 03:56 PM
tp777fo

All my motor stuff on shelves in front of fuel tanks. UAT between intakes. Rx on front shelf. Gear sequencer on shelf over nose retract. Rx batts (A123 x 2) in nose on front tray. ECU batt (A123) on fuse side abeam nose gear. UAT is PITA and I need to find it a new home. Air tanks siliconed to top of fuse above intakes. Balance by moving ECU batt. Service panel for air, charging jacks, switch mounted vertically on nose gear former at back of canopy. Scale cockpit falls right into place as it is mounted on canopy. Oh yeah, the pump is on the fuselage floor directly under the round intake former.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Shaun.. are you sure that's the F-22? Looks a lot like the new Stealth Fighter..
Old 01-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

Shaun.. are you sure that's the F-22? Looks a lot like the new Stealth Fighter..

LOL,

Yes, the Stealth Fighter! Who said "F-22"?????
Old 01-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Ian R

Thanks Tom for the layout advice

Ian
Old 01-28-2011, 12:54 AM
Ian R

Shaun

Sorry to be PITA but could you let me have the dimensions of the servo arms (if modified the finished length)

I am after the dimensions from the centre of the servo hub to the control connection.

some of the arms recommend are not availiable this side of the pond

thanks Ian

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.