Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow Aircraft F-22 ARF Assembly Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow Aircraft F-22 ARF Assembly Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:22 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Yellow Aircraft F-22 ARF Assembly Thread

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Barry,

Nice! Hey, is it my imagination, or an optical illusion? Look at the fins at about 3:00 into the vid. Are the rudders shaking that much in flight?
After a closer look, I kinda doubt that the servo speed was as fast as my dumb thumb shaking, lol, so I'll take a closer look at the condition of servo and linkage, maybe mount the camera for a better look next time, good eye Shaun!

Barry
Old 03-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Barry,

You wanna see some shaking thumbs? You should have seen me on the sticks......
Old 03-28-2011, 05:33 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Even "Strykass" would love that! Great job Shaun, YA has just produced the worlds best flying RC jet IMHO. I'm thinking about ordering another one as a spare.....just in case.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Shaun,

You can do some really silly ***** with those VT nozzles! I love it! Looks like alot of fun. Nice landing on the second flight.

Craig.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:00 PM
JET FX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed the rudder waving at me also in that vid ...... Its really the one obvious potential weak link I and others have also found.

FYI ~ Barry the rudder on the FB F-22 does need seriously strong servos and linkages and 'if' flutter does occur it is generally quite severe and can potentially cause total fin failure. Solution is HD Digi metal gear servos, quality metal HD linkage and HD composite or metal control horns. I had dual rudder failure and separation on my one occur at moderate speed using HD nylon horns and a 32 lb. thrust turbine. Got it down ok but a tad worrying at the time..... My one flies excellent now and on tailerons alone for primary flight controls. Rudders and vert fins (non removable) now permanently fixed in place with Hysol. I know AMA require rudders so above solution would my recommendation, but still would glue fins permanently just incase of rudder failure that could save you..... still keep an eye on fin strength integredidy regardless thats a lot of thrust for this bird Ive seen em fly great with as little as 19-20 lb thrust.

Cheers- Marty
Old 03-30-2011, 08:55 PM
ddlstang
My Feedback: (2)

So Shaun, what do you think of it overall? Any quirks we need to be aware of, I know Ron is getting anxious, He'll be even more inspired when he gets back from Toledo.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:52 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

I saw 2 minor building issues. 1. Reinforce the nose gear mount with some cf and hysol. 2. Soak the vert stab hinge plates with thin CA and use large hinges. Absolutely no flying issues with this jet...it's fast and lands slow. The best jet in my squadron by far.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

I agree. My only personal gripes have to do with the gear doors. They're not structural issues, I just think that it wouldn't have taken a whole lot more effort to make molded gear doors and maybe a less flimsy door hinge on the mains. They've performed as advertized for the three flights I put on the bird, but I'm just not a big fan of 2-dimensional carbon doors. I prefer the 3-d doors like on the F-15.

I made the reinforcement on the nose gear plate per Tom's experience, and a few other reinforcements per my own experience (not necessarily with this airplane, but with the Y/A line in general). I think the customer will be very happy with this bird for a long time.

On a side note, I've never been a big fan of composite wings (frankly, I'm afraid of them) and prefer a sheeted foam core wing any day. These wings seem to be EXTREMELY well designed based upon the volumes of pics on RCU of the insides of composite wings (mostly post-mortem). The glue joints in there are legit, and the layout seems very smart.

From a practical standpoint, my biggest gripe is the way the stabs install at the field. You have to reach up inside there and slide a spacer over the shaft as it comes into the fuse, then slip the pivot arm over the shaft; and that's a PITA. The alternative would have been to design a stab bearing unit that incorporated an integral spacer and arm. I can't really see why we didn't do that, but whatever...
Old 04-01-2011, 10:16 AM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Shaun,

Not to beat a dead horse, but there is another thread on here that shows hoe a few of us (Dan in particular I think) have added extended plywood bracing down onto the main gear top door, to give the door some rigidity.

I will try to find the title of the thread, it was something like "Yellow CG F22" I'll try to search for it later and add it here for those that might be interested.

Now I have to decide if I want to change mine to VT!

Dave
Old 04-01-2011, 05:16 PM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

I wanna know when your shipping it to Tulsa so I can see it!

Jeff
Old 04-01-2011, 05:53 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

aside from doing all the below mentioned items, you could also cut the rudder surface area in half or 1/4 etc. BVM does this on his Rafale to mitigate early flutter issues. simply glue the unused portion to the vertical fin. non-scale but functional.

great flight by the way. good looking airplane.
cheers

ORIGINAL: JET FX

I noticed the rudder waving at me also in that vid ...... Its really the one obvious potential weak link I and others have also found.

FYI ~ Barry the rudder on the FB F-22 does need seriously strong servos and linkages and 'if' flutter does occur it is generally quite severe and can potentially cause total fin failure. Solution is HD Digi metal gear servos, quality metal HD linkage and HD composite or metal control horns. I had dual rudder failure and separation on my one occur at moderate speed using HD nylon horns and a 32 lb. thrust turbine. Got it down ok but a tad worrying at the time..... My one flies excellent now and on tailerons alone for primary flight controls. Rudders and vert fins (non removable) now permanently fixed in place with Hysol. I know AMA require rudders so above solution would my recommendation, but still would glue fins permanently just incase of rudder failure that could save you..... still keep an eye on fin strength integredidy regardless thats a lot of thrust for this bird Ive seen em fly great with as little as 19-20 lb thrust.

Cheers- Marty
Old 04-01-2011, 10:04 PM
kanji

I think this is the thread Dave was referring to:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70..._9/key_/tm.htm
Old 04-02-2011, 06:54 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: yeahbaby

aside from doing all the below mentioned items, you could also cut the rudder surface area in half or 1/4 etc. BVM does this on his Rafale to mitigate early flutter issues. simply glue the unused portion to the vertical fin. non-scale but functional.

great flight by the way. good looking airplane.
cheers

ORIGINAL: JET FX

Cheers- Marty
Thanks guys, took a closer look at the linkage, found no play what so ever, as I am using horizon titanium rods and good clevis, but I did find some moderate gear slop on the 3421s, as well as servo rocking on mount, from the 1/16" gap between the side of servo and servo cover, so did two things:

1) moved clevis on the servo side one notch closer to the center
2) put a piece double sided foam tape between the servo and its cover to fill up that gap

Result, rudders are even tighter with mostly only gear slop of servo, hope this works!

Barry
Old 04-02-2011, 07:15 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for the data:

My rudders are still good, they have 8611a servos, swb arms,Sullivan Clevis and prolinks.
I also put 7 robart hinges (bigger than the ones that came in kit).
I think the weak point in my system is the control horn (stock).
Dave
Old 04-16-2011, 09:45 AM
tony5548

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

F-22A Smoke test

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcHZHV_SkE8[/youtube]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96575.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1594644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33738.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1594645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79522.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1594646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21928.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1594647  
Old 04-16-2011, 05:52 PM
jack744
My Feedback: (60)

Hi all I am the guy that Shaun built the f22 for.Want to give a report on the jet, receiver the jet in it's original box with a wooden crate built around it.it was received in perfect shape.the quality of work is perfect.he built it to my specs.got to fly it myself today.my background is with flying a bvm king cat with a king tech k170.,a sky master f4 with a Titan.a sky master f18 with a kingteck k170. Carf ultra lightning with a king tech k 170.the f22 has a king tech k170 and it flys it well takes off on the 400' runway using about 250 ' of it . I had a club member fly it first (he's our chuck Yeager) after he checked it out for 2 flights another club member that is one of the top rc pilots in the country stoped by and he had a go with it and also flew it with the vectored thrust and he thought it was a great jet too.so by the time I got to fly it I new that not only Shaun had flown it and our " chuck Yeager" and one of the top rc pilots in the country had it dialed in.all I can say is if I didn't know it was a f 22 it flies like my bvm kingcat.rock solid in the turns ,great vertical,rolls great,lands slow,and most of all it looks scale and is just plane fun to fly!
Old 04-16-2011, 06:04 PM
ddlstang

I think Ron is going to have a permanent smile for a few days. That is a great flying plane.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 04-17-2011, 03:39 AM
Kevin East
My Feedback: (1)

If anyone is going to be in the Shreveport area May 8th and 9th, he F-22( full scale) will be flying a demo at the Barksdale airshow.
Kevin
Old 04-19-2011, 10:33 AM
tony5548

Dear Shaun:
I am intrested in your Y/A F-22 vector nozzle.If I can buy this vector nozzle kit from you? How much is this kit?(I want to purchase 3 sets of this nozzles).Besides,dose this nozzle need special exhausted pipes to accompany it? Thanks for your answer.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Yes, Tony, the VT nozzles are available. They are $350, and they do require a shortened pipe. Those are also $350.

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:10 AM
tony5548

Thank you very much, I want to order.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98615.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	1596701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40746.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	1596702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68236.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	1596703  
Old 06-19-2011, 07:50 PM
ddlstang

Are there any other F-22's gonna be at Kentucky jets ?
Old 09-16-2011, 01:10 AM
CPS

Hi Shaun:
I am impressive to your Vector nozzle flight,it is amazing!!According to the picture of your vector nozzle,it seem to a little "weak".
Can it stand the strong 17 kg thrust?Are this vector nozzle available?How can I order it from you?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

You can order via email, or however you like. Email me your shipping address for a start so I can get you a postage quote. As for them being 'weak', I don't know what you're looking at that's giving you that impression, but the only flight-experience I have with them is with an engine rated at roughly 17kg of thrust, and they are rock-solid.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:33 PM
CPS

Hi Shaun:
I have sent my aderess to you via e-mai.Have you received it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.