Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine questions from 1st time buyer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine questions from 1st time buyer

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:04 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Turbine questions from 1st time buyer

Hey gang, I'm going to be building a yellow aircraft f-16 and looking for the best turbine with acceleration and good warranty.
Would like something can be serviced in the USA and that people don't have lots of problems. Just looking for your two cents on turbines, price is a factor with my military budget. Thanks
Old 03-13-2011, 06:08 PM
fw190pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turbine questions from 1st time buyer

Kingtech K-80 gas or kero start best value for your money.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:13 PM
shepp

The Yellow Aircraft I am familiar with is a rather small Jet in the neighborhood of 12-14 lbs. If this is the one you are building and want something serviced in the USA , with a good record then I think you are describing either a JetCat p-60 or Jet Central Bee. I am sure there are others ,but I am not familiar with them that meet your criteria. Check out Todd at Dreamworks RC. He carries both brands as well as others.
Just my 2 cents worth

Shepp
Old 03-13-2011, 06:30 PM
seflyer
My Feedback: (12)

Jetcat, P-60, nuff said.

Kevin
Old 03-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

P-60 or P-70 both serviced in USA
Also, wren 54ss would be very nice and also seviced in the US.
Jet Central actually goes to Mexico for service.
I flew a Yellow F-16 as my very first jet in 1995. Used a Dynamax/ os 91. Mine was the C version and flew well with that power. If you have the more scale version, you will want more power. For me, I'd go with the P-70.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:22 PM
FenderBean

Yeahs its going to be the C version from YA I adding center tank, wing drop tanks, harm missile and tip side winders. plus im looking to add larger fuel tanks, and doing some extra stuff like adding a total real cockpit, gear bays.
going to do electric retracts as well
im guessing it will prob be around 14 pounds, could be lighter just depends on how well I can paint it.

I looked at the Kingtech and they have a GREAT price but not sure if I would have to send it over seas for 25hr checks or if they have a US location
if they have a US location I would consider it. And im really just tired of buying non american made products. Things are bad enough with small business in our country.
but im still looking at them because of price.

Anyone know another F-16 that might be bigger than the yellow aircraft that is still under 1000.0?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:24 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn around time on most Jet Central turbines is 3 weeks or less. They are not only serviced in Mexico but the are manufactured in Mexico, Jet cats are manufactured in Germany. The Tams F-16 is a small airframe and while I would prefer a Superbee, the P-60 might be a better fit because it is smaller.

Ask Tam what he would recommend,
Old 03-13-2011, 07:31 PM
FenderBean

looks like im not going to get away with a US only thing []
Guess I should just go with which ever is most reliable and has best tech support/service

what do they do when u send it in for service? I fly Apache longbows and we have turbine guys here, I wonder if they could do the same thing. im guessing they just bore scope the engine and check bearings? hmmmm
Old 03-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Use the search button to get information about service levels among the brands. I'm partial to jet-central ( I own 3) due to the reliability and good service. For service you ship to Florida and they take care of it. Also the chief technician and the owner of the company routinely go to major jets meets to meet with customers. Great people. Lifetime warranty and good service if needed.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:06 PM
FenderBean

search function on this site sucks, I always use them when I can
Old 03-13-2011, 08:08 PM
FenderBean

I really want a life time warranty makes selling something later much easier when they now it has a warranty
Old 03-14-2011, 03:21 PM
jetrichie

Buy a Jetcat and you probably wont need to get it serviced !
Old 03-14-2011, 03:30 PM
FenderBean

well when i mean service i mean 25 hour checks stuff like that
Old 03-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Kometfreak

A RTI 2800 won't fit in your airframe, but Carlos lives around the corner from me and the service is excellent. I wish he would make a 12-17# and a 40# engine.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:52 PM
FILE IFR

Get yourself a JetCat.... Made in Germany

I don't take advice from odd folks, but there is one tidbit of advice that you and I can bank on.....

In the words of that ShamWow clown on TV..."It's made in Germany, everyone knows the Germans make good stuff".

BTW, A 'lifetime warranty' engine isn't exactly what you'd think it may be. Check it out before you commit.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:12 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Hi

My BVM size is pretty close to the yellow C version I also have. The BVM I am working on is coming in at 15-15.75lbs. It has a dynemax/scopion and over 3lbs of lipos. I also have LE flaps with 2 extra servos. Lot s of servos. Brakes and all.

I took my dynemax out and placed my Wren 54MKII turbine in it by itself. No auto start, to see what weight I would come in at, it was at 15lbs no pump, no batts, no fuel.

I would predict your model with all the options will come in the 17-18lbs range depending on the fuel amount.

I would check fuel consumption on the turbine you consider. 50oz of fuel weighs around 2.5lbs I believe.

I would consider a larger F-16 for all the options you have listed.

Steve

Steve
Old 03-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Kingtech K-80 is the way to go. IF you would need service it will be very quick.
Contact Barry at
WWW.Kingtechusa.com

Joe Lewis
Kingtech
K-80 Owner
Old 03-15-2011, 04:19 PM
FenderBean

Does he have a account on here?
Old 03-15-2011, 05:00 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Get the new jet central Super Bee II with kero start, plus it puts out 15.5 lbs. The lifetime warranty is great. Some guys don't like it, and go with Jet Cat which is also a very good brand. I went with Jet Central, and the only money I am out is the 25 hour service fee. Nothing else. I had to replace a starter on one of my turbines, called Eric up in Fl. The next day it was sitting on my door step.

I had an older tams f-16 (cermark one before they split) and it was 16 lbs ready to fly. I had my older bee in it and it flew it just fine. With the additional thrust it now puts out, it would be even better.

However, and let me just say this for future consideration, you might look at the JC Rabbit. The install weight is prob. about .5 to .75 lbs more. However, you are now left with a turbine that fits many different airframes than the bee does. Just a thought.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:17 PM
FenderBean

thanks for your advice I will check into them
Old 03-15-2011, 06:36 PM
gtoro26
My Feedback: (2)

absolutely the jet central bee 2 kero start perfect match
and eric in florida will take care of all
and it is lifetime warranty
the best value and will out perform p 70 accelaration any day of the week
should be 15 pounds
double check with eric clapp jet central
Old 03-15-2011, 07:04 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Jet Central Super Bee II Kero Start
Eric's service and support is second to none[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-15-2011, 07:18 PM
jetflyr

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

looks like im not going to get away with a US only thing []
Guess I should just go with which ever is most reliable and has best tech support/service

Welll.... Wren engines are assembled and serviced in Decatur, Indiana..........so might need to revisit your first sentence. The '75 puts out more than enough thrust, weight is light and fuel consumption is good as well....... Service has been exceedingly fast.

Jet Central has headquarters in Florida, service is in Mexico city. Service has been good and usually fast. The Super Bee II would work perfectly in your Viper.

Can't go wrong with either. Both are light and powerful.

Good Luck!
Greg
Old 03-15-2011, 07:20 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: FenderBean
Anyone know another F-16 that might be bigger than the yellow aircraft that is still under 1000.0?
If you're looking for a good F-16 deal check this out http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items...68ADVHERE.html

Fly Eagle had some issues when they first came out and some people still bad mouth them. Use the search function to check out owner experiences on the FEJ F-16 before making a decision. I'm quite happy with mine. The only criticism I have is the plane is a little heavy and the air system components aren't the greatest. Mine's about 21 lbs. dry, but one can get up to 23 lbs. or so with a heavy engine and components. My nose retract cylinder and door cylinders leaked. They sent me replacements. The new retract cylinder was OK, but I ended up buying Airpower door cylinders.

You should go with at least 20# of thrust. I wasn't happy with a Wren SS (18#) in mine since I like to go fast and have plenty of vertical). I replaced it with a Merlin 90 (21.5#) and am quite happy with the performance. I would recommend going with one of the newer light weight 90N or 100N engines like a Wren 100, Jet Central Rabbit, Merlin 100, or wait for the Jetcat P-100 to come out late this year.

Joe
Old 03-15-2011, 08:52 PM
FenderBean

wow that is super deal I HATE the color but I guess I could strip it, its kinda confusing what exactly comes with the jet?
How does it compare to the Yellow Aircraft F-16?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.