Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Avonds F-14 WEIGHT???

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Avonds F-14 WEIGHT???

Old 04-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avonds F-14 WEIGHT???

I'm working all an Avonds F-14 and I am converting to to an EDF so I need to know the approximate weight of one so I can choose my fans. I need at least one fan to "fit" it into the build. In particular I'm looking at Schebeler which puts out a lot of thrust and a RC Lander unit that cost a whole lot less but puts out a lot less thrust. Any help here is appreciated.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:41 AM
GrayUK

Default RE: Avonds F-14 WEIGHT???

F 14?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Tomcat_104

ORIGINAL: GrayUK

F 14?
America's air superiority fighter in the late 70's thru early 90's. A variable geometry wing Navy fighter that was featured in the movie "Top Gun".

David

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39455.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1589658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25249.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1589659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82515.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1589660  
Old 04-05-2011, 12:33 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

David,
For a stripped down Tomcat that is all built up (no flaps,slats/spoilers) I would guesstimate that 30lbs would be a close number.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Tomcat_104

Thomas,

That's what I was thinking 29 - 34 lbs. How's your project on the bigger Cat coming? We talked a good while and I'm stilling wanting one your birds when it's through. Last January I underwent another operation and it too didn't go so well so I'm just getting back to building, with one good hand mind you. I still try to follow your progress when I can hold my head up and that's getting to be more often.

I'm sure I'll be talking to you again soon.

David
Old 04-05-2011, 05:50 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

David,
That is a pretty good weight range. The big factor, is the batteries and how much attention you pay to getting the lightest balsa possible. Allot of the ply bulkheads could be replaced with 1/16" balsa laminated with a layer of 1-2oz glass cloth on both sides. Same strength, less weight.
Sorry to hear the surgery didn't go well, but its good to hear you are re-cooping well. As far as my big kitty project. I've take a step back from it for the past year or so, to focus on some other projects. I'm hoping to get the last of my big projects and a few customer projects done by the end of may, so i can get back to the Tomcat, and hopefully have the majority of the molds completed by the end of the year.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 PM
GrayUK

ORIGINAL: Tomcat_104

ORIGINAL: GrayUK

F 14?
America's air superiority fighter in the late 70's thru early 90's. A variable geometry wing Navy fighter that was featured in the movie ''Top Gun''.

David

Yes David i know what an F14 is!
Just didn't know that Avonds made one?
Thought he did the F15 and the F104 my mistake

Paul
Old 04-06-2011, 03:23 AM
MerlinII

Would love to see some pics of your F-14.
I saw one static a couple of years ago at a scale meeting, a beauty but it didn't fly, no engines/fans installed at that time and I lost track of the builder, never heard anything about it afterwards. Actually the guy was building a second as well modified for turbines, must have taken some determination.

Just for your information this text was taken from the www.avonds.com website, quote:

"F-14 Tomcat plans

Many years ago, André De Vleeschouwer designed a 1/10 scale twin Ducted Fan version of the F-14 Tomcat. I assisted him with some advice in order to make the model functional and I was the pilot for the flights with his first and second prototypes. In total, only a dozen or two flights were made. Following these flights, we sold a few sets of the plans to keen modellers. The F-14 model is truly for people who love building: it is a challenge to complete successfully and only a handful of modellers have succeeded in this.

After selling a a few of these plans sets, we decided to sell the rights to this plan to Hobby Barn in the USA. They are now the sole source for these plans, and they also carry a laser cut short kit and a clear canopy for this model. Please contact Hobby Barn if you want to purchase those plans and parts and for any after sales service.

To set the record straight, these plans are not my design! I did not draw a single line, I only assisted the designer in a few areas, that's it.

Please bear in mind that we don't have the time to answer any questions regarding this F-14 model. Please direct all your F-14 questions to Hobby Barn, thank you."

MerlinII

Old 04-06-2011, 05:41 AM
Tomcat_104

Oops my mistake. He only drew the plans for a F-14, he never made one. I talked to him a good while back (before turbines) and he said it was a waste - thrust issue that he felt DF's weren't there yet. OK maybe it was a long time ago.

David