Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The New F86D Dog Sabre

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The New F86D Dog Sabre

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 09:25 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Did you find a used one? They've been done for a long time as far as I know. The RAM1000 will be really big in there as it was designed around a k80 sized can as I understand the 1000 is way too much thrust as well but you can dial it back. I personally wouldnt use a RAM in anything though. They were great when it was one of them only options and maybe i'm bitter but I had 3 750's blow up back to back
Old 02-12-2019, 09:39 AM
jetjockey
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F86 Saber Dog

Well Willie, as you probably know, the kit is out of production, however, I did build one a few years back and equipped it with a Jetcat P70. It was a pretty tight fit and I had to cut a hatch in the lower fuselage to be able to fit the turbine and pipe it. I flew great, and was a real crowd pleaser. I'm not sure if a RAM 1000 would fit or not, but I can give you the space between the engine mounting rails and you can measure the engine diameter to see (4" rail to rail, but I had to relieve it about 1/2" to fit the P70). As for the cost, unless you already have the kit, you'll have to probably pay whatever the seller wants as there are very few of them out there any more, but it is an interesting model because it is pretty rare. The retracts will probably run a couple of hundred dollars plus, the pipe will run around $150 & up (contact JT hobbies in Dallas for a pipe) the servos will run about $50 - 100 each depending on the quality, and the tank was included in the kit. It is a conformal tank, and the model needs it for max fuel capacity. I doubt a standard rectangular tank would give you adequate fuel for the 1000. Well, good luck with your project. Mine was fun to build and fun to fly.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:47 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

If its only 4" between the rails a 1000 would require a bunch of grinding just for the turbine never mind the mount. The 1000 is a 4.25" can diameter.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:55 AM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Les, tell me about your finish. It's just simply gorgeous. I have one of these flying with a Kingtech K80. The can diameter is 3.750". Mine flies well, but the gear mounts are fragile. I've had to repair and glass the wings a few times. Yours really pops, mine looks like a winter beater in comparison.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:11 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering about the finish also. Mine doesn't compare. I actually had my finger/thumb go through the glass fuse in two places where the skin was thin just in normal handling. I checked and didn't find any other weak spots so just poor glass lay up those two spots.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:11 PM
jetjockey
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah guys, I also had my finger go through the balsa on the wing and tail, so I stripped off the covering, glassed all wood surfaces with 3/4 oz cloth, sanded it, primed it, then used self adhesive Chrome Coverite for a finish. I'm not sure you can still get it, as I think Coverite may have discontinued it, but you might check with them and see. It goes on really easy, and really sticks to the airframe well. This particular model went in with a gyro malflunction, but I have another kit that I intend to build one of these days. I really liked the model and the way if flew.

Good Luck,

Les
Old 02-15-2019, 05:49 PM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jetjockey
Yeah guys, I also had my finger go through the balsa on the wing and tail, so I stripped off the covering, glassed all wood surfaces with 3/4 oz cloth, sanded it, primed it, then used self adhesive Chrome Coverite for a finish. I'm not sure you can still get it, as I think Coverite may have discontinued it, but you might check with them and see. It goes on really easy, and really sticks to the airframe well. This particular model went in with a gyro malflunction, but I have another kit that I intend to build one of these days. I really liked the model and the way if flew.

Good Luck,

Les
All the good stuff goes away. Like Solartex.