Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ultra Bandit, top dog or just top$

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Moerig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ultra Bandit, top dog or just top$

Hi,
Certainly a beast of a machine. Never having seen one first hand could those with first hand experience confirm whether this kit is true value for money in the sense that there are no major engineering or headaches once you open the box? The BVM site has no pics I could find of the airframe components as supplied?
Yes I understand the risks 100% but is it a true high speed capable airframe?
Its just to good looking...
MM
Old 04-14-2011, 08:09 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Bandit, top dog or just top$

Take a Super Composite Bandit, double it in size = Ultra Bandit

Yes......it can perform. A local friend had one and he flew it just like a Super Bandit......1" low passes, 199.99 mph turns.......'nough said.
The difference is the UB seems so much more gentle on landings.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:43 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Won't be a popular reply I'm sure but I bought one and sold it straight on. I really expected more than I got for the money compared to some of the high end German kits I've had.

We do have to suffer the tax, import & shipping etc in the uk but I'd go as far as to say the Ultra Lighning quality is just as good for 1/4 the money. The UB is better looking though :-)

Mark
Old 04-14-2011, 08:52 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

As far as value for the money, the UB is in a unique (and limited) market range. []

But can it perfrom? I've seen it perform. [8D]

If i had the coxones to slide my Master Card, I would get one. But then again, there's my signature below.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:09 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

To see how much the Ultra can buggie and do all sorts of incredible acrobatics then just youtube Ultra bandit and you can see Dave Shui and others puttin' on the hurt to that poor airplane.

Now I have had all sorts of bandits, if you want a super quick, twitchy bugger then NOTHING beats a super bandit. If you want UBER strength, get the composite Super bandit with the wing doubler kit from BVM.

It will outperform your thumbs and your eyes in a few heartbeats.

If you want a big bad arse, well thought out jet, then the Ultra is for you. And don't kid yourself, ANY BVM jet is going to be alot of work to build. But, BVM is all I have right now anyways... For whatever that's worth!

Raf

Ultra

BARF
Old 04-14-2011, 09:19 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I've built a number of ARF's including JL, FB, BVM, and CARF. Of them, only the CARF Flash and the numerous KingCats I built for people could be built box-stock and still work. Of the KC and Flash, only the KC had *every step* detailed in the instructions, *all* of the parts needed, and the way outlined in the manual to do something was, in fact, *the best way to do it*.

I've never built an UB, but I'm sure that it is the same as the KC in that regard and being built in FL, I'm sure that the materials, construction, and painting are better than the KC. Whether its worth the $'s though is a very personal decision that only an individual considering buying one can answer.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:16 AM
kirkj
My Feedback: (61)

Yes, the UB is worth every penny. it is a fantastic plane... that I don't even push to 20% of its potental.
the build was great, the quality is second to none. it turns heads, flys perfect, lands perfect.

Kirk
Old 04-14-2011, 10:58 AM
jason

ORIGINAL: Moerig

Just top$ IMHO

Jason
Old 04-14-2011, 11:01 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: ravill

Now I have had all sorts of bandits, if you want a super quick, twitchy bugger then NOTHING beats a super bandit. If you want UBER strength, get the composite Super bandit with the wing doubler kit from BVM.
hey Raf, what is the wing doubler kit? Is it on the site?

Old 04-14-2011, 11:43 AM
ravill

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

ORIGINAL: ravill

hey Raf, what is the wing doubler kit? Is it on the site?

Hey Matt! Long time no see!

I got a nifty little packet that was nicely packaged by BVM when I got my first Super Balsa Bandit from Ehab. It was basically an extra carbon fiber set of the large tabs that bolt on to the former in the fuse. I'm sure Patty or one of the builders at BVM know what that kit is.

Raf
Old 04-14-2011, 11:54 AM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would love to hear from UB owners as this is a question I have been asking myself for a long while. The UB has always been a dream jet of mine, and I knew sometime in the future, I told myself I would eventually get one, but wrestling with the thought " is it worth it"???
Old 04-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Duncan

post 8 is from a UB owner.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:34 PM
KFX450

I see....[&o]..My dream might be getting ripped from me.....
Old 04-14-2011, 12:41 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: KFX450

I would love to hear from UB owners as this is a question I have been asking myself for a long while. The UB has always been a dream jet of mine, and I knew sometime in the future, I told myself I would eventually get one, but wrestling with the thought '' is it worth it''???
KFX,

It's pretty much like Bob said in post #6....it's a personal decision and not everybody puts the same value on quality. If you appreciate good engineering, fit, symmetry, completeness, first class hardware, tanks that don't leak, landing gear that work, good instructions, readily available replacement parts, and confidence in construction (particularly what you can't see), then you will probably think it's worth it.

I went through the same thought process as you and finally pulled the trigger last year. I have not been dissapointed in any way and I'm glad it did it!

Craig

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40269.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1593954  
Old 04-14-2011, 01:01 PM
KFX450

Thanks Craig,

Mr.Monaghan told me you were finishing one, and we have had a lot of talks on the UB. Not ready for one yet, but everything you have listed are the reasons this became one of my favorite jets. Kind of like my lamborghini..But john is finishing a bobcat for me and as far as service and parts it has been second to none, right down to ordering the screws that hold the booms on, they shipped them that same day..so for some, your right, you cant put a price on peace of mind..and in the end, thats worth it to me..
Old 04-14-2011, 01:12 PM
jason

I would love to hear from UB owners as this is a question I have been asking myself for a long while. The UB has always been a dream jet of mine, and I knew sometime in the future, I told myself I would eventually get one, but wrestling with the thought '' is it worth it''???
If you want and brilliantly designed and built jet
&
you want a jet that works and keeps working
&
you want a seriously good flying jet
&
you are getting on in years and the eye sight is not what it was

Then buy an Ultra Bandit because they are big and easy to see (not that you really want to be looking at that ugly twin cockpit) and never look like they are flying any faster than the Boomerang.

If however your eyesight is good and you have more sense than money buy yourself Super Bandit. It's still absolutely the best sports jet ever made.

Jason
Old 04-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Couch Potato

I've seen 3 fly in the UK and they looked slow, even when powered with AMT Olympus, P-160 or P-200.

The Elephant in the room you don't want to talk about because of the buck$ and reputation and my mate Jason has one

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55330.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1593966  
Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 PM
CraigG

ORIGINAL: jason

If however your eyesight is good and you have more sense than money buy yourself Super Bandit. It's still absolutely the best sports jet ever made.

Jason
LOL Jason but true! Unfortunately my eyesight is not as good as it once was and one of the reasons I sold my Bandit and bought a UB.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Johnny9390
My Feedback: (34)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats way too much money for a toy. Dont get me wrong I would love to have one. How do they come up with the price tag on these things. I know there is R&D involved. But just like there was on the bandits, electras or any of their arfs aswell. Is there twice as much material involved to make one that the price pretty much DOUBLES from a bandit to make one of these? I dont want to start an argument here. It just boggles my mind sometimes the prices of these things. I have no doubt its a fantastic flying airplane. But there are other fantastic flying airplanes out there for MUCH less money. At the end of the day its still a toy. A very expensive one..

The difference between the men and the boy is the price of their toys!
Old 04-14-2011, 02:31 PM
ravill

Hmm, I'm an ultra owner and I wanted one for years also. I wanted a big, BVM quality jet.

Hold the hammer down on a p200 powered ultra for 3 laps and lets see if you don't think its moving fast.

Ofcourse, to get 50 plus pounds up and moving like a 30 pound bandit is very different. The ultra is a BIG FRIKKEN airplane.
I'm 6'3" and you can see how big this thing is.

My ultra is no where near as twitchy as any of my bandits were and are. My BARF has a Titan SE and it is a SCALPEL in the the sky. If your hands are shaking, your super bandit is shaking too.

I think big airplanes are a pain in the butt right now, so I don't think I want another big airplane, but I love my Ultra and I would go back and do it again, just for the experience.

If you can afford it, do it. You WON'T be disappointed.

Raf
Old 04-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: CraigG

KFX,

It's pretty much like Bob said in post #6....it's a personal decision and not everybody puts the same value on quality. If you appreciate good engineering, fit, symmetry, completeness, first class hardware, tanks that don't leak, landing gear that work, good instructions, readily available replacement parts, and confidence in construction (particularly what you can't see), then you will probably think it's worth it.

I went through the same thought process as you and finally pulled the trigger last year. I have not been dissapointed in any way and I'm glad it did it!

Craig

Craig,

That's just about the best BVM scheme I've seen on a UB. Really like how that has come out.

It's a real pleasure working with a plane where you don't need to guess where things go or re engineer solutions. Things fit and the plane goes together without too much head scratching.

I'm trying to work out a custom scheme for my white one which is soon to be painted. Think I'm getting stage fright about finding the right combination to really do this plane justice!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:40 PM
mr_matt

I wish it was the exact outline of the bandit just bigger. I think I would have bought one then

And my eyes are going too. terrible.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:15 PM
CraigG

ORIGINAL: Andrew Bird

I'm trying to work out a custom scheme for my white one which is soon to be painted. Think I'm getting stage fright about finding the right combination to really do this plane justice!
Andrew,

I envy you guys that have the skill to do a custom sport paint scheme. Fortunately for me, BV was willing to make some minor changes to one of their "stock" schemes and get it just the way I wanted. I'm still amazed at the finish and quality of this "ARF" paint job and how they cleverly worked the seams and color lines into the design. You have to REALLY look close to see it's not a full custom finish job.

The only problem is my fear of blemishing the finish during the build. Luckily I'm just about done and haven't managed to screw it up yet.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:21 PM
CraigG

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

I wish it was the exact outline of the bandit just bigger. I think I would have bought one then

And my eyes are going too. terrible.
Matt,

I agree with you that the UB would have looked better as a sleeker "single seater". I finally decided that because of the size and all the other positives mentioned in this thread it was still worth it. I know it's the same outline but to me it looks a little better with a single cockpit and that's how I'm doing mine.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:30 PM
mr_matt

Hi Craig,

Yes I really like your scheme. I saw an early model a few years ago when we shared a booth at the AUVSI show (UAVs) with BVM and he brought one.

It really is aerospace grade, in fact I think BV does a lot of UAV work because his internal design, materials and processes are aerospace grade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.