Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet crash at the Nall ?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet crash at the Nall ?

Old 05-13-2011, 01:29 PM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet crash at the Nall ?

Anybody know what happened to shulman's UL at the Nall , lockout ?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2011, 01:54 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Jet crash at the Nall ?

Yep...lock out.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:05 PM
kelly vallee

What was he using? Any picture?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:06 PM
bevar

Futaba.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Friggin great! Just received my Ripmax module to convert my 10X to the Futaba Fasst while getting rid of the Spektrum conversion. I swear, I believe this is the reason why Maj. Woody jumped ship. I believe he decided the risk was just not worth it after having several back to back crashes due to radio failure. I still feel the Fasst is the better option though.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We fly our airplanes on a rather tenuous, low-powered link as it is.. 750 milli-watt just isn't much, and it's bound to happen now and again regardless of what equipment people are using. Sucks for David though.. that's 2 big crashes for him at Joe Nall now. Clearly with as many pilots as Joe Nall has registered, it would have to be just about the single worst Rf environment I can think of...

I find it really strange that some people have this mentality that since moving to 2.4GHz that radio problems should NEVER happen. Did people think the same when R/C shifted from 27MHz to 72MHz?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:46 PM
bevar

Dom was flying Fasst when he had the string of crashes...correct?

I think both Specktrum and Fasst are good systems, but but people still have issues with both. Why? Who knows...

Beave
Old 05-13-2011, 02:47 PM
bevar

Yep...exactly.

Beave

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

We fly our airplanes on a rather tenuous, low-powered link as it is.. 750 milli-watt just isn't much, and it's bound to happen now and again regardless of what equipment people are using. Sucks for David though.. that's 2 big crashes for him at Joe Nall now. Clearly with as many pilots as Joe Nall has registered, it would have to be just about the single worst Rf environment I can think of...

I find it really strange that some people have this mentality that since moving to 2.4GHz that radio problems should NEVER happen. Did people think the same when R/C shifted from 27MHz to 72MHz?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:53 PM
747junky

Well I'm very sorry to hear that this occurred. I had a lock out on my UB using JR and then I switched to Futaba and lost my Euro. Now I switched back to JR and am using Weatronics 2.4 and no problems. Gerhard has helped out very much and never had a problem. No matter how many people are flying it is a rock sold system. Shui should no he had to use Weatronics at The world jet masters one year for this same problem
Old 05-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Countryboy

ORIGINAL: bevar

I think both Specktrum and Fasst are good systems, but but people still have issues with both. Why? Who knows...

Beave
Pretty sure that is correct.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:15 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you know it wasn't a failure with the powersystem, batteries, ect. It was a brand new plane that was first flown last weekend.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:18 PM
BaldEagel

So many people have problems with whatever they use, the guys that had problems on 35mghz on our site are the same guys that now have problems with 2.4ghz seems mighty strange?????

Mike
Old 05-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Countryboy

ORIGINAL: quist

How do you know it wasn't a failure with the powersystem, batteries, ect. It was a brand new plane that was first flown last weekend.
That's just it... I don't! I will stick with my decision of switching to Fasst and hope for the best.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Shui
My Feedback: (2)

Hey guys,

Yep, #2 now for me at the Nall. Here is what happened, I installed a new custom mirrored cockpit (receivers & powerbox royal underneath in stock location). I did range checks and flew with no issues. I flew late Wednesday and did a long slow roll, finished the roll and pulled up but the last input received was my aileron to stop the roll. It luckily went into an opening and scattered into the woods, no fire, unfortunately a total loss. Basically I was 2000' away (guess) looking up the tailpipe, through the motor, full fuel tanks and to top it off the mirror plexiglass cockpit floor over the RX's. I checked one of my 4,000mah lipo's that was still together and it read 8.05v under a load so battery wasn't an issue.

I saw one Spektrum lightning (classic) lockout and go in Thursday and this morning a Skymaster T-45/Hawk go into the woods and fireball (assuming it was DSMX cause of the pilot/owner but not sure).

There were many more lockouts and losses with prop planes that were quite scary.

My Tuono, Turbinator & Ultra Flash flew awesome and I didn't let my crash spoil my trip.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:38 PM
ddlstang

did it go into a failsafe and engine shut down? Do you have any pics of the install just for grins.

Sorry to hear about that.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:56 PM
bevar

Damn Dave...that sucks. Sorry that it banged in so hard...but glad no one got hurt and that it did not fireball.

Beave

Old 05-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Shui

Hey Dale, I only have pics of the plane at the field and of the cockpit, but I'm not able to post now since I'm riding home from the event.

Beave, thanks, my heart was in my throat until I reached the site where it hit and saw no one was near when it went in. I think I'll fly prop planes or venture to the edf stuff for my next Nall experience lol.

Yea it failsafed and turbine was at idle for 2 sec (guessing cause I couldn't quite hear or see it).
Old 05-13-2011, 04:05 PM
rolsen12

I lost 4 jet with Futaba before I found that the transmitter would turn itself off at variou times.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:07 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

ORIGINAL: Countryboy

ORIGINAL: bevar

Beave
Pretty sure that is correct.
Yes, Futaba 12FG...just like what I use (after switching from a x9303) [X(]
Old 05-13-2011, 04:17 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (72)

ORIGINAL: Shui

I saw one Spektrum lightning (classic) lockout and go in Thursday and this morning a Skymaster T-45/Hawk go into the woods and fireball (assuming it was DSMX cause of the pilot/owner but not sure).

There were many more lockouts and losses with prop planes that were quite scary.

My Tuono, Turbinator & Ultra Flash flew awesome and I didn't let my crash spoil my trip.

all these lockouts at the same event and on 2.4 ??? that's odd [] .. is there anything in the area that could be causing noise on 2.4 ??

~V~
Old 05-13-2011, 04:24 PM
bevar

Dave,

I hear ya. I remember after Wednesday last year I only flew during the noontime demo time or stuck to my Park Zone micros and Eflite foamies...LOL

I don't care what you are flying (unless control like of course!) that what you have over 100 transmitters on at a time...the frequencies are going to get so compressed that no matter what you are using...it ain't gonna work.

Beave

ORIGINAL: Shui

Hey Dale, I only have pics of the plane at the field and of the cockpit, but I'm not able to post now since I'm riding home from the event.

Beave, thanks, my heart was in my throat until I reached the site where it hit and saw no one was near when it went in. I think I'll fly prop planes or venture to the edf stuff for my next Nall experience lol.

Yea it failsafed and turbine was at idle for 2 sec (guessing cause I couldn't quite hear or see it).
Old 05-13-2011, 05:16 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Went to SEFF this year and they where making people get transmitter flags even when just using them in the pits because of lockouts with all the systems not just JR or FU. That event is close to 500 pilots. Nall is even bigger I cant imagine how bad it is their. The 2.4 band is only so big.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:37 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, sorry to see that happen. No feeling more helpless that that.
DAMMMM-agreeing with Beave again .Even with the systems today when you have godknowshowmany transmitters on at the same time you ARE going to have lockouts. Dont care if its frequency hopping, bumping, humping or what the very small spectrum that we are on is going to get swampped. Scotty
Old 05-13-2011, 05:43 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

I think it might be time to start Transmitter Impound again.... At these Mega-Events there is just too much. Impound and only let 50 or whatever number that works go out and that might do away with this problem.... 50 or 100 out is a hell of alot more than the 6 or 10 we used to let out before..... Oh well, just a thought..

Danno
Old 05-13-2011, 05:44 PM
HORNET FLYER
My Feedback: (6)

interesting......im still old school using nicads( i Know)......but I do not use power boxes, regulators and such extras( i have a yellow twin, classic flash , kingcat, firebird,electra and kangaroo.....all without fancy extras)

Could power boxes and such be causing issues?

I fly jr dsm2
Thanks
Paul

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.