Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Anyone having issues with Airpower Air line fittings?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Anyone having issues with Airpower Air line fittings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:17 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Anyone having issues with Airpower Air line fittings?

I have been using the AirPower 3 and 4 way Fittings that dreamworks sells for about 3 years now. At first, they were great, every one in the package provided a leak free solution. But about 2 years ago, I started getting one or two per package that would leak around the white "sealant" between the machined block and the air nipple. I've got a fairly large stash of about 30 of these things, and just checked 5 of them at random, and everyone of them has a leak..

Has or is anyone else having issues with these things? Its a little frustrating spending a few hours plumbing an entire air-system for a plane, then only to pressurize the thing and see that it leaks 50+ psi in less than 3 minutes due to the Tee fittings..

Anyone have TRUE "leak-free" solution other than these things?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:30 AM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anyone having issues with Airpower Air line fittings?

Can you 'rejuvinate' the seals or rings with O-ring oil/lube?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:41 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

Nope.. the seal is more of an epoxy.

Normally i would just ignore it, but since its becoming more of an issue and at $13 and $15 per pack, its getting expensive.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these the fittings you are referring to?

I have found most of them to be "leakers" too. I went back to the plastic Robart tees......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31066.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1612797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt32627.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1612798  
Old 05-22-2011, 08:15 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

Are these the fittings you are referring to?

I have found most of them to be ''leakers'' too. I went back to the plastic Robart tees......

Those are the culprits...
Old 05-22-2011, 08:15 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

If they came from Dreamworks, I'm confident that Todd will replace them. If you're the least bit handy you should be able to chip away the epoxy seal with a hobby knife, unscrew the fitting and clean the threads with a wire brush. Then clean the boss and fitting with acetone and reinstall the fitting using hysol or equivelant.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:18 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: Square Nozzle

If they came from Dreamworks, I'm confident that Todd will replace them. If you're the least bit handy you should be able to chip away the epoxy seal with a hobby knife, unscrew the fitting and clean the threads with a wire brush. Then clean the boss and fitting with acetone and reinstall the fitting using hysol or equivelant.
I didn't realize the nipples screwed in... But at the price they are, and them being advertised as "the leak free solution" then shouldn't they be leak free? I haven't bothered Todd with the question of replacing them yet, as i didn't want to send them one or 2 at a time, i was waiting till i had exhausted my supply so i could send all of them back. But at this rate, I may just find another solution.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Square Nozzle

Thomas, my suggestion to talk to Todd was two fold. First, as I said, I'm sure he'll replace them and secondly I'm also sure he will do his best to resolve the problem with the manufacturer, that you and others seem to have. Honestly, I haven't taken one apart (I'll sacrifice one of mine to see what makes them tick) but when I see a brass fitting inserted into an aluminum boss I immediately assume they are either threaded together or press fit. In either case, they should be able to be taken apart and be resealed.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:44 AM
marc s

Thomas, the Mem-Co fittings are silver soldered and excellent quality - on your side of the pond too. T1 and X1 parts are the items I think you are after but a scan through the catalogue would verify.

marcs
Old 05-22-2011, 09:02 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I've been using the plastic T fittings from Robart and/or BVM for years and never had one leak on me yet. Tried those airpower ones at one time and had leaks so I went back to the plastic ones.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Square Nozzle

Thomas, I took one apart and the nipple is threaded into the boss. I just chipped away the seal, which appears to be epoxy, with my exacto knife. Then I grabbed the base of the nipple, avoiding the barb on the nipple (used a pair of needle nose pliers - my fitting has a round base as opposed to a hex) and put a small adjustable wrench on the boss and twisted and the fitting threaded out. Seems like a lot of trouble for just a little fitting but I love to tinker and investigate these sort of things and I get a warm fuzzy when I can fix them.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:16 AM
c_makhija

Festo makes excellent T-fittings in different size. Never had a problem with Robart or BVM fittings either like LGM says, just that the Festo Ts look muck stronger and work great.

Chatty.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:07 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: marc s

Thomas, the Mem-Co fittings are silver soldered and excellent quality - on your side of the pond too. T1 and X1 parts are the items I think you are after but a scan through the catalogue would verify.

marcs
marc,
Great source! I've actually acquired a few of their fittings over the years and have never been able to figure out who made them, till now.. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2011, 11:09 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: Square Nozzle

Thomas, I took one apart and the nipple is threaded into the boss. I just chipped away the seal, which appears to be epoxy, with my exacto knife. Then I grabbed the base of the nipple, avoiding the barb on the nipple (used a pair of needle nose pliers - my fitting has a round base as opposed to a hex) and put a small adjustable wrench on the boss and twisted and the fitting threaded out. Seems like a lot of trouble for just a little fitting but I love to tinker and investigate these sort of things and I get a warm fuzzy when I can fix them.
interesting... i've got some liquid teflon tape type stuff at work, i may try pulling one of the offending leakers apart and putting that stuff on the threads. Oils don't bother the stuff, the only down-side, is it never really hardens, and sticks to everything without coming off...
Old 05-22-2011, 03:42 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

The fittings from clippard are very good. They have reducers, tee fitings, 4 way, just about any barbed fitting. They are all one unit, no where to leak. They also have a very good barb on them, seals and retains the airline very good. In fact, you are not going to pull the airline off without cutting it. There airline is is also very nice, seals everytime, is is very reasonable in price.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:14 PM
C185Pilot
My Feedback: (25)

Yup...my Airpower "T's" leak too. Thought it was just me. Will try some of the others.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:21 PM
marc s

No problem, they also look like the same make BVM use in some of their tank fitting hardware.

marcs
Old 05-23-2011, 12:13 AM
slightly_floored

I run the clippard minimatics gas parts in my armed R/C warship, pressurised to 150 PSI. Never had a failure on a joint where i used the slip-over collars.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:35 AM
rolsen12

Use Clippard fittings they don't leak....
Old 05-23-2011, 05:45 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

I've had problems with those also.

Now I test everyone before I use them.

Bob

Old 05-23-2011, 06:18 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I only use festo T and Y fittings on my jets.....nothing else. I have encountered problems with some of the plastic t fittings leaking due to moulding lines on them. THe festo fittings are really well made and very strong. I am sure the clippard fittings would be good too. Both are commercial pneumatic fittings so you won't get any better than that.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:48 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Thomas,
Just opened two packs and tested each one. None leaked for me. Can you tell me where you are finding the leaks? Is it where the fitting meets the base or is air seeping past the airline installed on the nipple? I personally use these fittings and have not found one to leak yet however; it has been a while since I pulled any off the shelve to use, perhaps we have a bad batch?
Please provide me some details so I can make sure this issue is resolved immediately. Although more expensive, we do have the Festo Tee fittings as well, see [link=http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=100]HERE[/link]
Todd
Old 05-23-2011, 06:52 AM
marc s

If you crack open a Festo barbed fitting, the one with blue plastic centres, you will see they are simply individual brass barbed fitting encapsulated in a plastic shell, when I first opened one up I was expecting a completely integrated fitting with a plastic piece over the top for looks and ease of handling.
Having 4 separate barbs held in place by a small plastic shell leaves me in doubt, silver soldered all metal just has to be more durable.

I know Festo do an all metal range, not sure though what size they go down to.

marcs
Old 05-23-2011, 06:55 AM
invertmast

Todd,
At first, I thought it may of been air leaking past the nipple, but by putting a new tee in place, the leaks stopped.. the air is leaking throught the white sealant stuff at the base of the nipples. Sometimes only one, sometimes all three.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

I test mine with soapy water and you can see very tiny bubbles emitting from underneath the sealant.

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.