Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DSM2 / JR / Spektrum Guru's....

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DSM2 / JR / Spektrum Guru's....

Old 06-06-2011, 05:23 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DSM2 / JR / Spektrum Guru's....

If it was me, I'd go with DSMX. Frankly, if DSMX had been around last October, I wouldn't have switched from the x9303 to the 12FG. For sure I'd have griped, pissed, and moaned about the cost, but somehow I'd have scraped up the dough for a DSMX 12X radio...had there been such a thing.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:26 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

I dont feel this is a dsm2 issue. The pre-flight range check was perfect, and the flight went without a hitch, it was just the oddly high amount of holds with no other fade or packet loss counts noted that caused enough concern and uncertainty that i deemed it to unsafe to fly the plane again. I dont feel dsmx would of solved the problem or had any effect on it, bc i would of been using the same dsm2 rx anyways.

Plus, I've been trying to stick to the ole saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and this airplane with this setup has served me well for 2 season now. I did have to install an extension between the rx and the data logger, and i have a spare logger, so i'll try switching things out to see if i get any changes.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:29 PM
VF84sluggo

True...if staying with a DSM2 rx. My point was going with a DSMX receiver, too. Problem is, soon you're throwing a lot of $$$ to 'solve' what in fact may not be the issue at all.

Just my $.02/worth

ORIGINAL: invertmast
I dont feel dsmx would of solved the problem or had any effect on it, bc i would of been using the same dsm2 rx anyways.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:33 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Oh yes. My point was going with a DSMX receiver, too. Problem is, soon you're throwing a lot of $$$ to 'solve' what in fact may not be the issue at all.

Just my $.02/worth

I dont feel dsmx would of solved the problem or had any effect on it, bc i would of been using the same dsm2 rx anyways.
I agree, DsmX is the up and coming "next best thing" but with the recent recall of DsmX transmitters, i'm glad I didn't do the upgrade over the winter. Throwing $300+ in a new rx and a tx upgrade when the previous system served me well for the past 2 years does nothing to tell me what the problem really was. I do not like throwing parts at things to fix them, i prefer to find the actual reason for the problem and then fix it with the correct parts. by upgrading to DsmX, i could have just masked a more serious problem. Even so, the general consensus seems to indicate that it may be a data logger problem and not an actual rx/tx link issue.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:39 PM
VF84sluggo

I did not know about the DSMX radio recall. That is always the risk in jumping on version 1.0 of anything. Never mind the 'switch to DSMX' suggestion!

Hope you get this sorted out.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:29 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buleletin bulletin bulletin.........DMS2 RECALL......read all about it extra extra. HOLD issue ...a.k.a. "crash"

enough said!
Old 06-06-2011, 10:07 PM
chrigui

one of my problem was the tx module overcharged volt (lipo pack at full charge 12,6v)
Old 06-07-2011, 02:36 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

FYI, it appears one characteristic of DSMX is extemely high frame loss counts (i.e. 999). Apparently fame "losses" are generated every time the system hops. It's not indicative of a problem with DSMX but it renders the data logger useless as a tool to identify signal or antenna problems. JR is supposedly working on a fix and the current advice is "don't worry about it".
Old 06-07-2011, 03:04 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: chrigui

one of my problem was the tx module overcharged volt (lipo pack at full charge 12,6v)
11x doesnt have a module, and i dont use lipos in the tx, i only use the factory supplied nicd battery wth the transmitter.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:06 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: CraigG

FYI, it appears one characteristic of DSMX is extemely high frame loss counts (i.e. 999). Apparently fame ''losses'' are generated every time the system hops. It's not indicative of a problem with DSMX but it renders the data logger useless as a tool to identify signal or antenna problems. JR is supposedly working on a fix and the current advice is ''don't worry about it''.
Interesting. Glad i have not switched yet then.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:13 AM
bidrseed2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only time I ever a saw a stupidly high number of holds was when id plugged the data logger into a non data port on the receiver.

Im sure this isnt your problem, but might be worth checking- some people seem to think any port on any 2.4 ghx spektrum/JR receiver will do.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:14 AM
VF84sluggo

To the OP, sorry for clouding the issue with DSMX talk. It swerved your thread off course and offered no help in sorting out the problem.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:37 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 247 Likes on 199 Posts

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Can the 11X be upgraded to DSMX? I wonder if you would get these same results with a DSMX radio and receiver setup. If DSMX works as advertised it should weed out the potential weakness of DSM2 ''pick-and-stick.''
The answer is yes. If you bought it after November 1st (maybe the 30th, check with Horizon) they will upgrade you to DSMX for free. Earlier its 75 dollars which includes return shipping.

They did mine and fixed a busted switch on mine and had it back in my hands in about 12 days. I offered to pay for the switch but they fixed it for free while it was there.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:44 AM
olnico

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Today on the flight, I had Zero packet losses for all the antennas (3, one of them went kaput on me), Zero Fades, and 422 Holds, all in the 8 minute flight routine.
I have always been under the impression a ''hold'' is essentially a ''fail-safe''.
When I used to be a Spektrum user ( a few years back now ) I had this problem once.
After lots of tests, I found out that I had a bad antenna connection ( loose contact in one of the antenna plugs ).
This was actually completely triking the system, giving a lot of holds without any frams losses.

Check all your antenna plugs and cable and play with them while looking at your data logger to see if this is the problem.
Let me know if this is a correct guess...
Old 06-07-2011, 04:57 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: olnico

Today on the flight, I had Zero packet losses for all the antennas (3, one of them went kaput on me), Zero Fades, and 422 Holds, all in the 8 minute flight routine.
I have always been under the impression a ''hold'' is essentially a ''fail-safe''.
When I used to be a Spektrum user ( a few years back now ) I had this problem once.
After lots of tests, I found out that I had a bad antenna connection ( loose contact in one of the antenna plugs ).
This was actually completely triking the system, giving a lot of holds without any frams losses.

Check all your antenna plugs and cable and play with them while looking at your data logger to see if this is the problem.
Let me know if this is a correct guess...
Oli,
thanks for the tip. I'll give her a look-see this afternoon.

Thomas
Old 06-07-2011, 06:17 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

The DMSX will show higher frame loses because it hops. this is normal. I have been told the many of the high frames loses are during taxi runs due to the fact that most jets sit low to the ground and you get a bounce off of the ground. They suggest that during range checking that the plane be 3 ft. off of the ground to get true numbers. Another thing many are now doing is placing one sat in the bottom of the plane. Dennis
Old 06-07-2011, 06:49 AM
invertmast

Got off the phone with the horizon tech rep, and the consensus from them was, "we dont know whats wrong, do some rangee testing and if it keeps happening, call us back". So ill try the things you guys have suggested and let you all know what i find.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:42 PM
fatboys124
My Feedback: (2)

Ok how ironic this is to me,I have been flying the same 13 yes 13 planes with a 14th i just put together this spring,no specific rx but a DX7 TX the same planes I have flown for years now without a problem not even a hint, WILL NOT HOLD ABIND.The new plane is a seagull yak that i bought an AR7600 rx for and bound way back in february of this year,LOST BIND,A pluma that i have flown for two years LOST BIND,A Brio that i flew a hundred times last year LOST BIND and will not work period AR6200 rx.My point being that this has happened to me and another fellow flyer at my club that called me in a panic with the same problem,stick your oh me oh my I should switch to brand X bull and so on ,This is an open letter to HORIZONHOBBIES and fellow RC plane folks who have plopped thier hard earned money down for this garbage and are told the same stupid s... from them OH well too bad send it in,IF thier is a problem you douche bags (HORIZON) then let us know before we send our money and planes to the ground.I owned a DX6I that fried the RF board and two planes in the process,Thats when i UPGRADED to the DX7??? yea thats a joke,I now have no confidence in any RX orTXbranded by Spektrum or JR,SAY what you want but nobody has the time for thismalarky.All different RX`s folksone radio same brand *** gives ????.I will be sending a letter to Horizon but we all know thats not going anywhere exceptto the ground.I also havesix helis with spektrum Rx`s I guess ill stick to slot cars
Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 PM
BaldEagel

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have lost bind on most of my Spektrum stuff over the years, but on re-binding they seem to work OKish again, luckily this always seem to happen on the ground, perhaps thats why they give us that little do dah to hang the bind plug from the Tx handle.

Mike
Old 06-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: fatboys124

Ok how ironic this is to me,I have been flying the same 13 yes 13 planes with a 14th i just put together this spring,no specific rx but a DX7 TX the same planes I have flown for years now without a problem not even a hint, WILL NOT HOLD A BIND.The new plane is a seagull yak that i bought an AR7600 rx for and bound way back in february of this year,LOST BIND,A pluma that i have flown for two years LOST BIND,A Brio that i flew a hundred times last year LOST BIND and will not work period AR6200 rx.My point being that this has happened to me and another fellow flyer at my club that called me in a panic with the same problem,stick your oh me oh my I should switch to brand X bull and so on ,This is an open letter to HORIZON HOBBIES and fellow RC plane folks who have plopped thier hard earned money down for this garbage and are told the same stupid s... from them OH well too bad send it in,IF thier is a problem you douche bags (HORIZON) then let us know before we send our money and planes to the ground.I owned a DX6I that fried the RF board and two planes in the process,Thats when i UPGRADED to the DX7??? yea thats a joke,I now have no confidence in any RX or TX branded by Spektrum or JR,SAY what you want but nobody has the time for this malarky.All different RX`s folks one radio same brand *** gives ????.I will be sending a letter to Horizon but we all know thats not going anywhere except to the ground.I also have six helis with spektrum Rx`s I guess ill stick to slot cars

Well,

At least a guy knows where he stands with you...
Old 06-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Glen Roberts

A bit of topic but would apreciate some help.

Has anyone used the DATA loger on the DSMJ. We get some very high frame loses and fades with our vampire instalation but no noticable problems when flying. Just wondering if the loger can be used on DSMJ reliably?

Glen.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: Glen Roberts

A bit of topic but would apreciate some help.

Has anyone used the DATA loger on the DSMJ. We get some very high frame loses and fades with our vampire instalation but no noticable problems when flying. Just wondering if the loger can be used on DSMJ reliably?

Glen.
as posted by craig earlier in this thread:

"FYI, it appears one characteristic of DSMX is extemely high frame loss counts (i.e. 999). Apparently fame "losses" are generated every time the system hops. It's not indicative of a problem with DSMX but it renders the data logger useless as a tool to identify signal or antenna problems. JR is supposedly working on a fix and the current advice is "don't worry about it". "
Old 07-17-2011, 04:36 PM
invertmast

Soo i have an update on the original problem and the fix.

After doing a couple dozen range checks on the ground (and even turning the transmitter off during them) I never once got any antenna packet loss's or holds.. Fade rates went up to 999 very quickly, but the airplane worked fine (even 1000' away w/ the bind button pressed) until power was turned off. I did this with both the turbine running and not. Nothing ever changed. I put in a new data-logger... no change.. new receiver.. no change.. So i put the original rx back in and have flown the plane about 5 times after all that.

One day i was getting the plane ready for a flight and my bvm fill-valve went belly up and started leaking. So in order to replace it, i had to remove the board under the speed-brake. When i did that, i also disconnected the switch, data logger and speed-brake servo. Long story short, when i was putting it back together, the extension i was using for the data-logger, had one of the male pins loose. It was apparently being pushed out of the female servo connector when the datalogger was plugged into it.

So after fixing the connector and putting the thing back together, everything started working like it had in the past. All of that trouble b/c one connector pin (the white one) had come loose.