Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Maj. Woody's X-Treme Jets F-4C Phantom

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Maj. Woody's X-Treme Jets F-4C Phantom

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 09:17 AM
Tcoltpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme F-4

I'm sure you'll enjoy the build once you get it. Waiting on the KingTech 120, electronic brake controller and the gear/door sequencer from Dirk. I also ordered better air lines from BVM. I used aluminum tape on the inside of the turkey feathers for heat disipation.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:09 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F16Jeff
I put my order in for the Xtreme F4-E with Dirk last night. Going to see if they will paint the Wild Weasel scheme I want. I also asked for the upgrade Kevlar tanks and not have them drill the holes so I can position where I want them.

Now the waiting begins.
Good idea with the tanks, wish I would have thought of that! One jet took 3 months and the other took 6 months, they were both ordered at the same time. The best of luck with your order, hope all goes well for ya.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:14 PM
Tcoltpilot

Default Skymaster F-4

Work in progress.
The turkey feathers with the aluminum tape inside.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:25 PM
dionysusbacchus

If you add the afterburner lights they would really shine with that tape in there!

Make sure when you are installing your pipe to install it upside down from what the manual shows. Also cut the tabs off at the bottom as I show in the picture to keep the pipe lower, otherwise you will burn the tail. I had to also angle the tail cones by cutting them down and then shimming them as needed to fit the angle of the pipe.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:34 PM
Tcoltpilot

Default Exhaust F-4

Thanks for the heads up on the tabs and inverting the exhaust. For right now I'm going for static display until I get the turbine. I had to move the elevator servos back from the original laser holes as everything wouldn't fit without bowing out the sides and difficult to put the bottom cover on. Have to make up new blocks to screw into also.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:01 PM
F16Jeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Tcolt, your bicentennial scheme looks great. When you have a chance, can you post pics of the servo mods you made? I wonder why they didn't fit where they were designed to go.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:49 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus
If you add the afterburner lights they would really shine with that tape in there!

Make sure when you are installing your pipe to install it upside down from what the manual shows. Also cut the tabs off at the bottom as I show in the picture to keep the pipe lower, otherwise you will burn the tail. I had to also angle the tail cones by cutting them down and then shimming them as needed to fit the angle of the pipe.
So why did you install the pipe upside down? I installed mine as shown and it worked fine. I would think that if you installed it upside down you'd have nose down thrust with throttle as the ends of the pipe would be pointing down by quite a bit - as evidenced by having to adjust the tailcones...

Bob
Old 04-02-2018, 08:22 AM
dionysusbacchus

When I did the maiden with the C model, I had the elevator right on the money, it also has inverted pipe. No trim was needed at any throttle setting. Turbine thrust angles seem to be more important than pipe angle, check out this picture of a giant scale F-15 (CSmith plans) in Germany, single pipe out the left nozzle! That is what Skymaster found out when they had the twins set on 0 degrees with the unfortunate modeler doing the single engine experimentation.

No problems going vertical or at any throttle setting with the F-15 set up as shown. The pipe in the F-15 is bent so that the bell is aligned with the turbine and then it goes straight out the back.

The reason I did the inverted pipe is because earlier in the thread MajWoody burned his tail when it was set up the stock way. The engine already has down thrust built into the mount, if you look at the pipe and the full scale F-4 you will see that inverted the pipe continues this line out the tail cones. I angled the tail cones to match the pipe and for a scale look. I have no idea why yours does not burn the tail, I'm just not going to take the chance and mine looks more scale, flies great. I am no expert however, so take what works with me with a grain of salt.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:40 AM
Tcoltpilot

Default Skymaster Extreme F-4

I will do the mod to save the tail feathers from burning. Thanks for all your help and insight. I am still going through all your past photos. Is there room for a drag chute in this F-4?
Old 04-02-2018, 08:50 AM
rhklenke

So on mine, the engine rails are high enough that as long as the fuel tanks are spread out a bit, the turbine can go forward between them - as mine is mounted. That leaves the turbine significantly higher than the exhaust at the tailcones. The pipe has to be angled down in order for the beginning of the pipe to be aligned with the engine - or else the engine's exhaust will be hitting the side of the pipe and overheat it. Then, the ends of the pipe are *slightly* angled up to get the exhaust to be closer to the neutral thrust line - i.e., not be nose down.

With a mid-mounted engine, the angle of the exhaust is more important than the angle at which the engine is mounted. Angling the exhaust down too far is just like having vectored thrust with the nozzle pointed down. If your's dones't exhibit any nose down with thrust, then perhaps its not that much of an issue on this model, or your engine is mounted lower than mine.

With the pipe upright on mine, the exhaust still points down some, and if I mount the tailcones correctly, they still point down a bit - like the full scale. If I were to flip the pipe over, the downward angle would be larger than looks correct.

I did have a bit of bubbling on the skin of the bottom of the stab, but it was cosmetic only and easily fixed. I coated the bottom of the stab where the heat shield is on the full scale with BVM Heat Shield paint and repainted it. I haven't has any issues since. Maj. Woody had some bubbling of the paint on his as well, but I don't think it really "burnt" it.

Bob
Old 04-02-2018, 08:52 AM
rhklenke

Originally Posted by Tcoltpilot
I will do the mod to save the tail feathers from burning. Thanks for all your help and insight. I am still going through all your past photos. Is there room for a drag chute in this F-4?
Yes, I have a chute on mine. I got it from Details 4 Scale for the BVM F-4. The mechanism has to be cut down a bit to fit, but it can be done...

Bob

PS, I also have Sparrow and Sidewinder missiles and a centerline tank for mine as well - all modified from ones sized for the BVM F-4.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:56 AM
dionysusbacchus

Ha, you figured out my next mod! Yes, I'm in the planning stages now. So far, it appears that a Monokote cardboard tube is the correct size, I won't know until I cut the tail cone off though. I will make a glass tube using the Monokote tube as mold. Next I have some spring loaded miniature Robart type hinge points, because I want the cone to open up and to the right as the full scale. I've seen some Model F-4's that have the cone hinged on the bottom and it just flops down, not cool. Fishing line will be used as a safety feature if it opens in flight.

It will be simple spring operated with a micro servo, I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:19 AM
dionysusbacchus

It's impossible to show in a picture, but the turbine down thrust is more than the pipe angle inverted. I don't think it's good for fiberglass to get hot all the time, but with my set up no extra work is needed. I felt the stabs after running the engine and they are not even warm.

You can see here how I trimmed the tabs, trim the bottom tabs and not the top. With the cones cut even, they only need to be shimmed 1/8" to get the right angle.

No vectored thrust, the angle of the pipe would have to be pretty severe to have a vectored thrust effect I would think. As you can see, my pipe inverted is not extreme at all and like I said is actually less down thrust than is built into the turbine mount.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:33 PM
Tcoltpilot

Default Extreme Skymaster F-4

Originally Posted by F16Jeff
Tcolt, your bicentennial scheme looks great. When you have a chance, can you post pics of the servo mods you made? I wonder why they didn't fit where they were designed to go.
The standard size servos were to wide going in towards the back end of the jet. It was hard to get in causing a slight crack in the fuse. Bowed out the side of the fuse causing the elevator to bind on the side of the fuse. Using Spectrum HV High Torque A6150 servos. Now all is good.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:54 PM
Tcoltpilot

Default T-2C Buckeye

The standard size servos were to wide going in towards the back end of the jet. It was hard to get in causing a slight crack in the fuse. Bowed out the side of the fuse causing the elevator to bind on the side of the fuse. Using Spectrum HV High Torque A6150 servos. Now all is good.

This one is from VT-26 the squadron I worked at in the Navy. Beeville TX, NAS Chase.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:06 PM
dionysusbacchus

I don't have a picture, but i used a single SAVOX SA-1230SG MONSTER TORQUE CORELESS STEEL GEAR DIGITAL SERVO, 500 oz-in @6V. More than enough for this plane, that servo is a beast. Just like Woody did earlier in this thread.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:00 AM
rhklenke

Default engine and pip mounting

Your setup is different than mine. My engine mounts further forward and higher. The result is that the pipe exits in what looks to me to be a scale amount of down thrust when installed right side up.

Regardless, it might be that a few degrees of down thrust at the pipe exhaust doesn't make mush difference in trim, but I'm sure that a few degrees of down thrust at the pipe exit doesn't make a more than a few degrees difference in how warm the aft fuselage and stabs get either...

Actually, I han't checked in awhile, but with the motor mounts glued in, I can't even get my pipe in upside down anymore. the Spacing between the former/mounts and the top of the fuselage is too tight. It also won't go any lower because its sitting on the aft wing tube...

Old 04-03-2018, 08:02 AM
rhklenke

I don't have a picture, but i used a single SAVOX SA-1230SG MONSTER TORQUE CORELESS STEEL GEAR DIGITAL SERVO, 500 oz-in @6V. More than enough for this plane, that servo is a beast. Just like Woody did earlier in this thread.
I use a single JR 8711 servo on my stab - never any problems and makes more room to get the chute mechanism (the air ram for deployment) in there.

Bob
Old 04-03-2018, 08:14 AM
F16Jeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for the pic and explanation. I am not sure what servos I will use yet.

Jeff
Old 04-03-2018, 08:29 AM
Tcoltpilot

Default Mounting rails

If I'm not mistaken, the rails were to be screwed down to the formers and not glued.???
Old 04-03-2018, 08:45 AM
dionysusbacchus

Bob, Your pipe is looks too high and is aimed straight back, wouldn't be the first time China got something wrong. 5 degrees of scale down thrust has no effect as far as I can tell, but again I only have 9 flights on this airframe.

My mounts are removable, so I can easily do whatever I want to do with the pipe or rear fuselage.

Regardless, it might be that a few degrees of down thrust at the pipe exhaust doesn't make mush difference in trim, but I'm sure that a few degrees of down thrust at the pipe exit doesn't make a more than a few degrees difference in how warm the aft fuselage and stabs get either...
My setup does not make the stab warm and it does not burn the paint, not much more I can say on that, if you are happy that is all that matters though, I'm not changing mine either!
Old 04-03-2018, 08:47 AM
dionysusbacchus

If I'm not mistaken, the rails were to be screwed down to the formers and not glued.???
Yes, your kit can have removable mounts. Notice the screws I added to the front of the mounts in the picture.

Front mount screws are just in front of the turbine mount flange.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:39 AM
rhklenke

Mine didn't even come with turbine rails - had to make my own. The turbine mounting shown in the manual is totally different than any I have seen in customer's hands. The rails in the manual extend forward of the front former and the turbine mounts are actually between the fuel tanks. I'm not sure that this is possible with the tanks that came with mine. My turbine is mounted at the extreme forward position possible with the tanks I got - and to do that, I had to move the tanks outward and up as far as possible.

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 04-03-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:49 AM
rhklenke

Bob, Your pipe is looks too high and is aimed straight back, wouldn't be the first time China got something wrong. 5 degrees of scale down thrust has no effect as far as I can tell, but again I only have 9 flights on this airframe.
As I mentioned, I can't lower the pipe because it is already sitting on the aft wing tube...

They must have changed some things on the plane since I bought mine. That's not unusual either.

Bob
Old 04-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Tcoltpilot

Default Exhaust pipe

Before I cut down the intake. Exhaust just temporarily put in place to check fit. Waiting on turbine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.