Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Maj. Woody's X-Treme Jets F-4C Phantom

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Maj. Woody's X-Treme Jets F-4C Phantom

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 07:41 AM
F16Jeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was able to remove the aileron and flap servo screws without too much trouble. The good part is I do not need to replace the mounting rails. Today I have #4 x 3/8" wood screws arriving. Next I will countersink the screws into the aluminum mounts by using a larger drill bit. Once servos are installed I will install the flap and aileron control horns. Should have wings completed by tomorrow with all controls hooked up. This will complete all the control hook-ups.

Most of the steps left to complete:
1. Plumb and install UAT and fuel tanks
2. Plumb air supply for gear and brakes
3. Create electronics board and install components
4. Program and test landing gear and gear door sequence
5. Paint pilots
6. Assemble cockpit with pilots and install
7 Install batteries for best balance
8. Adjust all controls and Cortex Pro
The list is getting shorter and I should have it completed in the next couple weeks dependent on work schedule.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:55 AM
F16Jeff

Default Cockpit trimmed and fitted.

Spent several hours last night trimming and fitting the cockpit. I am doing install same way as Major Woody did in this thread.

The cockpit tub was cracked at the rear and was kind of fixed at the factory. Looks like it was glued and had putty applied before they painted it. I cleaned it up, drilled small hole at end of crack to stop it cracking further. Then applied fiberglass cloth to the back side. Now it is strong and should last.

I also had to cut the front of the tub to clear the steering servo. Still need to paint the pilots and add them. At least it is looking more complete seeing the cockpit through the canopy.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:43 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff, good to see you are still at the F-4. What was the reason for following Skymaster on the pipe? It looks like you will have blistering issues with the pipe as it is, as you know I have built 2 of these and have no issues whatsoever with an inverted pipe. The full scale F-4 was built with downthrust, I believe 5 degrees, not sure though. Without the down angle on the pipe you will need some type of heat shield for the tail.

I'll post my video for those that may have missed it, the F-4 will forgive a dumb thumb until there is no airspeed left to give!

Old 05-23-2019, 09:07 AM
F16Jeff

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus
Jeff, good to see you are still at the F-4. What was the reason for following Skymaster on the pipe? It looks like you will have blistering issues with the pipe as it is, as you know I have built 2 of these and have no issues whatsoever with an inverted pipe. The full scale F-4 was built with downthrust, I believe 5 degrees, not sure though. Without the down angle on the pipe you will need some type of heat shield for the tail.

I'll post my video for those that may have missed it, the F-4 will forgive a dumb thumb until there is no airspeed left to give!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2vNulraO0A
I always enjoy seeing your video. As for the pipe install, I increased the angle of down thrust. not sure it is 5 degrees though. I will check this evening. Inverting the pipe is still an option since it is easy to access.

Did you tee the main tanks or run in series? I have seen people do them both ways.

Also, I have nice tank fittings from Pacific RC Jets that I will use. My thought is putting a vent tube fitting on top of each main tank. Any thoughts about this idea?

Thank you,

Jeff
Old 06-19-2019, 05:47 AM
dionysusbacchus

Thanks Jeff, I have the stock T fitting arrangement on my tanks as per the instructions. It would be a good idea to have L vent fitting on top of the tanks, it would make installation of the tanks easier.

Just a note as to why I am not on here much, I've lost my flying site due to the political nature of the local club (a few that know what's best for all despite the popular vote) and one bumbling know it all, so I no longer fly RC unfortunately. I have not been able to bring myself to sell any of my models yet, even though most have sat for 1 1/2 years some for 2 years not flown. I do enjoy coming on here every so often to see what my old friends are doing, so keep up the good work, looking forward to your successful maiden!
Old 06-19-2019, 05:57 AM
F16Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I have the stock T fitting arrangement on my tanks as per the instructions. It would be a good idea to have L vent fitting on top of the tanks, it would make installation of the tanks easier.

Just a note as to why I am not on here much, I've lost my flying site due to the political nature of the local club (a few that know what's best for all despite the popular vote) and one bumbling know it all, so I no longer fly RC unfortunately. I have not been able to bring myself to sell any of my models yet, even though most have sat for 1 1/2 years some for 2 years not flown. I do enjoy coming on here every so often to see what my old friends are doing, so keep up the good work, looking forward to your successful maiden!
Thank you for the info on the tank feeds. I also inverted my pipe as Bob suggested. Plenty of down thrust at the rear and should avoid heating the stabilator.

Sorry to hear about your field loss. I know how tough it is to not sell your stuff. I am in a similar situation, except my field has been closed by the FAA. For me, I do have other options that require a two hour drive to fly my turbines. I have not done it yet since our field just closed May 23. They are working with the FAA to reopen it to some degree. Not sure turbines will be allowed back though.

I have thought of selling my stuff and use the funds elsewhere. I just cannot get myself to do it and will make the drive to fly a couple time a month. I do have a local field that I can still fly smaller EDFs and other aircraft. No turbines allowed due to fire danger.
I hope you can figure something out and begin flying again. I really understand your frustration. Good luck and glad to see you are around here still.

Cheers!
Jeff
Old 06-19-2019, 06:36 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by F16Jeff
Thank you for the info on the tank feeds. I also inverted my pipe as Bob suggested. Plenty of down thrust at the rear and should avoid heating the stabilator.

Sorry to hear about your field loss. I know how tough it is to not sell your stuff. I am in a similar situation, except my field has been closed by the FAA. For me, I do have other options that require a two hour drive to fly my turbines. I have not done it yet since our field just closed May 23. They are working with the FAA to reopen it to some degree. Not sure turbines will be allowed back though.

I have thought of selling my stuff and use the funds elsewhere. I just cannot get myself to do it and will make the drive to fly a couple time a month. I do have a local field that I can still fly smaller EDFs and other aircraft. No turbines allowed due to fire danger.
I hope you can figure something out and begin flying again. I really understand your frustration. Good luck and glad to see you are around here still.

Cheers!
Jeff
Jeff,

Sorry to hear about your field situation WRT to the FAA! What club was that and where is their field?

Bob
Old 06-19-2019, 07:11 AM
F16Jeff

Originally Posted by rhklenke
Jeff,

Sorry to hear about your field situation WRT to the FAA! What club was that and where is their field?

Bob
Hi Bob,HiIt is the Valley Flyers club at the Sepulveda Basin in California. There are several threads on RCU and RC Groups about it. Since the field is a public park and is located less than 2 miles from Van Nuys airport, the FAA shut it down after our last jet event.
The club and park district are working with the FAA and Control Tower to get a letter of Agreement to open the field back up. Not sure what rules will be placed on the pilots, but fairly sure that Turbine aircraft will not be allowed back.
So my options are Riverside and Buttonwillow in Bakersfield. Both of these fields are a couple hours away. Then I also have a dry lakebed to fly from, but my understanding that the military fly drones out there and will disrupt radio signal at any point in time. I have a friend who is trying to find out if the military has certain times that they could let us know to fly. So far no response from them.

This hobby is taking another big hit with the new FAA regs. It is happening all across the country at fields old and new that are in airspace they govern.

Best regards,

Jeff
Old 06-19-2019, 07:27 AM
rhklenke

Hi Bob,HiIt is the Valley Flyers club at the Sepulveda Basin in California. There are several threads on RCU and RC Groups about it. Since the field is a public park and is located less than 2 miles from Van Nuys airport, the FAA shut it down after our last jet event.
The club and park district are working with the FAA and Control Tower to get a letter of Agreement to open the field back up. Not sure what rules will be placed on the pilots, but fairly sure that Turbine aircraft will not be allowed back.
So my options are Riverside and Buttonwillow in Bakersfield. Both of these fields are a couple hours away. Then I also have a dry lakebed to fly from, but my understanding that the military fly drones out there and will disrupt radio signal at any point in time. I have a friend who is trying to find out if the military has certain times that they could let us know to fly. So far no response from them.

This hobby is taking another big hit with the new FAA regs. It is happening all across the country at fields old and new that are in airspace they govern.

Best regards,

Jeff
Jeff,

Yea, that's a tough one. That field is located in an area that shows as "0" feet authorization on the FAA's UAS Facility Map - meaning that they will not authorize any UAS flight in there using the LAANC system. That doesn't directly apply to us, but it does indicate the fact that they really don't want any non-manned aviation activity in that area.

They have given access to historical "fixed sites" that are in a similar situation, but I'd be willing to bet that at most, you'll get authorization to 400', but no higher. It doesn't necessarily mean no turbine flying there, but that may be up to the local authorities to work out.

Good luck with that!

BTW, our flying field is grass and is OK for certain turbines, but we routinely drive over an hour to a better site - its just a matter of desire! I'd go further than that to fly turbines, if it was necessary...
Old 06-20-2019, 02:43 PM
F16Jeff

Originally Posted by rhklenke
Jeff,

Yea, that's a tough one. That field is located in an area that shows as "0" feet authorization on the FAA's UAS Facility Map - meaning that they will not authorize any UAS flight in there using the LAANC system. That doesn't directly apply to us, but it does indicate the fact that they really don't want any non-manned aviation activity in that area.

They have given access to historical "fixed sites" that are in a similar situation, but I'd be willing to bet that at most, you'll get authorization to 400', but no higher. It doesn't necessarily mean no turbine flying there, but that may be up to the local authorities to work out.

Good luck with that!

BTW, our flying field is grass and is OK for certain turbines, but we routinely drive over an hour to a better site - its just a matter of desire! I'd go further than that to fly turbines, if it was necessary...
Hi Bob,

I just received word that Sepulveda Basin will reopen tomorrow. The altitude limit has been reduced to 250 feet. Which is still adequate for most aircraft. Turbines have been approved to fly. Smoke is no longer allowed for any aircraft. No take off or landings from right to left, so if wind is reversed then no flying.

At least I have a nearby field for turbine flight again.

Jeff
Old 06-21-2019, 06:52 AM
rhklenke

Hi Bob,

I just received word that Sepulveda Basin will reopen tomorrow. The altitude limit has been reduced to 250 feet. Which is still adequate for most aircraft. Turbines have been approved to fly. Smoke is no longer allowed for any aircraft. No take off or landings from right to left, so if wind is reversed then no flying.

At least I have a nearby field for turbine flight again.

Jeff
That's great news Jeff! The F-4 is a great plane to blast around in circles anyway - big verticals are not needed to have fun with it.

Bob
Old 07-07-2019, 01:39 AM
waynereed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For some reason I cannot see any of Maj Woody's pics. I would like if someone would post pics the neutral position of the elevators.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:19 AM
airborn900

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is a P-100 enough for this model? I have one and I’m looking for a good scale jet to put it in.

Thanks

Old 07-12-2019, 02:35 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

In my opinion a 100 would be the minimum for this plane. The right engine is a 120. It should come out about 24# dry and about 30# TO weight. So you be the judge.
It also depends on whether you're flying off of grass or a paved runway.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:46 PM
airborn900

Thank you for the info. I’ll keep looking. Gotta find something mthing for my 100
Old 01-30-2020, 08:25 AM
F16Jeff

Hi Everyone,

I am back working on my F4. Last year was a hectic and now I am back to assembly and flying. Only a few things left to complete and hope to fire up the turbine this weekend. If all goes well I plan to do maiden the following weekend. Control hookups are complete. I inverted the tail pipe as suggested here. I am now ready to install components. I would appreciate any pics and suggestions for equipment layout in cockpit.

Originally Posted by F16Jeff;12526443

Most of the steps left to complete:[left
1. Plumb and install UAT and fuel tanks
2. Plumb air supply for gear and brakes
3. Create electronics board and install components - In progress
4. Program and test landing gear and gear door sequence
5. Paint pilots
6. Assemble cockpit with pilots and install
7 Install batteries for best balance
8. Adjust all controls and Cortex Pro
The list is getting shorter and I should have it completed in the next couple weeks dependent on work schedule.
Thank you,

Jeff
Old 01-31-2020, 08:55 AM
F16Jeff

Default More progress

Last night I located and mounted all my equipment on the tray. The batteries and air tanks fit in the nose very well. Depending on balance, I will be able to add or remove as necessary. Tonight I will terminate all connections to CB 200 and Cortex Pro. Complete fuel tank and fuel pump plumbing. Plan to make a air valve and gauge board to fit above the intakes in the turbine area. Really feeling like it is close to being finished.

Jeff

Old 02-10-2020, 07:27 AM
F16Jeff

Now everything is nearly completed on my Thunderbirds F4e Phantom. Some final questions, what is the optimum balance for maiden flight? More important, what size screws are used for the front wing screws? It turns out mine were not included with the hardware. They seem to be M4, not sure proper length for them.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Jeff
Old 02-10-2020, 08:13 AM
dionysusbacchus

Now everything is nearly completed on my Thunderbirds F4e Phantom. Some final questions, what is the optimum balance for maiden flight? More important, what size screws are used for the front wing screws? It turns out mine were not included with the hardware. They seem to be M4, not sure proper length for them.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Jeff
Jeff old buddy, nice to see you finishing this project! Last time I flew mine was over a year ago, I no longer fly. Club only listens to one man, members had no voice or vote, so I had to move on, FEMA has taken over the flying site anyway so it's all but completely over for turbine flying here.

I flew mine with a CG of 253mm back from the leading edge at the wing root, you will be good at 250mm. I did not start with anything further forward than that, so I can't comment, my planes however did not need any trim. The wing bolts are 20mm or 3/4" long, not sure of the size, they just fit into the embedded nut.

Do not be worried about this plane, it is so easy to fly. You can slow it down, don't be afraid of that, it is so forgiving. Good luck my friend and keep us posted! Luke

Old 02-11-2020, 11:22 AM
F16Jeff

Hi Luke,

Thank you for the quick reply. Sorry to hear about your field and not being able to fly your jets. We have been successful so far in working with the FAA and nearby airport to continue flying at our field. Of course it is always being watched and we never know when the next battle will come up.

It is hard to believe I have been working on this Jet for over a year now. It is exciting to know I am close to flying it. I am hoping to possibly maiden this Friday if I can get everything completed the next couple evenings. Then take it to Coachella Jet Jam on Saturday. It is a big stretch goal at this time,, but one I am working towards.

I appreciate the cg measurements. i will start at 250mm and go from there.

All controls are set up to recommended throws.

I am curious if you are using crow on ailerons for full flaps and any elevator compensation?

Cheers!

Jeff

Jeff old buddy, nice to see you finishing this project! Last time I flew mine was over a year ago, I no longer fly. Club only listens to one man, members had no voice or vote, so I had to move on, FEMA has taken over the flying site anyway so it's all but completely over for turbine flying here.

I flew mine with a CG of 253mm back from the leading edge at the wing root, you will be good at 250mm. I did not start with anything further forward than that, so I can't comment, my planes however did not need any trim. The wing bolts are 20mm or 3/4" long, not sure of the size, they just fit into the embedded nut.

Do not be worried about this plane, it is so easy to fly. You can slow it down, don't be afraid of that, it is so forgiving. Good luck my friend and keep us posted! Luke
Old 02-11-2020, 12:05 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Jeff,

250mm is a good place to start. I maidened mine at 245 and it was a bit nose heavy. I'm now at 255mm.
I have 3 mm. UP trim with full flaps, no crow.
Good luck with the maiden.

Joe
Old 02-14-2020, 12:27 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Size of PVC Cradle Pipes

Hello Major - Followed up on your Rigid Stand. Really like it. Now to finish up on the stand, could you tell me what size PVC pipe did you use? Many thanks. Very Informative Build. Luv Me Some F-4s. Chic
Old 02-19-2020, 10:04 AM
Riddle4U

I didn’t know you had flown jets Luke. I’m sorry to here of your club issues; par for the course unfortunately.

Are there not other clubs flying jets in your area? I’ve got 5 or 6 clubs in the greater Denver area (only one flies jets and has appropriate runway for our high density altitude). Jeffco Aeromodellers.

Carbon Egida and me. 400’ is ridiculous.

I also fly competition sailplanes and we’re kinda screwed going forward since our old LOA with FAA is canceled. 400’ cap and all. Time to march on Washington...

Last edited by Riddle4U; 02-19-2020 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Misspelling
The following users liked this post:
dionysusbacchus (03-04-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 08:19 PM
F16Jeff

Default My F4 came to life today.

Finally had some time off work this weekend. I work in the cruise industry and dealing with many guests being quarantined. Now most are home.

So now I have been finishing up a lot of the small things. Still need to balance and tidy up some lines and wires. Tonight I fired up the K140g2 and very impressed with the power. Now I have to wait for the stay at home order to be lifted.

For some reason I cannot upload an mp4 video of it running. I will try again later.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:15 AM
airborn900

Hello all, I am considering one of these from pacific RC. Thay have the ARTF. Can someone tell me what is missing? In other words I would like a list of equipment also needed to complete the project.

thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.