Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skygate/CARF Viperjet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skygate/CARF Viperjet

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 04:05 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Default RE: Skygate/CARF Viperjet

Went back and found the post. Sonic tronic makes sprung hinges that could be used to hold the door open.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:12 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Did not know that fact! Thanks! Well, if I have issues, may go and modify it to the side. But, remember, this is a sports jet, and I don't see any benifit for it to be on the side, verses the front. At least on the front, it does act as a small speed brake with the gear down.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:16 AM
Bob_B

Reminds me of the BD5j nose door.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:19 AM
RCFlyerDan

Everyone at the field thought it looked like a BD5, because of the fat fuselage in the front and skinny exhaust tube. I remember the Budwiser one and 007. One thing that did concern me though, is that the strut springs seem soft, but according to CARF, they have been designed for this model. Has anyone else used the gear and had a firm landing to test them out?
Old 03-06-2013, 07:21 AM
zeev barnes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Great looking jet
I also did not make door in front wheel
I try to keep it simple
What a beutiful air field
Best
Old 03-06-2013, 07:40 AM
RCFlyerDan

Thank you on the compliment! You should see the other two jet fields that I belong. They are even nicer fields, with 600+ paved runway, verses the one in the video of 450 ft, with that hill to the West that you see the jet taxi down too. I flew my Flash out of the field in the video, and once comfortable with the jet, plan to fly it at SPARKS too. Ocala is the most beautiful jet field for scenery and ammenities, but Cape Coral, has a better flying area with less trees and flatter ground.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 AM
Mark H

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will not need to test the gear , the plane is the sweetest landing machine you will ever fly, I have many flights on mine and many others , yes gear is strong and problem free, just don't push down on the fin when pushing out full of fuel! This makes gear bottom.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 AM
RCFlyerDan

LOL>>>>>Now you know why I asked about the gear!! I was pushing down on the rudder to push it into place, and sure enough, it bottomed out. Now I know! Thanks! I am truly looking forward to flying it.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:16 AM
RCFlyerDan

Mark! Your S.W.A.G was exactly what I was doing wrong! Of course on landing, it is also about 7# lighter too.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:49 PM
RCFlyerDan

Hey Guys!!

Had a GREAT Day today!! At a last minute invitiation by Andy Kane, Mr USA CARF Rep, who I have bought my last 3 CARF's from over the years. He happened to be in Cape Coral on vacation and getting ready for the SeaHawks Gathering of the Giants, on March 16-17th, I think. It is EXTREMELY jet friendly field, and I do belong to the Club, despite it is a 120 miles away from my home. I was fortunate enough to have Andy Kane present for the maiden of my Viper and to go over last minute details to see if I had anything out of the unusual on my jet, or more importantly, missed something extremely important. It was nice to have Andy K. as my spotter and coach through out the flight. Andy told me exactly what to look for in the maiden and the trimming of the jet, which was minimal. The maiden went uneventful, other then a little weather vaining, due to the crosswind, on landing, so that is more pilot technique. I have attached a couple pictures of the day!! If you can make Cape Coral Gathering of the Giants, please come!! Mac Hodges will be there with his B-29, just a lot of fun!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84435.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1859388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72553.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1859389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13356.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	1859390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27015.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1859391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18418.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1859392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24416.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1859393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74703.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1859394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35979.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1859395  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97140.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1859396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68246.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1859397  
Old 03-08-2013, 12:56 AM
Mark H

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RCFD, congratulations, told you it was nice, the Viper as a plane never appealed to me until I flew the comp arf model, it is so user friendly and easy to put together and operate, also the quality of the plane ,components, fuel tank gear fixings and fittings are so above the rest, so glad you are loving it. Looks great in the pictures, by the way it was not a scientific wild a##s guess, I had done the same thing and tried to push mine by the fin when it was full:-))))
Old 03-08-2013, 03:24 AM
RCFlyerDan

LOL>>>>>Mark! It was more like; Been there! Done that!! On pushing it with fuel.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:57 AM
Bob_B

Congrats Dan. on your maiden. I remember when i first saw this model fly at Florida jets . The designer Stephan Voelker had everyones attention. With its superb flying.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:37 AM
RCFlyerDan

Thank you! I have only had the one flight on it, but it is very light on the controls and very easy jet to fly. Not sure why they aren't selling that much here in the USA. Great jet! Also, on an earlier statement of mine, saying that I wished CARF would fix the seams a little better. Andy K. told me they do, and I just have to custom order the jet and they will do any paint scheme or fix the seams or whatever the customer wants on his jet. But, it does take some time from 4-6 months order time. I have always bought them when the kits were already here in the US. So, my earlier statement is kind of wrong. Again, I appreciate all of Andy's help! He is a great guy to deal with both from a customer stand point and as a pilot to respect. Last year, Andy even help me solve some trimming issues that I was having with my F-18, and not the brand they carry. Buy from Andy here in the US!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:50 AM
Achillesfilho

Hi guys.
Do you know if there is a light system for this jet and a metal nozzle also?
Thanks.

Achilles.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:35 AM
zeev barnes

Hi Dan
I had to put 400 gram of lead to balance it
Did you need tadd also weight to balance your viper
Please advice
Best
Old 03-29-2013, 10:43 AM
1ricardo
My Feedback: (25)

Olá Achilles,

Eu tenho 2 aviões desse para vender aqui em SP capital, se souber de alguém que tenha interesse por favor me avise.

Obrigado

Ricardo
Old 03-29-2013, 04:57 PM
Achillesfilho

Ok. Vc pode me mandar as cores e o valor por pm.
Abs.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:22 PM
1ricardo
My Feedback: (25)

Opa, primeiramente boa páscoa a todas ai.
Desculpa a demora, estava viajado, tenho um azul e um verde, ambos completos com tanque e trem e peço 15,900 reais em cada um

Obrigado

Ricardo
Old 04-01-2013, 12:09 PM
RCFlyerDan

Fellow Viper Pilots!! I wrote the following to my gas and turbine students for a learning lesson. Maybe some of he new guys can learn too.

Hey Guys!

I thought I would share my learning experience with you on the trouble shooting of a new jet or complex plane. On the battery system, I am using 2- 7.4 V Lipo 2200 mah batteries. These batteries then go to the Fromco Wolverine switch. I love this switch, because it regulates the battery drawl at an even rate, and each battery, when recharged, always end up with in 50 ma. If they don't, then you have an issue.
Well, since this is a new jet, new Fromco Wolverine, new batteries, new regulators, and I am wiring it all, ***** can happen. I now have only three different charges on the jet from a 3 days of different flying. Prior to the maiden, both batteries charged within 50 mah. So, to me the system was perfect. For the second flight, charging the batteries, #1 was taking less charge in ma, then #2. I thought initially, that it was just the difference in the two new batteries from storage charge. The charge prior to the 2 & 3 flight. The #1 battery only took 6 ma and the #2 took #362 ma. I thought that maybe I didn't have the regulators adjusted correctly, so I adjusted them to 5.9 volts each. By the way, they arrive at 5V. So, you want to increase them to the 6V, to get maximum return from each servo. This is why you paid the $$ for them.......the torque!!
Flew 3 flights last week, and went to charge them today, to hopefully fly tomorrow. #1 took 40 ma, and #2 took 810 ma.......I thought, OK, something is wrong, because this switch always balances the batteries. Regulators have now been equaled and drawling the same V. The switch is assumed to be correct from the factory, and since I have had several of these switches, they all work flawless.
So, started to investigate the battery connections. Sure enough, #1 battery Dean's plug, even though the first charge was close to #2, something happen to the cold solder joints during the battery charges and drains during the flights and charges, and the plug failed on both wires. Bad solder job on my part. So, essentially, I have been flying the Viper on one battery, even though, during the initial power up, blue lights show the #1 system to be working, and it ground test OK. This is why a single battery operator often looks confused after the lock out and loss of a plane, thinking, "What happened, everything tested normal on the ground!!"
Guys, this is why I have learned it is important on the more expensive jets/planes to keep flight and battery logs. Didn't think much of it in the smaller glow stuff. But, right here, my jet was talking to me, if I had forgotten the previous charge or wasn't smart enough to read the signs it was telling me, I could have lost the jet, and thankful that I didn't loose it. Pay attention to your planes and jets. Don't assume, that just because the ding, beep or bell went off on the charger, all is good at home! They do normally tell and "talk" to you prior to failure. Full scale jets always talked to you before the system failed. You just have to be observant and look for the signs of change. This is also the other reason of a dual battery system. IF, I had only had the one battery system on the jet, and a bad battery connection on that main battery, that tested normal and good on the ground, I would probably no longer have this jet. I am now charging #1 battery with the new plug and hopefully proper solder joints, and it took: 728 ma!!! Lesson learned, pass it on! Dan

PS- Nose gear door works flawless!! Easy set up, easy usage!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 AM
RCFlyerDan

ORIGINAL: zeev barnes

Hi Dan
I had to put 400 gram of lead to balance it
Did you need tadd also weight to balance your viper
Please advice
Best
Good Morning Zeev!

I didn't install a full cockpit, and have sence installed two H9 35% helmet head pilots, that weigh nothing. On the initial balance, by the way, I don't have the balance jig, and just hanging it from the wing tube. With the UAT full, and it is located near the air intakes, main tank empty, gear down(balance goes tail heavy with nose wheel retracts), I initially installed 20 oz (567grams) of lead in the empty nose section in front of the gear. Of course, all 3 Lipos are mounted in the nose section, two 2S on the shelf, and engines 3S-3600ma, but didn't weight them. I have 6 flights on it now, and for todays flight, I have reduced the nose weight by an 1.5oz. I asked Andy Kane if this was normal, since he was at CC for my maiden. He told me that the cockpit kit with pilots weights about a pound, so it was ok and normal. The last 3 flights, I started to see what the jet can do. After a couple minutes out of the main tank, inverted flight, I was still holding considerable down elevator to hold level flight, and on the knife edge, the jet is pulling to the canopy. This is the reason that I am reducing the lead weight in the nose. Zeev, after todays flights, I still may take even more out of it. But, the airspace that I am flying at today, doesn't have the space to make the jet perform aerobatics for the up winds and down winds. This field is tight and it is basically a yank and bank field, and a go vertical field. Will keep you posted! Dan
Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 AM
snobird
My Feedback: (36)

Hey Guys, what are you using for pilots in the Viper ? I can't fine any at the right scale ?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:32 AM
RCFlyerDan

ORIGINAL: snobird

Hey Guys, what are you using for pilots in the Viper ? I can't fine any at the right scale ?
I am using the 35% H9 Helmet heads. Will have a better picture later. I bought them in white, then painted them to match the jet's scheme.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16319.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1869351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77797.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1869352  
Old 04-02-2013, 03:41 AM
snobird
My Feedback: (36)

Thanks Dan, but I have a full cockpit detail ....
Old 04-02-2013, 03:48 AM
RCFlyerDan

NP....maybe this company in Germany would have some or a place to get them, since they carry the cockpit? The cockpit is the last one on the page.

http://www.noll-modelltechnik.de/cockpits_jets.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.