Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow F-16 EDF recommendation

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow F-16 EDF recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:12 PM
kevin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Yellow F-16 EDF recommendation

I recently flew my Tamjets 1/8th scale F-16 on a 100mm fan (sapac / dynamax cut to 100mm with neu 1912 motor) with great success (minus the landing - i really should have listened when my timer went off). The plane weighs just over 19 pounds but as you can tell from the video has plenty of performance and also sounds great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9oE4XPaFik
Old 10-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin,

What size packs were you using? I'm asking because it seemed like a pretty short flight. Anyway, I've seen MUCH worse landings than that. Good flying, btw.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:21 PM
kevin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The packs are 5000's and the actual flight time was 4:32 from takeoff to the ditch in the grass....i will work on another solution for larger packs over the winter. the 5000's are all i can fit in there given the sub formers and stock tray placement at the back of the cockpit.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL,

Not for me, it's not. You could tell me the plane in that video weighs 8 pounds RTF and I'd say add 8 more if that's what it took to get rid of that sound. Do you feel like the one in my video lands heavy?

Also, if you do opt for the Stumax fan, get the ducting for this plane from him, too.

I agree Shaun the sound is not good, thats not my point. The point is the plane is very light with a 100mm fan. I'm not talking about running Tams fan. You havn't heard the new 100mm from Stu's it is very impressive, Stu has a whole new line of fans. I have one of his new 80mm fans in my Habu which is based on the same design of the 100mm... for such a small fan it sounds amazing! The power is really good and it's a very efficent design.

Stu doesn't sell 100mm ducting for this plane, that why I said get it from Tam. Stu sells 110mm ducting but no longer makes a 110mm fan... the SM110-52 is out of production. There will be a new 110 mm coming, but I still feel the 100mm is the best fit for this plane.

I have Stu older SM 110-52 in my Spark and have over 100 flight on it, it's been an amazing fan and the sound is really sweet. The new line is even better.

Ron,

Sorry, I just re-read that. I have to ask... what are you basing that on? You've flown this plane with that setup or seen it done? I feel like I 'did it right' on the one in the video and it didn't do what you described at all, so I'm just trying to decide whether to believe you or my lyin' eyes....

Shaun I'll cut you some slack I know you fly turbines and aren't up on the ever changing landscape of the EDF world . The setup you used worked well.... but that unit is no longer in producting. Yours was the lighter setup with the Hacker motor. They were only rated for 11s and 4000 watts, that worked well in the F-16. That unit was right around 2 lbs.
All that XPS is selling right now is the much heavier pro version, it's 3 lbs 5oz. It's rated for much more watts, if you were running a very large plane on 15s and 7000 watts then that fan is an option for some.
But it would be silly to have all that weight on board and only make 4600 watts on 12s. You could use the scorpion 4035 converions for the Dynamax which is also very cheap and save 1 1/2 pounds and make the same power.

So I think you are getting your fans mixed up
Old 10-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: Ron101

So I think you are getting your fans mixed up

Ha!

Could be!
Old 10-25-2011, 05:56 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Some additional options you have are Change Sun. I have the 90mm of this unit and it's top quality for $17.00. The good new is they are offering larger muti blade units shortly.

The bad news is you have to balance the rotors.

But I look at the savings like paying my self $100 plus for 30 min to balance it.

Options.

Search the net for info.

Steve