Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Which radio?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Which radio?

Old 11-06-2011, 05:25 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Which radio?

Guys I have used spektrum in the past but Iwould not trust it to a turbine. Because of that, I probably would not trust JR either. What radios do you guys use. Regardless of features, none of that matter because I want to talk about reliability. Brownouts are one thing, but Iam talking about random lockouts.

What do turbine guys trust? Currently I am looking at a futaba 10CG.

I am new to turbines but I am heading in the direction of an su-27 with thrust vectoring by fia bao. So I will need at least 10 channels. I could actually do it in 8 but 10 would be better, 12 even better but regardless Ineed a radio that wont randomly lockout on me for 1-2 seconds every 50th flight.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:35 PM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which radio?

Oh God... here we go again, the Ford vs Chevy debate!....

I've used both... JR on 2.4 the last two yrs. never had problems with either... I currently have a 9503 (which I really like), but at times wish I had an extra channel. You'll do fine w/ the Futaba 10cg...
my .02

Z
Old 11-06-2011, 05:37 PM
essyou35

I disagree, I feel spektrum is not reliable anymore. Look on google, tons of stories.

I cant find a single one for 10cg.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:44 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your mind was already made up before the thread started.

Enjoy the 10
Old 11-06-2011, 05:47 PM
essyou35

Sure unless someone has some information for me I am not aware of, hence the thread.  I only have experience with spektrum.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:51 PM
seflyer
My Feedback: (12)

I have well over a thousand jet flights between my DX7/9303 then the 12X all with out any issues whatsoever. I am sure you will find 99% of all radio problems are user induced, usually poor workmanship and install practices. would trust my 12x to anything that flys.

Kevin
Old 11-06-2011, 05:57 PM
essyou35

I see, I have 1000's of flights on spektrum with my dx6i.  I recently switched to dx8 and have had 4 lockouts not.  Tonight it cost me a nice edf jet.  Before it always came back.

4 different jets, 4 different rx, one has a life pack.  Somethime is up.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:58 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Go JR.

I have over a thousand flights logged on Spektrum since the day it came out with my 10X and 12X. Most have been with jets and I have not had a single problem of any kind.

All radio's crash, that's just the way it is.

Beave

ORIGINAL: skydve76

Sure unless someone has some information for me I am not aware of, hence the thread. I only have experience with spektrum.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:58 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

As I've stated before, I'm STILL waiting for my first glitch with my 12Z. Lots of guys do OK with JR, too. Set-up is critical with any brand. If it really is Ford vs. Chevy, Futaba must be the Chev. "Like a rock."
Old 11-06-2011, 06:06 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Ding ding ding ding.

Take note please.

Beave

ORIGINAL: rcguy59

Set-up is critical with any brand.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:11 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

But when set-up means that the receivers outnumber the servos, something's badly wrong.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:12 PM
FenderBean

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

I have tried all brands they all work fine, just look for features you like/need and go from there. Jets dont use anything fancy. I like my 14mz since the programming is the best I have used and for me the programming is easier. The 10 is fine and I believe you can do software to make it a 14 channel, Its all personal, no way you will ever get a answer on this topic everyone has personal opinions.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:15 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you know that the 10CG has only 8 fully proportional channels + 2 on/off channels? A friend who bought one was really upset to find out that he had only 8 proportional channels. Unfortunately he let it sit in the box for about 6 months before he started using it, otherwise he would have sent it back. Futaba should be sued for passing it off as a 10 channel radio. It's not clearly spelled out in most of their advertising.

You'd probably be better off with their 8FG or 8FG Super that has 12 fully proportional channels + 2 on/off for less money (go figure).

I've been using JR ever since I got into the hobby and they've been relatively trouble free. I bought a JR 11X DSMX early this year and am very pleased with it. 11 fully proportional channels for about $100 more than the 10CG.

Joe
Old 11-06-2011, 06:24 PM
essyou35

Guys I am definately having issues with dx8 and it is NOT a setup issue.  Esp when the dx6i works fine.  I nearly lost an HET a-10 as it stopeed repsonding for 2 seconds, then today I lost my het mig-15.  Its enough for me to never trust it again.

I am hearing a lot about JR being ok so maybe I cant extend it to dsm2/dsmx but certainly something wrong with spektrum brand stuff these days.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:28 PM
essyou35

Very confused by this post. Do you mean that no all channles are tied to a proportionl dial? Thats normal, like on my dx8 either you mix a channel to another one, or tie it to an on/off switch.

What do you mean the 8fg has 12 proportional channels??????? Can it control 12 servos on different channels?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Regardless of what everyone's opinions is, and I won't say bad things about Spektrum (on Jr Radios or not) It has been proven that of all top brands available, their RF link is the least robust, if you want the best link available, use a Weatronics module on the radio of your choice, yet if you decide to go with Futaba, don't waste your money on a 10C, it is a nice solid radio, but the programming is not fit even to the most basic Jet requirements (I know, I had one and sold it a week after I bought it), go with a 12FG or 12Z, the 8FG is also capable of 14 channels, but I'm not sure if the programming capabilities are limited compared to the 12 or 14 channel Futaba radios.

While most Futaba users claim that the programing on the top of the line radios (12FG, 12Z and 14 MZ) is extremely flexible, and based on what I've seen, it appears to be true, JR's programming is more intuitive and user friendly than Futaba's.

Just so you have an idea, I use a JR9303 radio with a Futaba FAAST module and FAAST receivers on all my jets, not a single issue, NOTHING! since I switched over, yet when I used Spektrum, well, that's another story...
Old 11-06-2011, 06:33 PM
DougV

If I was you I’ll be going for the 8FGS, programming is more advanced than that 10C and you can do software updates with the 8FG not with the 10C.

I flew JR for many years; but I like the programming flexibility from Futaba radios.

Doug.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:35 PM
essyou35

Very confused, 8fg is more robust than 10CG?  hmm. 

In terms of prgramming all I need is 8 or mixes, being abel to mix any channel to any channel, apply an offset, and a mix rate, and be able to turn mixes on and off.

I really like teh flight modes of the dx8.

BTW Spektrum always blames it on brownout.  I disagree, I amuseing a LIFE pack on my habu 32 and I lost that one for 2 seconds last week.

The only brownout that happened is when I crapped my pants while it was locked out.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:36 PM
FenderBean

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

I disagree about the programming, but like anything else if your used to jr then futaba will seem that way and if your used futaba jr will.
ORIGINAL: Ruizmilton

Regardless of what everyone's opinions is, and I won't say bad things about Spektrum (on Jr Radios or not) It has been proven that of all top brands available, their RF link is the least robust, if you want the best link available, use a Weatronics module on the radio of your choice, yet if you decide to go with Futaba, don't waste your money on a 10C, it is a nice solid radio, but the programming is not fit even to the most basic Jet requirements (I know, I had one and sold it a week after I bought it), go with a 12FG or 12Z, the 8FG is also capable of 14 channels, but I'm not sure if the programming capabilities are limited compared to the 12 or 14 channel Futaba radios.

While most Futaba users claim that the programing on the top of the line radios (12FG, 12Z and 14 MZ) is extremely flexible, and based on what I've seen, it appears to be true, JR's programming is more intuitive and user friendly than Futaba's.

Just so you have an idea, I use a JR9303 radio with a Futaba FAAST module and FAAST receivers on all my jets, not a single issue, NOTHING! since I switched over, yet when I used Spektrum, well, that's another story...
Old 11-06-2011, 06:46 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: skydve76

Very confused by this post. Do you mean that no all channles are tied to a proportionl dial? Thats normal, like on my dx8 either you mix a channel to another one, or tie it to an on/off switch.

What do you mean the 8fg has 12 proportional channels??????? Can it control 12 servos on different channels?
That means that two of the channels cannot be used for any control surface, they are good for an on/off switch only. You could use them for retracts, speed brake, canopy, lights, or anthing that needs only two positions. The end points are not adjustable, the servos on those channels have only two positions.

I'm a JR guy, so I'm not familiar with all of the Futaba details. I suggest that you go to Futaba's website and read up on the various radios. I just wanted to make you aware that the 10CG is not a true 10 channel radio.

Joe
Old 11-06-2011, 06:46 PM
ddlstang
My Feedback: (2)

I have a 10cg, love it, but found out I ran short of options with it on a fairly simple set up. With thrust vectoring I would count that out.

I think you had another issue, I personally can't stand JR but they are very good radios and and very reliable.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:51 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

I disagree about the programming, but like anything else if your used to jr then futaba will seem that way and if your used futaba jr will.

I Disagree!! as you know about half the locals use Futaba and i did the vast majority of their builds/installs/setups the past many yrs so i've had extensive dealings with Futaba setup too, and it's nowhere nearly as straightforward and simple as JR

as far as Spektrum/JR, they aren't in the same ballpark IME. i've had 3 Spektrum module based JR radios with Spektrum receivers simply lock out and fly off, i've NEVER had a single glitch with a JR Dedicated 2.4 system (my 12x, others 9303/9503s) with JR receivers. it's like DeWalt v/s Black & Decker, they are both made by B&D, but DeWalt is quality, B&D is garbage.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:57 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

The 10C is like a updated version of the 9C but with the original 9C limitations. The 8FG is a much better choice and with a simple download becomes a 14 channel radio. Don't waste your money on the 10C.

Marty
Old 11-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

ORIGINAL: Ruizmilton

I'll agree to disagree with you, the fact is that user interface of JR radios is more intuitive than FUTABA's, of course if you are familiar with Futaba you'll claim it is... I never made a negative claim about FUTABA's programming, I wish JR Radios had the same capabilities, don't confuse flexibility with a friendlier interface...

You have stated you are new to jets, well once you are through three or four models you'll see...
Old 11-06-2011, 07:01 PM
essyou35

So it sounds like 8fg is the way to go.  Thahks for clearing that up.  Can the 8fg use the SBUS stuff?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.