Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JR 11x & Jets

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR 11x & Jets

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 06:30 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JR 11x & Jets

I have just bought a JR 11x DSMX transmitter. My previous transmitter was a JR DX9.
I am finding the 11x awkward to use, especially finding a suitable switch to use for brakes. The DSX9 has a spring loaded snap roll switch which was ideal for one finger use. The sliders on the back of the 11x (which I planned to use) do not come readily to hand.
Any advice on switch selection generally for jets on this radio would be appreciated.
No suggestions on changing to Futaba please.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:56 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: JR 11x & Jets

I use the left slider on the back from brakes. and the Tall 2 position switch on the top left side of the radio for gear. The 3 position switch beside that is use for flaps, or 3 position speed brakes if the model isn't equipped with flaps.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:24 AM
ddlstang
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mix the brake with down elevator.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:26 AM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mix brakes with down elevator, will save you the hassle looking for switches on landing roll.

Chatty.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:28 AM
c_makhija

Looks like DDI beat me on this.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes down elevator and futaba
Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Every time you use down elevator, you are using brake air.

If you mix the brakes to down elevator, make sure you disable the brakes when the gear is retracted, or you might find that you are out of brake air when you need it.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:21 AM
KC36330

quick question for the folks flying with down elevator for brakes, how do you apply part break on landing for a short field? kind hard to flare and hold down elevator at the same time.........
Old 11-15-2011, 08:35 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought a JR 11X DSMX early this year and have been using it all season. The only thing I don't like about it is the rear slider switches. My old radio is a 9303 and I prefer the sliders on the side. I found the programing to be very similar and that was an easy transition.

Brakes on down elevator don't work well on all planes. Some will have a tendency to lift the rear of the plane, especially if you come in hot, exactly what you want to happen for best brake function. I have my brakes on the right slider. With Mode 2 the right hand is free, while operating throttle and steering with the left hand, once you are on the ground. With the 9303 it was very convenient to have brakes on the right side slider, which I could operate with my middle finger. From what I've read in some of the threads it seems that those who fly with their thumbs don't mind the 11X rear sliders. Those that fly with thumb and forefinger on the stick (like me) don't like it. Once I'm on the ground I move my right hand off the stick to operate brakes with the rear slider. I didn't like it at first, but now that I'm use to it it's not a big deal.

Joe
Old 11-15-2011, 08:48 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: joeflyer

..........Once I'm on the ground I move my right hand off the stick to operate brakes with the rear slider. I didn't like it at first, but now that I'm use to it it's not a big deal.

Joe
not good for jets that require you to fly ailerons on the ground till they slow up to prevent wingtip dragging. i have a 12x, i use Aux2 (3 position) for brakes, seams the 11x has Aux2 in the same location, with the 3 position you get brakes off / part brake / park brake, you don't have to take your hands off the sticks to get it, you can also mix in a slider with it and have proportional breaking too.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:17 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

not good for jets that require you to fly ailerons on the ground till they slow up to prevent wingtip dragging.
I don't recall that being a problem. Putting proportional brakes on a switch defeats the purpose of having them proportional IMO. Usually I keep my thumb on the stick and move the slider with my middle finger, although sometimes when things are happening quickly I just go for the slider.

The 11X is a great radio. I just wish that they had kept the sliders on the side.

Joe
Old 11-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I went from a 10x to the 11x this past year. I just got used to reaching for the RH slide and after a hand full of flights is was no biggie. I even have one jet still on my 10x and have been able to go back to that without any problems. The 11x has been a real good radio so far for me and i have many jet flights with it.
Vin...
Old 11-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Jim Cattanach

Many thanks for all the input. A few years ago, I used down elevator for brakes & it worked fine for me. Having handled the transmitter some more, selecting the right rear slider may also be fine using the middle finger.
I also notice that the three position rates switches settings screen lists four positions, 0 to 3. I would have thought it should only show 0, 1 & 2.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Gary Szetlak
My Feedback: (13)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: KC36330

quick question for the folks flying with down elevator for brakes, how do you apply part break on landing for a short field? kind hard to flare and hold down elevator at the same time.........
You can also setup your mix so that either down or up elevator provides braking. The graph looks like a V. Then you can set the slider so that when it is at the the extreme off endpoint it requires a lot of elevator movement either way to engage brakes (for example when you are taxing) then if you move the slider toward the midpoint less elevator movement causes more brake engagement. You can also set the mix so that when you apply the brakes with the slider the up elevator counters that movement. Then, when you are on approach you set the brake slider and as you flare brakes are released, when you release the elevator from the flare the brakes are then engaeged. That way there is no time spent moving your fingers from the stick to the slider. All kinds of ways to mix the brakes
Old 11-15-2011, 10:51 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gary Szetlak

ORIGINAL: KC36330

You can also setup your mix so that either down or up elevator provides braking. The graph looks like a V. Then you can set the slider so that when it is at the the extreme off endpoint it requires a lot of elevator movement either way to engage brakes (for example when you are taxing) then if you move the slider toward the midpoint less elevator movement causes more brake engagement. You can also set the mix so that when you apply the brakes with the slider the up elevator counters that movement. Then, when you are on approach you set the brake slider and as you flare brakes are released, when you release the elevator from the flare the brakes are then engaeged. That way there is no time spent moving your fingers from the stick to the slider. All kinds of ways to mix the brakes

Holy crap that is complicated.. i just had to read it 3 times to somewhat figure it out.. full-scale's don't push down elevator or have all this funky mixing of the brakes with the elevator, and neither do I.. but thats just my personal preference.

Now i do like the idea of having a mix on a switch so as to apply partial brake pressure for short fields and then the slider for the rest of it.. but then again, whenever i'm going into a short field, i just set me slider about 1/3 of the way to activate some brakes anyways.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Pete737

Same thing here, I didn't like the position of the sliders at first.......and I still don't like them however, I have found that with some practice you can get it everytime. Eventually I didn't have to think about it anymore.

I fly thumbs and noticed that all I have to do was reach my finger as far as I could in the genral direction. The sliders the only thing back there..
Old 11-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

I hated the look and feel of my 11x when I first got it, now I fly DSX-9, 11x, DX-7 and DSX-12 on the same day and hardly notice a change. I don't even mind how it looks!. I use a std left rear switch for retracts on all but the DX-7. Left front face long switch for flaps. Brakes always on down elevator< if the tail lifts you are travelling way to fast to be using our postage stamp size tyre contact patch. Mix elev to the channel with brakes in, switch the brakes off gear up on the mix.
It makes the most sense as your thumb/finger is on the control...I have flown around 30 of my own Jets with this and another several hundred customers models, the same and it's never been an issue....

Dw
Old 11-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Pat Barnes

Hi Jim
I'm a new convert to the 11X as well. It took a little while to get used to the new shape of the transmitter, but I find that it fits my hands very well and the balance is great. Really like this radio! I use the right rear slider for brakes, finger seems to find it without too much trouble. The radio I used before was a the JR PCM9Xll. I'm sure you'll really start to like this radio as you use it more and more.
Cheers - Pat
Old 11-15-2011, 12:31 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

ORIGINAL: Jim Cattanach
I am finding the 11x awkward to use, especially finding a suitable switch to use for brakes. The DSX9 has a spring loaded snap roll switch which was ideal for one finger use. The sliders on the back of the 11x (which I planned to use) do not come readily to hand.
This is the reason I owned an 11X for about a week. I mix brake with elevator, but I also have brakes on a slider to use as a parking brake (as well a just another way to get brakes). My solution, though, isn't one you want.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:57 PM
carl.huxford125

Has anyone got any info on the new JR XG11, i was going to buy a 11X as they have dropped in price but if it is going to be replaced soon i think i will hold on
Old 11-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Selleri

The XG11 will be JR's own DMSS not Spektrum's so you might want to get the 11X if you have lot of DSM2 stuff.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:21 AM
captmilehigh

This is what I got on the JR XG11. Hope it helps

XG11 Key Features
DMSS Telemetry function
Analog trim version has a new line-up
XG11 transmitter has become a common for Heli and Acro.
Batteries for TX is LiFe(2F 1400 6.4V 1400mAh) and TX is included in charging circuit.
DC jack is same as XG8.
My List
Easy setting function(Wizard)
Touch select function (You can select the display icon by hopping switch, too.)
Advanced digital trim
Trainer jack
SD card slot
Graphic display with backlight function
Stick sping adjust
Throttle stick angle adjuster(Digital version : Enclosed. Analog version : Installed)
Short stick head for better operation (Red color anodized stick) Option short stick head can be used.

[System List]
MODEL SELECT
MODEL COPY/ERASE
TYPE SELECT
MODEL NAME
FLIGHT MODE NAME
TRIM SYSTEM
*[HELI]
[NORM] is added into Throttle trim in Digital trim version.(same as XG8)
*[GLID] [FRPN] Direction of Flapperon trim is added.(same as XG8)
STICK POSITION SW * Upgrade is under study
TRIM INPUT SW * 4 genealogy(same as XG8)
STICK ALERT * (same as XG8)
WARNING
DEVICE SELECT
* Trim(momentry, 2pcs & 3 position function) are added in Input divice.
[HELI] SWASH TYPE
[ACRO] [GLID] WING TYPE
TX SETTINGS
* â‘*Idle alert is added(same as XG8)
* â‘¡ON/OFF new function for Model link
TRAINER * SW Select is added(Trainer SW/LTRIM/RTRIM)
THRO STICK DIRECTION * New function from 11X Zero/DSX11
ALL SERVO HOLD
STICK MODE * New function from 11X Zero/DSX11
BIND & RANGE * (same as XG8)
TELEMETRY * (same as XG8)
FAIL SAFE

â—COMMON
D/R & EXP
* POS is extended to 8 genealogy.
POS can be changed at stick postion switch.
(6pcs. of SW SEL is added)
DELAY can be set up at 8 type at POS change.
TRAVEL ADJUST
LIMIT ADJUST
SUB TRIM
REVERSE SW
SERVO SPEED
PROGRAM MIX1-6
* â‘*P.MIX1-3 is not only normal fix but also curve(same as XG8)
* â‘¡Curve can be set up at 5 points in the middle.
(For DSX11, the curve has just 5 points but XG11 has 7 points, instead.Also, in the middle, the point is only 3 for DSX11 but XG11 has 5 points).
TIMER
MIX MONITOR
SERVO MONITOR

â—HELI
THROTTLE CURVE * Curve can be set up at 5points in the middle.
PITCH CURVE * Curve can be set up at 5points in the middle.
TAIL CURVE * Curve can be set up at 5points in the middle.
THROTTLE HOLD
GYRO SENS
* â‘*New set up function for TAGS01.(In the Gyro icon, DSX11 has only 2 selction, but XG11 has 3selection.
In the new selection, you can see Triple Axisdisplay icon and you can set up TAG01 adjustment in this icon.)
* â‘¡Trim input can be made(same as XG8).
GOVERNOR * Trim input can be made(same as XG8)
SWASH MIX
* â‘*PIT->AILE->ELEV MIX correction new function(same as XG8)
* â‘¡E-Ring gain new fuction(same as XG8)
* â‘¢AILE->ELEV, ELEV->AILE trim input new function are added.
THROTTLE TRIM
MIX to THROTTLE
FLIGHT MODE DELAY

â—ACRO
THROTTLE CURVE *Curve can be set up at 5points in the middle.
PITCH CURVE *Curve can be set up at 5points in the middle.
THROTTLE HOLD
GYRO SENS
THROTTLE TRIM
* [ACRO] IDLE ADJ. to be extended to 2 genealogy is studied(New).
FLAP SYSTEM * Trim input fuction is reinforced.(same as XG8)
SNAP ROLL
* SNAP ROLL ON/OFF can be selected by not only Snap roll switch but also trim lever.
Stick ON/OF remains unchanged.
DIFFERENTIAL * Trim input function(same as XG8)
AILE -> RUDD MIX
AILE -> FLAP MIX
ELEV -> FLAP MIX
RUDD -> AILE/ELEV MIX
* â‘*Trim input fuction(same as XG8)
* â‘¡Curve MIX function-up is studied.
BALANCE * New function

â—GLID
DIFFERENTIAL
AILE -> RUDD MIX
BALANCE
(This is also new function, like DSX12. Although DSX12 is just fixed point, XG11 has multi-point.)
FLAP RATE
MOTO SYSTEM
CAMB SYSTEM
BRAKE SYSTEM
* Trim input function is reinforced(same as XG8)
FLAPRON MIX
ELEV -> CAMB MIX
RUDD -> SP01 MIX

I have no idea on release dates though.I'm waiting for one myself.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:59 PM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

R/C Japan are giving late December as release date.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:42 PM
PHIL GREENO

Late December/Jan 2012 is when I get my 18MZ. Sorry guys but i cant wait.

I also have a DSX12 on my Carf Hawk so I am not totally biased.

As DW said just use brakes mixed to down elevator and have the mix switched off when gear is up to save air.

I cant be faffed with using a slider,too much to think about when on the approach.

Phil.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Jim Cattanach

After a few sessions using the 11x, I have now got used to using it. I am using the right rear slider for brakes, with the electronic brake valve set so the brakes come on with just a little movement of the slider.
I now like the Tx. It is very versatile.