Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bad Builder Alert

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bad Builder Alert

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 03:27 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bad Builder Alert

Sadly, I have to post that John Monaghan has turned out to be a complete disappointment and fraud. He never finished ANY of my projects. He held the F-16 and two other jets for over a year and a half and only found the time to paint a vert. fin, some primer on the fuse and a hatch. The body work he did was botched completely, hinges were crooked and poorly glued, cracks all over the fuse, paint dust all over the electronics (wasn't masked). This is the worst job I have ever seen. Moreover I paid him in advance so I lost ALL of my investment. He was also going to fix the Starfire (never touched it), and build my Tams F18 kit. He never touched that either. All in all the guy took me for over $5,000.00.

I reciend my recommendation of him and would strongly suggest that this community stay away from John Monaghan from Georgia.

Andy Andrews
Old 11-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bad Builder Alert

Looks like another happy customer of his.

http://john-monaghan.pissedconsumer....912261415.html

Billy
Old 11-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Billy

photo of him
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25877.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	1687532  
Old 11-16-2011, 03:50 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Andy,

Sorry to hear this happened to you!

Did you at least get all of your stuff back?

David S
Old 11-16-2011, 03:51 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which one Billy? The guy on the left or right?

Andy, That sucks, I'm actually pissed for you about that. Losing 5k in a theft of sorts, is a shot to the knees.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:54 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: Billy

photo of him
Which one in the pic?

Dave
Old 11-16-2011, 03:56 PM
AndyAndrews

Hey David,

Yes, I got my stuff back. I had to drive over 8 hours one way to get it and even then he almost wouldn't meet me because the only time I could meet him was a Sunday and he said he had to "go to church". Go figure.

IFR, it's the one on the left.

Andy
Old 11-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Billy

He's the one with the orange shirt
Old 11-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Shaun Evans

Andy,

Can you post some pics of the shoddy work? Sorry to hear about this...
Old 11-16-2011, 04:28 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I never understand why people don't build, you learn a lot and it's the only way to really learn.
I understand not having time, which is why I buy arfs. Sorry to hear your lose, did you ever see his projects before hand?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm real sorry to hear about this. But I believe you giving him 5K in advance was a very bad call. I'm not blaming you for the result but I think you could have hedged your bet by at least some sort of arrangement. I know there will be guys chiming in to say that's how it works, etc. But that's not how it works for me. So I would have never done business in that arrangement in the first place, and that's fine by me.

Small claims court for 5K? Civil lawsuit? You can do a lot on your own in this arena as there is going to be a very easy case to prove, in terms of work not being done. The shoddy work will be difficult to claim, you'll be out something, but you'll probably get a judgement for the "lack of work" in itself. I imagine that's a big chunk of the 5k. And yes collecting is an issue but you can put a lien on his assets once you have a judgment I believe. You may not get your money for a while but a lien is a HUGE hassle for people that they can't imagine until they get caught up in it. You'll get something out of it then even if it's just the satisfaction of having someone over a barrel in the future.

Talk about a major drag to someone's fun activity and a whack to the trust we have for our fellow modelers. Sorry to see someone have to go through this.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:19 PM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Sorry to hear this Andy, but thanks for posting. Aside from recommendations from friends and online, we as consumers, really have no way of knowing how good or reputable "professional" builders are? I'm very interested because I am in the process of communicating with a reputable east coast builder for my next jet.

While I do agree with "fender bean", some of us just don't have the time to build our own jets/planes...

Z
Old 11-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may not get your money for a while but a lien is a HUGE hassle for people that they can't imagine until they get caught up in it. You'll get something out of it then even if it's just the satisfaction of having someone over a barrel in the future
As a Real Estate Agent I deal with liens all the time. If you do get a judgement in small claims you can in fact file a lien against his home if he has one.
If he were to loose the home in a foreclosure the bank would have to clear the lien before the sale, which they will do.(pay you)
They will also use there lawyers to go after him and get the money back.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:29 PM
rcjetsaok

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is your man.... Anderson,Ga. .... Is he connected to Hodges Hobbies ???? Looks like it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFNtuBZSykQ

D
Old 11-16-2011, 05:36 PM
rcjetsaok

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the reason the B-29 is being rebuilt..... I wonder if John was the original builder that crashed.... Kinda makes you go, Ummmmmmmmmm

D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWbzId0vQGM
Old 11-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Andy

Sorry to hear about your dealings with him. Sounds like he continues to take advantage of well meaning modelers. I too, had bad dealings with him several years ago, money lost, lots of lies and project never started. After considerable effort, I did get back my kit but it cost me. A thread was started elsewhere in RCU re this character and MANY others experienced the same disappointments.

Sorry,

Dean Wichmann
Canada
Old 11-16-2011, 05:48 PM
AndyAndrews

To answer a few questions:

1. Small Claims court will do me no good. They guy is unemployed, his wife is unemployed and they are both on government assistance with three small kids. I heard from several people that he did really nice work. I had this F16 re-theme project and I thought it would be helpful to him and his family to pay him in advance. I will never do this again. This is one lesson I learned from this transaction.

2. I do build my own jets when I have time - just finished a new Global Jet Club F-16 that I am going to maiden this weekend - weather permitting. As a matter of fact I built this Skymaster F16 and it has had several seasons flown on it before I decided to re-theme it. Two KY jets ago I handed off this jet to John. I had several other projects in the fire and was hoping he could quickly re-theme this jet for me and also re-furbish some of the wear and tear over the years from gear up landings etc. I paid him $1,500.00 in advance for the re-furbish and paint job.

3. During KY jets the year before last John and Rex lost their Hawk. He was offered a deal from FEJ jets to help them replace the Hawk with a new Hawk so they offered him a two for one deal. All they had do to was come up with the cash to buy one of the kits (at a reduced price of $3,450.00 and some change) and FEJ would send them two new jets. Well, John didn't have the cash for that and again being the idiot, I fronted him the money for that because they would have lost two new jets and Rex could get his jet back and John could have one to build showing how good of a builder he is and he could use this to promote his business.

In return he was going to fix my Starfire, and build out my Tams F-18 (Assemble and paint - labor only). I thought, ok this is a fair deal plus the guy can really use the money to feed his family. Well what happened is he got the two jets from FEJ. He gave or sold one to REX and took the other one and sold it. I don't know what REX did with the other one. The deal was between John and I, not REX. But basically those guys got two free jets and I got nothing.

I guess I'm just an idiot for trusting someone like that and trying to help a guy when he is down. Lesson learned.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:50 PM
JRSmith
My Feedback: (47)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles with John. I bought a kit from him a couple of years ago and while I finally got the kit I bought, I waited three week for it to show up from Canton, GA. I ended up getting it two days after asking for a refund and the shipping date indicated it was shipped on the day I asked for a refund. I was told it shipped right after payment was received (i paid the same day i bought the kit) and he was checking with the shipping company. In the end I got everything I paid for, but was not very impressed with business practices and decided not to purchase from him again. john seems like a good guy on the phone, but not really sure were intentions lie.

Just my 2 cents, but a builder should not require full payment up front. I can only speak for myself, but 25% to start, 25%(50% total) at two predetermined build or assembly milestones and the rest upon delivery is what I do. Pictures should be provided during the build or assembly to ensure work is as the customer wants and expected.

Take care and all best.

Jason
Old 11-16-2011, 05:54 PM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Andy,

I am sorry to hear this and for your loss. He built a viper for me, (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98...tm.htm#9823666) even though it took a little longer than I expected I got my Jet and I thought he did a great job. In fact one of the reasons it took a while is he said he had to jump on that B-2 for hodges in that video. Im surprised this happened and its a shame..I talk to him from time to time, I just wouldnt have expected that to happen. I thought he would have got your jobs done..Sorry to hear about that..
Old 11-16-2011, 06:07 PM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: Helijet

Andy

Sorry to hear about your dealings with him. Sounds like he continues to take advantage of well meaning modelers. I too, had bad dealings with him several years ago, money lost, lots of lies and project never started. After considerable effort, I did get back my kit but it cost me. A thread was started elsewhere in RCU re this character and MANY others experienced the same disappointments.

Sorry,

Dean Wichmann
Canada
John is capable of doing nice work. In my case he just stopped. If I recall, I think you were one of the folks I pointed toward John. The problem with John is he had good intentions. They just never formulated into actual WORK.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:12 PM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: Helijet

Andy

Sorry,

Dean Wichmann
Canada
John is capable of doing nice work. In my case he just stopped. If I recall, I think you were one of the folks I pointed toward John. The problem with John is he had good intentions. They just never formulated into actual WORK.

Yes that was me, I wish had just buckled down and got it done for you. Mine did take a while, and from what I am hearing, luckily, I got it back..I hope he makes good in some way..
Old 11-16-2011, 06:13 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: Billy

He's the one with the orange shirt

hehe looks like a crack head
Old 11-16-2011, 06:14 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I learned my lesson with JM when you had to step in to set things straight, thanks Andy but so sorry, like most of us, you're just too nice it's all. btw, Andy can build!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:22 PM
AndyAndrews

When I picked up my stuff, Johns 10 year old son was helping me load all of my stuff into the trailer. John was in the shop getting some boxes and it was me and his son alone. His son said, "My dad really is a great builder isn't he?" Biting my lip, I looked at him and said, "Yes son he really is a great builder".

I will not sue John because it will take away from his children. I am a father and would never taint the love and pride that a child has for his father. Life will be hard enough for these kids and he will have plenty of time to figure out the real truth about his dad in his own time.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:41 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Your a good man Andy. Heck, drag that trailer to Houston one weekend and you and I will prep out your jets. Barry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.