Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

This just seems crazy to me

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

This just seems crazy to me

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:37 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default This just seems crazy to me

So for my next two projects I was planning to use the new SBus stuff but for jets these size the only SBus servo with enough torque cost over 200.00. I mean come on 200.00 for something so small, 140.00 is high but this just seem crazy to me. So then I thought well why not just use my 8711s with the decoder, so with 11 servos I would need 4 decoders. Well okay no big deal till u see the cost of a decoder, 60.00! plus that's 4 more possible failure points. Has futaba started following the oil company tactics.
You would think a new system would cost less to get people to try it.
I still have had no luck with finding people who use this system to get feedback.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:51 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: This just seems crazy to me

The S-bus is a cool idea, but theirs just something about multiple servo's running through a single electrical connection that stems bad vibes in my mind..
Old 01-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Selleri

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to set up a large jet with [link=http://powerbox-systems.com/e/powerbox_systeme/powerbox_cockpit-srs/start.php]this[/link] and two of [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXARPB&P=0]these[/link].

Mark(schroedm) has at least couple of jets set up like this.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:49 PM
FenderBean

It does save a bit of weight from lack of servo wires and it does have a clean easy setup, but one fault wire and u lose everything on the lead. Then if u use non SBus servos u have to use the decoder which splits into three leads again. I will probably just do a typical install since I think futaba is getting over priced. I love my futaba radio but servos I go for jr, best of both worlds i guess.
Does 220.00 for one servo seem outrageous or is it just me being a cheap a@$?
Old 01-27-2012, 10:28 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: FenderBean
Does 220.00 for one servo seem outrageous or is it just me being a cheap a@$?
IMO its a bit steep, then again I have problems spending $150+ on a servo but i do it anyways b/c i know i'm getting the best
Old 01-28-2012, 12:14 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know how large your jet is but why are you complicating things. Set it up the conventional way with receiver and Servos and battery. Or use 2 receivers and two batteries. Simple is best in my view. The largest Jet I have is a Jet legend F15 and a Skymaster T45 and both have just a receiver and servos with battery. Most of the pilots in my club also just use this system

Deno
Old 01-28-2012, 12:55 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Selleri

I'm going to set up a large jet with [link=http://powerbox-systems.com/e/powerbox_systeme/powerbox_cockpit-srs/start.php]this[/link] and two of [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXARPB&P=0]these[/link].

Yep, superb unit that allows the neatness and cheapness of the 3ch SBus RX but still allows the use of £000s of 8711/8911 servos I have as it simply decodes the SBus signal to regular output signals. Couple this with all the usual benefits of a PowerBox (signal amplification, dual packs, safe switch, channel isolation, channel matching etc) with the Cockpit's newer features like built in sequencer, assignable channel output, frame/hold counter and compatibility with Futaba, MPX, Spektrum & Jeti means its a setup I would comfortably use (and do) in any size/value jet.

M
Old 01-28-2012, 01:17 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: invertmast

The S-bus is a cool idea, but theirs just something about multiple servo's running through a single electrical connection that stems bad vibes in my mind..
There is nothing wrong with the principle. After all the radio link between Tx and Rx work the same way. It is not often Futaba are innovators so we should congratulate them when they come up with really good technical ideas like this. Of course when they then just see the idea as a money spinner....
Old 01-28-2012, 01:24 AM
Nhalyn

Hello all !

So, Mark, in fact, your S-bus part of installation is only the S-bux 3ch Rx that plug into an SRS Powerbox system. Outside of the PB it's "usual" one channel/one cable per servo ?

I'm thinking to do this for a next project, but it's not a real S-bus installation in the Futaba way... Only your Rx is S-bus.

Futaba way of installation was one rope goes to horizontal and vertical stabilizers, so only at this moment you have a decoder for classical servos or directly pluged S-bus servos. Same for wings, only one cable per wing and inside the wing you dispatch the signal to all servos here. That is a full S-bus installation and I've still not seen that in a plane.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:39 AM
schroedm

Yep, I understand that.

With £000s in top end JR servos I wasn't prepared to ditch them all and use a 'full' SBus setup. Plus, i want to see it adopted and proven a little more.

I've always used a Powerbox unit and 2 x 6014 RXs. That resulted in over £300 in RX and a mass of patch leads. Switch to the SBus RX setup meant it only cost £100 for 2 18ch RXs and 1 lead from each RX!! Couple that with the SRS unit and it was perfect for what I needed/wanted. This setup with the ultra reliable FASST and the future telemetry expansion of the 18MZ gives me a warm feeling inside and that's what you need when we're putting the price equivalent of family cars up in the air each time!!
Old 01-28-2012, 02:42 AM
fireblade5437

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using sensors and PLC systems using Bus systems for years in industry nothing new there Profibus, InterBus and Interbus S and CAN I could go on....

My point I dont like how Futaba have done their connections, they are using normal servo connector etc which we know is only rated a few amps real terms 3-5A and they think that plugging batteries in around their bus is ok, well it helps with voltage drop BUT when you cannot get capacity through the 22 swg wire and pins etc you will have problems.

The bus cable we use in industry is typically thicker than what you would have say for example for a sigle sensor.

In my view Futaba should have gone for a higher current rated plug/connector/wire for their BUS system period then you could still have batteries set in a local point and plug your servos anywhere in the sytem

On CAN systems in cars they have for their lights for example two 'thick' cables + and - at 12v that runs round the whole car and then all the interfaces for each module plugs in ie the left hand rear light cluster then the right hand rear light custer etc etc

Alan
Old 01-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Selleri

Exactly!
I choose the same setup for 3 jets here (used Weatronic 12-22 in these before), Mark assured me that it would work, and so it does
In my ES,UF and Sprint I'm using ordinary 6014 for now (used Weatronic Micro 12 before), I want to see some more "use" of the SBUS2 before I'm taking the jump (and when I do, it will only be because of the telemetry, I would not dare to use a single cable for all, what about power, connect multiple batteries down the line, how to switch them off ?)
The PowerBox Cockpit SRS and Competition SRS connected to two 6203 makes a very compact and neat installation (and redundant), and the PowerBox Cockpit has a very nice sequencer builtin.
(migrated all my planes from Weatronic/14MZ to 18 MZ and 6014's, 6203/Powerbox's)
Old 01-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

That is why I haven't gone back to Futaba. I was a Die-Hard Futaba user... BUT.....

1) they took too long coming out with 2.4

2) they wanted $100 for a basic park-Flyer Rx

3) the S-bus this is kind of nutz because of the way it's set up, and the price of the servos and/or decoders.

Personally, I don't like the S-bus. I do electrical engineering, and just like any other computer... a "Bus" system... such as I2C, or a Dallas one wire bus... you can get a slave device that gets out of sync, and responds to the wrong command.

With that said... I am thinking about getting a Super 8... but I'm not sure yet. (I have a small fortune in Spectrum/JR Rx's)
Old 01-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Selleri

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I first looked at the sbus system the power requirements for larger models made Futaba's proposed bus setup a big no no in my view.
I think the Powerbox SRS is the best implementation of the sbus system at the moment for larger planes, no need for decoders or sbus servos, plus all the Powerbox advantages Mark listed above.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:51 AM
FenderBean

Im using the champion srs in my jet but im not using the Sbus version. I didn't even think about that option I can use Sbus dual receivers and my normal servo setup. I agree with the above I know jets are not as bad as large 3d planes but I was hoping for a more beefy cable. Im guess for the system to take of they will get better designs
Old 01-28-2012, 10:48 AM
HenryRG

I like the Futaba S-Bus . Frankly working 24 cables into a Powerbox between 2 6014 receivers is not my idea of fun or simple set up. Just pluging in 2 receivers to the SRS seems very straight forward and I am putting all my 160 newton models onto the new system. Powerbox may do better out of it than Futaba but they still sell 2 receivers instead of one. I suspect that Powerbox will soon have competitors as the new system is much more practical
Old 01-28-2012, 02:03 PM
DavidR

Actually the S-bus concept is not a new idea. The same concept has been around for years in industrial control systems. Allen Bradley (Rockwell Automation) for one, has had device net for years and has been extensively used in far more complex applications than model airplanes. A lot of electrical contractors (myself included) had the same type comments when device net came out. The applications I've been involved with have been flawless. I'm not a Futaba guy but that's one of the things that has me looking a little harder at Futaba right now.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:19 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

FB, just curious what projects you are looking at that need a 500+ oz-in size servo? Just wondering.

Also, just and FYI. If you join towers super saver club for like 10 bucks, you can get 50 bucks off for every 300 you spend.

Marty
Old 01-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is sweet though I must say

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Hcew3H_ys[/youtube]
Old 01-28-2012, 06:46 PM
FenderBean

Its top secret you'll just have to wait and see
ORIGINAL: afterburner

FB, just curious what projects you are looking at that need a 500+ oz-in size servo? Just wondering.

Also, just and FYI. If you join towers super saver club for like 10 bucks, you can get 50 bucks off for every 300 you spend.

Marty
Old 01-28-2012, 06:48 PM
FenderBean

Marty
Old 01-28-2012, 08:32 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Marty
Let me see... Is it an FEJ B-1B with 4 P-200's?!?!

Bob
Old 01-28-2012, 10:00 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

DIdnt read the thread.  But I had the same thought fender bean.  SBUS servos are expensive and there is limited choices.  Then to use normal servos you need 1 decoder for every 2 servos except the last one.

Not cost effective at all.  Just buy 14 channel RX.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:06 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: JohnMac

There is nothing wrong with the principle. After all the radio link between Tx and Rx work the same way. It is not often Futaba are innovators so we should congratulate them when they come up with really good technical ideas like this. Of course when they then just see the idea as a money spinner....

You said it.. RADIO link. Thats like comparing apples and Oranges between multiple extensions and a single "sbus". I didn't make my comment to start a setup war, I just don't understand the principle (other than less stuff) to the SBUS when conventional servo extensions are IMO one of the most reliable items within our aircraft when properly installed to prevent damage
Old 01-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Robrow

ORIGINAL: Ron101

This is sweet though I must say

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Hcew3H_ys[/youtube]
Is The channel number fixed to a function or can that be changed?

Rob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.