Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Galeb G2 - new jet made in Serbia

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Galeb G2 - new jet made in Serbia

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 12:26 AM
mirce

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Here is the continuation of ...

I was working on the wing and made the right half also, compiled it and did a lot of "small works" ...

Under both halves in the same places I put parts of balsa, which give right angle for both wing sides...

I put the spars and the wing joiners into place (and still everything worked without adhesive) and measure distances ribs distance from working table on the left and the right side...

When I realized that everything was fine, I glued two middle ribs with white glue, again measuring the distances...

When glue was dry, I put and glued rear and front wing joiner...

It was followed by a break to allow the glue to dry, and I continued to work aligning spar and bayonet, in order to obtain an ideal surface for plates to close the box between spar and wing ribs ...

Ends of the spar was even, in place are plates for pneumatic cylinder for gear inner doors...

Old 08-26-2013, 12:56 AM
mirce

On this wing, same like on the first, some spars are a bit recessed into the wing ribs. This was done to keep the groove for balsa strips. Balsa is much easier to handle than fir in order to get the proper shape profile.

Next was working on some small details on the wing...

Dragan, guy who cut all parts on laser cut machine, bring me gear plates and front pin. Those parts was made from hard plywood. Every part was made from two pieces, because it's easier to laser cut machine to cut parts like that, because thickness of ply. Dragan glue at the end parts together...

After I sand down glue from the edges, parts was glued...

For landing gear plates we made few extra balsa parts for better and easier position of the plate in the wing. But, I used only one of those five parts, that one which have profile shape...
Different between this and plates for first model, was in holes on plates surface...

It need some time to fit plates to come perfectly inside of the wing...

To get right landing gear angle and same like on the first G2, I must sand down one corner of the plate...

Before gluing I check is everything OK...

Finally I glued landing gear plates. Now you can see that instead of balsa plates I put triangles...

Old 08-26-2013, 01:36 AM
mirce

Last step was install landing gears in position...

On the front of the wing I glued first 6x6 mm fir slats and on it 3 mm balsa on which will later come leading edge...

On upper side balsa plate which come on the top of the spars, for profile shape, was glued...

Now I measure wing in this stage. Construction is now much lighter, it's 1320 gr and difference in weight compared to the first wing is about 500 gr...

I bought light 3 mm balsa for planking and different applying of the panel lines will give much lighter wing than it was on first Galeb. Lighter wing will reduce, later, the need to lead when it is determined the CG.
I think that this wing will be about one kilogram, or 20% lighter than first one, and in combination with lighter fuselage and lead for CG total weight save must be about 2 kilograms...

To be continued...
Old 08-26-2013, 03:39 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mirce. Looking good on the build. Is this jet being kitted yet?? What turbine do you plan?
Old 08-26-2013, 03:53 PM
mirce

Thanks...

Sorry my English is not perfect, I don't understand what mean: "Is this jet being kitted yet"...

I'll use Jet Cat P 80...

Best regards

Mirce
Old 08-26-2013, 03:56 PM
hooker53

Mirce, That's fine on English. Ha. Ha. Can a person buy one of these to build like you are doing?
Old 08-26-2013, 04:15 PM
mirce

Yes, of course...

That is my plan, to offer this model in short kit form. I can made complete model too...

As you can see, this project was made from zero, first Galeb was more like prototype, show me where I can made changes and upgrade model.
I want to made quality kit and our advantage is, we have good 3D drawing of this model, so all parts of short kit are laser cut and fit very well. That mean, building process is very fast...

This topic can be used as manual...

Regards

Mirce
Old 08-26-2013, 04:20 PM
mirce

I forgot to say, short kit will be offer after first flights and tests.

Hope that maiden flight, of this model, will be at early spring next year...
Old 08-26-2013, 04:25 PM
hooker53

Good on the short kit. Will be watching you build this one. You are doing great.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Gonzalo38

Short kit..... nice
Old 08-28-2013, 01:22 AM
mirce

Thanks guys, hope you will not be disappointed...

Because construction was finish, next step was covering wing with 3 mm balsa plates. From my friend, owner of the hobby shop here in Serbia, I ordered balsa sheets, and asked him to measure every plate and send me lightest. When I got them I saw that every 3 mm plate is about 30 gr, very good weight for that thickness...

First I cover upper side, starting from the middle...

For guide I used middle of the front spar.

Balsa sheet is shorter than wing half, so I must extend them at the wing tip. I glued small balsa plates to made support for next balsa sheet...

Than come balsa plates in front and rear of the first one. Those which come in front I wet with hot water, to soft them and easier apply on rib shape...

Few small balsa plates on the rear end and wing was almost cover on the upper side...

On bottom side in flap area I made two pieces of balsa. They are easy to for set, because they lie on the exactly place on the ribs...

I glued plates for wing screws...

...and apply first balsa sheets on bottom side of the wing...

On landing gear plate, around of the place where gears come, I must made support for next balsa sheet. I glued balsa blocks and sand them to shape of the bottom wing shape...

Left and right of the outer servo plate I add small balsa plates also...

Old 08-28-2013, 01:27 AM
mirce

Next step was to prepare and glue first balsa plate for the rear of the wing. I decided to made it from one sheet and because that I must made it very precise... Anyway, here are pictures ...

Finally I glued them...

To be continued...
Old 09-16-2013, 03:57 PM
mirce

As I announced, first model of Galeb G2 find place in office of pilot from the real G2...

My friends help me to made stand for model...

Regards

Mirce
Old 12-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Mike_VI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what happened to Mirce? I came across his projects on the Panther and Galeb only yesterday, so signed up to follow and read every word so far. Seems he went silent after Sept 17. His own website also shows construction of the second G2 only up to this point.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 12-09-2013, 10:18 AM
mirce

Hello MIke,

yes a lot of time past from my last post here...

Unfortunately I wasn't work on Galeb since my last post. I made so many models in last few years, work on few project parallel, projects which was big and rather complicated, so I must slow down that rhythm.
To be frank, I'm weary...

I finish Panther and want to sell it...
Plan was to G2 replace F9F, but many things have happened in mean time.

For me biggest news is that my family and I will at next spring move in other town, so we now have a lot of works around that "project".
We bought big property, made new house, want there to start some new business...
Don't worry, new model work shop will be bigger than this here, but as I told, many plans and calculations "suck" my energy...

Martin, Dragan, Golub, involved a lot of work in Galeb project, so I must and will made it.
I was thinking that new Galeb will have maiden flight next spring, but right now I'm not sure...

Right now I want to finish Zero, that model is almost prepare for painting and will be for sale also...

After that - Galeb...

Modeling is like AIDS, one when you get it, there is no cure... Maybe you try to leave it, or made some break, but sooner or later again will come back to this hobby.
From my point of view, right now I made small break, but when recharge my RC batteries, I'll continue with Galeb building...
That will be soon...

Until that, best regards

Mirce
Old 12-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Mike_VI

Ah, Mirce - what a pleasant surprise to get such a quick response. Thank you. I was astounded that you started the second version of the Galeb so quickly - but I understood your reluctance to risk the first one on that grass airfield. Truly, I am surprised to see these valuable aircraft made to bump and bounce so regularly on these rough terrains - I don;t often see turbine models in South Africa flying off grass - always off concrete or tarmac if I recall.

Yes, I believe that I understand your reasons completely. As they say, "Life is what happens while you are making other plans". Regardless of that, I think your output is astounding in quality as well as quantity - absolutely top notch! Until you have the opportunity and inclination to resume the Galeb, I will enjoy your other projects published here and live in hope of seeing the G2 version 2 completed.

I trust that your new business endeavours are prosperous.I bought a decent size (60/80W, 800(X) x 540(Y) x 300(Z)) laser cutter as my retirement present - so am tempted to resume some flying modelling as well - it is about 10 years since I last built an aircraft but as you say it is an addiction. I like to play with electronics and kinetic "art" as well, so far my attention has been on acrylic and MDF in my cutter. But your work is certainly an inspiration and motivation, as many of your readers have mentioned.

Very best regards, since, like many others, I feel I know you just from these pages - and if we do not correspond before then, have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

Mike.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:32 AM
eric_monster

Good luck Mirce. Looking forward to your return.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:56 PM
mirce

WOW... THANK YOU FOR SO KIND WORDS...

You know, posts like this will motivated everybody to continue building...
So, after this text I really fill that my "batteries" is almost full charge...

All the best from Novi Sad, Serbia

Mirce
Old 07-17-2015, 11:31 PM
mirce

Hello modelers, after almost two years absence from modeler scene time is come to work on Galeb G2 again...

In meantime as I wrote earlier, my family and I move from Novi Sad to Senta, small town 90 km norther.
We totally change our life, bought big property, build new house and start new business.
Of course, I made new model workshop...
Few days ago, with my friends, we made "opening ceremony"...

What is plan?

As you know, one G2 in 1/5 scale was made. That model show where we can made some changes, two biggest, reduce weight and made better air flow in rear part of the fuselage.
Before we come here in Senta, I made almost complete new wing. Martin, guy who work on 3D drawings, rewrote almost all fuselage ribs.
Weight problem will be fix with using 3mm ply (instead of 4mm used on first model), different way on doing panel lines, using some lighter parts and adding more holes on parts for reducing weight. I think, with that changes from model can easily take down 2 kg, maybe little more.

Change fuselage ribs design will help to more air come in rear fuselage part.
But, biggest change will be in turbine and thrust tube. Instead of Jet Cat P 80 and thrust tube of 90 mm (with double wall it is almost as wide as hole on last rib), I'll plan to use now Wren 80 (or 100) which is more than 20 mm smaller in diameter. Thrust tube is smaller also - 72mm, but at the front, on bellmouth is just 82mm!!! Jet Cat's bellmouth was 140mm and cover almost all space inside of the fuselage...

Hope that changes improve 1/5 scale G2 a lot...

In meantime, I decide to made bigger Galeb G2 - 1/4 scale also.
All files we have, so no big problem to bring them up and "polish" for larger scale. Work on this project is already in progress so that model will be soon on worktable.
1/4 scale G2 is 2905mm wingspan (with tip tanks) and fuselage is more than 2500mm long...
Wing will be from three piece, center panel with two wing tips.
Same like smaller, this G2 will be wooden construction, plan is to use Behotec retracts and wheels, and 140 - 160 turbine.

OK, that's it for now, soon work on G2 project will be here again...

Regards from Senta, Serbia

Mirce
Old 07-18-2015, 08:05 AM
F86_SABRE

Welcome back Mirce....hope you will show us the 1/4 scale build as well....should be interesting....BTW ...nice big workshop.
Reuben
Old 07-24-2015, 02:22 PM
mirce

Thanks Reuben...

Workshop is slowly filled with parts. Few days ago wing and other parts come back...

I start work on parts immediately. First I glued balsa sheets for elevators...

Than I want to put elevator ribs on trailing edge, but unfortunately some ribs are missing.
Some other small parts are missing also, so I need to send file to my friend Dragan, to cut all parts on laser cut machine.

In meantime I send to Dragan file with all fuselage ribs for 1/5 scale Galeb and another file with ribs for three piece wing for bigger 1/4 scale G2.

As you know, projects like this depend from many peoples, so here is same situation. Many participants in this story you know from earlier.
One of them is Misha, who print plans in his firm. Yesterday plans for wing and elevator of the bigger G2 arrived...

Sorry for "nude pictures", but here is almost 40 degrees Celsius, so we use all to cool off...

On 1/4 scale plan I put 1/5 scale plan. Check a difference in size...

Maybe this angle will be better...

Because wing on 1/4 scale model will be from three piece, my friend Sava made glass tube for aluminum wing joiner...

Glass tube will be glue in center panel section...

A little close-up...

From carpenter who made before tools for tip tank for vacuum machine, I order it again. This time tool is for 1/4 scale jet...

He made tool for front light, but shape is not good, so that will be done one more time.

I bought back retracts and wheels from my friend. This Behotec set was install here before...

And for the end, from Frank Tiano I got box of ZAP glues... Thanks...

He put in box "Z-ends" also...

That's all for today...

Regards from Senta, Serbia

Mirce
Old 08-04-2015, 02:29 AM
mirce

Yesterday few parcels with parts arrived from Dragan, my friend who cut all balsa and plywood pieces on his laser cut machine.

That are just parts for fuselage for smaller scale G2 (1/5) and for three piece wing for bigger one (1/4 size).
OK, there are few parts which missing for elevator, rudder and some other circuits...

In meantime, while I waited for this, I made servo holders for ailerons and flaps...

For extra safe I always add small screws for wooden block...

This system I use on every my big scale model...

As I told, I got ribs for wing for bigger G2...

I put rib 1 on on the middle of the smaller wing. Difference in size is obvious...

Until I wait to get ribs for fuselage for smaller Galeb, I prepare template for ribs position.

For this model you don't need plan for work on fuselage, because ribs comes in slots on template...

I use template from my first Galeb, which have 4mm plywood ribs and now ribs are from 3mm plywood. Because that you can see small gaps between rib and template.
This pattern will be part of future kit and then slots will as wide as ribs...

Ribs shape are much different than on first G2. Outer shape are same, but inner are different...

Few more pictures about fuselage parts...

Today I'll start with work...

To be continued...

Last edited by mirce; 08-04-2015 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:13 AM
mirce

As I promised, not to wait long to continue...

Elevator moving parts.

Planks are part of laser cut kit...

For now I stop here with building this segments...

As you can see, no any plan is required. For this model plan is required just for wings...

Elevator is build with same technique...

Front part is not glue yet. I use it now just for better ribs position.

When all ribs are on place I glued front ply part...

On it, next come 3mm balsa for leading edge...

As you can see, elevator is still on work table...

In meantime I start apply various reinforcements on fuselage ribs...

Old 08-06-2015, 03:29 AM
mirce

Building fuselage I work in four stages.
First I work on front part...

When glue was dry I add small part on the bottom side...

This are ribs for front removable section. They come at the end of fuselage building. But, rib 1 I use for position fuselage front...

Fuselage central part...

At the end of the day Fuselage was in this stage...

Work on the rear end will be in next few days...

Before the bed-time, I've applied upper balsa plank...

Those balsa planks are also supplied in kit...

For gluing I use ZAP glue...

Stay tuned...
Old 08-07-2015, 09:23 AM
ausberges

Mirce,

Congratulations with your new workspace.
Nice to see you are working back on airplanes. I was missing a good teacher!!

Regards,

André

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.