Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JR 12X/Weatronic users!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR 12X/Weatronic users!

Old 03-13-2012, 02:57 AM
frankie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 12X/Weatronic users!

Hello guys,

It's been a while since I last posted, I hope you are all well. There is a small band of Weatronic users down under and I can honestly admit that I have had no problems to date, with the system performing flawlessly with no failsafes after many flights.

However this weekend past I experienced an interesting occurance and would be very interested to hear from those who may have had a similar event.

All JR12X users would be aware that once the unit is switched on the radio is not yet transmitting, and the user must select the "RF on" option for the unit to beging transmitting. For whatever reason my JR12X with a Weatronic module adaptor connected to the external 12 channel 2.4FHSS module via the patch cable would not allow the radio to transmit. That is, upon selecting the "RF on" option the lights on the Weatronic module would briefly light up and the unit would not power up. I checked all connections and everything appeared to be in perfect condition.

No matter how many times I tried the only outcome was a momentary blink form the module lights (leds) with the JR12X returning to the screen which gave me the option of 'RF on" or "Rf off".

The module has the same firmware version as all my receivers, and upon removing the micro SD card this fact was verified. I was unable to get the system to work.

I then removed my Weatronic module adaptor from the rear of the transmitter and replaced it with the original JR 2.4Ghz module which worked immediately. I removed the JR module, installed my Weatronic adaptor, hooked up my Weatronic module but still the system was non-fuctional.

I gave up and walked away. When I turn the JR12X on again around an hour later the system worked as normal.

I flew a "moderately" priced aircraft later that day with no problems, checking the log files after each flight.

I then flew a turbine equipped model with similar results. Everything worked flawlessly.

I must stress that I take every good care of my equipment and all gear, cables, etc appears to be in top working order.

I hope that there is a perfectly plausible explanation for all of the above. If there is anybody out there who has had a similar experience or can diagnose the problem I would love to hear form you.

Best regards, Frank

Old 03-13-2012, 04:05 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: JR 12X/Weatronic users!

Hi Frank,

I run Weatronic with my JR12X but, have not experienced this problem. My first suspect would be the patch cable as it is a known weakness.

Secondly, is it possible that you switched modulation somehow? If I remember correctly, when you plug the JR 2.4 module in, the modulation automatically changes to JR DSM, upon plugging in the 72/35mhz module, the modulation defaults to APCM. If the modulation was inadvertently switched or defaulted to APCM, the Wea system would not transmit as it requires SPCM or PPM to function.

You didn't mention it but, when you went back to the radio after an hour and it worked, did you happen to have switched to a different model aircraft or was it the same plane as before?

Mike
Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 AM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Despite carfeul attention to my equipment as well, I have found the ribbon cable loose or almost unplugged once...I check it each time out of the tx box now. Mine is on a JR 10X but I think the ribbon cable from the module to the antennae is the same.
Dave
Old 03-13-2012, 08:38 AM
olnico

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Patch cable.
Get a new one or weld it permanently.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:58 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Frank,

As noted, there are a number of Weatronics users who report a problem with the patch or ribbon cable. Check out http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_91...59/key_/tm.htm post 1371 onwards has some discussions and tips on how to cure it..

I have experienced this myself, and regularly change the cable.

Roger

Old 03-25-2012, 02:00 AM
frankie

Hello all.

First I must apologise for taking so long to respond, lifes other comitments means that sometimes RC can take a back seat.

Secondly, thank you to all those who contributed, the Weatronic system is not widely used in my Country.

I took your advice and substituted the patch cable for a new item which I had spare. This did not solve the problem.

Just to recap, the system would function correctly when I connected the original JR DSM2 module, however was non functional with my Weatronic system with the error manifesting itself when I would select the "RF on" option.

What I did notice was that my Transmitter voltmeter was near the 9.0 volt low warning alarm. Through testing/trail and error I have discovered that if the transmitter voltage of a JR12X is at or near 9.0 volts the transmitter
will not power up the Weatronic module, but only give a brief momentary flash of the leds on the Weatronic module. The only conclusion I have come to is that I was approaching the limits of the operating voltage of the Weatronic system, even though I was above the 9.0 volt low voltage limit of the JR transmitter, etc.

Can anybody support the above comments-or have you had a similar experience?

Once the unit was fully charged it performed as faultlessly as usual.

Regards, Frank
Old 03-25-2012, 02:24 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Multiplex tx use 6 cells so only supply 7.2 volts at most to the wea module, therefore I doubt 9V would be a low voltage problem for it.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:02 PM
David Gladwin

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Frankie, The Wea tx module will work down to 5v BUT it may well be that the 12X will not power up the module if the voltage is very low for the JR tx module (for which it was designed) so is refusing to power it up as a safety function. Not sure.

I am extremely careful with power supplies and have converted all my TXs to Eneloop cells with great success. Welded JR12X Eneloop packs are available from SinCity jets. They give much longer operating time and can be fairly fast charged.

Glad to hear that your Wea is working so well for you (as it is for me).

Regards,

David.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:55 AM
frankie

Hello guys,

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I apologise for the late reply as I have been busy with other committments.

I have performed extensive testing and can without any doubt rule out the patch cable. Replacing the cable with a new item did not change anything.

What I did notice was that once the voltage reached/approached the 9.0v threshold, the "RF on" command would not work, and the weatronic module would NOT power up. Putting a very brief charge into the transmitter pack rectified this situation. I performed countless flights after a full charge without any problems what so ever.

If there are other users of this system out there that can support the tests I have performed I would very interested to hear from you.

Best Regards, Frank