Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Warped ailerons on old CAI razor

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Warped ailerons on old CAI razor

Old 03-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warped ailerons on old CAI razor

I guess this question is gonna be for some of you old school jet guys as this airplane dates back quite a bit. Its seems as if my ailerons are warped on this jet.
If i line up the aileron with the wing on the tip, the root side aileron sticks up almost a quarter inch, and vice versa I line up the root side of the wing with the aileron
the wing tip side of the aileron is sticking up. Is this done on purpose maybe? I couldnt find anything in the manual about it. I figure if I line it up on the root side
it would induce some washout in the wing which would improve low speed stability some. Check out the pics im, ready for the maiden but not sure what to do?

Old 03-15-2012, 03:37 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Warped ailerons on old CAI razor

My Razor was the same way, I think the molds for the wing weren't straight right from factory. Either that or the wing had washout but the ailerons didn't have it molded in, not sure. I just split the difference between them I think, either that or I lined them up with the flaps. Didn't really matter, something in that particular one of mine was way crooked anyway and required a lot of aileron trim to fly hands off. Sadly, with an all composite wing (unless yours has the sheeted foam wing from the sport version) you can't do much about it.

Wicked looking Razor by the way, I still have a Raptor and I freaking love that jet!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Dieselman1220

Thanks for the kind words LGM, I found alot of your old posts on this airplane when I did a forum search. I was thinking the same thing just split the difference and just trim to see what it takes.
Any advice for flying this thing I balanced mine at 7" as that seems to be what i found was a better CG, I also have 70 degrees of flaps set. Im a little concerned about the tank capacity I think
including the UAT i installed im at 60oz and my AMT 180 is turned up a bit to 148k I figure 12oz a minute at full throttle so thats not alot of playtime Im thinking 4 minutes then set up to land
and I may have enough for 1 go around. Or do these planes just get to small to fast to fly around full bore the whole time?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:45 PM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Flaps can go to 80 degrees and will help on landing. Use flaps on take off or you might not rotate. I think I had about 30 degrees for take off on mine. Made bigger tanks for mine as well. 60 ounces is not enough for long flights
Old 03-15-2012, 06:26 PM
RC_MAN
My Feedback: (11)

Nice jet

I still have my partially completed. What did you use for the thrust tube? the one with the kit seems to have a large taper at the rear and is heavy.

Thanks

Peter
Old 03-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Dieselman1220

Sorry not sure about the pipe I cant take credit for the build. I was a total dumb ***** today and cracked the canopy on mine. Repairable, but the plane was pristine. Anyone have one laying around, I know finding a replacement is a long shot :-(
So I shouldn't worry about the ailerons for the maiden? And the manual only calls for 3/8" of throw I know it's a fast plane but
I'm afraid at slow speeds it may not be enough?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:23 PM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

As I recall the recommended throws were good.