Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Big Thank You to Peter Goldsmith from Horizon Hobby

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Big Thank You to Peter Goldsmith from Horizon Hobby

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 03:44 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Big Thank You to Peter Goldsmith from Horizon Hobby

I just wanted to give Peter Goldsmith two thumbs way up for talking the time to set up the gyros on my two Top Gun airplanes this week.

Peter is competing himself but took the time to set up two of my planes with some awesome settings on my 12X. Using the JR 370A gyro on my Cougar and Tucano. I've never had such a solid climb out on the Cougar before. Rock, rock solid. And, with the mixes Peter set up, you don't even notice that you have a gyro on the plane. Everything is set up via flight modes through the flap switch. More gain for take off and landing with take off and full flaps and low gain for high speed flight. An additional mix setting the dead band of the gyro fades out any gyro input when the stick is moved from center position so you are not fighting the gyro in flight.

I don't know it the correct gyro set up procedure is described anywhere, but one thing is certain. I'm adding gyros to all my planes after I get home from Top Gun.

Thanks again Peter... I know you helped a lot of pilots these past days and the flight results are very visible.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:34 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Big Thank You to Peter Goldsmith from Horizon Hobby

John,
I was noticing how nice you were flying this afternoon. Cougar looked great!
Scott
Old 05-02-2012, 05:54 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI John, that was great that Peter helped you out, but what would be really great is to get instuctions for dummies,why is their always a setupproblem.I am still trying to set up a JR 500A gyro, got it half#!## setup,but have always felt, instructions should be written for the average person. Seems their is always a snag, in anything to be setup.
Rcpete
Old 05-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete's a great person and HH is lucky to have him. They need to clone him for running the sales and service departments. See my post on how HH service could care less about keeping me as a customer today.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:54 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have to agree with J-C on this one. I used to think I had some idea about what was involved in setting a model up to fly well, or at least what I thought was well.... After all it is pretty much what I do for a living That was until these past few days at Top Gun. Long story short. I turned up with the wrong Tx for the two models that I am competing with [:@].
Pete helped me set both models up from pretty much scratch.. both of which are what I would class as complex models. Both of which I have flown a number of times before, and would have said before Pete got his hands on them, that they were pretty much dialled in. Well after a few hours with Pete ( That he gave up without hesitation, which when you consider he had his own models to work on and fly.. not to mention all of the other guys at the event that needed help ) both my models were ready to fly and start the setting up in flight process. In my head I am thinking that this is going to be a disaster, as I am looking ahead to at least 5-6 flights on each to get them anywhere near competition ready, which is going to be a real struggle seeing that the rounds start the following day. Well. Let me just say that he transformed both my models.
He set the radio up in a manner that was very different to what I would normally do myself, and I have to admit to being quite dubious, as I think like allot of us. I am a creature of habit, and have had a few models over the years, and found a sort of template that works for me when it comes to radio settings.
What Peter focused on was the way in which I had the gyros set up, and what he did was set both planes up ( Both of which are fitted with a gyro ) In such a manner that I really find it hard to tell that there is a gyro onboard. I would love to go into detail as to exactly what he did and how he did it, but I will be honest and say that my head is still spinning a little bit from all the info he has thrown at my poor little brain, and until I get home and start setting a few of my models up myself on the bench this way, I can't pretend to fully understand the process... Plus I would be writing for days, and I have rounds to fly today.
Just to drive the point home, Pete then went to set up a jet for a non competitor. Now this is a jet that I have flown a number of the type before, and whilst not a dog of a plane to fly... it's never been I would say is a favourite. When Pete asked if I would help out and make the maiden, I was not exactly jumping for joy I have to admit. Yet seeing as the owner had been of help to me, and in light of all the help Pete had given me, it was the least I could do. Once again, it was a total shock how much differently this plane flew in comparison to any of the others of the same type I had flown in the past. Despite the, lets say 10-15 mph wind, that was not dead straight down the runway... and despite it being the very first flight on this set up for that model... it just took off and from lap 2 or 3 I just knew it was a peach, and totally different to any of the others I had flown. In fact, I found myself rather sad when Pete told me it was time to Land, as I was having so much fun with it. I though that I would be rushing to get the model back on the ground and hand the TX back to the owner, instead I found myself kicking myself that I had not left more work to be done, that might require a few more flights just to make sure.

Anyway... let me once again say thankyou to Peter. Compliments don't come easily to me ( Especially not to a colonial ) However what he has done with my planes, and given the circumstances in which he has done it is a real help to me, and the way in which they fly now has totally changed my outlook on how I set up a complex jet with a gyro. I just hope I can replicate it on future models. The only drawback now. Is that I can't blame the way the models fly for my poor performance and scores at the competition [:@]

At this point I must also thank Dustin Buescher as he also took a fair chunk of time to help out in the process. As he sets his gyro's up very much like Pete. The good news is that Dustin is talking about doing some instructional videos for us simpletons that will explain the process and how its done. However..... That will be on "another" site

Regards Al
Old 05-03-2012, 03:38 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

+1.

I was at the Goodwine's trailer last night at about 9:00 PM and Pete sprawled in a chair said something to the effect of "Time to start working on my own stuff finally" and went to his T-33 to give it a final checking over. I saw him all day long running here and there helping quite a few people with their airplanes and setups...always with a smile and loads of enthusiasm.

He's like the Energizer Bunny...with a funny accent...LOL.

B
Old 05-03-2012, 03:47 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

He's like the Energizer Bunny...with a funny accent...LOL.
Funny accent? Peter hasnt got a funny accent! - John.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:59 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Looking forward to reading how those gyros are set up
H.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:02 AM
Geoff White

Hi Ali,

I would love to see what Peter did as I am still a beginner at using gyros in jets. I have one in my Hunter and I think its working OK but if there is a better way of doing it then bring it on.

Come on Dustin, get videoing!

Geoff.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:53 AM
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (360)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Can anyone PM me an email addy for Peter Goldsmith ? I have a few questions about the SM T-33.
Thanks-Mike O