Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox iGyro

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox iGyro

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 06:12 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts
Default Powerbox iGyro

New gyro from the very clever PB team....

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sq47833.pdf (974.7 KB, 187 views)
Old 05-07-2012, 06:30 AM
Geoff White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Powerbox iGyro

Now that is clever!

Any idea what 'GPS regulated gyro gain' means? My guess is that using GPS it can work out the airspeed and hence you can have variable gain depending on the airspeed?

Any idea on availability Dave?

Geoff.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:59 AM
Pat Barnes

Must be good. It's got an 'i' in front...
Old 05-07-2012, 07:04 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Geoff, that's my understanding. Looks great. If its as good as their PB units then the gyro market is getting a shakeup! I'll be running one soon hopefully.

Cheers
Mark
Old 05-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Geoff White

I agree Mark, and I will definately be having one to try out.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be interested to see how the wiring works.

If it is 'serial receiver ready' does that mean just one servo cable to connect it to an S-Bus setup?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Dave Wilshere

Oh, there is so much.

- Extremely accurate triple-axis MEMS sensor
- Special regulatory algorithm designed for fixed-wing model aircraft
- Three-stage flight phase switching
- Three axes distributed to five servos, each adjustable independently
- GPS-regulated gyro gain
- Integral delta mixer
- Can be installed in any attitude
- Graphic OLED screen with 128x64 pixels
- Ultra-simple menu-controlled programming method using the SensorSwitch
- SRS technology for use with various bus systems:
Futaba S-Bus, Spektrum DSM2/DSMX, HoTT, M-Link and Jeti
- Unrestricted channel assignment (channel mapping)
- Digital output can be passed on to an SRS PowerBoxsystem

The GPS helps with speed related control of the gyro gain....

No not single wire, but allows assignment of channels and gain control.

Two modes...

Heading mode: This mode is active when the transmitter stick is at the centre position of the control surface. In this centre position range the iGyro maintains the last attitude defined by the operator at the transmitter.
A concrete example would be elevator control in knife-edge flight: the iGyro eliminates the need to apply down-elevator to correct the influence of the model’s Centre of Gravity, i.e. no elevator control commands are required.

Normal or damping mode: this mode is active when the transmitter stick is moved away from the centre position of the corresponding control surface. In this mode the iGyro simplyhas the effect of damping external influences.
An example of this would be a gust of wind, which would normally cause the model to deviate from its course, but the gyro counteracts the unwanted movement either entirely or to a great extent, depending on the gyro gain setting selected by the user.

Dw

Available any day....

Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Dave Wilshere

The PowerBox iGyro can be connected to an optional GPS sensor with the purpose of passing speed data to the gyro.

TheGPS Sensor supplies data regarding the model’s speed to the iGyro at a rate of twice per second, this allows the gyro to adjust its gain constantly to suit the actual flying speed; an effect which is particularly important when you are flying a model with a very broad speed range.

Gyro systems which are not speed-compensated in this way can only be set to a low gain setting, because the model would otherwise tend to oscillate at high-speed. Reducing the gain to overcome this problem reduces the gyro’s stabilising effect at low speed, e.g. on the landing approach. However, fixed-wing model aircraft are particularly susceptible to gusts of wind and propeller torque effects at low speed, and high gyro gain is desirable for precisely this reason.
The effect of the GPS sensor can be adjusted to any of six levels for each axis, so that maximum gyro effect can be obtained in fast and slow flight alike.

Cool heh

Dw
Old 05-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Dave Wilshere

Spektrum system, without PowerBox power supply system:

Up to three satellite receivers can be connected to the iGyro. The servos for 2 x aileron, 2 x elevator and 1 x rudder are plugged directly into the iGyro. An additional receiver is required for extra channels, such as throttle or choke. Only DSM2 or DSMX satellites may be used, i.e. those specified with 2048-step resolution. If you are not sure, the operating instructions supplied with your receiver will state this value. Power is fed to the iGyro through two patch-leads connected between two vacant receiver channels and the iGyro. The power supply for the system as a whole should be connected to the receiver.

Do not use any mixers!
It is essential to disable any mixers which automatically apply elevator trim compensation to rudder or landing flaps, and also any rudder - aileron mixer (coupled aileron / rudder).
Exponential functions can be set up in the usual way. You may find it necessary to reduce these settings slightly at a later point, once the gyro is active, since the gyro effect has a slight counteracting effect on the control surface function when control commands are small. This characteristic diminishes with increasing stick travel, and is reduced to zero at full travel.

Note:if your model features other superimposed functions, such as camber-changing flaps and ailerons, please note that the iGyro does not work in Heading mode when the flaps are deployed; in this case the gyro system only operates in Normal mode, since the transmitter control is no longer at the centre point to which the gyro is calibrated when the system is initially switched on.

While the gyro is switched off, its direction of effect is irrelevant. The first step is always to test-fly the model in Flight Mode 1, with the gyro effect switched off.

Once the model has landed, the iGyro must learn the new trim values and travel end-points. With the motor stopped, select the first point ZERO GYROin the iGyro menu, and refrain from touching the model. The iGyro waits for a few seconds, then carries out a RESET; the delay gives you sufficient time to release the switch, so that the result is not falsified by any external movements. The RESET is completewhen the solid disc cursor reverts to a hollow circle. During this “Zeroing†process the gyro accepts the new stick centre points, and resets the end-points of travel. At the same time any Offset values are calculated for the MEMS sensors. When you move all the control functions to their end-points in both directions, the gyro automatically detects and saves the new values.

Techno bods are going to love this...
Old 05-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Dave Wilshere

Selecting the wing type

The iGyro features an integral delta mixer. This makes it possible to exploit the advantages of heading-lock gyro stabilisation on aileron and elevator even with a model delta! This mixer can be activated in the GENERAL SETTINGS menu point. If your model is a delta, simply select YES at the DELTA-WING point.

Caution:if your model is a delta, you must not set up a delta mixer at the transmitter. The iGyro carries out the mixing.

The iGyro analyses the aileron and elevator signals from the transmitter, calculates the deviation according to the sensors, and generates the signal for both delta control surfaces (elevons).
The mixed delta signals are available at the AILERON-A and ELEVATOR-A outputs. AILERON-A should be assigned as aileron, and ELEVATOR-A as elevator, as described under point 4.6.
In this case ELEVATOR-B is available for vector control or a canard system, and can be set up independently.

Cool
Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 AM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Sweet Dave! So lemme get this straight.. I have ONE gyro that can control the servos for ailerons, rudder, and or elevator?
If so, Awesome!

Z
Old 05-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Dave Wilshere

All three...yes.

Dave
Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Jamie C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow!! that is good!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:23 AM
fireblade5437

Looks good! just on a side line my Weatronics Micro 12 has three gyros in a box same size as a R6014HS Rx! Currently around 298.00 euros

Alan
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Dave Wilshere

There are several three gyro systems available, none anywhere near like this one...

Dave
Old 05-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Paul0088

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pat Barnes

i was thinking that
Old 05-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Paul0088

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like its going to be a winner Dave
Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Xantos

Sounds good Dave,
Added to my shopping list at Jetpower 2012

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

Selecting the wing type

The iGyro features an integral delta mixer. This makes it possible to exploit the advantages of heading-lock gyro stabilisation on aileron and elevator even with a model delta! This mixer can be activated in the GENERAL SETTINGS menu point. If your model is a delta, simply select YES at the DELTA-WING point.

Caution:if your model is a delta, you must not set up a delta mixer at the transmitter. The iGyro carries out the mixing.

The iGyro analyses the aileron and elevator signals from the transmitter, calculates the deviation according to the sensors, and generates the signal for both delta control surfaces (elevons).
The mixed delta signals are available at the AILERON-A and ELEVATOR-A outputs. AILERON-A should be assigned as aileron, and ELEVATOR-A as elevator, as described under point 4.6.
In this case ELEVATOR-B is available for vector control or a canard system, and can be set up independently.

Cool
Old 05-08-2012, 12:58 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The all new PowerBox iGyro will make its first appearance in the public at the JoeNall 2012 event ,
where 10 to 15 units might be available for the lucky ones to be there![X(]

...for the ones are not aware,PowerBox Systems GmbH is currently the only RC electronics manufacturer, which is officially licensed and regulated under DIN ISO 9001:2008 industrial norm.As a result of this award certification of development and production, PowerBox Systems GmbH covers there products with a 3 year guarantee.[8D]

Old 05-08-2012, 02:18 AM
Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: Paul0088

ORIGINAL: Pat Barnes

i was thinking that
Wonder do apple own the "i" use?

Looks a real clever piece of kit
Old 05-08-2012, 02:54 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Does it do separate rudder and steering servos?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:27 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

"i" stands for "Intelligent" and no one can own it...you must earn it ,and IMHO PowerBox did it this time and we all going to enjoy this benefits [8D]

HarryC the iGyro can be used with the PowerBox CompetitionSRS for example and then yes you can have separate rudder and steering output

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26706.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1760387  
Old 05-08-2012, 06:41 AM
schroedm

George,

I THINK Harry was asking if you can have the rudder axis gyro working on the nose steering and rudder in a scenario where you 'disable' the nose steering when gear is retracted (i.e. with rudder/nose steering on separate channels)

???

Cheers,
Mark
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: schroedm

George,

I THINK Harry was asking if you can have the rudder axis gyro working on the nose steering and rudder in a scenario where you 'disable' the nose steering when gear is retracted (i.e. with rudder/nose steering on separate channels)

???

Cheers,
Mark
That's correct Mark. It looks as if the rudder output has to be split by Y lead or electronic box to the steering servo so they both get the same gyro all the time.
H.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Fortune7

As with all Powerbox stuff I'm sure it'll be a winner, but I'm intrigued how the GPS/gyro gain will compensate in big vertical manoevers, where the GPS can't be expected to give an accurate groundspeed. Surely input from a pitot-static airspeed sensor would be a bit more robust or have I missed something?
Certainly not product bashing but having set-up a roll - gyro accurately (Weatronics Micro 12 / gyro III) the wing wobble comes in very quickly if gain is too high for the airspeed. In a vertical dive which with a jet can be a few seconds, just wondering how the 'smartness' can sort that out.

Cheers, Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.