Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spektrum/JR CF receivers?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spektrum/JR CF receivers?

Old 05-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Mark Basel
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum/JR CF receivers?

Anyone using Spektrum/JR Carbon fuse remote receivers? I am flying DSMX in my Firebird and am getting really high frame losses with a few fades and no holds. It was suggest to me toinstall a couple of carbon fuse remote recievers. Anyone have experience with these remotes good or bad?

Old 05-17-2012, 12:10 PM
coops3d

Default RE: Spektrum/JR CF receivers?

I think you need to use the carbon reciever as well as the satelites, I have the Spektrum AR9300 along with 2 carbon remotes in my all carbon Vario Airwolf with absolutely no issues
Old 05-17-2012, 01:04 PM
rhklenke

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: coops3d

I think you need to use the carbon reciever as well as the satelites, I have the Spektrum AR9300 along with 2 carbon remotes in my all carbon Vario Airwolf with absolutely no issues
Not to bash, but he's going to go *much* farther out with the Firebird then the heli and his frame losses are likely at their peak when he's furthest away, so his results with the Carbon receivers is likely going to be different.

Frankly, I'd find a way to temporarily mount the receivers outside the fuselage and take a couple of slow laps around the patch and see if that helps before I'd dump more $s on new receivers...

Bob
Old 05-17-2012, 01:38 PM
coops3d

I agree but they are not just made for Helis, the twigs on these are meant to be routed to the outside of the aircraft via small moulded exits, I've range tested mine and got as far away as 200yds at lower than ground level.
It's only my experience of course. But it is a specifically produced receiver that has to be used with the carbon satelites for use on all carbon aircraft.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:49 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote from Spektrum website regarding the carbon fuse remote receivers:

Compatible with all Spektrum DSMX aircraft receivers that utilize remote receivers
Old 05-17-2012, 02:01 PM
coops3d

Again I agree
but that will only give him 2 antenas outside the aircraft, with the AR9300, as I suggested would be a better option, making 3,
In the setup the OP suggests, his main receiver would not really be receiving anything due to the carbon fuse shielding the antena.

[8D]

Old 05-17-2012, 02:42 PM
joeraf
My Feedback: (6)

With DSMX, fades are no longer valid indicators of good or bad receiver placement. This is due to the addition of frequency hopping to the DSM architecture. If you have moved from DSM and are seeing higher frame losses using the same receiver placement, you could benefit using a carbon "satellite" or two to place the antennas further from carbon or metal components.

I did this with a Powerbox Royal Spektrum setup in my flite metaled BVM F-100. Although it is a DSM system I saw very high fade numbers and higher than normal frame losses. Replacing two of the original receivers with the carbon receivers and placing the antennas outside the fuse, brought frame losses to more acceptable levels.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Mark Basel

Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated. I am running a JR1222X receiver so i have four remotes or satellites going. All are well into the 2-800 range of antenna fades but I only had ahigh of 23 frame losses and zero holdson my last flight. I hate dropping namesso with that saida very reputable JR rep has advised meanything under 100 fades is acceptableso I believe I am doing well there which is the key for DSMX. I was getting some major distances away from myself so that may be some of the issue but I felt no performance degradation at all.

Mounting a pair of remoteson the outside of the fuseis an interesting idea I had not thought of, Just need some crazy strong double sided tape or duct tape to keep them in place I am mainly concerned about the CF remotes and their performance. I have not read anything bad about them but just want to be 100% sure they are ok to use with turbines and the speeds we fly at. I would like to see all of the remotes around 200 or so even with them not being players in the DSMX world.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:22 AM
SkyKnight
My Feedback: (67)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same concern. I am running a 122iX in a SkyMaster FA/18F. My RIGHTremote recorded 999 with overall fades recorded to be 7 fades. The suspect remote is mounted with the antennas length-wise and clear of any CF. I've only flown once as it is my practice to post flight inspect the plane and fine tune accordingly. One of the other remotes recorded 455. These numbers are uncommfortable to me. I just finished scanning Horizon, JR, and spectrum web sites for more info about the X system. All I could find was intro info. So Mark, I'm on HOTSTANDBY with ya on this one. please odn't feel I'm hyjacking your thread. I'm following your same concern, just different planes. Maybe the Horizon folks can publish a service bulletin or advisory publication of some kind. I feel like we are left in a position of blind faith.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:48 AM
joeraf
My Feedback: (6)

From spektrum flight log instruction sheet.

Guidelines for DSMX
• Holds—Holds are unacceptable. If a hold occurs, please investigate and correct
the issue before next flight.
• Frames—<100- In conventional models during a 10 minute flight, frames
should typically be less than 100 on all receivers.
• Fades—Use Fades for comparison only. All attached receivers should have
similar Fades. If not, investigate poorly performing receivers (location, antenna
orientation, etc) and correct.

I will normally see 999 fades on one or two receivers in the Ultra using DSMX. However, I am comfortable with this as frame losses are usually in the zero to 10 range.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:06 AM
PHIL NUZA
My Feedback: (19)

I have been using carbon remotes on all my jets have had no problems.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sq47884.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	1763737   Click image for larger version

Name:	db84154.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	1763738  
Old 05-18-2012, 10:00 AM
coops3d

Hi Phil
are you using the AR9300 or another JR/Spektrum and how many satellites?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:47 AM
PHIL NUZA

JR 1222X and 1222 DSM2 I am using at least one carbon remote on all. It started for me with my F-100 finished in flight metal I was not comfortable with the numbers (DSM2) so I tried the carbon remotes and was very pleased with the results. I am currently using two carbons and two satellites in the F-100.
Now even if I have a remote I can’t find a good home for I will consider using a carbon remote.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:07 AM
SkyKnight
My Feedback: (67)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Phil, Hope to see ya again in Maine this coming Sept. !! About the carbon remotes, are they offered in DSMX or are they just compatible with the DSMX? Also, I was just watching this video by John Redman, http://www.horizonhobby.com/article/...mote-receiversduring which at the 9:57 mark he syas X numbers in the 200 -300 are acceptable on the X receivers. Am I understanding this correct? I realize I am still way off at 999 with 7 fades.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:42 PM
PHIL NUZA

The Maine event will be great this year definitely looking forward to it.
You can get the carbon remotes for DSMX or DSM2 just remember there not compatible. When I converted over to DSMX I was surprised to see how high the fades were. But it all makes sense DSM2 was hopping between 2 channels and DSMX is hopping between 23 channels the fades will be much higher.
I get high numbers on all the remotes (888,999) very similar that’s what is important. The frames and holds are what you need to lookout for. If my frame losses stay below 10 per flight with no holds I feel good and I typically fly way out there.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Mark Basel

Thanks everyone for the help! I am comfortable installing a couple CF receivers, now I could use some advise on placement...

As of now I have 2 receivers mounted on each side of the fuse about even with the pilot on my FB. They are 45 degrees from horizontal and 90 degrees from one another per Spektrum/JR. I have one mounted in the nose gear wheel well on a bulk head that isin front of the retract with the antenna whiskers pointed to each side of the fuse and one mounted on top of the bypass in front of the stabilator servo with the whiskers running length wise with the fuse.

I have considered mounting the receivers in the outboard wing panels but have been advise not to as this is well over the 36" max length of the extentions, any one running antennas extentions longer than 36 inches? Otherwise I the two candidates couldbe the two mounted onthe fuse sides and runningthem externalusing afairingmount.Thoughts?

Thanks again for the help

mb
Old 05-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Mark & ALL,
See my post entitled "Spektrum Glider Guiders" located on the RC Glider forum of RCU, about halfway down the first page. It's a GREAT package deal if you decide to install these receivers and have the DSM 2 protocol.
Art ARRO
Old 06-05-2013, 05:34 PM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it absolutely necessary to have thecarbon fiber fuse remotes exit the airframe?

Any issue withputting one inthe nose with the tip of theantenna way out at the tip of the nose coneto beas far away from the air tanks &batteries as possible? Or evenanother one vertically going up into the top ofa canopy?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:16 PM
chrigui

i replaced original satellite with carbon fuselage version..

AR12010 RECEIVER