Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Brakes, lube or no lube, flatspotting tires, etc

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Brakes, lube or no lube, flatspotting tires, etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 04:46 AM
S_Ellzey

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Brakes, lube or no lube, flatspotting tires, etc

Another thing you can do to reduce the chance that the wheels lock up is to pull UP elevator as you apply the brake. This will increase the down force on the main wheels making it harder for them to lock up.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:57 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: S_Ellzey

Another thing you can do to reduce the chance that the wheels lock up is to pull UP elevator as you apply the brake. This will increase the down force on the main wheels making it harder for them to lock up.
In my experience, if you are still traveling fast enough to actually need brakes, pulling back on the elevator will cause the plane to become airborne again.
If not recovered immediately it's likely to stall quickly and do some real damage..
Old 10-31-2012, 07:27 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya, that reminds me of full size and hate it when it happens. There if we're skidding down the runway the remedy is let up on the brakes a little then re-apply. Been doing that as recommended by my buddies for these jets with some success.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:17 PM
S_Ellzey

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: wfield0455

ORIGINAL: S_Ellzey

In my experience, if you are still traveling fast enough to actually need brakes, pulling back on the elevator will cause the plane to become airborne again.
If not recovered immediately it's likely to stall quickly and do some real damage..
In my over 20 years of experience in flying model jets I have never had the nose wheel lift back off once the brakes where on. If you have ever hit the brakes while driving a car you know that the nose goes down, same thing happens in an aircraft, pulling up just helps move the weight back to the mains. If you can get the nose back up your not using much brake, in which case your not trying to stop very hard to begin with.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:01 PM
jetnuno

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi

I use brakes mixed with down elevator and have lubbed with silicon grease the o-rings in the hubs. Nice and smoth braking. make sure you use silicon based grease, not to damage the rubber

Having brakes mixed with down elevator gives me more positive control over the brakes. If you apply brakes at the right speed, even with full down elevator, the plane won't lift the tail (specially an F18). I always let it roll for some meters to loose speed and only then apply brakes. Using a slider, is way out for me because I don't feel I should have a fine control over brakes, but of course, to each it's own.

Using this method I can manage arround 80-90 landings with the same main gear tires and with a fine wear pattern of the tires.

good luck

Nuno

Old 10-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lube the RUNWAY Sorry..

I dont have any advice. I fly mainly off of Sod feilds, but this year I spent a lot of time on paved runways and cant believe how hard it is on the tires. Im going to take some advice given here and lube the brakes
Old 11-01-2012, 12:44 AM
skywarrior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI,
here is the Festo address for demand valve info

https://www.festo.com/cat/en-gb_gb/d...R-MA-LL_EN.PDF

I used the first on the page without the regulator gauge and put my gauge separately for installation reasons. IN UK £14 appx
Regards

David
Old 11-01-2012, 01:51 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

We have a new guy here learning this same lesson! LOL!

I say lube the brakes and hit the slider a few times. I.E. as you are slowing down, brake on, brake off, brake on, brake off.....etc...
Old 11-01-2012, 02:03 PM
dbsonic

friggen new guy : )
Old 11-02-2012, 09:21 AM
extra 300

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Brakes on the snaproll switch is the easiest nd most effective system ihave used so far.... it the closest thing to ABS braking!!!!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:39 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: extra 300

Brakes on the snaproll switch is the easiest nd most effective system ihave used so far.... it the closest thing to ABS braking!!!!

This is what I do and in the plane the little 10 dollar push button brake valve is pressed by the retract servo arm with a mixer in the TX.

One channel for retracts and brakes. But you HAVE to lube the brakes!!
Old 11-03-2012, 06:20 PM
JoeEagle
My Feedback: (26)

Ouch Goose!! that was harsh!

well, since i killed that plane at KY Jets i'll never know. But, i DID NOT put the recommended 10 feet of coiled airline downstream of the brake, so i'll have to try that on the next one.

on the UltraFlash, i dont have the same problem but i am using the Behotec gear/brake combo valve. its all or nothing (no proportional braking) but it seems ok. i am not sure if it has the same tires as the Elan, i think that they are both Intairco wheels/tires.

on the next plane i may just go back to the SmoothStop.

cant believe flying season is over, but it was fun flying the little Mig-15's down at Winamac wasnt it Goose!

those little dudes are pretty fun.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JoeEagle

But, i DID NOT put the recommended 10 feet of coiled airline downstream of the brake, so i'll have to try that on the next one.
That was most likely the problem. I had the same "aggressive brake" issue even with lube on one plane and when I investigated I re-read the instruction I added the extra air line (the little note about the extra length of air line seemed easy to me to miss!!). Problem solved. Smooth brake applications and excellent partial brake performance with zero air leaks and very little air use for the brake action given. I use about 85 psi so as to limit locked brakes and it still seems like I have lots of stopping power but... Mileage may vary, etc...