Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Question/ help from Horizon reps

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Question/ help from Horizon reps

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:04 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question/ help from Horizon reps

Could someone point me in the right direction regarding who to talk to at horizon about possible upgrade of the firmware in my JR12xMV. I want to talk to someone who knows the firmware in this radio inside out. I'm trying to avoid a call to Horizon service and going through endless numbers of people explaining my story over and over to someone who is dumbfounded by the question.

So you know what I'm after, I have 2x JR 12xMV's. There is a JR DMSS module available or becoming available that will work in this radio. The module uses the PPM interface which in the 12xMV software means you will only have 8 channels. The "worldwide" version of this radio, the PCM12x will give you the 12 channels in PPM so, I know the firware is out there.

Can Horizon do this update for me?

Regards,

Mike
Old 06-15-2012, 03:36 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Question/ help from Horizon reps

I will check Mike. My first guess would be no. The reason is you are comparing 2 entirely different radios. The DSM2/X version and the DMSS have entirely different RF decks. My first guess is a firmware that works with one will not work with another. I will check with service and find out.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:53 AM
luv2flyrc

Hi John, Thank you very much for the offer to follow up on this for me.

My thought was, the RF deck is contained within the module, which of course would be swapped with the new DMSS module. The challenge is that the DMSS module uses the radio's PPM protocol to communicate with it ( just like the Spektrum DSM2 modules that are available for FM Jr radios). In the PPM mode, the JR 12xMV only offers 8 of it's twelve channels for use.

I don't really think that the 12xMV and the PCM12 are two different radios (I may be completely wrong here) but, I think they are just re-badged and have a different firmware.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...e-rx-JRP03594B

Here's a link to the new module on Horizons site,

Anyway, very interested in what you can find out!

Thanks again

Mike
Old 06-17-2012, 06:05 AM
John Redman

In talking with our service center there is an upcoming module to operate on DMSS that will be available shortly. You can use the 11 channel receiver from JR and have 11 usable channels.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:34 AM
luv2flyrc

Thanks John, I appreciate the effort but, I fear you have run into the same problem at Horizon that I have.

They THINK that the new DMSS module and an 11 channel receiver will give you 11 channels in the 12xMV. IT WON'T, not without some sort of firmware update to the radio!

The reason it won't is because when you use the JR 12xMV in PPM modulation mode ( which is necessary when using the new DMSS module with it) the radios software only gives you 8 channels!

If you have a 12xMV, switch it to PPM modulation and you will see that you only have 8 channels available.

Nobody at Horizon seems to realize this.

Again, thank you for your efforts.

Mike
Old 06-18-2012, 05:19 AM
John Redman

I have confirmed that the module can transmit on all 12 channels. The current limitation is it comes packaged with an 8 channel receiver from JR. There is an 11 channel receiver available which would then give you 11 channels on DMSS. In time I would guess they will bring a 12 channel receiver to market.

No new firmware is required. Yes it does show only 8 channels available, but when this module is plugged in all become active.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:26 AM
luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: John Redman

I have confirmed that the module can transmit on all 12 channels. The current limitation is it comes packaged with an 8 channel receiver from JR. There is an 11 channel receiver available which would then give you 11 channels on DMSS. In time I would guess they will bring a 12 channel receiver to market.

No new firmware is required. Yes it does show only 8 channels available, but when this module is plugged in all become active.
Cool, if that happens, that is fantastic! I am still skeptical that it will happen though. I do not see how plugging in a module will expand the radio's software that is not there. I wonder if anyone at Horizon has had one of these in hand to confirm this? Case in point, you recall the orignial Spektrum module when placed in a 10X would only give 9 channels because that's what the 10x software had available in PPM mode.

Appreciate you following up on it.

Mike

Old 06-18-2012, 08:00 AM
John Redman

Hey Mike,

I understand your thought process, mine is very close to the same. The one thing that makes me think it will work is the module version gives 12 channels on 72 mhz or 2.4. I honestly do not know how, but it does. I would only guess the DMSS would be similar.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:17 AM
luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: John Redman

The one thing that makes me think it will work is the module version gives 12 channels on 72 mhz or 2.4. I honestly do not know how, but it does. I would only guess the DMSS would be similar.
Hi John,

Just to clarify, Do you mean the module version of the 12x gives 12 channels on 72mhz and 2.4?

If so, that's where the misunderstanding lies. The 12xMV that I have, is the module version of the 12x and it won't give you 12 channels on 72mhz. It only gives you 8.

Mike

Old 06-18-2012, 10:10 AM
John Redman

In talking over here I believe that is what they said. It would seem pointless to sell it with only 8 channels. Honestly I never saw the sense in the module version. Could not get my head around having 2.4 on some models and 72 on the others. Let me clarify once again. We did not sell many of these at all. They were very limited.