Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New test and tune bench for Nano turbines from www.HAB.se

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New test and tune bench for Nano turbines from www.HAB.se

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Ian Davidson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New test and tune bench for Nano turbines from www.HAB.se

Thank you Martin, Henke - it was indeed the starter-motor slipping. I'veexperiencedthis with my Wren 54 before, but never the P20-SX.I'venow resolved it - thank you :-)<o></o>

This brings me on to however the problem I wasexperiencingbefore the starter-motor began slipping...<o></o>

The P20-SX goes through it’s normal start-up sequence, but the turbine never quite reaches the 85,000 RPM idle speed. If I’ve understood it right, only once the turbine reaches 85,000RPM is throttle control passed over to the throttle stick on the transmitter?<o></o>

During the start-up sequence the RPM reaches about 83,000 -> 84,000, but not quite 85,000 RPM. I eventually get the message AccTimOut and then -Cooling- even though the turbine is still running around 83,000 -> 84,000RPM. Also, once it reports AccTimOut/Cooling the throttle-kill switch on the transmitter doesn't do anything!? The only way I can kill the turbine is to pull the power!<o></o>

I certainly never experienced anything like this with my ECU before I damaged it and sent it back to JetCat for repair. Are there any settings with this repaired/replaced ECUI should be checking?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9kT5mLtK6s[/youtube]

Old 12-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok I think that is easy one too. You can se the pump value increases without the engine reving up. That indicates the fuel does not reach the engine. Check the clunk, fuel filter and all connectors. If thats right check the solenoids. These small *******s(haha censured b a s t a r d s) seem to jam from time to time, this is the exact same valves as on the Kolibri uses but buildt in to one block. On the Kolibri you can run the engine without the solenoids, I do not know if this is possible on the P20. Maybe if you bypass the main fuel solenoid useing only the starter solenoid for the kerostart.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Ian Davidson

Thanks Henke and thank you Martin too (who PM'd me) - you both diagnosed the same fault, so I'll investigate the fuel line. :-)
It's just odd that the first time this has ever happened is after I over-voltagedmy ECU. The fuel pump is rated at no more than 10V, but it's possible itmight have had16V across it when Iaccidentlypowered the ECU from a 4S batttery, so maybe it could bedamaged?
Tomorrow I will remove the fuel line from the engine and simply use the 'purge' feature on the Data Terminal to activate the fuel pump and see if it flows ok.
Thank you both again.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:50 PM
frema

let me know Ian
i think you will find it
succes
Regards,
Martin.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:16 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been told by JetCat and others that the P20 fuel pump sees the full voltage to the ECU at switch on, hence for the P20 it can not be used with a 3 cell A123.

Mike
Old 12-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Ian Davidson

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

I have been told by JetCat and others that the P20 fuel pump sees the full voltage to the ECU at switch on, hence for the P20 it can not be used with a 3 cell A123.

Mike
Ahhh, in that case my P20 fuel pump could be toast !! :-(

Old 12-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Ian Davidson

Something really strange is happening. I'm sure it must be either a ECU or fuel pump problem ?? :-(

Simply selecting the ‘Purge FuelSystem’ function via the DataTerminal sometimes works – sometimes doesn't. In this first video it does nothing!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7fDRZ2tx0[/youtube]

When it does work, if you hold down the ‘Change Value’ to active the ‘Purge FuelSystem’ function for more than around 3 seconds, the pump sticks on and cannot be turned off other than by removing the power. Once the fuel pump has stuck on, changing the fuel pump voltage/speed (either up or down) has no effect.

With hindsight, I actually witnessed the fuel pump sticking on in this way yesterday, but was unsure what was happening at the time.Yesterday I witnessed the turbine go into cooling mode (with the starter motor engaged), but the fuel pump was still running! The result was bellows of relentless white smoke as fuel was being pumped into a hot turbine.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBbISsElTpk[/youtube]
Old 12-24-2012, 08:09 AM
frema

sent it back to jetcat agian
i cant do nothing about this
either pump or ecu fails
Regards,
Martin.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Ian Davidson

Thanks Martin, My money is on the fuel pump this time... and they're not cheap :-(
Old 12-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Henke Torphammar

ORIGINAL: Ian Davidson

Thanks Martin, My money is on the fuel pump this time... and they're not cheap :-(
Whats inside the purple CAN bus thingy? I cant imagine the pump motor being damaged that fast. Pump and motor seem to be the same as on the Kolibri except for the Jetcat CAN bus addon.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Ian Davidson

ORIGINAL: Henke Torphammar

Whats inside the purple CAN bus thingy? I cant imagine the pump motor being damaged that fast. Pump and motor seem to be the same as on the Kolibri except for the Jetcat CAN bus addon.
I've just got back home from a couple of days away. I've yet to take the pump apart, but I'm not sure there would be much I could do if I did. There are 4 wires going to it, 2 for power and 2 for data/signals, so there must be some control or feedback circuitary inside I guess.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Henke Torphammar

Did you get the problem solved yet or still waiting for parts?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:04 AM
Ian Davidson

Did you get the problem solved yet or still waiting for parts?
Many thanks Henke forenquiring! :-)

I've emailed JetCat in Germany but their tech-support (maybe the whole of JetCat) is away until the 7th January, so sadly I'm unlikely to get a response until then.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:22 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As I said previously the pump/bus sees the voltage plugged into the ECU when powering up, therefore I would think the Bus is toast, motor may still work, but without control, all seems to fit together with the posts above, hope you get this sorted.

Mike
Old 01-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Henke Torphammar

We did some checks with the FLIR to see which trempratures we are looking at. Important when installing the engine in an aircraft, specially if made of foam. This is how it works, the FLIR gun presents the temprature that I aim at in the upper left corner of the picture. That's of course not the only value to read out. At the bottom of each picture there's a bar showing which color that indicates which temprature. Diffrent on all pictures so look closely and draw your own colclusions :-)

Each engine were let at the current state for some time for the temps to settle before takeing the snapshot.

The tailcone is way out of range for the FLIR (max 350°C) so it shows funny values.

.....................P20.........................................Kolibri T25

Idle

Idle

Full power

Full power
Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Ian Davidson

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

As I said previously the pump/bus sees the voltage plugged into the ECU when powering up, therefore I would think the Bus is toast, motor may still work, but without control, all seems to fit together with the posts above, hope you get this sorted.

Mike
Hi Mike, yes I'm sure you are right. I sent both my ECU and pump back to JetCat on Monday (as per their request), so I hope to have a working solution back soon. Many thanks indeed for your help.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Ian Davidson

We did some checks with the FLIR to see which trempratures we are looking at. Important when installing the engine in an aircraft, specially if made of foam. This is how it works, the FLIR gun presents the temprature that I aim at in the upper left corner of the picture. That's of course not the only value to read out. At the bottom of each picture there's a bar showing which color that indicates which temprature. Diffrent on all pictures so look closely and draw your own colclusions :-)

Each engine were let at the current state for some time for the temps to settle before takeing the snapshot.

The tailcone is way out of range for the FLIR (max 350°C) so it shows funny values.

Wow! Amazing photos Henke!! :-)

So what is the technical reason that one runs hotter than the other, and is running hotter necessarily a bad thing?

<o></o>

Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Henke Torphammar

Wow! Amazing photos Henke!! :-)

So what is the technical reason that one runs hotter than the other, and is running hotter necessarily a bad thing?

<o></o>

My guess is efficancy but I really don't know. The test is performed as a step in developing the turbine convertion kit, not a performance test. As the P20 has a bulky mount we had to replace it with a custom clamp. Light yet very strong. Engine accessable from behind by 4 screws(!) The kit is in in final evaluation now and will soon be available. If I'm correctly imformed it will sell for under €99 includeing fueltank.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Ian Davidson

The 'turbine conversion kit' for what?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM
SpiderJets

EDF foamies (I guess)

Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Henke Torphammar

The 'turbine conversion kit' for what?

It's for the Ready2fly Venom but will fit any 90mm EDF.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Ian Davidson

I recently noticed the Skyrunner 300+ fibreglass plane which has been specificallydesigned for the P20/Kolibri- it looks amazing!
http://www.airworld.de/deutsch/Jetmodelle/Skyrunner/index.htm
Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 AM
Ian Davidson

New ECU and new fuel pump - my P20-SX is now back and running on all cylinders again! Yippee!

!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Henke Torphammar

New ECU and new fuel pump - my P20-SX is now back and running on all cylinders again! Yippee!

!
Cool! I'm reciveing my new ECU in a couple of weeks and if lucky the new Super Kolibri which does 3800grams of thrust in room temprature with a efficiency index of 0.0501 g/s/N, still in the same size and weight. Looks like a fun spring this year

Old 01-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Ian Davidson

New ECU and new fuel pump - my P20-SX is now back and running on allcylinders again! Yippee!

!
Cool! I'm reciveing my new ECU in a couple of weeks and if lucky the new Super Kolibri which does 3800grams of thrust in room temprature with a efficiency index of 0.0501 g/s/N, still in the same size and weight. Looks like a fun spring this year

Super Kolibri !?! What !? Who !? Where !? - Tell me more !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.