Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

os 91 alternative fuels

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

os 91 alternative fuels

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 11:07 PM
bpu699
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os 91 alternative fuels

Hi folks. Just ordered a starfire and an os91. I know most of you use wildcat jet fuel in this motor, but unfortunately this isn't easily available where I live.

Can byron 5-10% fuel with 20% oil be used, if I add some castor or additional lubricant?

What about Fox 5% fuel (20%oil, half castor, half synthetic)?

Any other thoughts?

Oh, another question. Are futaba 9202 servos adequate? I'm sure that the latest digital servos are preferable, but folks did fly jets before these existed...
Old 09-05-2003, 12:01 AM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

I use byron 10% nitro 18% oil castor/syntec thenn I add about 4 oz of castor oil. Seems to do just fine.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:34 AM
jcarl
My Feedback: (3)

Default OS 91 Fuel

I have found that any "sport fuel" with 5-10% nitro works well if you will add a generous one ounce of turbine oil to a gallon of the fuel. The turbien oil can be obtained at your local airport, ask for BP2380 or Aeroshell 500 turbine or equivilents. One quart will be enough for at least 25 gallons of fuel.

Carl
Old 09-06-2003, 01:34 AM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

Default I hadn't heard of the turbine oil additive....

Would you mind telling me a little more about that? I take it the Turbine oil mixes with methanol? I use Byron fuel too. A good grade of racing castor such as Klotz Benol added to the 18% oil is a good idea; add about 4 oz. Castor goes to the hot spots, and DF engines need additional lubricant at the crank pin and lower conrod bushing, where failure is most likely to occur.

Regards,
GPB
Old 09-06-2003, 04:02 PM
SigKavalier

Umm hey just a crazy idea that just popped into my head. Has anyone thought of seasoning the inside of the engine with slick 50 or a similar lubricant/penetrant?
You could work it in by hand, and then clean all the excess slick 50 out. I've noticed that when you add it to an older vehicle without a computer controller you have to turn your idle down.

Which tells me without a doubt it significantly reduces friction, and increases engine performance. In modern vehicles though you don't really notice because the computer adjust the engine automatically.

Anyway like I said just a thought.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:37 PM
jcarl

Default Turbine Oil

Yes the turbine oil mixes with the methanol. By adding a smaller volume of oi, i.e. the one oz. of turbine oil, you retain a greater percentage by volume of methanol and nitro that is delivered to your engine resulting in better power. By adding larger volumes of castor and Klotz techniplate you dilute your methanol and nitro and reduce the available energy that is in the fuel.

Carl
Old 09-06-2003, 08:37 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

But is there any quantitative data available that shows that you do not need that extra oil volume?
Old 09-06-2003, 08:44 PM
jcarl

If you have quanatative data showing that the exta volume of oil is absolutely essential please post the data for all of us to see it.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:00 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have none except for the fact that we know that the current DF fuels perform adequately for reasonable engine life. I am just wondering if you have any data for using turbine oil.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:30 AM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BEware of turbine oils...

Turbine oil is rather detrimental to your health [sm=eek.gif] : pay attention to exhaust gases ...
Old 09-11-2003, 07:37 AM
Kevin East
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: os 91 alternative fuels

Hello All:
I had the same problem of getting fuel, but the hobby shop is carring fuel for the control line guys, PowerMaster 10% with 22% oil, half and half. We got two flights yesterday on this fuel, things seem to have gone well, good power, and lots of smoke.
Please let me know if anyone sees any problems using this fuel.
Thanks
Kevin
Old 09-11-2003, 08:39 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

PowerMaster makes an excellant Ducted Fan fuel with 23% oil in a castor/synthetic blend. I've been using the 5% Ducted Fan fuel for about a year now with no problems.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:42 PM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

i've been using ritch's brew 10% nitro 11% castor 11% synth for years. the lhs in dallas had it cheap for the trainers, and it just seemed to work. the post wanting to know where these recommendations came from. Tom Cook of Jet Model Products came out some time ago with the statement that 5% nitro 23% oil was the way to go. BVM had his special brew by powermaster then later wildcat that was a 23% oil as well. the more oil you have the tougher it is to get a long consistant idle. in the heat of the summer i guess we should switch to 5%, but i am too lazy to do so. not any real magic to it, just once you get your engine set up to run on one brew, you do not want to switch and create troubles in your settings.

pat
austin,tx