Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Redundant RX packs are they overkill?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Redundant RX packs are they overkill?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:41 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Redundant RX packs are they overkill?

The Fromeco packs state 4 amps. I've seen a few 40%ers go in that were using dual 2600 mah ions, so I've stayed away from them. Obviously there is no hard and fast rule and generally speaking, jets use far less power than a 40% 3D plane. My point was simply that 2600 mah ions have a discharge rate much lower than NIHM, NICAD, A123, LIPO, and LIFE batteries.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:08 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I have ran 5200 and 2600 ions with the standard futaba style plug on hard 3D 100-150cc planes for years. A jet as you stated doesnt even come close to the large 3D planes which is why I went with two 2600s instead of 5200s. I charge my jet after every flight day, I charge my 46% twice a month
I ment to say 2600s
ORIGINAL: dubd

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

I run two 2200 ions in my F-16 plenty of flights.
Discharge rate on 2200 ions is pretty low. 5200 or bust for me.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:33 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: dubd

The Fromeco packs state 4 amps. I've seen a few 40%ers go in that were using dual 2600 mah ions, so I've stayed away from them. Obviously there is no hard and fast rule and generally speaking, jets use far less power than a 40% 3D plane. My point was simply that 2600 mah ions have a discharge rate much lower than NIHM, NICAD, A123, LIPO, and LIFE batteries.
Noted. All good info, thanks.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 AM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

[/quote]

Wrong. Real data, derived from my Weatronics equipment which records, amongst other parameters, voltage and currents of both batteries at .1 second intervals, , normal and standby, might surprise you.

Flying a heavy, fast and powerful gas turbine powered model without battery redundancy is, in my view, grossly irresponsible and I am prepared to justify this statement to anyone. (keyboard warriors without experience or data, excepted)

Regards,

David.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

David,

Plus 1, to the extent that it applies to all fast, heavy planes regardless of engine type.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:24 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

Wrong. Real data, derived from my Weatronics equipment which records, amongst other parameters, voltage and currents of both batteries at .1 second intervals, , normal and standby, might surprise you.

Flying a heavy, fast and powerful gas turbine powered model without battery redundancy is, in my view, grossly irresponsible and I am prepared to justify this statement to anyone. (keyboard warriors without experience or data, excepted)

Regards,

David.
[/quote]

And I am afraid of pilots who think they need to have redundancy to justify being safe.
I have seen more high end double everything models go down than the simple ones.
It is always the nice ones being lost.
Every time you add components to your system, you add at least one more single point failure (we call this analysis DFMEA/FMECA) in Aerospace.

Not against redundancy at all, I think it is a good thing, just against your typically arrogant coment.

Regards,
David
Old 08-08-2012, 12:13 PM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Smartfly makes some great dual battery units. Different styles and capacities. The second battery can help.

By the way, am I the only one that checks batteries with a load between each flight? A simple load tester can also save an airplane. It is even a good entry into the flight log that I am sure everyone is keeping.

Paul S
Old 08-08-2012, 12:29 PM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Arrogance, no sir, professional knowledge gained over many years of how it IS done in the real world of aerospace, which I find infinitely preferrable to posters on RCU. Please explain how adding another totally independent power source adds a single point failure. On that basis you would need to redesign the electrical system of every fullsize jet. Perhaps you think know better than the rest of the aerospace business, (I have some experience there) I don't but I AM prepared to follow their proven engineering principles. Compare the consequences of the failure of a single battery system with that which has a second or backup battery.

Ask yourself why Boeing installs no less than SIX independent electrical power sources to the vital captain' s instruments on, for example, an ETOPS 767. (2 generators, APU, RAT, HMG, and battery powered inverter). The real areospace world protects itself from single point failures by adding systems which are independent and will compensate for failure of a primary system and get you home. A backup or second battery on an RC jet does exactly that, as Powerbox systems, Weatronic to name two, make standard in their systems.

You are confusing arrogance with absolute technical knowledge of how things ARE done in the real world. I am afraid of pilots who don't take safety seriously and think redundancy of electrical powers supplies as superfluous.

regards,

David.

Lifer, thank you for your support, I was making my comment in the jet context but I do so agree with you.

Regards,

David.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:47 PM
FalconWings

Whatever Sir Gladwin.

Back to my fake Aerospace world.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This stuff is hilarious...all the redundancy in the world and they are still flying with ONE single radio battery, a single antenna on the radio, and for all that one radio, etc....cracks me up!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:46 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

This stuff is hilarious...all the redundancy in the world and they are still flying with ONE single radio battery, a single antenna on the radio, and for all that one radio, etc....cracks me up!
very different to power a radio than powering servos. ONe is a very constant power demand, the other is completely different. Also, you radio is in your hands, very steady. Your plane batteries are been subjected to a lot of abuse...

But hey, don´t do it. it is a very personal choice. It is almost like religion
Old 08-08-2012, 03:15 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: JackD

very different to power a radio than powering servos. ONe is a very constant power demand, the other is completely different. Also, you radio is in your hands, very steady. Your plane batteries are been subjected to a lot of abuse...

+1

I suppose the argument being made by Luchnia is that unless everything is redundant then nothing should be? Uhhhh, what? THAT, in my opinion, is hilarious.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:29 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... Ask yourself why Boeing installs no less than SIX independent electrical power sources to the vital captain' s instruments on, for example, an ETOPS 767. (2 generators, APU, RAT, HMG, and battery powered inverter). ...
Because they're made in China

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Kirk
Old 08-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

David,

The other side of the pro argument is simply monetary: A Smart-Fly battery backer and a second battery costs me about $50. Cheap insurance in my opinion....

Happy landings to all.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:36 PM
FalconWings

ORIGINAL: k_sonn

... Ask yourself why Boeing installs no less than SIX independent electrical power sources to the vital captain' s instruments on, for example, an ETOPS 767. (2 generators, APU, RAT, HMG, and battery powered inverter). ...
Because they're made in China [img][/img]

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Kirk
I actually know the answer to that question as I worked for a while for Eaton HSD, but your answer is soooo much better!!

Good one!

Old 08-09-2012, 01:58 AM
Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

Arrogance, no sir, professional knowledge gained over many years of how it IS done in the real world of aerospace, which I find infinitely preferrable to posters on RCU. Please explain how adding another totally independent power source adds a single point failure. On that basis you would need to redesign the electrical system of every fullsize jet. Perhaps you think know better than the rest of the aerospace business, (I have some experience there) I don't but I AM prepared to follow their proven engineering principles. Compare the consequences of the failure of a single battery system with that which has a second or backup battery.

Ask yourself why Boeing installs no less than SIX independent electrical power sources to the vital captain' s instruments on, for example, an ETOPS 767. (2 generators, APU, RAT, HMG, and battery powered inverter). The real areospace world protects itself from single point failures by adding systems which are independent and will compensate for failure of a primary system and get you home. A backup or second battery on an RC jet does exactly that, as Powerbox systems, Weatronic to name two, make standard in their systems.

You are confusing arrogance with absolute technical knowledge of how things ARE done in the real world. I am afraid of pilots who don't take safety seriously and think redundancy of electrical powers supplies as superfluous.

regards,

David.

Lifer, thank you for your support, I was making my comment in the jet context but I do so agree with you.

Regards,

David.
So what is your view on Futaba's S bus?
Old 08-09-2012, 03:21 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: highhorse

ORIGINAL: JackD

+1

I suppose the argument being made by Luchnia is that unless everything is redundant then nothing should be? Uhhhh, what? THAT, in my opinion, is hilarious.
I don't disagree that redundancy is good and each point of redundancy improves the whole, however none of the systems most fly have any true diversity in redundancy because there are single point of failures. Is the radio less prone to failure? It would seem so as analysis has shown that area to be more trouble free. Could the radio battery fail, yes it can and has yet is very rare.

Sometimes a single connector brings an aircraft down even with dual everything It is a personal choice and I go with how much is tied up in the aircraft. If it is a cheap beater who cares, but if you have a lot of coin then don't scrimp where electronics are concerned. Put dual setups in as it may save if a failure were to occur in the battery/switch area. Some cases are certainly overkill though.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:04 AM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

redundacy is cheaper then my car insurance
Old 08-09-2012, 08:48 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: gsmarino2000

You do need to have something, because just tying two packs together gives the opportunity for a dead or shorted pack to bring down the plane. I use JR PowerSafe recievers in my gas planes. They are built to handle redundant batteries and have a diode "or" function to keep a dead or shorted pack from killing the good pack. There are a number of other options - Fromeco, Powerbox, Smart Fly PowerExpander, etc.
My thoughts exactly. And it sounds like the OP is just paralleling the batteries. It would be much better to use a 2P battery if they are available for LiFes because they are matched at the factory and charged together.