Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Desert Jet Storm 2013 and Beyond

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Desert Jet Storm 2013 and Beyond

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Chris Balling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Desert Jet Storm 2013 and Beyond

Sadly I must report that the mess Speedworld has been in the last few months has come home to haunt the Speedworld RC Flyers. The State of Arizona has mandated that all RC activity at Speedworld cease not later than November 1, of this year. While a number of legal types are trying to intervene on our behalf; as well as our club leadership continuing to make every effort to remain open, it does not look promising. While we are not officially cancelling Desert Jet Storm 2013, at this time, I advise those of you who are making flight reservations, or room arraignments, not to do so. I will keep you posted as things develop. Additionally, I promise more information at Best in the West.

Chris Balling
Old 09-13-2012, 11:58 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Desert Jet Storm 2013 and Beyond

UGH! was one of my favorites!
I would donate to the cause if fighting for it is a possiblity.
Scott
Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the basis for evicting the flying club?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris, sorry to hear this, Speed world/Desert Jet Storm was a great event and hopefully the show will be back for 2013. Best of luck to the club. Joe C!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IAN, Apparently the Owner remodeling and building without permits etc etc etc. Check out the previous postings where the track and other facilities got in trouble but they would allow RC Flyers to continue.

Ralph

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11119348

And the News Article

http://www.azcentral.com/community/w...unty-says.html
Old 09-13-2012, 02:48 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: ianober

Whats the basis for evicting the flying club?
From what I read. The leasor, Dan Matthews, was applying for sublease rights to the State. The state responded by saying you dont have the right to sublease to non approved operations, ie anything RC. They were given the lease with the idea that it would be used for full scale racing, offroad, drags, motocross.

The way I read it, RC activities would be banned even if it was run the main leasor. It was the activity not the sublease that seems to be the problem.

But that flying site has been there long before Dan Matthews was involved. The club is at least 25 years old. My flying buddy Ray is a land developer. He thinks that the club has prescriptive easement rights to the field because of the lenght the time and improvements that have been made. But it will take a very expensive lawyer to prove that case.

I hope they can work it out.

Prescriptive Easements;
In the simplest sense prescriptive easements in Arizona are an extension of acquiring the title to real property by adverse possession. However, after meeting the requirements necessary to satisfy a claim for an easement by prescription a party does not get title to your property, he or she merely gets an easement across your property and the prescriptive easement cannot be greater than the party’s use that established it. Therefore, if a party drives his or her station wagon across a specific portion of your property for 10 years he or she may have an easement by prescription that grants him or her the right to drive his or her personal vehicle along the same route across your property. You cannot block the party from driving across your property, but he or she cannot expand the easement and use the easement for commercial purposes, for example, or claim any ownership interest in any portion of your property.

The only way a party can acquire an easement by prescription across your land is by 10 years of continuous use. During that time, the party’s use of the land must be continuous.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:46 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Wow, sounds like a big pain. Well I am sure someone in the club has a friend of a friend whos a lawyer.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:00 PM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Super bummed. I am an attorney but in Colorado, not AZ. The Easement laws apply pretty universally in most states though. Chris, where would the club move to for flying? Surely this won't terminate the entire RC club would it? I reckon maybe you could move the event to wherever you guys would fly next, no?

I hope the event stays with the CD Chris Balling and goes where-ever you and the club go Chris. Folks this was a first class event And amazingly fun.

Keep us Posted Chris. If not at Speedworld, I pray the club moves to another great field and resumes the event!!!

Shaz
Old 09-13-2012, 04:49 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damm- Looks like your off the hook Shaz Scotty

ARIZONA: The state does not offer reciprocity.

ARKANSAS: Admission by motion went into effect in October 2004.

CALIFORNIA: The state does not offer reciprocity, but offers a shorter bar examination for attorneys licensed in other states with good standing for at least four years prior to application.

COLORADO: Other states have to reciprocate for Colorado lawyers.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This might be a strech or maybe someone alrady looked into it, Would it be possible to get your own lease from the County?

Ralph
Old 09-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Chris Balling

Thanks for all of the great comments and suggestions. Rest assured, we are pursuing all avenues, including the establishment of a totally new site. We have a lot of friends in the Phoenix community, including TV and print; and it is our intention to speak with all of them..........it appears that our club has simply been deceived (for a long time) over some shady business practice that none of us has had control over. Believe me: Desert Jets will "Storm" again.

Chris Balling
Old 09-13-2012, 06:31 PM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

Speedworld no more???

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

"That's all I gott'a say 'bout that"
Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

MAXIMUM SUCKAGE!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 12:06 PM
jet time
My Feedback: (75)

Without a doubt, one of my top favorite place to go.
I'm with Scott.... Count me in! This is a great venue.
Thanks for all your doing Chris and the rest of the gang

Lowell
Old 09-14-2012, 01:27 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: furloughed ual

Speedworld no more???

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

''That's all I gott'a say 'bout that''

[:@]
Old 09-14-2012, 08:32 PM
mtnflyer14

Chris,
Best of luck in rising from the ashes of the Speedworld problems and/or finding a new site. The Speedworld RC club has lots of folks pulling for you!
Regards,
Gus
Old 09-15-2012, 07:31 AM
SinCityJets

That is horrible news. This really is a great event, and it would be terrible if this got cancelled. Keep us posted Chris!

Chad
Old 10-17-2012, 06:58 AM
brettjet

Hi Chris,

Sorry to here this, Jeff and myself where looking into coming over from the UK after hearing so many good things about the event when we met at Tucson in March.

Steve