Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

GR130

Old 03-15-2020, 05:26 AM
rupesh rupak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerald Rutten View Post
Hang on, there's s something with the site, I come back on that
Hi Gerald, one of avid follower of your work. Wishing if you could release the GR220 files as well. It is ok, if its still experimental.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:09 AM
Gerald Rutten

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Site is up and running for a while on a new host. The plans are there as well but somehow I'm the only one to have access, have to look how to unlock them for users.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:15 AM
Raptor4

Originally Posted by rupesh rupak View Post
Hi Raptor,
Gerald's website is down for a while. I think the subscription might have expired. PM me your email.. I will send the files. @gerald I hope you approve this.
My email is [email protected]. Thank you.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:36 AM
rupesh rupak

Originally Posted by Gerald Rutten View Post
Site is up and running for a while on a new host. The plans are there as well but somehow I'm the only one to have access, have to look how to unlock them for users.
Yes just checked, when clicked on plan its asking logins. Also are you planning to share GR220 plans too?
Old 03-16-2020, 06:03 AM
Raptor4

Hi Raptor,
Gerald's website is down for a while. I think the subscription might have expired. PM me your email.. I will send the files. @gerald I hope you approve this.
Hi my email is [email protected]. Thank you.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:40 AM
Josh_Carr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Plans

can you scale up the design as long as a compressor blade fits?
I guess there's a limit with the turbine temp....
I too would be interested to see the differences between GR180 and GR220
Old 04-14-2020, 09:46 AM
Gerald Rutten

Originally Posted by Raptor4 View Post
Hi my email is [email protected]. Thank you.
No problem at all!
Old 04-14-2020, 01:52 PM
lufihengr

If someone could share the plans here as well, I would appreciate it. email: [email protected]

Another question: Is there any reason why a turbocharger turbine wheel is not used?
They are easy to get, like the compressor wheels. The axial flow turbine wheels are hard to get, and even harder to manufacture if you want to make it yourself.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:53 PM
lufihengr

If someone could share the plans here as well, I would appreciate it. email: [email protected] dot fi

Another question: Is there any reason why a turbocharger turbine wheel is not used?
They are easy to get, like the compressor wheels. The axial flow turbines are hard to get, and even harder to manufacture if you want to make it yourself.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:20 AM
Gerald Rutten

Originally Posted by Raptor4 View Post
Can you tell me where you got the plans from? I can't download from Gerald rutten site. Is it possible to send me the files please.
Site and downloads should be up and running;

Gerald Rutten Turbines

No updates at this stage though.

Cheers,
Gerald
Old 04-15-2020, 10:30 AM
Gerald Rutten

Originally Posted by lufihengr View Post
If someone could share the plans here as well, I would appreciate it. email: [email protected] dot fi

They are easy to get, like the compressor wheels. The axial flow turbines are hard to get, and even harder to manufacture if you want to make it yourself.
That has been done a lot, just google them. Only downside being the weight penalty hence a heavy engine.

High quality turbines can be ordered here: Jetmax turbine wheels

Old 05-18-2020, 12:37 PM
athome

Here a short update from my side. Still make some slow progress. Figured out what may be my main problem: The lubrication! here my idea to test that with different injection needle. Here a few pictures

turning some fine threads

needle inserted

fully assembled

Last edited by athome; 05-18-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:44 PM
athome

the cool thing of cnc machining

Old 05-18-2020, 11:18 PM
Gerald Rutten

Nice tool! As mentioned before I nowadays always use the robart airline restrictors, 2 in series which is adequate. When you're gonna test these it might be interesting to make a view glass for some kind so you can actually see the flow rate. I made this set-up many years ago from a syringe, M5 threaded aluminium cap glued on. At idle you can see the drops falling down, approx 3 drops per second. All commercial engines have the restrictor inside the engine. I elect to keep it outside so I am able to see fluid on the other side..or not and stop the engine.

I used yours as well, worked oke. I turned the outside a bit smaller and squeezed it into the fuel line as shown;

Set-up on all my current engines;

Old 07-04-2020, 09:52 PM
Josh_Carr

Hi,
Are the drawings to the GR220 out yet Gerald?

I can see there is some information about the GR220 on the webpage but no link yet (that I can see)...

Old 07-05-2020, 11:49 PM
Gerald Rutten

True , project far from finished. The engine has less priority at the moment. In an attempt to increase airflow and power I reworked the front bearing spacer which in the end caused too low airflow to front bearing and I had a dramatic seizure at max power....lot's of damage. Happened 2 years ago and it sit's in a box waiting for next steps. I did found a new, larger compressor wheel which should enhance power even more to approx 250N but I still need to make a new shaft, new compressor casing and probably new diffuser as well. But I'm now working on lots of other stuff, will have to find some time....life is all about priorities!
Old 07-06-2020, 09:38 PM
Josh_Carr

Oh ouch, sounds like a big accident would have been scary!
Easy to see why you have left it for the time being, it would be hard to lose all that work, and have to do it allover again.
I will start with one of the smaller pre-built projects myself, but the idea of having to design a whole new system for airflow (making everything fit) that sounds interesting...
If you have the patience

The following users liked this post:
Gerald Rutten (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 09:52 PM
rupesh rupak

This is very wise step not to release the plan Gerald. Sad to hear the bearing failure but its part of experiment which weigh heavy on our pockets. I remember, The same kind of bearing failure you had on MW modified version. That project went into cold basket then. I hope one day you pick up the sword again and take this beast to 25Kg.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:07 PM
Gerald Rutten

This is very wise step not to release the plan Gerald. Sad to hear the bearing failure but its part of experiment which weigh heavy on our pockets. I remember, The same kind of bearing failure you had on MW modified version. That project went into cold basket then. I hope one day you pick up the sword again and take this beast to 25Kg.
Oh, believe me I will, very addicting stuff this all is! My biggest enemy is time and wanting to do too much
Old 07-06-2020, 11:16 PM
Gerald Rutten

Originally Posted by Josh_Carr View Post
Oh ouch, sounds like a big accident would have been scary!
Not too bad, no blades thrown or any of that kind and all contained withing the engine. But everything has been scored and marked with tolerances unacceptable high so a lot needed to be re done. Turbine wheel went from 74mm to 73mm. I grinded that down to 70,5mm for one of my GR180 to use. I have a new 74mm wheel and en new compressor already, just trying to find the time, now spending all my time on a 1/6 F84F Thunderstreak;

Gerald Rutten F84F Thunderstreak

Old 07-06-2020, 11:20 PM
rupesh rupak

could you plz. let me know the jig/fixture you used to machine the turbine blade? I have to machine one and thinking not to ruin it. Carbide tipped tool would do?
Old 07-07-2020, 12:17 AM
Gerald Rutten

Don't try to turn it off by means of a chisel, it's too hard and blades my damage. It needs grinding. My way is somehow rudimentary but if carefully done very precise. I use a 115mm grinder fixed to the lath. Make sure the lath turns the other direction of the grinder. Take very small steps in a time. The picture shows the main shaft installed but that's only for showing. Use a scrap steel bar and turn off the turbine shaft fit and a screw thread to fix the wheel. This way you are sure it's dead center.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:35 AM
rupesh rupak

That helps. I will do this way only. grinding little bit every time.

Your thunderstreak looks so professional (more than pro infact). Your F16 model is already mesmerizing. keep building these great stuff. Power to you!!

One Q: I was going through your website. How do you make that cover that fits over compressor shroud(which house rpm sensors). I don't know if its plastic or tin or metal sheet. It looks well made. I am thinking how that can be done.

Last edited by rupesh rupak; 07-07-2020 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:59 AM
F86_SABRE

Hi Gerald, Nice F84F. I suppose the nose wheel is a beast to replicate. Is it the same size as the KNOLL one?

Reuben
Old 07-07-2020, 11:18 PM
Gerald Rutten

Appologies Lukacs, not want to take over your thread!

Originally Posted by F86_SABRE View Post
Hi Gerald, Nice F84F. I suppose the nose wheel is a beast to replicate. Is it the same size as the KNOLL one?
Reuben
No it's slightly smaller compared to the Knoll Streak. Please see here for more info on the built; (Dutch)

Modelbouwforum 1/6 F84F Thunderstreak

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.