Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Nitro ducted fans? Any left out there?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Nitro ducted fans? Any left out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Geoff_H
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro ducted fans? Any left out there?

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

We have a local field that looks like it is going to ban LiPo and already banned turbines, you could be the only jet guy there!!
They would really be pissed if you showed up with a gas turbine generator to charge you lipos.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I don't remember ever owning a slow ICDF. Mine were all Y/A and they all hauled on OS .91's. I had a Y/A A-4 with a BVM .96/Viofan and it really hauled.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:19 PM
jedijingle
My Feedback: (45)

Best build for your buck is Yellow Aircraft, hands down. The hardest part of the build is the love rubbing of the glass work on the wings. BTW on the fuel, if you cannot get Wildcat Jet A, Start with 10% add oil and that will bring you down in Nitro volume. Do a search on fuel blending. I know there aresome excel files out there that will help take the guess workout of the issue. I would always add 4oz of castor to my wildcat fuel and that worked well. I think there were some fuels that had no nitro in them too. Shaun AKA Yellowaircraft and hook you up with all the things you need for a kit. Those kits can go ICDF Electric or Gas Turbine. They don't break the bank either. Be sure to do a build thread. Cheers.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:25 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I bet many of the turbine guys still have their ICDF equipment from earlier days.
Very few still fly these and there are quite a few planes are just sitting and collect dust...
If you go to their forum, someone might give you a good deal.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:47 PM
cjgillette
My Feedback: (15)

I happen to have a BVM .96 special Viofan with tuned pipe that has never been run. Also have an original JMP F9F Coug kit complete and untouched. Anyone interested in taking them off my hands?
Old 11-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

What do you want for the engine?
Old 11-01-2012, 05:13 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

beong to a club> no turbines allowed>>. been talking about the lipos>> and the cd planes
Old 11-01-2012, 06:08 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I can understand some clubs banning turbines. There is noise, burned grass and high speeds, that all could be a problem if you are
in small field or too close to a city.

But banning Lipos is just dumb.
They normally don't go up in flames in midair, fires happen as you charge them and may destroy your model, but won't harm others.

And I am a gas and nitro guy. I would not like be in a club with too many regulations.

I like to see a variety of models, electric, turbines, ducted fans, large, fast, scale and whatever the members like to fly.

If you are surprised why no new members will come and sign up, it might be due to the limitations. As a newbie, I'd be scared away and look elsewhere.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Jackjet

Rcaircraftnut -

there are still people flying ICDF - I am one.
I have a 30 year old byron mig 15 with a ROSSI .81 - it flys really nice .If you know how to set it up and use good fuel with castor oil in it - my rossi runs just like a os.91 but it turns 1000 more rpm. Been flying ICDF since 1980 .I love the sound and smell of nitromethane.My mig weighs 14lbs with 30 ozs. of fuel - has a onboard glow heating system-just a 1.5 volt AA battery in a radio shack battery holder. Speed is approx. 130mph .
I only have a dead stick landing when I run out of fuel..................

I have EDFs too - but I like nitro more .

Rabbit dry lake forever !!!!!!

Jackjet
Old 11-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

As for me I think an ICDF at a jet rally would get my pilots choice vote. I would love to see one again.

We have a local field that looks like it is going to ban LiPo and already banned turbines, you could be the only jet guy there!!

BVM Sport Shark with KBV 72!! That would be awesome.

I hope youre not referring to the basin.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:44 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

beong to a club> no turbines allowed>>. been talking about the lipos>> and the cd planes
The hemet club voted at the last meeting to allow turbines again during cooler months Oct tru April.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:38 PM
roger.alli

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hi,

I don't remember ever owning a slow ICDF. Mine were all Y/A and they all hauled on OS .91's. I had a Y/A A-4 with a BVM .96/Viofan and it really hauled.
I'm with you Shaun and Jackjet. My YA F16 flew very well on a Ramtech/OS91. And my BVM Aggressor with Viojet .96 was faster than most turbine models flying today. Those who think ICDF models were slow and boring must never have seen models like this..

There is no doubt however, that even the best ICDF setups were finicky to operate, and you needed to have some skill and experience with engine tuning to be successful. These were cutting edge power plants, and you needed a good ear for a tune.

Today's turbines are far simpler to operate in comparison. So long as the wires and fuel lines are connected correctly, a turbine will run (and more importantly idle), all day. No user adjustments are required.

I'm still a fan!!

Roger

Old 11-01-2012, 08:12 PM
rcaircraftnut

Been flying and tuning nitro engines for over 20 years now. Owned my own small engine repair buiness when I was in highschool. I am no stranger to the IC engine in its many forms. I do not have $2500 to drop on a turbine no matter how nice or easy or powerfull it is. I make around $850 a week bringhome so this is going to pretty much blow my entire winter build budjet this year. But I have a 50cc, 4 .60 size and severl small electrics all profile 3D birds so I have lots to fly. Ooops, I said profile and 3D in the same sentance. You guys are prolly gonna flame me now but I have a pretty decent flame suit so go for it haha. I also have 2 screamin demons with hot nitro setups. One with a Jett Q500 .40 turning an APC 8.75x9w at around 19,000 and the other a Jett F.I.R.E. .50 on a pipe that is supposed to be fan ported to turn 20,000. Also have several kits in the works just looking to fulfill a childhood dream this spring. Any help you guys can give will be much welcomed.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:43 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

I've read though this again... and I don't think anyone has said that ICDF was "Slow and boring". But... with the exception of a few models... they were under-powered. (as far as thrust pressure)

I grew up in SoCal... and got to see a lot of the stuff as it was coming out. I flew Mile Square, Sepulveda, Whittier Narrows... and was going up to Rabbit and El Mirage back in the 80's and early 90's.

In all of my years of flying RC... I never once saw an ICDF that could get off a paved runway in a reasonable amount of time. Sure... once they got up, made a turn, and put the nose down... they would build speed. AND... they all landed "Heavy". AND... for the price tag of the high output engines, and fans... never once did I think.... "I need one of them!!"

I didn't care about "Jets" until I got my first turbine. AND... to me... the actual turbine is the draw to this end of the hobby, and not the model.

Personally... I'd be perfectly happy with a turbine on a "Big Stick".
Old 11-02-2012, 04:47 AM
f16man

I have a byron f16 and a yellow a4 skyhawk , dynamax os77 in the a4 and rossi 81 with byrofan in the f16 a real workhorse my f16 only weighs in at 12 pounds loaded with fuel and flys like a trainer, dead stick is no problem as it glides so well. now the a4 on the other hand has the glide path of a rock ha ha ,5% nitro plenty of castor and tuned pipe length is where its at for success in icdf.......have fun and show some videos when get going.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:47 AM
Shaun Evans

Dr Honda,

I hear you and I know just what you're talking about. Seen plenty of DF jets barely clear the departure end then be at near-stall until halfway through the flight. I've also seen a Y/A Starfire takeoff from its belly (that one had a BVM .96 and Viofan) and another take off with no wheels on the main struts (that one was OS .91), so they both had PLENTY of power. That was a 200mph jet on a stock DF setup. Now that I think of it, I really miss those days!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This one never sold so the guy may still have it.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=860739
Old 11-02-2012, 06:59 AM
[email protected]

balsa usa has a plane called the enforcer> model airplane news has a set of plans to convert it to ducted fan ive had 3 sold 2 wrecked one> my fault< this plane and a os92 fan engine is very nice> take off is around 200 ft> very easy to fly>if you want me to have your email i can send you some good pictures of my last on> the reaso people have trouble with there engines they play with them to much> my engine i had once set was never set for over a year> i started with the fans when they first came out allen
Old 11-02-2012, 07:27 AM
samdimaio
My Feedback: (106)

Wildcat Fuels still maufactures their line of "Jet A" fan fuels for ducted fan engines - bought a case of Jet A, 5% nitro, 22% oil a few months ago direct from them. Wildcat Jet A is the best fuel I've ever used for ducted fan engines.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Pretty much any Jet airframe model can be converted to any power system. I have a BVM F-16 with a Dyn E max in it. I could have put a turbine (have a Wren 54) or a nitro powered ( have an OS 91) Viofan or Dynamax.

No rules, no limitations when it's play time in the shop.

One of the only draw backs for me on the electrics, is the charge time for large lipo power systems. My 12s 5300s' take 75min to charge

One of the draw backs of the nitro engines for me, is the super high frequency vibration from the 23,000plus rpm of the engine. And the residual oil. But on the nitro, you just fuel and fly.

Steve
Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: R_Belluomini

As for me I think an ICDF at a jet rally would get my pilots choice vote. I would love to see one again.

BVM Sport Shark with KBV 72!! That would be awesome.

I hope youre not referring to the basin.
No no, although we had a lipo fire last week, it burned the one spot that was not burned by the last turbine fire!!

The field is the Channel Island Condors in Camarillo. Not sure yet if they ended up having to ban LiPos but that was there position a few weeks ago.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:24 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SCALECRAFT

One of the only draw backs for me on the electrics, is the charge time for large lipo power systems. My 12s 5300s' take 75min to charge

Steve
Steve,

You need a better charger or power supply then.... I can charge my 12s 6600mah set of batteries in 20 minutes with my powerlab 8. What are you using to charge your batteries? 75 min is way too long in today's world

I can give you the details of my charging set up if you want.... just let me know
Old 11-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Tampaflyer
My Feedback: (42)

fly EDFand still fly one IDF a top gun f-15 and rebuilding a twin dynamax f-22

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71627.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	1816999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41651.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1817000  
Old 11-03-2012, 05:37 AM
Jackjet

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

In all of my years of flying RC... I never once saw an ICDF that could get off a paved runway in a reasonable amount of time. Sure... once they got up, made a turn, and put the nose down... they would build speed. AND... they all landed ''Heavy''. AND... for the price tag of the high output engines, and fans... never once did I think.... ''I need one of them!!''

I didn't care about ''Jets'' until I got my first turbine. AND... to me... the actual turbine is the draw to this end of the hobby, and not the model.

Personally... I'd be perfectly happy with a turbine on a ''Big Stick''

you never saw one of mine fly.................................

jackjet
Old 11-03-2012, 03:09 PM
rcaircraftnut

I have to say that some of you are rite on with the info I was looking for. Some of you however missed the point but that's ok. Pls allow me to clear up a few things. I mean no offense when I say this but as far as sound goes your opinion is not included in my decision making process. I love the sound of a piped 2 stroke screaming for all its worth. I am old school. I don't like the idea of having to take batteries our and charge em every flight or risk my expensive model burning to nothing. I gave the edfs a good hard look and I still want nitro. I just made a deal with a fellow out east for 3 unbuilt kits, 3 fans and 3 engines. Also got a deal pending pickup in Ca for a complete fan/engine setup. I will be building some jets this winter. I will do a build thread if enough are interested. I won't be adding 3 lbs of scale details however as I like planes that perform well over looking super perfect. So no full cockpits no bombs drop tanks etc. If I do retracts they will most likely be straight wire ugly gear when in the down position. I am not sure if I will start with the Regal Eagle or do the Y/A A-4 first. Two very different builds for sure. Getting both in the deal so they should both get built. Unless I find someone who just has to talk me out of one of em lol. It has been known to happen. I still want a yellow F-4 but have been looking at the F-16 pretty closely as well. Looks like I will need to buy a trailer haha.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.