Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Marking servo leads

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Marking servo leads

Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 AM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marking servo leads

I bought some marking sheets from Pro-mark, they were cool color coded marked flat stickers that wrap the wire then stick to themselves, but they started to fall off the very next day. Weird since it was adhesive side to adhesive side, but It didn't look as neat as I wanted it to anyway, so any good techniques to mark my leads neatly?
Thanks, Jay
Old 02-05-2013, 06:39 AM
swansons
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Marking servo leads

I use 1/4 inch yellow DuBro shrink tubing. Cut about 1/4" for each lead you want to label and slip them over the connector onto the wire. Use a fine tip permanent marker to mark the label, then heat. They will snug down tightly and are still very readable.

John S.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:42 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

ORIGINAL: BlueBus320

I bought some marking sheets from Pro-mark, they were cool color coded marked flat stickers that wrap the wire then stick to themselves, but they started to fall off the very next day. Weird since it was adhesive side to adhesive side, but It didn't look as neat as I wanted it to anyway, so any good techniques to mark my leads neatly?
Thanks, Jay
Seen this before. For some reason the glue does not want to adhere to itself. I solved it by cutting a small piece of paper to insert between the layers so the glue is bonding to each side of the paper and not itself. Kindof a PITA but it worked for me. YRMV.

PaulD
Old 02-05-2013, 06:44 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

You will get a bunch of replies; the problem I found with those premade labels is they fall off or the lettering or numbers rub off when exposed to fuels or cleaners, etc; the ones you can make with your own label maker probably has the same results; what I use are different colored Mini Zip-Ties and I wrap the tie around a single Servo wire just before the wire enters into the servo connector, cut off the remaining Tail, do so on both Male & Female Connectors; the best source for colored Mini Zip Ties has to be Harbor Freight. So all you do is match the same colored Zip Tie to each other, visual and won't fade or fall off, if you run out of colors you can always use 2 colors on each wire ie: Black and Red together, etc.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-pi...ies-69409.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11719.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1848342  
Old 02-05-2013, 06:45 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm surprised the Pro-Mark labels are falling off. Mine seem to stick ok.

Sometimes I color-code leads with heat shrink or tape but mostly I use 1/4" tape from an inexpensive label maker.

Craig

Name:	Rp43650.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1848343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22254.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1848344  
Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 AM
siclick33

How much do you want to spend?

http://sites.dymo.com/Solutions/Pages/Labels.aspx?cid=1025(DYMO)&gid=1005(DYMO)

These look good but you need the DYMO printer and the heatshrink isn't cheap. I bought the label maker specifically for this purpose but never got round to trying it.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 AM
FalconWings

ORIGINAL: dasintex

You will get a bunch of replies; the problem I found with those premade labels is they fall off or the lettering or numbers rub off when exposed to fuels or cleaners, etc; the ones you can make with your own label maker probably has the same results; what I use are different colored Mini Zip-Ties and I wrap the tie around a single Servo wire just before the wire enters into the servo connector, do so on both Male & Female Connectors; the best source for colored Mini Zip Ties has to be Harbor Freight. So all you do is match the same colored Zip Tie to each other, visual and won't fade or fall off, if you run out of colors you can always use 2 colors on each wire ie: Black and Red together, etc.

Smilarily, I use Monokote colored trim tape. I place a ribbon just shy of the lead. If I run out of colors, I add a second color band.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

I won these at Kentucky Jets... I will buy more when I run out. They work great... Click on the servo lead tags.( Bottom right ).

http://www.franktiano.com/scaleproductFrameset.htm

Danno
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 AM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

I use a P-Touch labeler (from Staples for about $ 40). The model I have uses the 'TZ' tape/labels which is available in sizes from 1/4 inch to 1 inch wide. The 1/4 inch wide is good for servo leads and labeling other things as well inside the airframe.

When I just want to label my servo leads by color, I use small pieces if Monokote Trim Sheets .... cut about an inch long by 1/4 inch wide .... and folded over on itself (adhesive to adhesive) to make a little flag/tag.

Bob
Old 02-05-2013, 07:22 AM
dasintex

We can beat this to death for sure, great ideas; however, anytime you use something that needs or has an adhesive, much like what has been suggested, can and usually will peel off or fall off, not in all cases but a lot of time this will happen, and espeacially when exposed to any fuels or cleaners for example at clean up time; I'm not saying my Zip Tie method is the only way to do it, I use this method because it doesn't rely on any adhesive, easy to apply, won't stick on your fingers when applying or to other areas and no mess to clean up if you have to take off, use what ever method works, I will vouch for the P Touch Labeler, I have one and it works great, but I wouldn't use it to mark servo leads.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:30 AM
BlueBus320

I don't like the look of paper tags anymore, atleast not at the receiver end. It starts too look a lil sloppy when all leads are plugged in with the paper hanging. I think I like these heat shrink pre-marked at the receiver, then the same on the wing connect end in conjunction with the color coded tie wraps so I don't have to read at the feild while assembling. I figure if I get fuel in my receiver.... The ones I looked at on harbour freight, looked as if the only small (for marking leads) were all blue, I'll have to search the site more. Anyone try these?

Name:	Sq47634.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	1848365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58656.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	1848366  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 AM
dasintex

You may have to actually go to a Store, sometimes not everything is always listed On-Line, but I have seen them and purchased the small ones in multi colored assortments from Harbor Freight; most other Stores ie: Lowes, Home Depot, Automotive Shops; have small ZipTies but only in Black & White. I think Radio Shack carries Multi colored Zip Ties.

Those Pre Marked Shrink Wrap Labels you have shown, I would bet the Lettering will rub off easily.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For some reason, I've never had much problem with label-maker labels comming off. I also like to use them for battery charging leads because I can print the number of cells/Mah and battery type on them. With batteries buried in the jet, it helps me remember what kind they are and charging settings.

Craig

Name:	Eb86975.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1848385  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:08 AM
ColinW

I find that Tipp-ex (white typewriter correction fluid) works if you don't need to know the function but just want to connect the correct leads together. I use 1 dot on both sides, then 2 dots etc. It does not seem to come off easily.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:46 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

This is what I use. Comes in colors or numbers. Never had on come loose.

Last edited by bcovish; 06-07-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 PM
leopaul

I have a heatshrink printer , it make the cleanest label!!

http://www.cabletieguys.com/dymo-lab...el-printer.htm
Old 02-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

I have several different colors of monocote trim sheets.
I use a paper punch that makes a 3/16 dot. I put a dot on each lead.
The dots stick very good.
I also make out a idiot sheet that tells me what colors go to each channel.
Works for me for many years

Hoss
Old 02-05-2013, 12:41 PM
jblloyd
My Feedback: (17)

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...1/25/tech-tip/
Old 02-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Spridal
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: dasintex

You will get a bunch of replies; the problem I found with those premade labels is they fall off or the lettering or numbers rub off when exposed to fuels or cleaners, etc; the ones you can make with your own label maker probably has the same results; what I use are different colored Mini Zip-Ties and I wrap the tie around a single Servo wire just before the wire enters into the servo connector, cut off the remaining Tail, do so on both Male & Female Connectors; the best source for colored Mini Zip Ties has to be Harbor Freight. So all you do is match the same colored Zip Tie to each other, visual and won't fade or fall off, if you run out of colors you can always use 2 colors on each wire ie: Black and Red together, etc.

I use the same method. Works great!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:05 PM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...4mm_x_1m_.html
Old 02-05-2013, 04:05 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

use finger nail polish or paint from your local hobby shop paint one side only so u can tell the right way to plug it into
Old 02-05-2013, 04:09 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (344)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never liked the look of paper tags. I just color code my leads with different color paint pens.
A simple dab of paint from the tip of the paint pen is all it takes.

Kind of like these.

Name:	Ki18716.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	1848562  
Old 02-05-2013, 04:40 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BlueBus320

Thanks, Jay
I Purchased the same from BVM. the same problem. I had marked a lot of leads and in the morning, all were on the bottom of the fuse. I actually am going to let BVM know.

Behzad
Old 02-05-2013, 05:00 PM
larryak
My Feedback: (32)

ORIGINAL: swansons

I use 1/4 inch yellow DuBro shrink tubing. Cut about 1/4" for each lead you want to label and slip them over the connector onto the wire. Use a fine tip permanent marker to mark the label, then heat. They will snug down tightly and are still very readable.

John S.
Smart way to do it. Thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Personally, I like to make all my own leads and extensions. Besides being able to customize the lengths it allows me to use various plugs. My favorite is the ashlok type plug where you can have up to 12 wires in a single plug. Assuming you run all your leads correctly you don't have to label anything as the plug only goes together one way.
Other options are MPX type plugs, either the green ones or the red ones from Dreamworks.
If you want to have a bundle of connections with each lead being unique you could use color coded plugs like this:
http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/comp...gs-p-2619.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.