Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Aluminum servo arms too thick?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Aluminum servo arms too thick?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:35 AM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum servo arms too thick?

Hello all...

I have the futaba aluminum servo arms that are on my jet. They're about an inch long and for some reason the sullivan golden clevises that are for 4-40 won't close enough to put the little keeper clip on? I've resorted to grinding down about 1/32 down off the arm... basically cleaned off the anodizing to get to bare metal and now the keepers go on. Is this safe? They still seem strong, but I'd hate to lose a jet cause the servo arms are fatigued? What metal servo arms are guys using w/ the sullivan gloden type 4-40 clevises? The stock FeiBao ones were too cheap and bent really easy! Thanks

Z
Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Aluminum servo arms too thick?

Usually, when I use metal servo arms I also use ball links. I cannot recommend clevises on a jet's control surface. I have had the little pins in the middle break off. With that said, I am sure it will be fine but just my .02
Old 03-01-2013, 11:54 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

They make both thick heavy duty and thin arms. You can grid the arms down to fit the clevis.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:12 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the futaba metal arms on everything. do my best to avoid clevi (is that plural for clevis) Ball links are much more secure, however you may have to cut the hatch covers wider since they leave a bigger foot print.

My buddy has some hardware on his tomahawk futura that is SWEET. Little metal clevis with a bolt, very nice.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:50 PM
jzuniga

Thanks guys... I figure the grinding down a little bit would be ok ;-)
For what it's worth, I've never had any problems with the Sullivan golden clevises and I've seen dozens of RC Jet guys' use them with no problems...

Z
Old 03-01-2013, 03:33 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Jamie,

You are fine. The MOST important part is to ensure the clip is installed which you are doing. There was a big thread where a guy lost a jet because of one of these clevises braking. Turns out he did not use the clip I think for the reason you have had to grid down the arm. Sullivan stepped up and did a bunch of testing to verify and posted the results. There is nothing wrong with these clevises if applied properly.

PaulD
Old 03-01-2013, 03:35 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's the thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11..._1/key_/tm.htm

PaulD
Old 03-01-2013, 03:42 PM
jzuniga

Thanks Paul...

Z
Old 03-01-2013, 03:50 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jamie. I file mine if I go that way but don't grind them till they get hot. You can make them soft by heating them up to much.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:03 PM
jzuniga

ORIGINAL: hooker53

Jamie. I file mine if I go that way but don't grind them till they get hot. You can make them soft by heating them up to much.
Good to know... like I said I just lightly grind w/ my dremel and it's just about 1/64-1/32. I don't think they get hot at all, but I'll keep that in mind from now on...

Z
Old 03-01-2013, 04:35 PM
rcand

ORIGINAL: jzuniga

Hello all...

I have the futaba aluminum servo arms that are on my jet. They're about an inch long and for some reason the sullivan golden clevises that are for 4-40 won't close enough to put the little keeper clip on? I've resorted to grinding down about 1/32 down off the arm... basically cleaned off the anodizing to get to bare metal and now the keepers go on. Is this safe? They still seem strong, but I'd hate to lose a jet cause the servo arms are fatigued? What metal servo arms are guys using w/ the sullivan gloden type 4-40 clevises? The stock FeiBao ones were too cheap and bent really easy! Thanks

Z
If you need a metal servo arm for strength, then you should use a quality ball link. A friend of mine just had the pin in a Sullivan clevis break inside of the hole in a horn on an aileron. Luckily saw something odd when it was on the grounds before flying.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Boating Bob
My Feedback: (4)

Metal swiveling on metal no lubrication. Hum
Old 03-01-2013, 05:15 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Boating Bob

Metal swiveling on metal no lubrication. Hum

Plastic swiveling on metal, bolted to G10/carbon....
Old 03-01-2013, 07:05 PM
killerG
My Feedback: (32)

On the Futaba servo arms the ones that are measured in inchs are the thick ones which are .122 thickness. The Metric servo arms are thinner at .083 thickness. Don't know why there is a difference between them. I always buy the metric ones, the clevis will fit these without any problems.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcand

Hello all...

Z
If you need a metal servo arm for strength, then you should use a quality ball link. A friend of mine just had the pin in a Sullivan clevis break inside of the hole in a horn on an aileron. Luckily saw something odd when it was on the grounds before flying.

Then he didnt use the hardware correctly or maintain his equipment. Go READ the thread posted in this thread. You will see how strong those sullivan golden clevis are!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Bill Hatcher
My Feedback: (2)

I use a lot of these in the planes that I build. Never had any problems with them.
I can't get the photo to up-load so here is the link.
http://www.swbmfg.com/products/Futab...or-Clevis.html
Old 03-01-2013, 09:58 PM
jzuniga

ORIGINAL: Bill Hatcher

I use a lot of these in the planes that I build. Never had any problems with them.
I can't get the photo to up-load so here is the link.
http://www.swbmfg.com/products/Futab...or-Clevis.html
Are those 4-40 Bill?

Z
Old 03-02-2013, 06:40 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

ORIGINAL: essyou35

Usually, when I use metal servo arms I also use ball links. I cannot recommend clevises on a jet's control surface. I have had the little pins in the middle break off. With that said, I am sure it will be fine but just my .02
+1
Old 03-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Bill Hatcher
My Feedback: (2)

The arms from SWB come with the Dubro Plastic clevis but you can use the sullivan as well.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:35 AM
jzuniga

ORIGINAL: Bill Hatcher

The arms from SWB come with the Dubro Plastic clevis but you can use the sullivan as well.
I like those, what I meant is, are the rods 4-40 size? The rods from the servo arm to the control surface?

Z
Old 03-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Starfighter
My Feedback: (78)

Re. "Bloating Bob's" comment about metal swiveling on metal... No problem here, as the servo arm is Aluminum and the clevis pin is Steel. The Aluminum is softer and will not cause the clevis pin to gall or seize.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:04 PM
rcand

ORIGINAL: airraptor

ORIGINAL: rcand

Hello all...

Z

Then he didnt use the hardware correctly or maintain his equipment. Go READ the thread posted in this thread. You will see how strong those sullivan golden clevis are!!!
I disagree. He is a very well known jet modeler in this country and south america and I know the stuff was maintained correctly. It simply broke.