Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Modellbau UK Kestrel

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Modellbau UK Kestrel

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:57 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Modellbau UK Kestrel

The latest incarnation of the Falcon 120 is the Modellbau UK Kestrel, this ARFT will be the subject of a review here as I go through the assembly process (being of the old kit school I can't bring myself to call it a build), It will be interesting to see the differences between this version and the Falcon 120 as I still have one of the originals, from first observations the Kestrel is a big step beyond what was an IC airframe that required work to make it function as a turbine airframe to a fully functional turbine ARTF.

Some quick observations, Inside the wings lots of carbon fibre is evident at the spar positions and the retract beam area, unfortunately some of the carbon cloth over the retract beam area is not wetted out sufficiently onto the beam itself, but nothing that can't be put right with a bit of Hysol, the beams themselves are supported onto only two wing ribs, IMO these should have been extended onto a third rib, time will tell if my opinion is flawed. Nice crisp moulded well fitting wheel wells are also suppled.

Some very nice lazer cut servo box's are supplied to be fitted into the tail booms and wings, even to the point that the suggested servo's type is lazer cut into the base plate.

Good quality 3mm push rods and carbon horns are also supplied, the canopy is very a nice moulding of sufficiently thick material that it should take the hurly burly of life in the hanger and out on the field, this is a big step up from the original meega offering that split and broke as soon as you tried to fit it.

Nice moulded fuel tank included as well, goes in well once you take out the cross brace on the top former mid cockpit area, this is already perforated for that purpose.

Mike

Having trouble downloading pics, will try later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89578.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1867872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90889.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1867873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44580.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1867874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10104.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1867875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57736.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1867876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94815.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	369.5 KB
ID:	1867877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47825.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1867878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52413.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1867879  

Old 03-29-2013, 06:58 AM
BaldEagel

Default RE: Modellbau UK Kestrel

Pics showing bits and piece's of the Kestrel, including some of the internal reinforcement in the wings for the spars and UC mounts.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37126.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1867880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14171.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1867881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89958.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1867882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83350.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1867883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63820.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1867884  
Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Jetmodeljones
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has this one got full flaps like the Navycat. The Falcon and Tornado had the split flaps
Old 03-29-2013, 03:51 PM
BaldEagel

Jetmodlejones

This has split flaps as per the original, but the taper on the rear edge has been corrected to provide full flap movement.

Mike

299 hits so far, obviously a lot of interest in this one.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Looks good looking forward to seeing the assembly !
Looking at the pic I thought it was like the Navycat as well with a full flap, although my Navycat flap system is working well I do prefer the split flap version.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:50 PM
kmrcjets

hi guy's
these are the models i get to pick up from the shipping agent on tuesday
can't realy see why anyone would want to call them anything other than
a V3 falcon. you have names now kestrel, tornado and falcon. lets be
honest they are still comeing out of the same factory in china. it is very
good to see that the quality is improving with each new variant and some
people can no longer say these models are not turbine rated. which is
what some people in australia have been know to say in the past.
when i get my shipment on monday i will post pics and make a comment
on what i have in hand
regards
ken
kmrc jets pty ltd
kingtech turbines australia
Old 03-29-2013, 05:26 PM
ModellbauUK

Hi Ken

Yes you are right.  We decided to adopt a new name purely because the current model is so far removed from the original Falcon 120, construction wise, a fresh new name was needed for the UK market.

We have added our own touch with our own molded canopy and servo trays as standard in our kits.

Also, our swept back turbine mount is included which means no more Dremel surgery to the rear fairing and the fitting of a FOD guard now possible.

We are also looking at an EDF version utilizing a very powerful 120mm unit on 12S which hopefully will appeal.

Btw. If you don't know we have a bird of prey in the uk called a Kestrel. It can hover and fly fast. A bit like this model. Flies slow as well as fast.  A bit corny I know but it is my favorite British bird and the kestrel silhouette decal does look pretty smart on the white wing.

Shorter retracts too so should look much better on the ground not like its on stilts

Still love my tornado which I'll be flying this very cold weekend at Long Marston jma jet meet.

Our Kestrel will be ready to ship mid April.

Ian

Old 03-29-2013, 06:01 PM
kmrcjets

hi ian
i'm not against a different name in any way but i'm going to stick with the V3 super falcon
name as i've marketed them as falcons previously. we also have swept back turbine mounts
and we use trim aircraft undercariages we also shortened up the trailing link struts.
the work that has gone into making this model a better turbine platform is very good.
now if only the could apply thisworkto their formost and turn it into another turbine platform
that is not so much drama to put together
regards
ken
kmrc jets oz
Old 03-30-2013, 12:13 AM
ModellbauUK

That's good. Think i'll reserve this thread to Mike now for his review and comments & questions on the model itself. Mike's review will benefit everyone with the new version of the model.

Sounds like there still may be further room for improvement, if the retract mount proves to be an issue, and with the popularity increasing as a first trainer jet/general club hack this can only be a good thing.

Ian
Old 03-30-2013, 12:29 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike, download resizer from Microsoft, works really well.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:40 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a Modellbau USA product or sourced from somewhere else?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:24 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: madmodelman

Mike, download resizer from Microsoft, works really well.
Doesn't work very well with a MacBook, thanks anyway, but found I can re-size on the mac without any additional software, should have know it would be easy with a Mac.

Mike
Old 03-30-2013, 03:27 AM
ModellbauUK

This is direct from China and not from ModellbauUSA who source there's from somewhere else according to Henry but we are not going to get involved in these discussions here as I am completely up front with where ours come from.

We make or own canopies, decals, swept back turbine mounts and servo mounts right here in the UK.

We are considering distributing to shops in the UK and Europe and are in talks currently with various parties. If anyone else would like to stock the model let me know as I'm always happy to talk. The more we bring in the cheaper the model.

Ian
Old 03-30-2013, 03:32 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet Henry's happy with that [X(]
Old 03-30-2013, 03:56 AM
Jetmodeljones
Banned

From the pics it looks very good. A larger hatch on the bottom over the original would be good for the wing fixing

Also when available the new Kingtech K60 would be the ideal engine for these. I have always thought the K80 was too big for these planes
Old 03-30-2013, 04:07 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: Jetmodeljones

From the pics it looks very good. A larger hatch on the bottom over the original would be good for the wing fixing

Also when available the new Kingtech K60 would be the ideal engine for these. I have always thought the K80 was too big for these planes
I have the wing fixing covered, watch this space.

Have not seen any of the official specifications on the K60 yet, but that being said I plan to fit my JetMunt G90 to it, should be fun, certainly give it a good shake down.

Mike
Old 03-30-2013, 04:09 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike, sorry, wrong assumption!

Am I correct in assuming a P80 would not fit in this model, I have a pal just getting into turbines,

Gary.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:19 AM
BaldEagel

The problem with the P80 is its weight and physical size, I did fit one to an original Falcon 120 heavily modified, the rear turbine support had to be split in half and a Kangaroo mount used, the two side extensions of the turbine support platform where extended back into the fus with 10mm carbon rods Hysol'd to the inboard root ribs, a lot of work and not worth it in the end as the weight made the thing a bit ungainly, especially considering the slow spool up of the P80, so many better turbines available now.

Don't mean to put a damper on his enthusiasm, but I would consider getting a more modern smaller/lighter turbine to fit this eminently suitable beginners airframe.

Mike
Old 03-30-2013, 04:22 AM
Jetmodeljones
Banned

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

The problem with the P80 is its weight and physical size, I did fit one to an original Falcon 120 heavily modified, the rear turbine support had to be split in half and a Kangaroo mount used, the two side extensions of the turbine support platform where extended back into the fus with 10mm carbon rods Hysol'd to the inboard root ribs, a lot of work and not worth it in the end as the weight made the thing a bit ungainly, especially considering the slow spool up of the P80, so many better turbines available now.

Don't mean to put a damper on his enthusiasm, but I would consider getting a more moden smaller/lighter turbine to fit this eminently suitable beginners airframe.

Mike
Always a lot of Wren 54's on the BMFA second hand which would be ideal for a beginner
Old 03-30-2013, 04:25 AM
747junky

The plane is the exact thing as the tornado. Henry did say that this last batch was made in China. The only thing that does not make sense to me Ian is that you are trying to distribute and airplane that anybody can buy from Fly Model Factory in china. Not sure what your charging but if it is more expensive than £262 then your overcharging everybody. Henry is selling the exact same plane for $399 usd. I do bet one thing though your airplane will not hold up to a Tornado in high speed flight. I talked to Albert in Florida Jets which is one of Modellbau's builders and they do a few things to the wings booms and mounting brackets that give it alot if added strength. Anyway doesn't matter Ian your bring out an airplane that is already being sold for a very inexpensive price if your charging more than the price above your a rip off.

If anybody wants to buy a Kestral or what ever Ian wants to call it direct from china call Fly Model Factory at+86 130-1634-1881 speak to Maggie she speaks English. Or email them at [email protected] if you buy direct shipping is only $165 anywhere in Europe. Buy 5 or more and get discount
Old 03-30-2013, 05:09 AM
BaldEagel

Reserved for assembly photo's

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-30-2013, 06:02 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: Jetmodeljones

Always a lot of Wren 54's on the BMFA second hand which would be ideal for a beginner
I always wonder why there are a lot of them for sale.

Mike
Old 03-30-2013, 06:20 AM
Gixxy
My Feedback: (18)

The laser cut servo trays and a canopy made of a quality plastic are a great touch !
Old 03-30-2013, 11:31 AM
747junky

Ian you shill. Why do you have my post erased. You don't want people to know we're you buy your so called Kestral so you can gouge customers. Like I said if you are selling the kit more than £262 then your gouging the hell out of everybody. Modellbau sells exactly the same plane for that price and if you think you can go change the name of an airplane and charge double then your crazy. Like I said before if anybody in Europe wants to by this Kestral thing go direct to Fly Model Factory they will sell you the kits and ship them for what they are worth and shipping is only $160 usd. You can reach them at [email protected] ask for Maggie she speaks English her number is+86 130-1634-1881 if you want to call. Don't get ripped off by this guy.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:11 PM
jetster81

I honestly don't know why people keep flogging this one, If you really must re hash it at least do a a major re work. change the fuz so that the inner wings are part of it and incorporate the u/c in the moulding so it can sit on its wheels when not complete, make the booms fit through the wing section and not on top as this will make the outer panels a plug in affair and assembly easier as the fuz/booms/stab could be left in place for storage/transportation.If these changes were implemented and good quality control implemented then you really could be on to a winner. The original is a good flyer,I had one with a 120 edf on 12 cells and it went well but was fragile and unless the landing was a greaser on tarmac the uc mountings would give up.The general construction was poor and not glued in many locations which was a pity.
I am not saying that the construction is the same on the "Kestrel" but it is from the same factory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.