Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FEJ vs Skymaster-Advice from owners!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FEJ vs Skymaster-Advice from owners!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:21 AM
spike223
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FEJ vs Skymaster-Advice from owners!

Hi

I'm debating about ordering a F-16 from one of them.But which one?I understand that there was issues in the past but now both companies,apparentely,did improved their models.So owners of such:Need your valuable advice!!!

No debate about why I should not buying asian ARF please...If you want too,make your own tread .So don't bash mine!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:39 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FEJ vs Skymaster-Advice from owners!

Guess the first question is what size/scale?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:43 AM
spike223

You are right Sean:1-6 scale
Old 04-01-2013, 06:53 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

These are based on my findings:

Support:
You will get good support from fly eagle Jet, and they have North American rep; James who is active in the jet scenes and responds to emails and phone calls in a timely manner.
Skymaster is going to be email only, they respond to emails in a reasonable amount of times, some times its longer, but you can't get instant response as you can with Fly Eagle. You can purcahse your plane via BVM, however, it will be at full listed price, with a cash option discount.

Price:
Fly Eagle will generally be about 20-30% cheaper than skymaster for the same aircraft. Fly Eagle will be more eager to negotiate a lower price, Skymaster will not, they used to but BVM clamped down and now skymaster at best can give you 5% off if you go directly with them instead of via BVM.

Options:
Fly Eagle offers more options than Skymaster, this includes factory installed light kits, servo installs, and will even do custom things on a 1 off basis such as a weathered paint job upon request. Both companies offer options that speed up the build, however, Fly Eagle has more options such as glueing the canopy, installing operating flaps, canopy, slats e.t.c and the prices for these services are cheaper.

Quality (Finish):
Fly eagle has for the most part a SPORT-SCALE finish and details, meaning major rivets and features will be present, but not very detailed, they also tend to get sloppy with the paint and will have a lot of missed areas or components that need to be touched up. At 5 feet you can't tell but if you wan to look at your jet up close you'll be a little dissapointed at the lack of detail. They also do some ridiculous low quality decals, with a large poorly stretched pixelated decal that has been cleared over.
SkyMaster's Detail is much better, with all rivets proper created, scale features properly molded, and the paint finish is of a much higher quality. You can see the detail up close as well so if the finish is important to you, Skymaster is the superior choice.

Quality (Accessories):
Fly Eagle Offers missiles, cockpits, and other misc items for there planes, for the most part they work, however, compared to skymaster, the quality of these accessories is not as good. Skymaster Cockpits are far better, Fly Eagle looks like something you would put together from a happy meal box. the same is true for the missiles, Skymaster has much better looking missiles.

Quality (construction):
This is a bit controversial: Skymaster has a longer history and people swear by there jets having put on hundreds of flights, but they are also very Heavy compared to the Fly Eagle Honey Comb jets, on my Bae Hawk 1.45 scale, the Fly Eagle air frame alone was 8.5 Lbs lighter than the Skymaster, and the Fly eagle is actually a bit larger! Not enough flights have been put off on the Honey Comb Jets, but so far it seems to be working and Fly Eagle have switched all of there construction over to honey comb.

What would I buy next? Probably a Fly Eagle, the reason being is that they seem to be pointed in the right track, constantly taking feedback from customers and making changes as time goes by, they also have become very aware of there reputation and will do what it it takes to keep buyers Happy. That and the fact that they have 3x the selection of jets that skymaster has and are releasing jets for all types of turbines. I think the company can only move forward from there.

Finally Price is something that weighs heavily with me, that is one of the reasons I'll go FEJ because my jet is ALMOST as good as the Skymaster, but it significantly lighter.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:58 AM
DiscoWings

Note; the above is comparing the ARF PLUS pro series, to the FEJ series, I haven't fooled with the extreme jets form skymaster
Old 04-01-2013, 07:06 AM
spike223

Wow Discowings Thanks for your detailed imput!Very appreciated!!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:38 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

FEJ also has Lowell Wexler, he lives in CA and he does orders and will answer any questions. Something to add FEJ is offering electric gear and brakes now with most jets, they still have a couple in testing.
And they offer light kits as well forgot that one, I have never had a skymaster jet just fly eagle so I can only give one sided details. If you need any info on the f-16/15/14 let me know.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:42 AM
spike223

Thanks FenderBean!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 AM
bluescoobydoo

if price is a issue and you are not looking for detail jet legend offer a 1/6 f16
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71642.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1869079  
Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To me an airplane is as good as it's landing gear.

I can't comment on FEJ since i have never had or operated one, but Skymasters has the best landing gear I've ever seen. Not only from a reliability point of view, but also how sturdy it is, how scale it looks and how the combination of dampening/rebound works.

Look at some videos of Likai droping airplanes from 5 feet. People are impressed at how they can sustain the impact. I'm way more impressed at how it absorbs the energy without bouncing one bit.

So to me, that would be the deciding factor.

But thats just my personal opinion...
Old 04-01-2013, 09:20 AM
kasi122

Hi,

I own the JL F16 1/6 and i am very happy with the plane. It flies really good, the gear is also a dream and now they made the hole plane new
and much lighter. JL flies the plane with a T12 Turbine!!. I think for the price it is the best choice (for me)

best regards

Andi
Old 04-01-2013, 09:47 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

Price:
Fly Eagle will generally be about 20-30% cheaper than skymaster for the same aircraft. Fly Eagle will be more eager to negotiate a lower price, Skymaster will not, they used to but BVM clamped down and now skymaster at best can give you 5% off if you go directly with them instead of via BVM.

Perhaps not, I would verify. I wanted to by a replacement 1/8 F-16 which I lost last month and since my kit was a FEJ I contacted them to get a replacement airframe. Because of the new honeycomb process (which in my opinion is completely unnecessary and not done correctly anyway), airframes have gone up in cost. I ended up buying an SM F-16 from BVM, which was significantly less than FEJ's offering.

Not sure if for 1/6th it would end up similarily.....but SM may still be a more affordable option, with proven hardware.
I do like that FEJ kits are fully customizable (sp?), and the FEJ team in USA is pretty good to deal with.

I've owned both brands, they're both pretty decent. I would stay away from Jet Legend at all cost. They are really good at selling you a kit and then offer no aftermarket support. Screw them.

Regards,
David
Old 04-01-2013, 09:50 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

PS, buying through BVM gives you the opportunity to pay with a Credit Card, which keeps your money on the west side of the planet in case things don't turn out well and you need protection from your bank. Just a thought.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 PM
EDFJim
My Feedback: (2)

5 months and still waiting on orders from FEJ ... that's too long
Old 04-01-2013, 02:18 PM
spike223

Don't want to be nosy but:What did you order Jim?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:44 PM
EDFJim

F-18 1/7 and wings for 1/7.5 F-14
Old 04-01-2013, 03:22 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Personally, I'd only way I'd order a Chinese ARF is 1) Comp ARF through my rep, 2) Skymaster through BVM, 3) any of the aircraft available through Global Jet Club. There are just too many horror stories otherwise and I've had good luck with the above 3 methods...

Bob
Old 04-01-2013, 04:05 PM
DiscoWings

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

Price:

Perhaps not, I would verify. I wanted to by a replacement 1/8 F-16 which I lost last month and since my kit was a FEJ I contacted them to get a replacement airframe. Because of the new honeycomb process (which in my opinion is completely unnecessary and not done correctly anyway), airframes have gone up in cost. I ended up buying an SM F-16 from BVM, which was significantly less than FEJ's offering.

Not sure if for 1/6th it would end up similarily.....but SM may still be a more affordable option, with proven hardware.
I do like that FEJ kits are fully customizable (sp?), and the FEJ team in USA is pretty good to deal with.

I've owned both brands, they're both pretty decent. I would stay away from Jet Legend at all cost. They are really good at selling you a kit and then offer no aftermarket support. Screw them.

Regards,
David

I'm sure someone is going to yell, But:

1/6 F-16 shipped form FEJ standard is 4350 shipped, from Sky master is 6000.00 this includes the essentials like pipe, fuel tanks, cockpit, landing gear and paint.

for $6,000 you can get the 1.5.5 advanced version shipped with the color scheme of your choice and that includes the air brake, parachute, tail hook, add another $475.00 and you can get a full light kit and 2 wing tip missiles. So unless skymaster has special pricing that I am ineligible for FEJ is cheaper overall.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:27 PM
pajaro
My Feedback: (51)

You are not the only one Jim. I placed an order sense oct till today I have it get it yet. Is frustrating just saing!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:30 PM
vega406
My Feedback: (73)

i have many FEJ Jets from Lowel F-35 F-100 F-14 F-15 F-16 F-86 and Tornado and all fly awesome and i am somewhat new to jets... The 1/1.5 scale F-16 was built at L.A. Jets 09 box to maiden in 2 days and i call it my fuel and fly plane very simple to setup and fly here is video of it there...start at about 2.09 you will see my Tornado and F-4 from Lowel then vid of F-16 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-OEoyjLr9g.. P.S. now he is talking me into the Viper
Old 04-01-2013, 06:47 PM
EDFJim

Very..
Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 PM
jet time
My Feedback: (75)

ORIGINAL: vega406

i have many FEJ Jets from Lowel F-35 F-100 F-14 F-15 F-16 F-86 and Tornado and all fly awesome and i am somewhat new to jets... The 1/1.5 scale F-16 was built at L.A. Jets 09 box to maiden in 2 days and i call it my fuel and fly plane very simple to setup and fly here is video of it there...start at about 2.09 you will see my Tornado and F-4 from Lowel then vid of F-16 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-OEoyjLr9g.. P.S. now he is talking me into the Viper

Bill, that was a long time ago! That was the maiden and the nose wheel came loose. Flew it the rest of the weekend without incident. Great flying plane.

Jim, you are right. With the factory moving to the new facility and the the Chinese New Year, it did put things behind. For this I am very sorry...and to any one else that has an order in. They are getting cought up now and will get these out as fast as they can. The plan is in the works to avoid this from happening ever again in the future. Please bare with our growing pains for just a bit longer. It will be worth it I assure you!

Lowell
Old 04-02-2013, 03:27 AM
Doolittleraider
My Feedback: (72)

........ looks like something you would put together from a happy meal box
Thats f-ing funny. I have not owned fly eagle, but have owned a few skymaster jets. In addition all the people I fly with here in fla fly skymaster. The paint finish is outstanding. Also skymaster's ability to match pictures and reproduce a custom scheme is excellent. The landing gear, as Jack mentioned, is very high quality. BVM and skymaster may charge more, but the service at BVM is worth the price.
Skymaster also benifits from BVMs input and feedback on their jets.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:05 AM
Carbon-Customs

i had en skymaster HAWK 100 and i have a FEJ F16 1:5,5 both are around 5 years old. both non sandwich fuses...

i have opened the wings of both of the birds, and the build quality of the wings are FAR better in the FEJ than in the skymaster.

the gear sux on the FEJ and skymaster gear i Very high quality.

the surface detail is very good on both models.. i cant say that skymaster is better in the 1:6 F16, but ive seen on the hawk they made raised rivets, and they should be flush.

ive just ordered a new 1:4,6 F16 from FEJ, and i really hope the build quality is great...

ive also made (painted and finnished) a tomahawk F5, tomahawk mk66 hawk, and had my fingers in a mibo draken... and i think the exterior detail of the china jets is close to match (im sorry to say)
Old 04-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Alex48

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

bit off topic, mibo draken...please tell me more...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.