Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine waiver?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine waiver?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 01:42 PM
jp1961

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbine waiver?

I'm trying to get my turbine waiver from the AMA and I have a .PDF file of turbine CD holders, but there is no way to contact them. I live north of Detroit MI and east of Flint. I have one turbine holder that is willing to watch me fly and sign the form, but I need a CD holder.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 04-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Turbine waiver?

Welcome to the turbine world.

I'm sure a CD will chime in, and who is close to you.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Jeff,
Try the 1, 2, 3 process.
1: Check the Jet Event listing on this forum
2: Open the listing for "Michigan Jets"
3: Scroll down to the contact info and contact that individual. Phone and e-mail are provided.

Art ARRO
Old 04-28-2013, 02:38 PM
georbeckha
My Feedback: (12)

Hi Jeff,

I've talked with George Thomas at Michigan Jets many times and always found him to be a helpful stand up guy. He's the CD for that event. Him and his crew put on an amazing event at an amazing venue. I think he goes by Jet_Wings here on RCU. He may have an idea of any Jet CD's for you close by (Or relatively so).

George
Old 04-28-2013, 02:44 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Jeff,

I'm a member of the Flying Pilgrims in the Canton area. There are 10 or 12 of us with turbine waivers and 3 or 4 CD's in the club who fly regularly. Probably your best bet would be to stop by the field the next really nice Saturday or Sunday.
http://www.flyingpilgrims.com

Joe
Old 04-29-2013, 03:12 PM
jp1961

Joe,

Thanks for the info. Sent an e-mail to Tom. It's kind of difficult to get two turbine waiver holders (one being a CD) to watch me fly. The flying club I belong to (Flying Aces) only has one turbine waiver holder. Not sure why the AMA requires two. For folks living in rural areas, this is kind of difficult.

Jeff
Old 04-29-2013, 07:08 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Jeff

Not sure if you know this.

You are not the only one that has been in this kind of situation, someone from Guam ( I think ) was having the same problem, he wrote to the AMA and they came out with this.

In case of extenuating circumstances complying with the current application requirements the applicant
should submit a detailed written explanation. The AMA Safety Committee will review the information supplied
by the applicant. Any deviation from the current application process will require the majority vote of the AMA
Safety Committee.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:44 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: CARS II

Jeff

Not sure if you know this.

You are not the only one that has been in this kind of situation, someone from Guam ( I think ) was having the same problem, he wrote to the AMA and they came out with this.

In case of extenuating circumstances complying with the current application requirements the applicant
should submit a detailed written explanation. The AMA Safety Committee will review the information supplied
by the applicant. Any deviation from the current application process will require the majority vote of the AMA
Safety Committee.

Yes... but there is a difference from a guy living in a distant US territory... and a guy who just doesn't want to drive a little.

JP1961: I know it may be a pain... but that's the way they want it to be. (they don't want it to be too easy) Basically... They don't want someone who can simply write a check, to buy a big, heavy, fast, dangerous model, and fly it at their local park. I know that sounds crazy... but it would happen if the system wasn't in place, and self policing. Also... you are lucky... it's easier to get your waiver now than it use to be. As I understand... at one time, you had to basically do a ground school with the engine manufacturer, so you could learn how to safely run it.

I live close to Pitt PA (a major city) and I still had to drive to a club over an hour away, to meet with the CD to get my first signature. Then... I had to fly at a second field to get my second signature. In total... I spent 5 days flying at 2 fields (that wasn't my normal club) to get my sign-off. That was spread over 2 months.

OK... with that said... I get a feeling you have a poor attitude regarding RC Turbines. (if' I'm reading out of context, sorry) But... everyone here has done the same thing to get their waiver. So, complaining about having to go to a different field to get a second signature isn't going to work here. (not being harsh, just saying) But... you shoudln't think of it being a pain... look as it as... you GET to FLY at another field, and meet new people. (and get to FLY !!!) It's a hobby... have fun with it.

*****EDIT****

I just goggled JoeFlyers field... along with Flint and Detroit... and looking at your proximity to them... you are only an hour drive from his field. The invite has been open... so go there, and get your sign-off.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:26 AM
Art ARRO

The AMArequires that one of the two individuals that sign your turbine waiver application be a turbine-waivered Contest Director (CD). The CD is acting as an agent of the AMAin this process. In addition, the waivered CD can only sign off applicants for the turbine category that they are approved for; ie, fixed wing or rotary wing(helis).
Thecurrentprocess is far simpler than when I acquired my waiver , back in 2005, when a turbine ground schoolsession and a written exam were required. Also, there was a currency requirement, where the waiver holder had to log and document a number of turbine flights within a given period for their waiver renewal.
The waiver processhas beenestablished to ensure turbine safety operationand satisfies our liability insurance requuirements through the AMA.
JP1961: Recommend that you contact the Flying Pilgrims club to setup a turbine waiver qualification session. You should also download and review the AMATurbine Safety Regs and waiver application form from the AMAwebsite: www. modelaircraft.org.

Art ARRO, AMALeader Member/ CD
Turbine Waiver # 2570 (Fixed Wing)
Old 04-30-2013, 07:48 AM
CARS II

I'm with you Tony, most of us had to do some driving to get the turbine waiver complete.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:53 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Jim Hiller writes the column in the AMA Magazine on RC Jets, and I know that he lives in Michigan. You might shoot him a message and see if he can hook you up on getting your waiver taken care of. 

Click below to access his RCU member info and you can shoot him a PM from there:

Ken
Old 04-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Jetmodeler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff,
I know the turbine waiver process is a bit of a pain, but its real intent is education. I would suggest you take up the offer and visit the folks down at Flying Pilgrims and fly with them, and even fly the waiver process while your there, get a waiver at the same time. Hanging out with experienced turbine modelers will help you avoid some of the silly mistakes (at least they are to us now) that can be made from lack of knowledge. Like Tony said, its a great opportunity to make some new friends with a common interest, turbines. I know what Tony went thru for his turbine waiver, but like he said we all make new friends along the way and now we look forward to flying with him again at one of the jet friendly fields within and hour or two from us.
Joe next time I'm up in Detriot area I'll have to look you up for an invite to fly there at the Flying Pilgrims.
Jim Hiller
Old 04-30-2013, 02:29 PM
jp1961

Tony, you took my post WAY out of context. I don't have a poor attitude regarding obtaining a turbine waiver at all. Just running into problems contacted two waiver holders, with one being a CD. Sent an e-mail to the AMA and they didn't reply. They do post a national list of waiver holders, but no way of contacting them. I totally understand EVERYBODY had to go through the same process. In fact I've machined a turbine, however it only ran for a few seconds before the turbine wheel expanded and touched the nozzle guide vane housing.

Jeff
Old 04-30-2013, 03:06 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

It took me 3 months to get my waiver because of this. There is only one active waiver cd in like 400 miles of me. I was on the brink of getting an alternative process until finally I told the local waiver guy I was going to get a process like that unless he contacted me back. So your situation is quite a bit better than mine.

The ama waiver process is full of problems, please make sure you complain to the AMA they need to change it. Further, like the recent thread about the guy who wont sign people off who have a fly eagle jets. Getting judged based on race, based on your opinions, based on your online posts etc.. The AMA leaves that all open to happen.

Complain to the AMA, and then drive the 1 hour and get it done. Then you wont care like me
Old 04-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Art ARRO

Jeff,
I suggest that you contact AMA by phone and ask for Ilona Maine as she is very familiar with the waiver process. I'd ask her to put you in touch with a turbine CDin your area. She may ask for your contact info to be forwarded to the CD, rather than provide you with their contact- due to privacy concerns. Also, you can review the national list of waiver holders and select a local waivered CD. The listing is sorted by state and city. There are a few "speed bumps" in the process but Ilona at AMAHQ should smooth them over. Good luckwith all this.

ArtARRO

Old 04-30-2013, 03:33 PM
joeflyer

ORIGINAL: Jetmodeler
Joe next time I'm up in Detriot area I'll have to look you up for an invite to fly there at the Flying Pilgrims.
Jim Hiller
Jim,

You're welcome any time. We're widening, lengthening, and repaving our runway sometime within the next month or so. When we're done it should be the best jet friendly field in the state.

Joe

Old 04-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Dreddi
My Feedback: (3)

[quote]ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

ORIGINAL: CARS II

JP1961: I know it may be a pain... but that's the way they want it to be. (they don't want it to be too easy) Basically... They don't want someone who can simply write a check, to buy a big, heavy, fast, dangerous model, and fly it at their local park. I know that sounds crazy... but it would happen if the system wasn't in place, and self policing. Also... you are lucky... it's easier to get your waiver now than it use to be. As I understand... at one time, you had to basically do a ground school with the engine manufacturer, so you could learn how to safely run it.
As it is right now there is nothing that prevents someone from doing just that. If I wanted to take my jet to a park and fly it the AMA cant do anything to stop me. The AMA rules only apply when you're at an AMA charter club or event.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Art ARRO

Jeff,
I did a bit of research since my last post and confirmed that there are nine (9) turbine waivered CDs in MI, mostly clustered around the Detroit area. The roster is under AMADoc # 510-M, which is accessible to AMA Members Only. If you search AMADoc # 510-K, you will find contact information (name, address, phone,e-mail)for AMAAccepted CDs for Rotary Wing Turbine Signoffs. Several of these heli sign-off CDs can also sign-off fixed wing turbine pilots and you can contact them directly.
Finally, if you wish to contact Ilona Maine at AMAHQ, her phone # is: 1-800-435-9262, x 251. Glad to help and let us know how you make out.

Art ARRO

Old 04-30-2013, 04:28 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dreddi

As it is right now there is nothing that prevents someone from doing just that. If I wanted to take my jet to a park and fly it the AMA cant do anything to stop me. The AMA rules only apply when you're at an AMA charter club or event.
The AMA rules apply wherever you fly. It's up to you to follow them.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:33 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

AMA rules are only "enforcable" at AMA fields ie turbine waiver required.
AMA rules only apply at non AMA fields only if you want AMA insurance coverage

If you dont care about AMA insurance, go fly a turbine jet wherever you want except an AMA field.. Given home insurance is primary coverage for most of us, then you could in theory fly just fine without a turbine waiver off a dirt road or cough at a park LOL.

ORIGINAL: causeitflies

The AMA rules apply wherever you fly. It's up to you to follow them.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:46 PM
joeflyer

This thread vhas gotten way off topic.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Dreddi
My Feedback: (3)

Haha that tends to happen in open, public forums.

I would also like to mention that I would in no way, shape, or form fly any of my model aircraft at an unsafe location or in an unsafe manner... Just so happens that the best places for me to fly are AMA sanctioned clubs.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:01 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Jeff,
You need to be on a buddy box until you solo and are signed off.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:58 AM
Art ARRO

essyou35,
Note that as an AMAmember you are obligated to fly model aircraft under their Safety Code. You signed on this when you joined AMA and it is valid for all renewals ofyour membership. The Safety Code has specific wording regarding turbine-powered aircraft- see Section 2 (j) of the Safety Code and AMADocument # 510-A for further details on this.
If you feel that the current regs are poor/unfair/etc then contact AMAHQ with your suggested changes. These will be reviewed by the Turbine Sub-Committee of the Safety Comittee
, the Insurance Committee and forwarded to the Executive Council for ratification. Safety is foremost for the continued operation of turbine powered model aircraft in the US.

Art ARRO
Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 AM
CARS II

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

Dreddi your quote should look like this one, I never said that from the quote you posted.

Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.