Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Blue Angels F/A 18 Colors

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Blue Angels F/A 18 Colors

Old 05-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Miniflyer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Blue Angels F/A 18 Colors

Hey Guys,

i'm reworking a F18 in BA colors, and am getting different infos on the colors used. I'm hoping someone can shed some light.
The Blue that is apparently used is FS35050 Blue Angels Blue.
On the Yellow the infos are drifting far apart though. I'm getting FS33655 Blue Angels Yellow, FS33538 Insignia Yellow and also "Crome Yellow" as a reference.
Does anyone have better infos on that?

very best regards
Hank
Old 05-04-2013, 03:00 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Blue Angels F/A 18 Colors

Hank,
 Here is the Federal Specs on colors. They list both the "Blue Angels Blue" and the "Blue Angels Yellow"

Blue Angels Blue - FS 15050[/b]
Blue Angels Yellow - FS 13655[/b]

Looking at these specs I would your FS33655 would be the yellow to go with

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 05-04-2013, 10:20 PM
jedijingle
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The blue Angel blue on that spec chart seems a bit dark, (almost black). Has anyone used these colors, and if so, how did they look??
Old 05-05-2013, 03:00 AM
Miniflyer

Thanks for that link, that one i did not see yet.
I've been using this one:
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorch...rcharts_fs.htm
It seems it displays the colors a bit better, most of the discrepancys should come from the webpage programming. Never trust a color on the screen.

However it did not really help me in my quest to find the actual FS numbers. The Blues have changed colors throughout their history numerous times, both the yellow and the blue. Originally it seems they started out in Navy Blue and Gold lettering, then they have mixed their paints themselves (i read something about 3 parts insignia blue+1part insignia white from a guy that worked on the blues in the 50's). There was even a slight paint change upon moving from the A-4 to the F-18....the actual BA paint apparently comes from a small paintshop in Pensacola. So much to my gathered knowlege so far....

Therefore a blue angels yellow was surely used on the team at some point, main question is: is it used on the current BA aircraft?

Best regards
Hank
Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: jedijingle

The blue Angel blue on that spec chart seems a bit dark, (almost black). Has anyone used these colors, and if so, how did they look??
Yes, when displayed on a webpage it is dark. This has more to do with the a web browser displays colors and not the actual color of the paint. If you apply the FS number for that paint it will be correct.

Back in my younger days I was a huge builder of plastic models. I put together a complete set of all the planes ever used by the Blue Angels (which included having to actually vacuum form several planes becasue they weren't available in the scale I was building in) and those are the FS numbers that used back then as well. Trust me that researching things like paint numbers was a lot harder back in the 80's before the Internet was around!!!

Ken

Old 05-06-2013, 04:09 AM
Miniflyer

ORIGINAL: RCKen
and those are the FS numbers that used back then as well. Trust me that researching things like paint numbers was a lot harder back in the 80's before the Internet was around!!!

Ken

I sure will believe that! Even nowadays it is often hard to research older types...
But if those are the colors used back then, and there was a color change, that would suggest todays Blues use another tone?

Hank
Old 05-06-2013, 04:50 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 259 Likes on 208 Posts

I have one a few blocks from the house, do you need pictures of it?
Old 05-06-2013, 05:01 AM
Miniflyer

Thank you very much for the offer! I managed to shoot a pretty good walkaround at the 2009 BA Homecoming in Pensacola, but if anything should come up that i missed i'll be glad to come back to the offer.
Just the color codes would be enough at this point.