Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

T-38A Details needed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

T-38A Details needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Miniflyer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default T-38A Details needed

Hi Guys,

after some years of thinking about it, i finally got my hands on an Airworld F-5F. Of course this was the chance to convert it to a T-38A, one of the prettiest airplanes ever built.
I have already reworked the entire nose section and will take care of the wing strakes next. Afterwards i'll be just about ready to get to painting it. As a paint job i decided to take the Sheppard AFB ENJJPT scheme that my old man was instructor on. One example is still on display at sheppard as a gate guard.

I have however not been able to find detailed shots of the stenciling used on this aircraft. Especially the stuff behind the rear canopy as well as just in front of the horizontal stabilizer. See here:

Does anyone have some closeup shots of those stencils, or maybe access to a gate guard for some shots?
Also, are the stencils in black or in insignia blue?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Best regards
Hank
Old 05-07-2013, 12:48 PM
cmjets

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: T-38A Details needed

Hi Hank:

The Talon is too my most favorite model. It is a good idea built it from a Airworld kit, but you will need built the nose, of course and the intakes, because in the F-5 has diferent shape.

The T-38 is a future project for me, in 1/5 scale too.

Regards from Spain.
Carlos Márquez
Old 05-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Miniflyer,

Have you ever tried to find a plastic model of this airplane to use the decals from the kit as a reference to all the tail markings that you are looking for. This is what i usually do as it is a great help when you are trying to get the best detailed markings available.

This is the kit that i found for my next project and i will use the decals out of it to have all of my Dry Transfers scaled up off of them when i am ready to do the finish work on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76420.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1880011  
Old 05-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Miniflyer

Carlos,
the Dremel took off the nose just in front of the canopy. Everything forward has been rebuilt from scale documents and 3D CAD models. Intakes are suprisingly close on the airworld, they just need to be cut differently and changed very slightly. Also the wing strakes need to be removed, and the wingspan increased just a tad. If you'll be going 1/5 as well: i am considering making a mold of the nose section....

Greg,
I did think about that, but there are mostly 1/72 scale '38s out there, and those decals are unreadable. Very few 1/48s are available, and they are often very wrong, and the decals do not match the photos at all. 1/32 is not available at all, so that makes it very difficult....i'm counting on pictures of someone with access to one, maybe even someone around SPS.

cheers
hank
Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hank,

My son (that lucky devil!!!) is flying T-38s in ENJJPT at Sheppard right now .. is it the "plane on a stick" that you want photos of? I can ask him if he can help...

Dave
Old 05-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Miniflyer

Dave,

yes, that is just the scheme i will be doing!
If your son could go to that "plane on a stick" and get me a good walkaround, and some readable close-up details of all the stencils (and a shot of the intakes from directly below) in high definition that would be absolutely awesome!
I'm sure you're very proud. My old man started his career in aviation there back in '77 on T-37 and T-38, and ended it with a 3 1/2 year assignment on T-38 as instructor back in '95. Some of the BFM your son is learning right now was probably written by him. Such an awesome place!
Last year my brother also went through pilot training in SPS.....i did not have the plane then so i missed the chance to get the photos myself.

Give your son my very best regards, he should enjoy every second in the Talon, they dont make 'em like that anymore nowadays .

Cheers
Hank