Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Aussie turbine regulations?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Aussie turbine regulations?

Old 09-21-2003, 05:43 PM
stumax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aussie turbine regulations?

Hi guys, I'm about to buy a new radio prior to my venture into turbines but I hesitated when the chap in the shop told me that in Australia we need a whole bunch of extra channels to meet the turbine safety regs. What is actually required? I have heard that I will need:

1. separate channel for fuel cutoff
2. wheel brakes
3. spool down

Is it legal to have wheel brakes linked with say the last few % of flaps? Is it legal to have spool down an independent function within the ecu? ie so that you set it into spooldown mode by holding min throttle with trim back for 10 secs or so?

Also, is it necessary to have an ecu certified? I can easily make my own which would incorporate all the functions above (except shutoff - it should be all by itself) and include my brushless starter/generator idea from ages ago. I have the capability to perform an FMEA on it (I work in the auto industry - we live by FMEA's!) and the code inside, and I don't particulalry want others poking around inside to see how it works. What's required?

thanks,
Old 09-22-2003, 08:14 AM
raiki

Default RE: Aussie turbine regulations?

I am not a Turbine pilot, maybe someday, but here is a link to the Aussie Rules (not the football variety). I have a BVM Viper and BVM91/Viojett, unflown so far (by me at least).

http://www.maaa.asn.au/mop/procedure...Feb%202003.pdf

According to this you do need a seperate channel for fuel shut off and a manual shut off (tap). Overspeed/temperature protection is mandatory. In my quick flick through I couldn't find a reference to brakes being mandatory, although I was under the impression they were. It only says a model must be 'suitably restrained' during startup-shutdown.

Have a read, it'll tell you all you need to know.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:21 AM
renegade pilot

Hi Stu,

In relation to turbine reg's a separate fuel shutoff is required. I do not know of anybody who is not using brakes and they really are essential for turbine ops. ECU's do not have to be certified.
If you are considering venturing into turbines I would suggest that you will want to purchase a radio with as many channels as you can afford as you will definitely find a use eventually. Most guys in Australia are flying either JR or Futaba with a small number of guys using Gruapner. JR are by far the most prolific with the 10X being most popular.
If the budget does not stretch to that then a good choice is the 3810. The guys flying Futaba are using the 9/10 channel top line sets.
If you want good, reliable advice then I would suggest contacting Peter Agnew at Intairco (www.intairco.net) Ph (03) 97180120. He is an MAAA turbine inspector and would be able to help you out.

Regards,

Russell.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:33 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

If the budget does not stretch to that then a good choice is the 3810
Do you mean 8103 JR Eight channel radio???
Old 09-22-2003, 03:52 PM
six shooter

Do you mean 8103 JR Eight channel radio
They are down under, so everything is flipped around
Old 09-22-2003, 04:23 PM
tahfiet

Hi Russell!

Everything ready for Wangaratta? I will be there, if I manage to change my flight. I hope I can bring a jet this time.

Greetings from germany,

David Büsken
Old 09-22-2003, 04:48 PM
renegade pilot

Terry,

Looking at some of the American mags JR give different model numbers and configurations to some of their radios. In Australia the 3810 is a 10 channel 8 model memory PCM radio at around $1000 aus compared with the PCM10X at $2500 aus.

David

I hope you can change your flight, we are looking forward to seeing you here again.
This year we have 6 pilots coming over from New Zealand and a possibility of the boys from PST in Thailand making a return. The venue is excellent, the runway is the same as Mangalore only smoother and with much better facilities. The airport will be closed for the 3 days of the event excepting for one hour each day. The aerodrome hosts a museum which also does warbird restoration. They currently have a P40 Kittyhawk, a Harvard and a Winjeel operational and there is a possibility of flying demonstrations during the one hour periods. Accomodation is 7km from the field in a large town.
Hopefully I will have my Avonds F15/Jetcat120 ready to go.
Should be a fantastic weekend.

Best regards,

Russell Eastaway.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:37 PM
stumax

Thanks very much, guys. Actually I found the MAAA MOP yesterday, but I wonder if the state bodies have any extra rules? The JR3810 was the system I was looking at - I can't see the need for any more channels - I don't have enough fingers to operate them!

BTW, regarding the meet at Wanga - where is the field? Is it the aerodrome where they held the world champs a few times? I might come down with my EDF F104 if it's done.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:54 PM
Terry Holston

In Australia the 3810 is a 10 channel 8 model memory PCM radio at around $1000 aus compared with the PCM10X at $2500 aus.

Uhhhhh OK.[&o] As far as I know that radio is not available in the US. Anyone heard of it here?????
Old 09-23-2003, 09:11 AM
renegade pilot

Hi Stu,

You are correct, the field for Wangaratta jets is at the Wangaratta aerodrome. The event is being held on the 21st, 22nd and 23rd November. We have previously held this event the past three years at Mangalore aerodrome but have had to have a change of venue. There will be quite a few guys coming down from Sydney so it would be a good oportunity for you to meet up with them and do a bit of networking for assistance.
If you have a look at the Intairco website you will find the details of the jet meet and accomodation. There are also contact details for myself and Peter Agnew. Feel free to drop me a call or email if you want more details. If you want to email me your address details I will arrange for the event mailout to be sent to you. This is the largest jet event in Australia and is always well attended so I am sure you would find the trip worthwhile.

regards

Russell.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:36 PM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Terry Holston

In Australia the 3810 is a 10 channel 8 model memory PCM radio at around $1000 aus compared with the PCM10X at $2500 aus.

Uhhhhh OK.[&o] As far as I know that radio is not available in the US. Anyone heard of it here?????
Yo, Terry. The Aussie 3810 is the same as the North American 8103. It's just the JR marketing pukes doing their thing. I think it's also the 3810 in Europe.

...jim
Old 09-23-2003, 08:35 PM
Terry Holston

Yo, Terry. The Aussie 3810 is the same as the North American 8103. It's just the JR marketing pukes doing their thing. I think it's also the 3810 in Europe.

...jim
Yeah??? Well the thing that threw me is, he said it (3810) was 10 channel with 8 model memory. The 8103 is 8 channel with 10 model memory. I was just wondering if JR made a 10 ch radio for less cash than the 10x. THAT was my question.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 09-24-2003, 06:21 AM
raiki

The Aussie X3810 is 3 model types, 8 channels and 10 model memories (mine certainly is). Same as the XP8103 in the US.

I hope to be at Wangaratta too (hopefully with the Viper but looking doubtful I'll finish it in time), but it's a big drive for us South Aussies (imagine the wife nagging for the full 1000 odd km !!!!!!!!, assuming I can convince her to come).

As for 8 being enough channels, no way for me. When the F14 nears completion (might be a while) I will have to by an 10X or even a 12 channel graupner.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:28 PM
Terry Holston

The Aussie X3810 is 3 model types, 8 channels and 10 model memories (mine certainly is). Same as the XP8103 in the US.

I hope to be at Wangaratta too (hopefully with the Viper but looking doubtful I'll finish it in time), but it's a big drive for us South Aussies (imagine the wife nagging for the full 1000 odd km !!!!!!!!, assuming I can convince her to come).

As for 8 being enough channels, no way for me. When the F14 nears completion (might be a while) I will have to by an 10X or even a 12 channel graupner.
Well alrighty then, thats what I thought.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:27 PM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Terry Holston

...jim
Yeah??? Well the thing that threw me is, he said it (3810) was 10 channel with 8 model memory. The 8103 is 8 channel with 10 model memory. I was just wondering if JR made a 10 ch radio for less cash than the 10x. THAT was my question.[sm=confused.gif]
Whoopsie! Missed that part. (Not something I do often. [sm=surprised.gif] )

Sorry about that. It all makes sense now.

...jim
Old 09-24-2003, 08:15 PM
renegade pilot

Terry,

Sorry about the misinformation. It was about 4am while at work that I posted my response. Obviously the old grey matter wasnt performing at its best!!

Rssell.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:06 AM
viper1

You are correct, the field for Wangaratta jets is at the Wangaratta aerodrome. The event is being held on the 21st, 22nd and 23rd November. We have previously held this event the past three years at Mangalore aerodrome but have had to have a change of venue.
Great, date changed as well so it falls together now with the Opening of the Victorian State Flying Field.
Bummer, there goes my schedule..... [:@]
Old 09-29-2003, 05:46 AM
Terryoc

Hi Stu
if you can streach your new radio budjet another $200 go for the new JR PCM 9X it is 9 channel 20 memory but the main differance and advantage that I see over the 3810 is the 2 aux channel knobs on top of the 3810 are moved to the sides like the 10sx which would make flap and the other channel a lot earier to use. I use a 3810 and use the flap knob for mixture and you have to take your hand away from the stick to adjust it .
Terry