Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Redesign/build FEJ

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Redesign/build FEJ

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 01:12 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Redesign/build FEJ

Doom I had to 1/6 version, had honeycomb stabs and rudder. I never had flutter with either I did full speed flight with it as well. The only mod I did to my f16 was convert my gear to electric and add small block to door cylinder which was on honeycomb. I had the old style pull pull with ply bulkheads.
ORIGINAL: drdoom

I Have the 1/7th F-16 HC. Should I do something to strengthen the stab itself?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:30 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats good to know. I still might back fill with Hysol. or build my own set of stabs.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:28 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To try and be constructive here, not all FEJ planes are created equal. The older fiberglass planes might have more success. The tried and true planes that are also made by other manufacturers may also have more success. The 1/6 F-16 and 1/4 Hawk come to mind. Guys seem to have success with them... at least the fiberglass versions.

It's the new planes designed by FEJ that seem problematic (F-14, large F-18) and if you guys can figure out a solution to make them airworthy then maybe FEJ will incorporate that feedback.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:05 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: EDFJim

On theF-18F main gear I am adding strength by turning it into an I beam .
Jim the I beam system is great. The bulkheads are the week point now. I would sandwich new bulkheads beside the orginals. On the inside to pick up the load from the I beams if you have room. Dan Avilla

Old 05-24-2013, 03:17 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just a thought here , but has anyone tried to drill a small hole into the stabs and fill with a measurement of urethane expanding foam ? It would NOT add a lot of weight and add torsion strength to the stabs.

Tim
Old 05-24-2013, 03:21 PM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: TimD.

Just a thought here , but has anyone tried to drill a small hole into the stabs and fill with a measurement of urethane expanding foam ? It would NOT add a lot of weight and add torsion strength to the stabs.

Tim
Tim,
You dont' want to do that.
Expand foam will destroy the stabs.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:38 PM
TimD.

Tam,
You dont think injection when still in molds would work either?

I had spine surgery this morning and on some of the GOOD stuff right now. I am just rambling, usually I do not post. I just read everyones topics and replies to learn from.

Glad to see ya back in the Hobby regularly. Maybe we need make good kits for everyone :,)

Tim
Old 05-24-2013, 09:44 PM
EDFJim

ORIGINAL: David Searles

Jim,

This is from Oli's excellent article published in the April/May issue of RCJI. It WORKS!

David S
Looks great thanks for posting
Old 05-24-2013, 09:49 PM
tamjets

ORIGINAL: TimD.

Tam,
You dont think injection when still in molds would work either?

I had spine surgery this morning and on some of the GOOD stuff right now. I am just rambling, usually I do not post. I just read everyones topics and replies to learn from.

Glad to see ya back in the Hobby regularly. Maybe we need make good kits for everyone :,)

Tim
Tim
I'm done with kits. Way too much work for little money and all this on rcu lately is the last things anyone need.. I try to chime in here and there to share some my experience.
I do more fishing lately. Flying once awhile with groups guy at BW.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:49 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Agree with Tam on that. The typical expanding foam actually generates a fair bit of pressure and will bulge out the skins.(I tried to make a plug once with this stuff and it wrecked everything) But a good idea though if we could find some that is a bit on the lighter side.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:06 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, 3 articles of 3 pages with full build and upgrade details, all the pictures and test flights including Tam's pipe upgrade.
This jet now is 3 years old and has nearly 300 flights on the clock. It does very well with the B300F on board.

You guys also have a full detail of these mods in the F-18F thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_77..._1/key_/tm.htm

I have also detailed the full theoretical analysis of the stabilator on this plane in the flight controls article series.
I will publish a resume of this in the stabilizer blog part 2.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:34 AM
tamjets

ORIGINAL: olnico

Yep, 3 articles of 3 pages with full build and upgrade details, all the pictures and test flights including Tam's pipe upgrade.
This jet now is 3 years old and has nearly 300 flights on the clock. It does very well with the B300F on board.

I have also detailed the full theoretical analysis of the stabilator on this plane in the flight controls article series.
The pipe last over 300 flights. That another great feedback for me. I believe one customer had like over 500 flights.
The airframe wore out before the pipe.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:37 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: tamjets

The pipe last over 300 flights. That another great feedback for me. I believe one customer had like over 500 flights.

Actually Tam, I had 150 flights with your P-200 pipe and 150 flights with your B300F pipe. Both look like brand new but I am only using the B300F pipe now for obvious reasons...
Old 05-25-2013, 03:51 AM
tamjets

Actually Tam, I had 150 flights with your P-200 pipe and 150 flights with your B300F pipe. Both look like brand new but I am only using the B300F pipe now for obvious reasons...
Oh yeah. I remember making bigger pipe for b300f.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:41 AM
john josey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering why you would use a straight servo arm with the off-set on one side only to put the one pushrod at 90deg to the centre of the servo output. I've always used a servo disc and off-set both balls to the rear meaning both rods are at 90deg to the output spline at neutral and are of equall lenth.

I know there will be good reason for the straight arm against the symmetrical set-up the round disc allows ?

Thanks in advance

john

Old 05-25-2013, 05:43 AM
TimD.

ORIGINAL: dbsonic

Agree with Tam on that. The typical expanding foam actually generates a fair bit of pressure and will bulge out the skins.(I tried to make a plug once with this stuff and it wrecked everything) But a good idea though if we could find some that is a bit on the lighter side.

I agree, but I was referring to injection while the part still in the mold . The mold would maintain the shape as long as the it is not overfilled. You would have to caculate the amount to be injected per part.

Tam,
Biggest problem I see theese days is that most everyone is OVERpowering the planes which requires more fuel and extra added weight then overstressing the designs or hitting VNE. That does tend to SCARE manuf. and gunna drive up cost on future models.

I am still kicking myself for not grabbing one of you A4's when you did them.

Tim
Old 05-25-2013, 05:46 AM
TimD.

ORIGINAL: john josey

Just wondering why you would use a straight servo arm with the off-set on one side only to put the one pushrod at 90deg to the centre of the servo output. I've always used a servo disc and off-set both balls to the rear meaning both rods are at 90deg to the output spline at neutral and are of equall lenth.

I know there will be good reason for the straight arm against the symmetrical set-up the round disc allows ?

Thanks in advance

john

As long as the drive mechanism is solid. The servo will provide maximum power output without stressing the drive train.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Area51.5

Do pipes have a life expectancy?
Old 05-25-2013, 08:32 AM
tamjets

ORIGINAL: Area51.5

Depend on operator and engine run properly can last long time.
Can't speak other pipe copy cat.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Area51.5

Well i was talking about your pipes, if you dont have any hot starts and you normal is there a ball park or you just fly them till it fails?

Old 05-25-2013, 10:52 AM
tamjets

Well i was talking about your pipes, if you dont have any hot starts and you normal is there a ball park or you just fly them till it fails?

Nothing bullet proof.
Inspect regularly and look for any spot weld come loose.
That when it need to replace.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:08 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had hundreds of flights on Tam pipes without a single issue. Once I had a Tam pipe in my F-4 that showed some discoloration at the Y section. I brought the pipe to Tam just for piece of mind. Tam could have easily told me some BS for me to buy another one, but he said it was still strong and gave me some advice on what to look for in the future. A Tam pipe should be a requirement for a FEJ plane since they have a long history of failed pipes. You may be able to get away with stock factory pipes from other manufacturers, but your mileage will vary.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:41 AM
lenhard2007
My Feedback: (6)

i bought one of tams 1/8 f16 for the turbine in gel coat. think it was his last one. anyway, painted it in Minute men scheme and have flown it 25+. easiest jet ive ever flown and easy to set up since it was the elevon version. also put one of this pipes in it.
Tam...wish u would make ur kits still. id buy one even at a higher price.
www.youtube.com/watch
Old 05-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Area51.5

Thanks, i just assumned they lasted for ever, i wasnt saying or implying his pipe didnt last. You guys really need to relax, gsshhhh

Nothing bullet proof.
Inspect regularly and look for any spot weld come loose.
That when it need to replace.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:01 PM
EDFJim

Blast from the past tam F-16 1/8

A great flying model

http://youtu.be/jE8KFdyyFxw

Radio not so great that day ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.